• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Jeez
OVBiIOm.jpg
Bxn8sBH.jpg
Mother of god

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fine. The dimension hopping seems fun. The action is a bit too busy with the clusterfuck of particle effects.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This game looks like it will be a lot of fun. The dimension hopping seems like it will be a really fun mechanic.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The game looks beautiful. I love the way the portal jumping scenes blended into the level, it looks much cooler than the original reveal.

Having said that, Ratchet gameplay still hasn't clicked with me. I'll play some more Ratchet PS4, hopefully it catches on.

Also, minor criticism about the gameplay, the in-level portal grapple mechanic feels was tuned for more visual bling rather than gameplay first. Like, grappling across a level is cool, but a standard grappling hook feels like it would work way better. The portal effect just looks disorienting, like it's purposefully trying to cover the gameplay scene to make you feel like you are transporting to a complete new location, when you aren't. It feels like it would be served much better as a standard grapple pull, where you have proper scene awareness, and can maybe even look around. Perhaps just toning down the portal effect could help. Or maybe it's less disorienting when you are actually playing.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
They were super squirrely about nailing down a release date. Maybe they're just overly cautious, but I get the feeling it won't be there at launch day.

I love Ratchet though, take your time, and I'll be there day 1.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
yep. it seems the only new enhancements they have added are the fancy ray traced reflections, more NPCs, and level bouncing. I expected more from a next gen jump in the gameplay department.
This is more than likely the beginning of the game. They probably introduce some things later on.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
They were super squirrely about nailing down a release date. Maybe they're just overly cautious, but I get the feeling it won't be there at launch day.

They said launch window, that automatically means it won't be on launch day.

First 6 months is all they'll tell us right now because COVID can change anything at the drop of the hat.

I think nailing down specific dates for games still heavy in development is a futile effort right now. Publishers should just wait until the game is near-gold to be concrete.

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
Games shouldn't look this good.
To meme on Don Mattrick: "We have a product for you... the Xbox Series X/Xbox One" :D

It had to be done, sorry. :D

Also this game looks plain insane. If this is how good Next Gen games on PS5/XSX (once they move away from being held back by Xbox One), Sony and MS can have all my money. Give them to me, NOW.

I played every single Ratchet game so far and I can't wait to play this one. Really curious to see which kind of nods to older games we'll see. I really hope "launch window" means it's closer to december 31st than march 31st.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Still some hitches with the portals and I noticed a few lip sync issues, but damn this is so impressive. Day 1 for sure.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that is what I was referring to, though I'm not ready to say absolutely won't be there on launch day. And if so, I was looking for more discussion about before 2021, etc, not such a pointed answer as yours (no offense).

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This is more than likely the beginning of the game. They probably introduce some things later on.
In this demo video, which takes place early in the game, Ratchet and Clank find themselves at odds with their archnemesis, Dr. Nefarious. Only this time, he's equipped with the dangerous Dimensionator, a device with the power to open portals to other dimensions. As usual, Nefarious's plan goes off the rails, and our beloved intergalactic duo go dimension hopping. Along the way they'll encounter a cast of familiar and new faces.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah, this is a good point. The fact that we've seen that cutscene showing that this demo takes place when the dimension hopping actually starts is a good indicator of that. It could be more of a setpiece moment than the general flow of the game.
From the chatter between Ratchet and Clank I would guess this is the second time it happens, but this time more severe than the first time. It's also teaching you a basic move to cross the gap, so it must be quite early in the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I have never played the earlier ones, but loved the remake/film tie-in. Are they that different/better?
The film tie-in game's story suffered immensely from being forced to adhere to the film's plot and characterization. In comparison to the original PS2 game it was based on, characters like Ratchet were heavily sanitized and focus tested to a dull sheen for mass-market appeal, with a lot of the original's character development lost in the process.

