• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
This really is a true sequel to rage

- crap story
- boring driving (at least they've added some decent flying vehicles etc this time which helps)
- AMAZING gunplay

Except now they have added

- a boring openworld
- boring side objectives like the sentries

If it wasn't for the amazing combat and powers I probably would have quit already.

Thankfully you can ignore the crappy side objectives and just head to the nearest outpost for more awesome gun action

I am curious to see what dlc plans they have in the future and hopefully they can improve the openworld more .

I am enjoying it way more then far cry new dawn at least and that's largely due to the amazing combat .

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Enjoying the game a lot but have just discovered that after the initial mission for each of your major npc's they only give you one more each,then it's the end game..........that's really not much of a main campaign.......it's good that running around the map clearing all the markers is so much fun because I'm going to have to do that between each main mission just to stretch it out.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Also I think those are cherry picked images. I beat the original Rage recently and also applied a very meticulously modded Reshade ini I made and made it look decent. I can objectively say that Rage 2 is a better looking and running game than the original. I haven't seen any Reshade profiles for Rage 2 yet but I might make one soon to see if I can make it look a hell of a lot better than it does now.

I mean, speaking of cherry-picked, you can put your face up in a texture in just about any game and see stuff like this still today, including Rage 2.

Also I don't have a resolution scale option on X so I'm stuck with the same exact visuals they gave the Pro for whatever reason.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Unlocking the Icarus gyrocopter makes travelling so much fun.

How/where/when do you get this? If the traversal is as tedious as people are making it out to be, I'd like to get something that'd reduce it as much as possible - like the gyrocopter - as early as possible.

I'm gonna be playing the game solely for the shooty-bang and nothing else.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, speaking of cherry-picked, you can put your face up in a texture in just about any game and see stuff like this still today, including Rage 2.

Also I don't have a resolution scale option on X so I'm stuck with the same exact visuals they gave the Pro for whatever reason.
True but I remember the original Rage looking like someone smeared Vaseline on my gaming monitor when I first played it 8 years ago. It was terrible.

I think I misread your post I thought you said the Rage 1 pics were 4K down sampled to 1080p :/

All in all I think Rage 2 is slightly better than the original just because of the combat and skill tree for abilities and weapons. Driving, story and the initiative to explore are still trash-tier which pretty much confirms that this game was made on a tight budget and window. Hopefully they make another Rage 10 years down the line and and spend a little money and time correcting the glaring flaws Rage 2 has.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I hate cookie cutter check list open worlds but somehow I loved Mad Max to death and obsessed over it for 3/4 weeks at the time. I think Rage 2 is perfect for me, but I need to read some impression on base PS4 performance. Anyone have some insight for me?

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I hate cookie cutter check list open worlds but somehow I loved Mad Max to death and obsessed over it for 3/4 weeks at the time. I think Rage 2 is perfect for me, but I need to read some impression on base PS4 performance. Anyone have some insight for me?
I've had a smooth 30fps in outpost shootouts.Noticed a couple of dips when driving around when a lot of stuff was going on around me.Gunplay is sublime and performance hasn't been an issue.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's disappointing to see the game world and strutcure being barebone. I was expecting a universe out of this game with lots of story, characters and side quests. Not just a boring sandbox.

Also the driving being 10 times worse than Mad Max is a shame.

I hate cookie cutter check list open worlds but somehow I loved Mad Max to death and obsessed over it for 3/4 weeks at the time.

Same. The aesthetic, art style, color, lighting and atmosphere somehow won me over. Not to mention the driving and vehicle combat feels immensely satisfying. I enjoyed Mad Max just as much as other 2015 GOTYs like MGSV, Witcher 3, Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
For the hell of it, I felt like comparing both games' versions of Wellspring. All shots are 4K resized to 1920x1080. The RAGE 1 shots I took like 6 years ago.

Outside:
8929522250_e69405cea1_o.png

40891860803_ab4898a74f_o.png

Inside:

8929493852_00261066cb_o.png

40891860003_460fe2e5e3_o.png
Only problem is the time of day is not lined up at all, so you are only getting real time indirect lighting instead of all the shadows there from the sun. It makes the rage 2 shots look much worse than they otherwise would.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Ever play a game where you feel your opinion is opposite of a lot of the gaming enthusiasts/podcast personalities you like?

