• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I can't say if this is union busting or not, but at our studio, we also have QA embedded in different departments. For us, it's helped immensely to have some dedicated QA for each department, and it's also opened the door for members of the QA team to move into their desired field from QA (as an example, I started as QA, and eventually became embedded in the design department. fast forward a few months, and I had been promoted from QA to associate game designer). Similar things have happened in other departments here, where embedded QA transitioned to a promotion to position in that department. We do still have a QA team as its own department, however.

The results have been that it's lead to better communication and collaboration between the departments and QA to make sure we're squashing as many bugs as we can across the entire production.

I really hope this isn't a union busting effort on Raven's part, but just based off of my experiences with embedded QA, I can't immediately jump to that conclusion. Speaking for myself, having a dedicated QA person (or persons) has been great. Just knowing that I have someone in QA specifically focused on our department is so much more efficient than how it was in the past. I'm pretty sure our other departments feel the same way. No fighting for QA support or stretching the QA team too thin. Our QA team is awesome, and it's been wonderful to see many of them transition out of QA and into higher positions as they expand their skillset and grow.

As former Activision QA, I can say that having QA siloed away from the other departments made our jobs immensely frustrating and even demoralizing. We were always treated like the black sheep of the company, and all the bullshittery that comes with it.

But yeah, this better not be some kind of sneaky union-busting tactic, because the benefits of embedded QA have been really wonderful overall (from my anecdotal experience, at least).

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

Given what people in the industry ITT have been saying about embedded QA I wonder if taking this stand will actually work against this specific union. If some of the QA workers saw this as a huge win they now have the union they were thinking about joining being against it.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Given what people in the industry ITT have been saying about embedded QA I wonder if taking this stand will actually work against this specific union. If some of the QA workers saw this as a huge win they now have the union they were thinking about joining being against it.

Embedding QA can both be a good thing for the testers/their team and also be an attempt to thwart attempts at unionizing; doesn't have to be either or.

Hopefully the QA folks at Raven keep pushing. No reason they can't be embedded and still push for a union.

Edit: apologies, I may have misunderstood your post on first read. Sorry about that!

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Embedding QA can both be a good thing for the testers/their team and also be an attempt to thwart attempts at unionizing; doesn't have to be either or.

Hopefully the QA folks at Raven keep pushing. No reason they can't be embedded and still push for a union.

I didn't say it was an either or. I was just wondering if the union taking this tack will actually work against the unionization effort since embedding seems like a huge win for them union or no union. I'd think the union would probably have been better off leaning into it as part of the power of unionization coming into play already.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Having QA be more integrated into the process seems like a positive move, certainly beats the hell out of having basically one point of contact within the rest of the studio and feeling mostly ostracized (that's how it felt for me anyways when I did QA).

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say it was an either or. I was just wondering if the union taking this tack will actually work against the unionization effort since embedding seems like a huge win for them union or no union. I'd think the union would probably have been better off leaning into it as part of the power of unionization coming into play already.

I think the best starting point for approaching this question is, does embedded QA address the unionizing workers' grievances in any substantial way?

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
This is not union busting. It is how many other studios, including unionised ones, work.

It is a great move for the QA team. It gets them closer to the rest of their teammates. They have better exposure and potential for more opportunities. It is how QA should actually function and not be this terrible oursourcing-like and vendor-like structure that some studios still have where QA are considered a separate and isolated team.

Speaking as a worker in an unionised workplace where QA folks are directly embedded into each feature team, rather being part of an isolated team.

My last company had a pretty terrible track record with software quality, until they decentralized the QA group and embedded QA engineers into the development teams (with a small external core team to manage things like test frameworks and automation). Developers are often reluctant to 'waste' time by writing tests - having QA around to both consult on test writing and to write tests themselves means that issues were found sooner, and over time we ended up with a suite of thousands of tests that were run all throughout the development cycle.

