• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
Information roundup gathered from GTAForums and Reddit
Pressing the pad's trigger does not match a fired shot: holding down the Arthur key simply raises the revolver's hammer, ready to release it and then to fire only when the player releases the grip. It's a way to make the user more involved, active; to give him some more interaction possibilities even during the shootings. And then it allows you to "mimic" even the classic fancied in which the gunslingers did their utmost using the palm of the hand.
We know that the skills of Arthur Morgan will increase progressively during the adventure: as well as Michael, Trevor and Franklin improved their driving skills and their physical prowess, the protagonist of RDR2 will be able to increase the skill with the weapons or the one in the saddle.
- Can rob people
- Dialogue choices
- NPCs will react differently depending on your behavior, appearance, actions
- You can pour coffee and check up on your gang
- You can care for your gang and be rewarded for looking after them
- Small scale robbery with Bill was shown
- Demo took place in New Hanover (Handover?)
- You can watch farmers herd animals, bugs in your ears
- Demo was on base PS4
- You can skin animals. It's graphic, you can either drop the carcass or put it on your horse
- Animals shot can be injured and attempt to escape. You can follow trails of blood to find the animal and then kill it.
- Meat and animals will rot.
- Amount of meat is based on how you kill it. Arrows will get you the most whereas weapons like shotguns won't.
- Your bond with your horse will result in different behaviors. If it's strong, it'll stick with you during gunfights
- Your weapons will be stored on the horse. Take care of it. If it dies, you'll have to start the bonding process over with a new horse
- If injured, your horse can bleed out. If you wait too long, the horse can die.
- The robbery takes place in Valentine. Not clear if it's free roam, side mission, or story mission
- Continuous camera, not different angles and shots. You can watch everything from one single camera angle.
- Dead Eye returns. Camera angles change depending on how you kill the person using Dead Eye
- In the robbery, someone shot Arthur's hat and it fell off into the mud. You can return to the town and pick it up
There are also many dynamic elements and events in the game world. For example, at one point we see some workers pulling up the walls of a new ranch. Upon request, we are confirmed by Rob Nelson, that at a later point there may well be a finished house.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how the end-game's gonna work when the gang split up due to story reasons.
I'm coming at this from my bitter attitude towards GTA V which I still love despite my disappointments but I still don't want to get my hopes up. In RDR2, from what I'm hearing and reading, you're obviously in gang, you can be an outlaw, and I believe there's some kind of train robbery? I assume that's a story mission but I'd like to be able to do something like that as a side or dynamic mission. Whenever I want. Rob shit, hold people up, and other typical action-oriented outlaw gang stuff. I believe this type of stuff will mostly be conveyed through scripted story missions which is fine. But I'm skeptical of how much of that can be done at will by the player because of how GTA V treated the heists or the lack thereof in SP and the underutilized crew members and their leveling system. This is also based on the idea that the gang stuff will be available end-game, assuming the story doesn't dictate otherwise.

Samuel Cabral

Apr 4, 2018
Looks like i will need to bond with horses regularly
17kvrPQ.gif

LOL

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is asking for gameplay footage a meme now? I hope it's a meme because people are acting like jackasses here.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
There's a sense of connectivity in Red Dead Redemption 2 that I've never seen in a game before. Everything has its place and everyone has a purpose. Importantly, it's not just a veneer either. Other games give the appearance that life continues around you regardless, but stop for a second and it's easy to see past the façade – the guy with the broom isn't really sweeping his porch, he's stuck in an never-ending cleaning loop that even a gun to the head cannot break.

In Red Dead 2, people exist. They have work to do and schedules to stick to, regardless of whether you're there to see it or not. But if you are there, they'll react accordingly - so point a revolver at the guy innocently sweeping his porch and, depending on his demeanour, he could drop to his knees and beg for his life, or at the opposite end of the scale draw a six-shooter and retaliate. There's deep-rooted connection between you, your actions and the surrounding world, which is critical to everything that Red Dead Redemption 2 is. Rockstar doesn't just want you to play as outlaw and protagonist Arthur Morgan, it wants you to live as him.
I'm sorry but how is that in any way as ground breaking as he's making it out to be? I appreciate the coverage but those hyperboles in the first two paragraphs are a lot to take in.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
RDR didn't have magic pockets too, pretty sure everything you used appeared on your character.