This is Rage 2 in a nutshell for me.

I am loving the gun play, most of the open world, the story has been enjoyable. Hearing Giant Bomb talk about this dead open world, when I'm constantly getting engaged by either pedestrians or various faction vehicles. Jeff saying that he had never been attacked by another vehicle is head scratching. Within 5 minutes in the open world the first time I was out numbered by 3 goons and taken out. Yes the map is Ubi style marker clearing, but the gameplay makes all of these events in the moment to moment feel better to me, especially clearing Arks and the mutant missions I have completed so far.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
One thing I kinda miss is the old id software game areas from the first one.

Shoulda had a secret door you could go through and it's Rage 1 on the other side.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I tried it yesterday and it feels like the shooting parts are abit separated (maybe in the beginning) but I had fun. I just wish it had less tutorials.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
How/where/when do you get this? If the traversal is as tedious as people are making it out to be, I'd like to get something that'd reduce it as much as possible - like the gyrocopter - as early as possible.

I'm gonna be playing the game solely for the shooty-bang and nothing else.

Get the Dr's reputation to 7 and it unlocks in your menu to summon.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried to up the sharpening on their TVs to counteract the softness in the game? And did that work? This game desperately needs a sharpening slider.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Full disclosure, I haven't played Rage 2 yet but this is pretty much verbatim my exact review of Far Cry 5. I think it's indicative of the difficult issues with this genre. One example — In Far Cry 5 I would raid an outpost and it always just felt like it was totally inconsequential to the overall story.

How does FC5 compare to Rage 2? Eyeing that one after I finish up R2.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Game is dropping in price consistently on cdkeys and places like it. It's now $35 on cdkeys, was $38 the other day.

Thinking it's not selling that well, at least not on PC.

Mar 29, 2018

It's disappointing to see the game world and strutcure being barebone. I was expecting a universe out of this game with lots of story, characters and side quests. Not just a boring sandbox.

Also the driving being 10 times worse than Mad Max is a shame.

Same. The aesthetic, art style, color, lighting and atmosphere somehow won me over. Not to mention the driving and vehicle combat feels immensely satisfying. I enjoyed Mad Max just as much as other 2015 GOTYs like MGSV, Witcher 3, Bloodborne.
You all gotta play Days Gone

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Anyone else getting whole lines of audio dropped? I had to turn on subtitles because 1 out of every 30 or so lines just aren't spoken.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, just fired this up. First impression so far- yup, it's an FPS. Opening section is not impressive in any way. And the graphics? Oof. They're especially bad that morning after the intro fight. I was walking around just to look at stuff, and a lot of these texture are shite, like minimum pc settings shite.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
This really is a true sequel to rage

- crap story
- boring driving (at least they've added some decent flying vehicles etc this time which helps)
- AMAZING gunplay

Except now they have added

- a boring openworld
- boring side objectives like the sentries

If it wasn't for the amazing combat and powers I probably would have quit already.

Thankfully you can ignore the crappy side objectives and just head to the nearest outpost for more awesome gun action

I am curious to see what dlc plans they have in the future and hopefully they can improve the openworld more .

I am enjoying it way more then far cry new dawn at least and that's largely due to the amazing combat .

Crazy how much of a sequel it is.

It's also the most polar game I've played in a while. High framerate and a FOV slider on PS4 Pro is terrific and the combat is amazingly fun. Everything else is hilariously trash.

Outside of the combat, all of it is shockingly bad for a AAA-developed game in 2019. Last night I was running around completely square, empty warehouses that look like something out of an alpha stage PS4 launch game.