As to whether this amounts to union busting, I don't know. I do know that putting QA closer to dev teams is considered a good thing in regards to software quality.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Yeah I misunderstood your post, sorry about that! It definitely changes the situation. I agree with the bolded, fwiw.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
My mind is blown at people seriously giving Activision the benefit of the doubt here. Like, what? Are we just going to pretend all of the awful things that have come to light about the company in the last year didn't happen?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Depends. The union might have heard something from the employees about this restructuring that isn't being broadcasted.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
My mind is blown at people seriously giving Activision the benefit of the doubt here. Like, what? Are we just going to pretend all of the awful things that have come to light about the company in the last year didn't happen?
That's not what's happening at all. The thread title and the content within is just far less salacious than it appears to be as evidenced by industry workers providing their takes on the situation.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what's happening at all. The thread title and the content within is just far less salacious than it appears to be as evidenced by industry workers providing their takes on the situation.
And yet the union representing the employees directly is saying this is a union busting tactic. I understand that folks are chiming in with their personal knowledge on this but the union in direct communication with the Raven employees is probably a better source.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
This is a good thing. This is how modern in-house QA is run. Hopefully the QA folks can still unionise - they'll still be the same department.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not union busting. It is how many other studios, including unionised ones, work.

It is a great move for the QA team. It gets them closer to the rest of their teammates. They have better exposure and potential for more opportunities. It is how QA should actually function and not be this terrible oursourcing-like and vendor-like structure that some studios still have where QA are considered a separate and isolated team.

Speaking as a worker in an unionised workplace where QA folks are directly embedded into each feature team, rather being part of an isolated team.

Thanks for posting this, especially early on the thread when people will actually read it.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you say that?
Because unions aren'T specialized groups for the most part but a regroupment of several working forces from different fields. As such, while they may very well have the best intentions at heart, they may not understand the dynamics at play from a working culture/efficiency pov

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Because unions aren'T specialized groups for the most part but a regroupment of several working forces from different fields. As such, while they may very well have the best intentions at heart, they may not understand the dynamics at play from a working culture/efficiency pov
Yeah, while extremely sceptical I agree with not taking the representative union as gospel without further information. This might be said with no communication with the Raven QA staff for all we know, especially as their tweet thread reads as a general sentiment reply to the action. The actual staff are unlikely to communicate their feelings on this in a timely manner, I imagine, and until we know their feelings it's all just differing levels of speculation. I'd feel differently if they had referenced any staff sentiment, but it felt like it wasn't meant to be taken as the thoughts of the staff themselves, but as a general framework of the power dynamic at play.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Who do you think are members of this orginization? This is directly on their main page.

"We work at major multinational tech companies and tiny startups. We work at small indie game studios and AAA game publishers. We work at top down corporations and equitable worker co-ops."

They are devs just like the ones giving their opinions here. Saying they are less of a source is crazy. I know you seem to want to weirdly go to bat for Activision but the union is a better source then devs on this board.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As another poster said, I'm not even sure if it's accurate to act like they're outsiders with no experience in this field.

But even ignoring that--how does being embedded address the workers grievances? The sudden termination of coworkers is what sparked the unionization effort, but it surely was also the culmination of the past years exposure of workplace harassment and abuse.

What does the union not understand about embedding QA and its relation to those grievances?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
This,

My department (IT) was absorbed into a massive union years back and to this date this still have no idea how to work with us or handle any complaints and due to this side with management rather frequently.

I hope here it is a more flexible and knowledgeable unions working on this issue

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Who do you think are members of this orginization? This is directly on their main page.

"We work at major multinational tech companies and tiny startups. We work at small indie game studios and AAA game publishers. We work at top down corporations and equitable worker co-ops."

They are devs just like the ones giving their opinions here. Saying they are less of a source is crazy. I know you seem to want to weirdly go to bat for Activision but the union is a better source then devs on this board.
What's your experience in the folowing fields :

- QA
- Software Development
- Union dealings
- Union representations

Full disclosure : I've been unionez for the past 18 years, have been a union rep for 7 of them (till I went management), have had to deal with union issues for almost a decade and have on hand experience with how most unions operate. Hint, it's a strenght by numbers mantra. Most of them are completely clueless about how we operate, they represent IT workers from dozens of different fields, needs, goals and aspirations, they are jack of all trades.

Now drop the activision ballswashing nonesense and start listening to people who actually have first hand experience with those matters, it would help

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
What's your experience in the folowing fields :

- QA
- Software Development
- Union dealings
- Union representations

Full disclosure : I've been unionez for the past 18 years, have been a union rep for 7 of them (till I went management), have had to deal with union issues for almost a decade and have on hand experience with how most unions operate. Hint, it's a strenght by numbers mantra. Most of them are completely clueless about how we operate, they represent IT workers from dozens of different fields, needs, goals and aspirations, they are jack of all trades.