Yes! Weapons were visible on holsters but you could carry a dozen different long guns. If this is like Max Payne 3, you have to drop a weapon to carry another of the same type.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but how is that in any way as ground breaking as he's making it out to be? I appreciate the coverage but those hyperboles in the first two paragraphs are a lot to take in.

They elaborate in the video. There are even dialog choices with random NPCs with different outcomes.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Information roundup gathered from GTAForums and Reddit
- Dialogue choices
- You can care for your gang and be rewarded for looking after them
- Demo was on base PS4
- Meat and animals will rot.
- Amount of meat is based on how you kill it. Arrows will get you the most whereas weapons like shotguns won't.
- Your bond with your horse will result in different behaviors. If it's strong, it'll stick with you during gunfights
- Your weapons will be stored on the horse. Take care of it. If it dies, you'll have to start the bonding process over with a new horse
- If injured, your horse can bleed out. If you wait too long, the horse can die.
- Continuous camera, not different angles and shots. You can watch everything from one single camera angle.
- In the robbery, someone shot Arthur's hat and it fell off into the mud. You can return to the town and pick it up

These are the parts that stuck out to me. The little details Rockstar squeezes into their games are a real treat, and i'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg about what you can do. I think it's amazing these shots are coming from a base PS4, too.

God this looks so archaic now.

"Diminishing returns", right? Gets a laugh out of me every time I hear it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
RDR didn't have magic pockets too, pretty sure everything you used appeared on your character.

There was still the weapon wheel where you had access to like 7 different rifles, 4 different shotguns, 7 different pistols and so forth. The pistol or rifle you currently have set on your wheel though would appear Marston. Perhaps the horse acts as the weapon wheel in this game, or you only limited to a few weapons at a time. Upgrade your saddle to carry more weapons. Something like that.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
So much hype!

The character interaction system is going to way deeper than any Rockstar game. The robbing mechanics almost sound like they've been pulled from the glorious Warriors game they made - and positive/negative interactivity is going to be a ton of fun to mess around with.

Goodness, everything sounds glorious. I love this camp idea - really getting to know and provide for everyone in the camp is going well to be awesome. Outlaws 'til the end!

So, is it Max Payne 3 shooting mechanics, or what?

ASKING THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION.

Really wondering as well!

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Well if the quote below is true, I would say it's quite impressive. It would be more than just NPC's roaming around repeating the same tasks. NPC's would be doing things that affect the game world, outside of the story. That's impressive detail, if true.
There are also many dynamic elements and events in the game world. For example, at one point we see some workers pulling up the walls of a new ranch. Upon request, we are confirmed by Rob Nelson, that at a later point there may well be a finished house.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that got me hyped as fuck is the companion bit being described as akin to Dragon Age and Mass Effect squad-mates, that and the dialogue options.

There was still the weapon wheel where you had access to like 7 different rifles, 4 different shotguns, 7 different pistols and so forth. The pistol or rifle you currently have set on your wheel though would appear Marston. Perhaps the horse acts as the weapon wheel in this game, or you only limited to a few weapons at a time. Upgrade your saddle to carry more weapons. Something like that.
Yes! Weapons were visible on holsters but you could carry a dozen different long guns. If this is like Max Payne 3, you have to drop a weapon to carry another of the same type.

Oh yeah I forgot about having different types of shotguns/rifles.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
IGN said the game has killcams (I guess similar to Max Payne 3's) so I assume they want to show off Euphoria physics.

Oct 27, 2017
IGN said the game has killcams (I guess similar to Max Payne 3's) so I assume they want to show off Euphoria physics.
I really hope so.

There are many similarities to Max Payne 3, like dual wielding, limited gun inventory, kill cam so I hope they made the mechanics just like Max Payne 3. RDR is a shooter first and foremost so it should be the biggest focus of the game.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This looks incredible, and sounds mind blowing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Red Dead Redemption 2 will bring the systemic game design like in Far Cry 4 where enemies gets attacked by elephants and if you guys are interested on that game design, I recommend you guys to watch one of the latest videos from Mark Brown:

Rockstar games are already examples of systemic games. They seem to be spending quite a lot of time on that aspect.