Looping back to the PS3 titles (Future, Crack in Time, Nexus) the writing, lore and character development was much more consistent and built on each other really well. Going from a tightly written trilogy to the PS4 movie tie in game was a massive step down in every respect with the narrative.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
That is one fine looking video game! Can't help shake the feeling how much better this would look at 60fps, though. Especially with the insane amount of on screen activity. Hopefully they can get there.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
It looks even better now!
They showed pre-alpha footage before. Some reflections that were missing, have now been added. The transitions are smoother and the game looks better. Can't wait! 😊

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Graphically, it doesn't look like much of a jump from the ps4 game. They will surely bring back 60fps.

My guess is this will arrive within the first 6 months or so, looks ridiculously fun as always.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The 4K feed looks phenomenally good.
It's so sharp I feel like I could cut myself on these pixels.

Also these animations, the colors, the particles!

I can't even.

Graphically, it doesn't look like much of a jump from the ps4 game. They will surely bring back 60fps.

My guess is this will arrive within the first 6 months or so, looks ridiculously fun as always.

Have you played the PS4 one recently? Because it does look great, but it's nowhere near this level.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
The game looks beautiful. I love the way the portal jumping scenes blended into the level, it looks much cooler than the original reveal.

Having said that, Ratchet gameplay still hasn't clicked with me. I'll play some more Ratchet PS4, hopefully it catches on.

Also, minor criticism about the gameplay, the in-level portal grapple mechanic feels was tuned for more visual bling rather than gameplay first. Like, grappling across a level is cool, but a standard grappling hook feels like it would work way better. The portal effect just looks disorienting, like it's purposefully trying to cover the gameplay scene to make you feel like you are transporting to a complete new location, when you aren't. It feels like it would be served much better as a standard grapple pull, where you have proper scene awareness, and can maybe even look around. Perhaps just toning down the portal effect could help. Or maybe it's less disorienting when you are actually playing.
Edited. Never mind read this whole thing wrong.

Jan 11, 2018
Looks so freaking insane. Hope they can smooth out the dimensional transitions though. Easily my most hyped next gen game announced so far. It's been far, far too long since we've got a brand new full length installment of R&C, and I'm so overjoyed that we're getting this, hopefully next year.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty bonkers. I imagine the full game will have plenty of slower moments, and that's a good thing.

I hope the rift mechanic is used to introduce some interesting puzzles and/or makes a real difference in battle as more than an enemy spawn point. I imagine it will - Insomniac is pretty good at being true to that stuff.

Definitely hoping this game feels as expansive as A Crack In Time. R&C games are at their best when they feel like they're full of secrets and side content and reasons to revisit old worlds and stuff.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I love me some Ratchet and Clank, but mechanically the game looks exactly like every ratchet and clank but with level bouncing....

What exactly would they change? I mean, they don't want to lose the identity of the series, making big mechanical changes to something that's intended to hit a very broad audience and be wildly accessible just seems...like a really poor choice.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Ratchet and Clank on PS4 disappointed me a bit but I put most of the problems down to being associated with the movie so I think this is going to be fantastic.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017

First 6 months is all they'll tell us right now because COVID can change anything at the drop of the hat.

I think nailing down specific dates for games still heavy in development is a futile effort right now. Publishers should just wait until the game is near-gold to be concrete.

Using your own logic, they are aiming for launch day but with Covid going in it's hard to double down on the date knowing it could be delayed so they're only happy to say launch window right now.

Edit: I dont think it will be day 1 but it certainly could be.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Looks absurdly good...honestly it's the best demonstration of next-gen (with actual gameplay) I've seen....

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
This is one of those demos that has completely got me on board with next gen. Not quite the same jump as Mario 64, but certainly as impressive as everything we've had since.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Looks great, 2 games from Insomniac within the span of 6 months is bonkers.

Still noticed a few parts where it hitched, no bother at all but wouldn't say that it's been ironed out completely so far!

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Game looks good but honestly I expected more from the gameplay side.

It's the old classic Ratchet & Clank with new graphics and faster loading screens, after playing countless of titles in the series I expected more from the gameplay.