Now drop the activision ballswashing nonesense and start listening to people who actually have first hand experience with those matters, it would help
What does that have to do with you questioning the knowledge of the organization that put out that statement? I showed you where they listed that they were devs as well. So does that make a difference or are you still claiming they don't know what they are doing?

Also wouldn't the group working with Raven qa employees have more first hand experience then anyone else in this case?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
What does that have to do with you questioning the knowledge of the organization that put out that statement? I showed you where they listed that they were devs as well. So does that make a difference or are you still claiming they don't know what they are doing?
It has to do with you making baseless judgments of worth based on your personal feelings on the matter,

You speak from a place of ignorance and discard input that doesn't match your beliefs,

What you showed is exactly what I said, they are jack of all trades representing a myriad of different people, fields and needs.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
It has to do with you making baseless judgments of worth based on your personal feelings on the matter,

You speak from a place of ignorance and discard input that doesn't match your beliefs,

What you showed is exactly what I said, they are jack of all trades representing a myriad of different people, fields and needs.
I'm not ignoring anyone. I am saying this group is in active communication with the parties involved and more related then anyone else on this board unless we have actual raven qa folks here. If they are saying something like this then it should be listened to and not waived off like you are doing.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

I think there's a lot of people in this thread who fundamentally don't understand the point of unions.

They conflate the idea that being in a union is benefitial to the workers with some developers in this thread saying "this is how our QA department is structured and it works well" and go straight to the assumption that this move is beneficial to the workers, therefore it's like a union and can't be union busting.

The reality is that this move is probably good for the QA workers but is also used to hopefully placate them and less likely to push for unionisation.

We need to remember that modern workplace culture has very much been crafted in a way to make being unionised feel unnecessary through worker friendly environments and good benefits. Ultimately, it's better for the company to give people benefits and improved conditions on their own terms rather than having the workforce collectively demand better and more of their workplace.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Embedding QA doesn't dissolve the core QA team or anything like that. What embedding does is allow teams to have testers who know the ins and outs of that specific team (art, character, live services, etc) which allows them to be more efficient.

I've been worked at a few studios who use embedded QA where we still had our own team meetings, processes, and leadership. Doing this doesn't break QA up into smaller groups who can't work together or unionize. Based on my experience I feel that calling this union busting is a bit of a stretch.

The time is a bit weird yeah, but this is a practice more studios should be doing.

There is also some weird misunderstanding of the craft spilt here. Embedding people into teams does not mean you are removing an entire reporting and craft structure. On the contrary, you are giving them more visibility.

Embedded QA folks still have QA leads and managers to report to and likely would still report to a QA director. Just like how designers report to design leads and a design director, or level artists report to art leads and art directors, and so on.

It's a weird thing to call this a "splitting QA people apart". It also does not prevent them from forming unions, having QA specific team events, or organising anything that is QA craft specific.

The timing is deeply suspicious, but embedding some/all of QA into other departments is a fairly standard industry practice.

Just from my own experience, it also helps QA build expertise in the particular technical areas of the game (animation, physics, AI etc.), improving diagnosis of bugs, speeding up verification etc.

The only reorganization that happens with embedding testers is assigning them to team to work with directly for their day to day tasks. The QA group as a whole remains as their own entity with its own leadership and such.

This move appears to be less union busting and more "we'll make your work live somewhat easier please stop".

Yep, have seen many embedded QA folks move into positions that they directly worked with in a embedded model. Persistence QA people becoming persistence designers, art QA people becoming tech artists or level artists, and similar.

That would be incredibly more difficult if those people are QA person number 187.

I just wanted to quote you guys to second all of this. Embedded QA is absolutely a major benefit to the QA Testers and their vital role in the development process.

I also absolutely agree that the timing is suspicious, but I also know, from experience, that these sorts of moves aren't just decided on over night, and implemented the next day. It takes a lot of planning from studio heads, as well as individual department heads (including the QA director/manager), to formulate a plan on how to integrate embedded QA into their teams without disrupting any work flow or production pipelines. This is even harder during a global pandemic, when much, if not all, of the work force is working remotely.

