Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Kolonel

Nov 29, 2017
Hi guys, base PS4 here. Do you also have insane framerate dips in towns? Like 10s-20s? Like in Valentine or Saint Denis it gets barely inplayable... was asking because I recently installed a cheap WD external hard drive and thought it was maybe the problem.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
someone in the GB thread said this was Modern Shenmue and I can't say I disagree lol

I was too young when Shenmue came out but I assume a lot of the stuff people praised that game for probably has similar goals/elements here

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You can definitely put multiple pelts, but you can only store one large carcass and two smaller carcasses on your horse.

You can also have another horse follow you, I have a spare horse that comes with me when I'm hunting that can carry pelts and small animals too.

I wouldn't risk going into the mountains with him, but I stay pretty close to camp and get smaller animals and Deers/bucks etc

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
oqT1YsA.gif

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This game is extremely complex, I am wondering if the entire story is a tutorial!

I am so absorbed in this game that I genuinely think people are playing and just expecting instant gratification and an "easy" game to play. All these modern games borrow everything from every other game and it just becomes a mash of everything. I really enjoyed Horizon and I platinumed it but I overall felt that it was a third person far cry game with a Bioware/Witcher light conversation system and open world. Where every decision I made didn't amount to anything, it didn't matter.

THis is a rockstar ass rockstar game but with their version of a true RPG, in my opinion. I am completely engrossed and playing the role of MY Arthur.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
someone in the GB thread said this was Modern Shenmue and I can't say I disagree lol

I was too young when Shenmue came out but I assume a lot of the stuff people praised that game for probably has similar goals/elements here

Shenmue was one of my favorite dreamcast titles and I'd agree. It's unapologetically slow and i love it.

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
Hi guys, base PS4 here. Do you also have insane framerate dips in towns? Like 10s-20s? Like in Valentine or Saint Denis it gets barely inplayable... was asking because I recently installed a cheap WD external hard drive and thought it was maybe the problem.
Don't worry, Saint Denis is a joke. It's not just you.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I would be up for Red Dead continuing with this formula for future installemnts while GTA remains more arcadey and explosive like GTA 5.

dryz

Oct 30, 2017
Thinking I should wait for a patch. It seems the wanted/bounty system is not working properly.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Water.

I am constantly impressed with the water in this game. The way it interacts with the player/horses/oars of a boat etc. is easily the most realistic I have seen yet, made even more impressive in a world of this scope.

The way a river looks from a distance, up on a ridge is also very well done. Waterfalls are another aspect done really well, light years ahead of other games.

Everything just looks so cohesive.

Thank you R* for spending so much time perfecting this aspect, it was worth it.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am so absorbed in this game that I genuinely think people are playing and just expecting instant gratification and an "easy" game to play. All these modern games borrow everything from every other game and it just becomes a mash of everything. I really enjoyed Horizon and I platinumed it but I overall felt that it was a third person far cry game with a Bioware/Witcher light conversation system and open world. Where every decision I made didn't amount to anything, it didn't matter.

THis is a rockstar ass rockstar game but with their version of a true RPG, in my opinion. I am completely engrossed and playing the role of MY Arthur.
It's a long way from easy, it's complex, it's slow, it's hard, hunting is hard, shoot outs are hard, it's just a tough game all round.

I reckon this is by design, they are outdated outlaws trying to scrape a living on the fringes of a changing world.

Sure, there are a number of QoL things that R* can add, but I don't think they can change too much without fundamentally altering the whole vibe.

I know a lot of people don't get on with it, but to me, it's (by far) the game of the generation, quite possibly the best game I've ever played.

Abcdude

Sep 9, 2018
15(?) hours in and my save says i'm at 23%. Hope its worth playing well after the 100% completion.

Having a blast though really. No open world game has given me such a sense of physicality to everything and weight to every action. The story is engaging and the writing is clever, and charming too.

Very clear why this game will be divisive to most, but as a fan of Far Cry 2 over the rest of the series, i'm finally scratching this itch.

dryz

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah, I noticed it immediately in Valentine.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
I need a way to make this game enjoyable to control... so far it feels like everything I do doesnt work. Its like my character has an elephant on his back or something. He feels heavy as fuck. I simply cannot enjoy a shootout in this game. Are there any tweaks/suggestions from the settings menu?

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I'm over 10 hours in at this point I think. Still in Ch. 2. But I've seen enough to know this has beaten The Last of Us and Witcher 3 to be my favorite game of all time. I doubt this reaches the writing heights of those games, but the things this does to feel like a truly transporting experience are just on another level. I remember thinking the quiet moments of just traveling the landscape in TW3 were amazing, but this? 10 times better.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I need a way to make this game enjoyable to control... so far it feels like everything I do doesnt work. Its like my character has an elephant on his back or something. He feels heavy as fuck. I simply cannot enjoy a shootout in this game. Are there any tweaks/suggestions from the settings menu?

You can make aiming snappier by removing deadzone and increasing acceleration. You can also try alternate control schemes and get rid of having to tap to run. But the weighty feel is intentional and have been part of Rockstar's games since GTA 4. That, you just gotta deal with.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
What secret sauce does Rockstar have?
My pro is whisperquiet with this, but Sony first party games like God of War and Horizon are the opposite.
Considering that RDR2 looks better then both this is very impressive.

