• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
lol what reviews? Bethesda refuse to send out review copies unless you're a noted YouTube mark or influencer so it'll probably be another week before any outlets post anything since they'll need to secure their own copy.

Woah! I was not aware. Guess the sting from Fallout 76 still burns.

Given the outlets will be purchasing their copies, I can more earnestly look forward to their reviews.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i have no life outside playing video games, shitposting on era, working, and being an alcoholic

and i didn't know Rage 2 was coming out in 4 days

Oct 29, 2017
Tassi has a point, and Bethesda's intern sounds like a forum celebrity who posts 20+ times a day and then act like others obsessively hunt their posts down to call them on their dumb shit.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Well, why should I know the exact date when Rage 2 is releasing? I'm on here every day, for more hours than I care to admit, and while I gathered it was coming soon, if you asked me, I couldn't tell you when exactly. Certainly not "in 4 days". I don't have interest in buying the game so why would I know? It's Rage 2 not Grand Theft Auto 6.

I could rattle off release dates for games I don't care about. I just know them.

This is more on you than anything else.

NerevaRising

Oct 5, 2018
Felt the same way about tew 2, Dishonored 2, prey and Wolfenstein 2. Bethesda has been terrible at marketing their games this gen.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Embargo actually lifts on Monday for this game
What? Bethesda got rid of that review policy with the release of Wolfenstein II and The Evil Within 2 which had review copies sent out a week before...

This was two years ago.

Plenty of outlets are reviewing RAGE 2 right now, the embargo lifts a day before launch.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/05/08/rage-2-review-embargo-date
Oh, my bad. Still feel like this games marketing needs a shot in the arm and good reviews could really help.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised many folk here didn't know the game is out soon, I've seen advertisements all over social media and YouTube.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the traditional way to find out when a game is releasing on era is to wait for the "Rage 2 comes out in 4 days, where's the hype?" thread

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
lmao this was just posted

G70L2N5.png

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised many folk here didn't know the game is out soon, I've seen advertisements all over social media and YouTube.
I feel most people confuse "I don't know about the release date" with "I don't care about the game", which admittedly is a negative in the context of the game but there's way less projecting with the latter.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Personally I haven't seen a single ad for it outside of a bus stop ad that's down a street I walk past sometimes that is too far away to read.

I'm not sure why so many people are acting surprised that others just haven't payed attention to Rage 2 of all games.

Feb 24, 2018
Even tho our community loves and follows the game industry, not everyone really follows all the big games. Release dates are def not one of the most memorable parts of marketing. I think most people don't know when a game comes out until they see the OT pop up. Personally, I only follow a few games.
This, for me, the last major time I saw Rage 2 promoted or heavily talked about was last E3 and only remember it for the odd live rock balled at the beginning of the presentation. After that, I only ever see it mentioned in passing.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've looked the game up on youtube but haven't seen a single ad on youtube, facebook or google displayads. No remarketing?
BTW the game came across as forced, just slightly off putting in a weird way.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I get that the social media PR for it is meant to be edgy in this way, and I read this as more of a self-deprecating joke (them appearing childish on purpose) than something meant as a serious attack towards the article, so it feels pretty on brand when you compare it to the constant remarks about Walmart Canada. But yeah, at the end of the day this was a bad idea.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I could rattle off release dates for games I don't care about. I just know them.

This is more on you than anything else.
lol ok. It's on me for not knowing the exact specific release date for a game I have zero interest it.
social media and youtube ads are targeted. Usually you have to have shown some interest in the game or similar to be served these ads. I haven't seen a single one for example. I only know it's soon because of activity here and seeing threads pop up, but I didn't know it was in 4 days.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of you don't care for the marketing for this game, but I actually dig it. And I also knew this game was coming out on Tuesday. But then again, I've been hyped about this game since the early days.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
"Forbes contributors" are to real journalism what "Instagram models" are to the actual fashion industry.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know they advertised it like, a MONTH out, but to be fair I forgot it was coming out this soon after that stopped; haven't seen much recently...

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
A bunch of other Bethesda games ended up on Game Pass, if you're patient. Doom, Wolfenstein and its sequel, Prey, TESO, Rage, Fallout 3 and 4. I'm not sure if there are others, that's just what I have installed. I could see Rage 2 hitting the service before the end of 2020.
Man I haven't touched game pass (or my xbox) in quite some time not saying it's a good deal but I'm sure there's be some good deal come for the holidays on whatever platform.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
"Forbes contributors" are to real journalism what "Instagram models" are to the actual fashion industry.

What's wrong with being an Instagram model and why is it less legitimate than being part of the fashion industry? Do Instagram models not model fashionable products? Are they not successful?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Guess Paul Tassi indeed proved how terrible the Rage 2 marketing is

And i already thought all the previous media content was pretty bad

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I feel most people confuse "I don't know about the release date" with "I don't care about the game", which admittedly is a negative in the context of the game but there's way less projecting with the latter.

That's what I'm leaning towards honestly.

Personally I haven't seen a single ad for it outside of a bus stop ad that's down a street I walk past sometimes that is too far away to read.

I'm not sure why so many people are acting surprised that others just haven't payed attention to Rage 2 of all games.

I think the game has made it clear its nothing like its predecessor but to each their own.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I actually thought it was later in the month. Plus, I think that some have gotten side tracked with other stuff; Days Gone, GoT, endgame, the NBA playoffs... there's a lot going on right now so they better kick their launch marketing on now or suffer the same fate as the first one.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Disagree OP, I think the article is valid and the fact that Bethesda treats news outlets like trash and streamers like hookers doesn't allow me to enjoy the fun being poked with this reply.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
If you're mean on social media, regardless of if you're a random game fan, a developer or a journalist, don't be surprised when someone is mean back to you.

I don't give a shit about Rage or Forbes, but good on them for fighting back. That headline might not be clickbait, but it is pretty mean.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
If you're mean on social media, regardless of if you're a random game fan, a developer or a journalist, don't be surprised when someone is mean back to you.

I don't give a shit about Rage or Forbes, but good on them for fighting back. That headline might not be clickbait, but it is pretty mean.

I can think of several ways that headline could be mean spirited and the original one sure isnt nowhere near the top
Unless youre incredibly sensitive about any kind of criticism or just not being enthusiastic about your product (which is your problem, not others) i dont see anything wrong with the forbes headline - its accurate, as you can see by this thread, many people didnt knew rage 2 was coming in four days.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Eh I think the tweet is fine.
Some people seem sometimes bothered when marketing for something they care about is not targeting them quite enough. Rage 2 is not GTA, it's not gonna have an unavoidable juggernaut of a marketing campaign, that doesn't mean that Bethesda is dropping the ball. And who the fuck cares anyway.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair. Ubisoft is Ubisoft and Bethesda is Bethesda at the end of the day, though. It's entirely within Bethesda's prerogative to blacklist any outlet that decides to spearhead and break the news on any of their upcoming projects.

I don't think anyone's arguing that what Bethesda is doing is illegal or not within their power; they're arguing that it's a bad look and has unfortunate implications for the relationship between press and publishers.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Rage's marketing reminds me of "John Romero's about to make you his bitch" in all the wrong ways