But like I mentioned in my post above, being an embedded tester can open up many doors for the QA team that were closed to them when they were siloed off in their corner and forgotten about.

As someone who worked in QA for quite a few years, embedded QA is the right move long term for QA people within a dev team and creates paths to grow within a team, which is great.

With that said, the fact that Activision is moving on this right now is also a sign that they may be union busting as a side benefit and should be looked at with the appropriate amount of side eye.

Both can be true and it's completely fine to be cautious considering Activision and their checkered past with how they treat their workers.

Either way, hope the employees end up with secure jobs and happiness at the end of the day.

I think there is bias in that Kotaku clearly sympathizes with the workers more than management. A bias I can get behind.

However, even Kotaku notes that these changes aren't out of the ordinary, before questioning the timing and general motives of Activision. And I think that's absolutely fair of them to do.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not taking Activision at their word, considering they sent a letter to employees (written by a ex-Trump appointee) asking them to not unionize, and before that they hired a union-busting firm to work for them. Oh, and all the fucked up shit they did that led to this.

I think you made a fair point.

And the posters who say embedded QA is better for advancement into new positions aren't wrong, either--but it takes energy away from collective solidarity and moves it toward individualism.

I also wanted to quote you guys to say I agree with this as well. Call me biased, but I worked at ATVI for years as QA, and it was one of the most miserable experiences I've had in my nearly 20 year gaming industry career. However, if this move to embedded QA improves the lives of the QA team even a little, it's a positive. With that said, my hope is that the QA team at Raven continue to push for unionization, and don't let this QoL change deter them from fighting and seeking what they want/deserve.

Another thing I wanted to touch on was the idea that this move can break up solidarity. For some, it might, but from my experience, QA, as a whole, is a lot more close knit and unified than most departments. I've worked at many, many studios over the years, and the one thing they all had in common, was that the QA team had each other's backs, regardless of being embedded, promoted to other positions, or what have you. I remember at each new studio I'd QA at, me and the rest of the QA team would share "war stories" about our experiences in QA, and it was one of the things that bonded us. lol. Not to mention that the industry is very small, so a lot of us had either worked at the same companies in the past, or we used to work together at those same companies.

And embedded QA tester is still QA. They still report to their QA leads. They still have meetings and communication with the QA team. They aren't cut off from the rest of the QA team (at least from my experience).

When I was embedded QA, I still had my desk in the QA department that I worked at. I still had to attend every QA meeting (but also got to attend the design team meetings, and served as a sort of point of contact between QA and design). It wasn't until I was getting close to moving out of QA and into Design that I finally had my seating shifted to be with my new department. I still reported to my QA Lead, completed the QA tasks assigned to me by said lead (which were more tailored to my work with the Design department), but furthermore, I wasn't just arbitrarily assigned that department. I was assigned that department because my QA Lead knew of my aspirations to get into Design, and, being a supportive QA Lead, he worked with the leads of the Design team to, at the least, give me an opportunity to learn more about the Design department on top of performing my QA tasks, and the tasks that Design gave to me. The hope was that should an opportunity in design open up, I'd be in the best position to take advantage of that opportunity. Fortunately for me, we ended up having an opening in Design, and the design team was pleased with my work, so I got the promotion.

The point is, my job title was still QA. I still answered to QA, and I still stood by my QA team, even after I was promoted and left the team. The other QA members that eventually got promoted to other careers were the same way. We never "forgot our roots", or "where we came from," and our relationship with QA is still just as strong as it was when we were QA. Hell, before the pandemic and we started working from home, the studio would regularly have get togethers, events, parties, etc, where the whole studio (including QA), were included, which strengthened our solidarity even more, but also for the entire company and how they perceived QA.

The most frustrating thing about my first 14 years in this industry, was how cut off QA was from everyone else. We weren't included in anything, because we were "just contractors," and "not a 'real' part of the family." Any moves that can potentially tear down those barriers is a good thing. In the past, I couldn't have told you the names of people on the design team, or art team, or production team, or engineering team. Then I landed at the studio I'm still at now, and within days of starting, I was on a first name basis with everyone from the engineers to the CEO.