Abcdude

Sep 9, 2018
I'd suggest raising the aim acceleration all the way up and aim deadzone all the way down. It felt off before I found a suggestion to do so, and since then ive been aiming just fine.

Maybe switch 'hold to run' to 'toggle to run' as well? That way you'll run without having to keep A pressed down.

As for the weight of Arthur, it's just something to get used to. Rockstar staple.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I've completed just 10 main missions, but I've seen half of the Random Events and done 2/5 Bounty Hunters. I expected more than 25 Random Events and 5 BH.

Seep

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have to hold R2 and mash the 4 face buttons to draw my gun in duels and sometimes I can't pull the string back on my bow, I think there's something wrong with my game.

Anybody else have weird problems?

I'm on PSPro.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally messed up my honor system.

Willingly, too.

Side mission in chapter 3.

you really didn't think I was gonna spare that slave owner, did you? Blew his head off with a shotgun then slept like a baby in his tent right after too.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
It's way too easy to get lost in this game for hours. I completed two simple missions in Chapter 2 over 3 hours.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incase you didn't know, you can store outfits on your horse! Save an outfit and then there's a button to transfer it. Got a light outfit, a medium and a warm one now so i can switch on the fly.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
So what happens when you finish all 25/25 random events? They stop or do they repeat themselves. Kinda weird that I am on chapter 2 and have most rnadom events done... ugh.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I feel bad that I had to
cut my date with Mary short. I'd already watched that entire theatre show, didn't fancy doing it again

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I entered a shop for the first time (aside from missions) and actually read through the catalogue for guns. The amount of detail they put in just scrolling through the book and then actually putting in customer reviews is cool as hell.

This is shaping up to be my favorite effort from R*.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I entered a shop for the first time (aside from missions) and actually read through the catalogue for guns. The amount of detail they put in just scrolling through the book and then actually putting in customer reviews is cool as hell.

This is shaping up to be my favorite effort from R*.
There is also a web based shop catalogue accessible through the companion app that you can order stuff from and pick up next time you are in game.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I've only got to Valentine. The dips are pretty minimal and infrequent for me, but I'm admittedly not hugely sensitive to them.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have to hold R2 and mash the 4 face buttons to draw my gun in duels and sometimes I can't pull the string back on my bow, I think there's something wrong with my game.

Anybody else have weird problems?

I'm on PSPro.

Seems like you have a broken controller. One of my controllers has the same problem, just a bit worse. I can't drive fast or shoot in gta5 and I can't shoot with the bow in rdr2 either. It's just one of my controllers that has a faulty r2 ... doesn't get to 100% it seems. No idea how to fix it.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Try out FPS control settings. It worked for me.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
question: I killed a bear and I have it's pelt on my horse. What am I supposed to do with it? Where can I trade it? What's the best thing to do with it. Let me know what to do era!!

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
So what happens when you finish all 25/25 random events? They stop or do they repeat themselves. Kinda weird that I am on chapter 2 and have most rnadom events done... ugh.

Perhaps this is just the random events and bounty hunts in New Hanover area? Guess when your camp moves to new area you'll get a new set of random events?! At least I'd hope so!

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I've played around 15 or so hours, early (I think) in Chapter 2 still.

First, the bad: the gunplay is, plainly, bad (although I'm getting used to the Free Aim). It's a shame, because the gunfeel is great, as you really get this amazing feedback in firing due to the visuality of it, the sound design (especially with a high caliber weapon) and the impact on living beings. Also, reloading is godly. I really like the "cocking your weapon" thing, although I'm not so sure about how it's implemented (I have to get used to it). But yeah, I wish this had good gunplay, the aiming is painful.

The controls I got accostumed to, but they're still not great in how they implement certain stuff (I like the weighty feel it has, though). My main problem comes from the slowness of many actions; namely, looting corpses and furniture (just a little bit faster would be a godsend) and, especially, the fact that, in the third person, Morgan doesn't have an "in-between" walk pace: it's him either walking really slowly or running. It really makes things annoying in many situations, especially as every bump into the wrong person can have consequences. It's one of the reasons I'm using the first person camera so much (apart from it being pretty good), mostly in interiors, especially if I have to loot and search for things.

Beyond that, some things aren't really explained the way they should be, and there's some weirdness about the bounty system and others that I still have to wrap my head around. Also, some QoL tweaks would be nice.

Now, I can ignore those flaws (although the gunplay and the walking situation kill me), because, all in all, this is my favourite time with a game in god knows how long. Unless something terribly weird happens, this will probably go down as one of my most liked games ever (if not the most). It's absolutely breathtaking in about every sense (except the aspects I mentioned I guess lol) and the many things it does right, it excels at. I really have no words to explain how I feel about those things tbh. I've spent most of those 15 hours in the Valentine area and I'm still shocked at how big, detailed and beautiful the green landscape is.

In essence, I have never been this constantly marvelled and impressed in a game, at every single turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.