More than anything, Rage 2 makes me excited for Doom - a game smart enough to double down on its strengths and not bury them under garbage... hopefully.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017

Far Cry 5 I felt was a disappointment personally. The characters are underdeveloped and mostly inconsequential but the garbage story acts like you should care about them even though they spent more time giving the characters backstories and motivations in the trailers for the game than in the game itself. Combat has more options on how to approach it, such as doing stealth or full on guns blazing, but the enemy AI feels dumber than past FC games and the guns feel off. Oddly the game also (maybe this has been patched) feels like it's worried about you getting bored if you don't run into anything every 3 minutes and spawns either an angry animal or enemies in your area. The locations in the world usually involve light traversal puzzles that are interesting, plus there's hunting and fishing and some variation on activities that are fun to do. The game features a silent protagonist which felt weird for Far Cry, though man I would rather the protagonist in Rage 2 be silent. The plot is pants on head dumb, and once you reach a level in different zones you get kidnapped because even though you're murdering hundreds of cultists who spend all their time trying to kill you, they for some reason are able to kidnap you multiple times instead of outright murdering you, because that was the best they could think of to fit in plot segments that suck anyway.

But you also can roll out with Cheeseburger the bear and a cougar as your allies like a goddamn beastmaster.

New Dawn might be better.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The Death Cult God boss battle is such bullshit. Throwing as many mutants as possible making it impossible to Dodge them and the boss itself. Have no health Infusions so I'm screwed playing on hard.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just gotta throw these two clips up here that I recorded, the gunplay in this game is spectacular once you unlock your powers, it may overtake Doom 2016 as my favorite FPS gameplay for the time being until Eternal comes out. You really feel like a superhero, and the Michael Bay explosions bring it to the next level. The open-world does drag it down a little, but I like how it allows you to handle things at your own pace and discretion . . . if the game was more linear, I don't know if it would differentiate itself from Doom enough . . .

It's the perfect example of a '7/10' game. Not the best, most polished thing in the world, but damn, it's so fun to gib baddies in it. I'm also getting great performance on my 1080ti @ 1440 ultrawide.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Finished this today. If anybody is sitting on the fence it comes highly recommended. Amazing gameplay, you feel like a total badass when you get all your powers. Shooting is even better than Doom. I even enjoyed the open world aspects, just travelling around the world clearing out camps and stuff. Can't wait to play again on a harder difficulty. Normal mode was probably too easy by the end.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Finished this today. If anybody is sitting on the fence it comes highly recommended. Amazing gameplay, you feel like a total badass when you get all your powers. Shooting is even better than Doom. I even enjoyed the open world aspects, just travelling around the world clearing out camps and stuff. Can't wait to play again on a harder difficulty. Normal mode was probably too easy by the end.

I agree 100%. I'd recommend Nightmare, it's tough at first and you really need to learn hit and run tactics at the beginning, but you feel yourself getting stronger with new unlocks and perks. It's tough, but fair, if you don't think quickly on the fly you get punished for it.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I agree 100%. I'd recommend Nightmare, it's tough at first and you really need to learn hit and run tactics at the beginning, but you feel yourself getting stronger with new unlocks and perks. It's tough, but fair, if you don't think quickly on the fly you get punished for it.

Yep, weird thing is I found Doom too hard and had to finish on Easy mode hahaha. 😳

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
After getting to play a bit, this game just makes me sad.

It could have been a sufficient but forgettable shooter. A not-bad-but-nothing-special Doom 2016 knock off. The kind of nice, light, snacky affair you play over a week or two, maybe finish, then never remember until someone brings it up a couple of years later and you think, "Oh hey, yeah, that game was alright."

There's a decent bit of core shooter gameplay in there. Somewhere. I think. Maybe. Just having trouble finding it under the heaving layers of extraneous Ubisoft-brand fat that someone, somewhere, decided needed to be included.

The game gives me a few minutes of mindless shooty fun at semi-regular intervals. Then in between those all too rare intervals it brings proceedings to a screeching halt so I can run around ticking off a collectible checklist or going on a commute. 2/6 Supply boxes, 0/1 Nanite crates etc. Fun fun fun!