Obviously, not every publisher is the same, but it's been heartening to hear about more and more studios wising up to how awesome and vital QA is, and slowly but surely changing their mindset about QA. And, personally, I don't think any amount of QoL improvements is going to deter QA from getting treated with the respect and appreciation they deserve. I don't think the Raven QA team is going to be swayed by this change, and I hope that the leadership in charge of their unionization movements continues to push for them to keep fighting. Give them a bit more credit than that. If the armchair analysts on Resetera are greeting this news with a healthy amount of skepticism, you can rest assured that the people who's lives are actively affected by these actions are doing, and have done, the same.

Activision doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt in any way, shape, or form, but I'm going to count this as a win for the QA Team, and hope it continues to grow into more wins for them and they keep sticking to their guns.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
From the other thread:
"Onah Rongstad, a current Raven Software quality assurance tester, said Tuesday that "so long as we are testing, we are a unit that is linked by our function within the studio. Our solidarity won't be broken by something like reorganization."

Love to see it. How long will it take them to initiate the process of the election, does anyone know? The biggest concern is that while they are confident in their super majority for now, if it's a process that takes time you could really see how these structural changes are intended to weaken their solidarity. Even with Liebman saying they would have a decent legal case that this was illegally enforced, I can't imagine these QA workers could legally challenge Activision in a meaningful way...

Edit: from an all too brief Google that put some other fears about this reorganization fears into my head but mostly had information going over my head, maybe about a month...?

Last edited:

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

Guess your experience didn't mean much in this case since they are using this to try to argue the vote should apply to the whole company and not just qa.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
In a shocking turn of events, Activision couldn't be trusted after all. Who ever could have seen this coming?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
https://twitter.com/shannon_liao/status/1486115118098358273?s=21

I think this is the key thing to remember. This unionization attempt was in part born out of the Raven QA team losing faith in management having their best interests in mind. So they really have no reason but to assume the worst of management right now because management hasn't given them reason to not assume the worst. The actual intentions of management here are borderline irrelevant as the worst should be assumed of them until their union is recognized really.

Tactical Tumbler

Sr QA Analyst
Verified
May 26, 2021
Your post pretty much hits the nail on the head. Thanks for wording everything much better than I could lol.

The timing of the announcement is indeed very suspect, but at the same time this sort of change can't be done in a knee jerk reaction sort of away. It takes months to plan and then implement. Based on personal experience I have a very small feeling this is move was originally meant to coincide with them changing over their folks to FTEs.

I'm glad that Raven QA folks are still moving forward with their attempt to unionize.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
No, because the reality is that the likelihood that this is actually something fishy is incredibly small. But people want to dig their heels in because they dont want to be proven wrong on the internet.

Well here you go: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ac...ess-goes-to-national-labor-board-vote.544223/

Exactly what some people in this thread were concerned about happening is proven to be happening just a day later. Acti's tactic is trying to make the argument that the entire studio should vote, not only the QA department. And this move just happens to support that argument perfectly. Huh!

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Well here you go: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ac...ess-goes-to-national-labor-board-vote.544223/

Exactly what me and others in this thread were saying is happening. Weird!
And most people were not saying that this necessarily had to be a union busing move. Or that this could not be to the benefits of the QA. And that this wasn't a sensible, and nowadays somewhat standard, restructuring effort.

Still, some were banging the drum on how, due to the explicit authority of VERIFIED® members, who said "this could be fine and perfectly innocent" (a perfectly reasonable stance, mind you); anyone claiming that this might be fishy, was a conspiracy theorist, who was ignoring the actual experts on this matter, and instead just fell for their own confirmation bias 🤷‍♂️

What a shitty thread this was 😢

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Your post pretty much hits the nail on the head. Thanks for wording everything much better than I could lol.

The timing of the announcement is indeed very suspect, but at the same time this sort of change can't be done in a knee jerk reaction sort of away. It takes months to plan and then implement. Based on personal experience I have a very small feeling this is move was originally meant to coincide with them changing over their folks to FTEs.

I'm glad that Raven QA folks are still moving forward with their attempt to unionize.

Thank you! Lol!

And yeah, these sorts of pivots don't just happen instantly, but the timing is most certainly suspect. I'm also glad that the Raven QA team isn't letting this change sway them either! They shouldn't, and it's not even a big enough change to warrant them packing it up.

