Votes: 776 44.8%
  • Holy shit you are old

Votes: 532 30.7%
  • Thor 2:The Dark World

Votes: 48 2.8%

• Total voters

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Same exact boat, and it's been really cool to be able to experience first-hand what gaming has to offer through the decades. I used to buy gaming mags at the grocery and then look at screenshots for months, re-reading every article about that ONE game I was hyped for.

Now I get reminded about games that interested me upon announcement that I totally forgot about until near or even AT release.
This industry has changed so much a lot of has to be experienced close to release to really get the full flavor of the experience.

Online multiplayer is on pretty much every system but doing it on dialup or our college Ethernet was mind blowing to me in 1996. I also felt similar to that playing it on DC for the first time in 1999.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My first exposure to video games was in the mid 70's when the likes of Pong and Space War were state-of-the-art, and I've never lost interest. By the late 70's I was not just playing games on an Apple ][+, I was teaching myself assembly and learning how games were made. I was well and truly hooked. So I'm well into my fifth gaming decade, with more than 45 years of gaming bliss and memories behind me.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Got my MSX in 1983, my Master System in 1989, my Atari ST in 1989, my Megadrive in 1991, my Amiga in 1991, my first PC in 1993 as well as my SNES.

So about 39 years across 5 decades

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Been gaming since Pong in the 1970s, so in my 6th decade now. 55 years old and still love it. Imagine I will be gaming until I can no longer physically do it. What can I say? Some guys fish or hunt or own boats. I game. As I told my wife, it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think thats why I like it here. I don't feel out of place. It seems like we're mostly a bunch of old gamers, hanging on for dear life to this outmoded BBS named ERA ;)

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
When I was four in 1990 my sister had a random boyfriend named Scott and he gave me his NES and Super Mario Bros 3. And that's when it all started for me. So 90s, 00s, 10s, and now 20s. I often wonder where Scott is and if he has any idea how much that one gift impacted my life haha. I dare say Scott is cooler than the guy she ended up marrying.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Is this where we talk about 300 baud acoustic coupler modems? My parents had an original Pong in the house when I was young, so it's been a while now.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
Started in the mid-2000s when I was 5 or 6, so this is my 3rd decade now.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
Solid 30. I'm going on 39 and remember Spider-Man for the Atari 2600 being one of my earliest gaming memories. Split time afterwards from NES (loved Capcom Disney games) and PC (the OG King's Quest comes to mind).

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I misred the poll at first and thought it would be how much longer you would be gaming. Like starting from today.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This industry has changed so much a lot of has to be experienced close to release to really get the full flavor of the experience.

Online multiplayer is on pretty much every system but doing it on dialup or our college Ethernet was mind blowing to me in 1996. I also felt similar to that playing it on DC for the first time in 1999.
Ahh DC PSO. Literally a milestone in my love for the medium. Thank you, SegaNet.

Edit: I also first joined the OG non-neo gaf on the DC browser lol

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
Got an NES in '89 for xmas after playing one my older cousin brought over. Been gaming ever since.

shit was wild in the 90s and 00s watching how fast the tech progressed. Mind blowing new graphics every couple years to damn near photo realistic stuff we see now where you have nit pick minute details. Ahh shit. Im grandpa simpson'n it. Im getting old. Not atari old thoughā€¦ lol.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
OP, do we count period we stop playing?
There's a decade where I didn't play games because I don't have income to play games

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Technically played my first video game on our home Pong system at the age of three, and I actually remember flashes of it. A few years later in the early '80s I'd play the various coin-ops intermittently either at the local arcade, theater or gas station a few times a month, but it wasn't until I was staying with my aunt over the summer that the bug kind of hit me.

She ended up buying an Atari and like sixty games at a yard sale, and I spent many hours a day playing it. By the time I actually got my own Atari at age twelve, I quickly grew bored with it after a few months, and then saved up my money for a year to get an NES in '87. Been actively playing games since.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Galaga was considered fairly new
Michael Jackson was the hottest thing on the Planet at the time
No one knew who the Simpsons were

About that long.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been gaming since I was a little kid in the early 90's.

What a life it has been.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Well back when I was like 4, my definition of gaming was Mixed Up Mother Goose Deluxe and Little Bear's Rainy Day Activities. Does that count? If so I guess two decades.

Oct 27, 2017
Early 80's. Been gaming since I was about 10 or so. Currently 41 years young.

***edit***
Sorry folks, typing while tired. Late 80's to be exact. First game I played was was on the Atari 2600. Pit Fall to be exact. The Atari was my dad's. Received a NES a for my 9th birthday with both Zelda and Metroid.

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 40, but I started really playing videogames when I was 8 or something, so 3 decades and a few years. We already had Game & Watch and an Odyssey 2, but I was never really into those so I don't count those years.

Early 80's. Been gaming since I was about 10 or so. Currently 41 years young.
That math doesn't track. If you're 1 year older than me and you started gaming at 10, you started gaming in the early 90's.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't remember, it was between 89 and 91 with an NES. So 3 decades and change. Great times.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Around 25 years since the mid-90s. Maybe even the early 90s as a toddler. My first gaming memory is Super Mario World but I know it was well after its original release. I was born shortly after it.

Stringfellow

Nov 7, 2017
I picked "Holy shit, you are old" option.

4 decades ago. First brush with any form of video games was with Pong on Magnavox Odyssey. At an ice-cream and confectionery store with the owner making home-made ice-cream have the game running on a tube TV. We can have a go at it while waiting for our orders served. Good combo, with the line for playing the game feeding into the line for ice-cream and sweets, with strict instruction to clean our hands before even touching the paddles.

The behemoth in my avatar is my last custom gaming PC I built. The fire for gaming, lit under me have never stopped burning since that fateful day 4 decades ago.