And even if I chose to ignore that shit, the game still displays a distressing penchant for locking me in a room with a boring NPC yapping boring dialogue. I dread finding powerups because each one comes with an incredibly slow tutorial in which a voiceover describes what to do, then the game pauses to show me a text box telling me the exact same damn thing the voiceover just said. Then it won't let me out until I've demonstrated that I can use a fucking dodge button or an alternate fire mode.

What's especially bizarre to me is that this is made by the same studio that did that forgettable Mad Max game a few years back. A game with actually fun vehicle combat that was constantly obstructed by an Ubisoft-brand open world full of collectible checklists. So apparently they looked at that and said, "Okay, for our next derivative open-desert game, we need to make the vehicle stuff worse in every way, but definitely keep the collectible checklists as is, everyone loves those! 5/8 supply boxes for life, baby!"

It's like eating a sandwich made with one jar of jam and three tons of bread.

But hey. at least it stays faithful to the legacy of the original Rage by spreading the good bits so painfully thin and interspersing it with rubbish.
I agree with what you said, well formulated. I played Mad Max at release and loved it. Driving around, destroying a camp and being on my way again. Rage 2 is similar in that aspect, but the encounters are realy short and the open world is a bit too strechted for my taste. Sadly the car combat in Rage 2 feels like a step back, hopefully the can spice it up a bit.

Overall I will wait to see how and if there are any changes, right now I can´t motivate me to play.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Played it some more. I must be a weirdo, but I'm one of those people who enjoys wandering around a map completing checklists, and I'm enjoying doing that in this game.

My only real complaint is that the game really needs a bunch of sweet music. At least license some stuff for the radio in the cars, guys.

Wandering and poking around ruins is way better with a soundtrack. See: Fallout.

Oct 27, 2017
Just gotta throw these two clips up here that I recorded, the gunplay in this game is spectacular once you unlock your powers, it may overtake Doom 2016 as my favorite FPS gameplay for the time being until Eternal comes out. You really feel like a superhero, and the Michael Bay explosions bring it to the next level. The open-world does drag it down a little, but I like how it allows you to handle things at your own pace and discretion . . . if the game was more linear, I don't know if it would differentiate itself from Doom enough . . .

It's the perfect example of a '7/10' game. Not the best, most polished thing in the world, but damn, it's so fun to gib baddies in it. I'm also getting great performance on my 1080ti @ 1440 ultrawide.

Love how the enemies will scamper about on the ground after getting knocked down while trying to shoot you at the same time.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Played it some more. I must be a weirdo, but I'm one of those people who enjoys wandering around a map completing checklists, and I'm enjoying doing that in this game.

My only real complaint is that the game really needs a bunch of sweet music. At least license some stuff for the radio in the cars, guys.

Wandering and poking around ruins is way better with a soundtrack. See: Fallout.
They said they'll be adding mod support in post launch way back, so hoping that's still true. Some in-vehicle radio would really set this up.

And I usually hate map based busy work, but here it's a pleasure to explore (especailly with the gyrocopter).

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider them to be in the same league. FC5 is just a better game. The only thing I like better in Rage 2 is the gunplay. It's not like FC5 has bad gunplay - in fact, it's very good - but Rage is just better.

In every other aspect? World, exploration, progression, side content, graphics, music, story..... yeah, FC5 it is.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Love how the enemies will scamper about on the ground after getting knocked down while trying to shoot you at the same time.

Yup, it really adds to the 'strategy' of the encounters. You have to split-second think of who to go after next because you can buy precious seconds when you have some enemies stunned, and go after more active threats. It's fun!

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018

for me the gameplay is better than doom overall.

also great videos man.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I straight up think the gunplay in this game is leagues above DOOM (2016).

Like I never thought I'd say that going into this but here we are. Avalanche really pulled something off here.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just grabbed a motorcycle

jesus christ, ugh

edit: ok jesus the controls with the bike are HORRENDOUS, especially compared to contemporaries like Days Gone, this is inexcusable, laughable, and to use one of Era's favorite words, DISGUSTING.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Once you get all the abilities the game is so much more enjoyable.
Agreed. I decided to download a trainer and unlock all the upgraded versions of abilities and my god is it so much fun. Double dash is too good.