Activision in court comments

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
There's been an update to the situation, with plans detailing Activision's efforts to embed the QA testers.

Activision Blizzard employees and management clash over union process in Zoom hearing

Most of the testers work on the popular game "Call of Duty: Warzone" and had been working toward unionization for months. They said they were motivated by recent layoffs, excessive overtime and low pay.

"The lack of transparency from management during this process, coupled with their refusal to come to the table with Raven QA workers, has been demoralizing," the Game Workers Alliance said in a statement shared with The Washington Post Wednesday. "It's past time for Activision Blizzard to recognize that we — the workers — have organized our union and we're not backing down."
Activision Blizzard said in a statement to The Post: "This is an important decision that will affect everyone at Raven, and we believe that every eligible employee deserves to have their vote counted. We look forward to the NLRB's decision."

Activision presented its argument first, displaying an illustration that showed Raven's organizational chart from when quality assurance testers were a separate department, alongside one where the testers were included as part of every department. The company reorganized its quality assurance department Jan. 24 during an internal meeting, shortly after its workers announced their intentions to unionize.

The illustration was a source of laughter among employees who attended the hearing, as they created and shared memes over what management said. They pointed out that in the company's illustration, quality assurance testers were now divided up and there was a tester working inside the marketing department and inside the information technology team, which wasn't realistic. In the first graphic, testers sat siloed from the rest of the teams.

Activision counsel and leadership argued that quality assurance testers are no longer their own separate department, as they have been spread across multiple departments at Raven, getting integrated with different teams and becoming "embedded testers." Raven employees believe the move was done to undermine the unionization effort.

"The first few days we were supposed to start the embedded testing model no one, not even management, knew who we would be directly reporting to," said a Raven employee, who requested anonymity for fear of retaliation. "Several weeks into being an embedded tester, it is still not clear to me exactly what I'm supposed to be doing."

In the days leading up to the hearing, workers have accused management of sending anti-union messages and videos in internal discussion boards and meetings.

Last Friday, Raven management held a meeting with employees to discuss how the union could affect work conditions, Raven workers told The Post. Senior director David Pellas said in the meeting that unions could limit the amount of overtime worked, which might affect the quality of a game upon launch. Pellas added he believed that unionization could lead to challenges, but said he wasn't sure what those were.

Raven union organizers responded to the meeting in a Feb. 11 public Twitter thread, saying, "Leadership asked questions about all the bad things a union could do. But they failed to ask what good things a union could do."

Asked about anti-union rhetoric, an Activision Blizzard spokesman said in a statement to The Post: "All sides — union, company, and employees — have the right to express their positions regarding the election. Our stance is that employees should get all the facts. We believe in, and have clearly emphasized many times, that we support the right of employees to decide whether or not to support or vote for a union, without coercion from anyone."

Communications Workers of America national organizing director Tom Smith disputed that characterization in a statement to The Post.

I encourage everyone to read the whole article.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Their bullshit was so obvious, it's really sad how few people were willing to see it.

Activision presented its argument first, displaying an illustration that showed Raven's organizational chart from when quality assurance testers were a separate department, alongside one where the testers were included as part of every department. The company reorganized its quality assurance department Jan. 24 during an internal meeting, shortly after its workers announced their intentions to unionize.

The illustration was a source of laughter among employees who attended the hearing, as they created and shared memes over what management said. They pointed out that in the company's illustration, quality assurance testers were now divided up and there was a tester working inside the marketing department and inside the information technology team, which wasn't realistic. In the first graphic, testers sat siloed from the rest of the teams.

Brian Raffel, head of Raven, was the first witness called by the company, followed by Activision's human resources business partner John Obligato. Activision counsel and leadership argued that quality assurance testers are no longer their own separate department, as they have been spread across multiple departments at Raven, getting integrated with different teams and becoming "embedded testers." Raven employees believe the move was done to undermine the unionization effort.

"The first few days we were supposed to start the embedded testing model no one, not even management, knew who we would be directly reporting to," said a Raven employee, who requested anonymity for fear of retaliation. "Several weeks into being an embedded tester, it is still not clear to me exactly what I'm supposed to be doing."

Embedded QA is fine, but THIS was so so so obvious. It was a ploy to diminish unionization efforts, period. There's no other way to explain how this reorganization, which had "totally" been in the works since October, had continued to be ineffectually implemented weeks after the fact.

Meanwhile you have Activision saying that the union voting process has to include all employees because the QA have been embedded into other departments oh so "seamlessly", definitely nothing funny going on here.

FUCK Activision, FUCK anti union efforts. Fuck the people that won't engage critically and brush it off while we're at it.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Well there it is, Acti is explicitly citing the reorg to embedded testers as a reason they can't unionize.

The tone policing in this thread of anyone who suggested their motives might be suspect was atrocious.

Their bullshit was so obvious, it's really sad how few people were willing to see it.
This forum is rotten with the most credulous corporate cheerleaders imaginable. Just look at the thread about how MS could recognize the union if then wanted. Someone in there actually suggested that because MS would be better to the workers they'd no longer need the union.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

Embedded QA is fine, but THIS was so so so obvious. It was a ploy to diminish unionization efforts, period. There's no other way to explain how this reorganization, which had "totally" been in the works since October, had continued to be ineffectually implemented weeks after the fact.

Meanwhile you have Activision saying that the union voting process has to include all employees because the QA have been embedded into other departments oh so "seamlessly", definitely nothing funny going on here.

FUCK Activision, FUCK anti union efforts. Fuck the people that won't engage critically and brush it off while we're at it.
It is a shame that posters won't come back and admit they were completely wrong after ridiculing folks and the union saying this was being used as a union busting method. Crow is apparently quite unappetizing after you spout multiple posts swings your years of experience dick around.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It is a shame that posters won't come back and admit they were completely wrong after ridiculing folks and the union saying this was being used as a union busting method. Crow is apparently quite unappetizing after you spout multiple posts swings your years of experience dick around.

To be fair, I think a lot of people who were posting in this thread are clueless regarding unionisation and labour organisation. Someone with a verified tag said it was a good move and people assumed it was true. The average knowledge of labour movements around here basically boils down to "unions are good because they get better working conditions for employees" and while this as a statement is true, improved working conditions can be used as a union-busting move. Unionising is about shifting the balance of power towards the workers and away from the business.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, I think a lot of people who were posting in this thread are clueless regarding unionisation and labour organisation. Someone with a verified tag said it was a good move and people assumed it was true. The average knowledge of labour movements around here basically boils down to "unions are good because they get better working conditions for employees" and while this as a statement is true, improved working conditions can be used as a union-busting move. Unionising is about shifting the balance of power towards the workers and away from the business.
The basics of it come down to two points:
QA embedding is generally seen as a positive in development team structure.
QA embedding can prevent the effective organization of QA to unionize.

It's not a mutually exclusive scenario.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they unionize. I'm dying at the "You guys won't be able to work massive overtime and the game might be shit due to that" argument. I would have fucking laughed in that guys face.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
This is a good thing. Involving specific QA members on the team rather that siloing them off in a corner near IT is the proper way to go.

Not every thing management does it bad.

Did you read the post just above yours? Lol

Embedding QA with engineering a bog-standard process lol, do the people insisting suspicious have any experience with development?

A verified game dev who actually has perspective on a unionized workplace posts their take and you call them a fool?

The first response to the thread is from an actual game developer and their response gets handwaved or ignored. Alright.

I personally think this is a great sign. If the only recourse a company has to avoid having their workers unionize is to give a major concession to them preemptively, it shows how few options they really have. Other companies will likely follow suit.

Sheesh this is not what's happening at all, OP. This is a good thing.

I really need y'all to check out this recent update in this thread. Simply because I think it's really, really important that more people understand that companies are not our friends and that they absolutely will use every tactic in the book to keep their workforce from gaining any kind of leverage. If it is a tactic that also makes them look good? Even better.

Don't give companies like Activision or billionaires like Kotick the benefit of the doubt, ever. This also goes for Microsoft (and, well, every other company, especially in the US, especially especially in the US Tech sector) and their efforts in the future to keep their workforce from organizing.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah. We all saw. You don't need to reiterate over and over.
But it's literally the first time it has ever been used for this reason.

You're looking like a pompous jackass who clearly doesn't actually work in this industry and instead just wants to dunk on people.