I think overall, RAGE 2 is just the more stylish of the two games. There's a lot more room to pull off cool shit and combos in firefights. RAGE 2 would be THPS while DOOM is more Skate. I also think DOOM is slow as fuck after playing this which is just insane.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I dunno, Doom still takes the cake in terms of combat for me.

I think a large part of that is that I really liked embodying the Doom Slayer. You could feel his outright hatred for the demons in everything he did, and being in that mindset really coloured the way I played the game.

Oct 25, 2017
After playing this for the last three days, I'm at a point where I feel confident in saying that I don't like it.

The core shooting feels serviceable and I've prioritized the arcs above everything to give the combat more flexibility but I still find myself not enjoying it enough to stick with the game. It pales in comparison to the visceral feeling of the Doom reboot and doesn't feel as fun or as flashy as something like Bulletstorm. It also feels incredibly slow. Even after all the mobility upgrades I've unlocked.

The story presentation and the dialog make this a slog to progress through. It's like they want to lean into the wacky and crazy stuff that their marketing campaign was based on but still have this overly serious story with these characters that are either too weird or too serious. They wanted it both ways but it doesn't work.

The driving is unfit too. I've had so many awful physics mishaps that send my car off the track in races or flying into the air out in the open world. Not only that, the car that I put all my points into is beyond obnoxious with the constant chatter from it's A.I.

The only part of driving I've enjoyed was the first two times I attacked a convoy. That was fun when it worked well.

Also, wtf is up with the menus? They're so delayed switching from tab to tab. Honestly surprised that this passed QC. Sometimes it'll just hang for a minute and I can't get out of it.

I'd be willing to check back in with it after patches and DLC releases but for now, this is going back to RedBox and I'm going finally finish Mad Max and do another playthrough of the first Rage. Both of which appeal to me much more than this does. Very disappointed.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
After playing this for the last three days, I'm at a point where I feel confident in saying that I don't like it.

The core shooting feels serviceable and I've prioritized the arcs above everything to give the combat more flexibility but I still find myself not enjoying it enough to stick with the game. It pales in comparison to the visceral feeling of the Doom reboot and doesn't feel as fun or as flashy as something like Bulletstorm. It also feels incredibly slow. Even after all the mobility upgrades I've unlocked.

The story presentation and the dialog make this a slog to progress through. It's like they want to lean into the wacky and crazy stuff that their marketing campaign was based on but still have this overly serious story with these characters that are either too weird or too serious. They wanted it both ways but it doesn't work.

The driving is unfit too. I've had so many awful physics mishaps that send my car off the track in races or flying into the air out in the open world. Not only that, the car that I put all my points into is beyond obnoxious with the constant chatter from it's A.I.

The only part of driving I've enjoyed was the first two times I attacked a convoy. That was fun when it worked well.

Also, wtf is up with the menus? They're so delayed switching from tab to tab. Honestly surprised that this passed QC. Sometimes it'll just hang for a minute and I can't get out of it.

I'd be willing to check back in with it after patches and DLC releases but for now, this is going back to RedBox and I'm going finally finish Mad Max and do another playthrough of the first Rage. Both of which appeal to me much more than this does. Very disappointed.
The game is super fast when you unlock upgrades.. have you checked all the project stuff like faster sprint, fast move on ADS crouch, higher/further double jump etc...? movement is so much better than DOOM imo, but you do need to upgrade stuff to get there.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I think the gunplay was all done by id in fairness.
No, that's a misconception. The game director of RAGE 2 actually came out and said that most of the development was handled by Avalanche including the combat.

"We at Avalanche are making the game," said Avalanche game Director Magnus Nedfors. He told me that id has been working closely with them on the creative level "since day one," but that "we have written the code, we have made the art, the combat and that stuff -- that part of development is made in Stockholm by Avalanche."

id only provided oversight and consulting on how to achieve that 'id style of combat' which Avalanche took and made their own, tbh. Absolutely puts DOOM (2016) to shame and I'm super curious if DOOM Eternal is going to top it. FWIW, I love the DOOM games but RAGE 2 really surprised me here.