• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Well, after the amazing ending to chapter 4 I can't say I expected it, but man, the first half of chapter 5 was the absolute low point of the game for me. Not only did I personally not care about or enjoy any of that at all, I thought it was genuinely badly executed.

But now things are looking up again. 7 missions to go, if what I've read about the number of main missions is true.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
I died and it said I abandoned it :(
I think you have to take it to the trapper

Ah man that sucks. So where's this trapper guy/thing again? Also is there a shortcut to pull up the map? Horizon zero Dawn and Spider-Man had a very convenient method of clicking on the touchpad to bring up the map and it felt seamless. Having to pause the game each time to figure out where to go in RDR2 feels intrusive.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that 25 random encounter is changed every chapter. Be disappointing if that was it for this entire game they've lauded as being over 60 hours lol.

Feel free to recycle them after they're all done, but 25 seems too low.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Apparently murder in Valentine only puts a bounty on your head of $25.00 as I've just collected a bounty for capturing a murderer. Robbing some guy of a pocket watch and some chewing tobacco puts a bounty on your head of $35.00.

And I'm starting to get a bit pissed with the shooting. Had a couple of occasions where I have been ambushed and I have aimed and fired directly at my enemies heads only for the to live on and kill me.

Edit: if any of you guys ever come across a guy who has been bitten by a snake, give him medicine. Ive just bumped into him again in valentine and he bought me a gun of my choice from the gunsmith as a thank you.

Oct 27, 2017
So here's the skinny with this 'infinite money' glitch. I played around with it a bunch and I've optimized it. If you're reading this, and you're a scumbag like me, you can have well over $100K in about an hour. Here's the fastest and most lucrative way to do it once OR multiple times in a row (MINOR CAMP UPGRADE SPOILERS AHEAD):

(I am not responsible for any potential save game breakage that may occur from getting all this money. My optimized route for this glitch assumes that you've played several story missions into Chapter 2, have unlocked the ability to sell illicit goods to Fence NPCs, and have visited one or more areas with a fence. This glitch may not work if you've visited and looted the ruins of Limpany before, and might necessitate the use of an older save as a result.)

ACTIVATION
1) Watch this video. Pay close attention to the location of the ruins of Limpany.
2) Turn off autosaving.
3) Make TWO NEW SAVES at camp (if still in Chapter 2) or near Limpany (if in Chapter 3 or beyond). (One save is a backup in case you want to return to before you used this glitch or in case you screw up, and the other is a save you will overwrite to 'activate' the glitch)
4) Go to the former settlement shown in the video, Limpany (within walking distance of camp if you're still in Chapter 2.)
5) Visit the sherrif's building. You'll notice a lockbox underneath the desk inside. Pull it out from under the desk, and open it. Grab the recipe on the right, without grabbing the gold bar on the left.
6) Switch to first-person and look at the gold bar. Make sure the prompt to take the gold bar appears on the right of your screen, but do not take the gold bar.
7) While still looking at the gold bar, and while the option to take the bar remains onscreen, go into your pause menu, and save, overwriting the second save you made in step 1. Without closing the pause menu, load the save you just made.
8) The glitch has been activated.

MAKING MONEY
1) When your save loads, you'll notice that you're somewhere else nearby Limpany. Return to Limpany, and visit the sherrif's office once more.
2) Walk to the gold bar and hold (X) or (Square). You will proceed to pick up 30 gold bars, each worth $500 apiece.
3) Skip to step 5 if you have already equipped your camp with Dutch's Tent, and the subsequent upgrade, Fast Travel Map For Arthur Morgan.
4) Return to camp. Donate at least 2 gold bars to the camp fund. Use the Ledger to spend the donated money on the Dutch's Tent upgrade, and the subsequent Fast Travel Map For Arthur Morgan. If you have chosen to donate all of your acquired gold bars to the camp, and have purchased the aforementioned upgrades, then skip to step 7.
5) Use Arthur Morgan's Fast Travel Map to fast travel to a settlement or city which you've unlocked that has a Fence NPC, who will accept your acquired gold in bulk for $15,000 at a time, if you have all 30 to sell. Your horse will travel with you.
6) Sell your gold to the Fence. Hop onto your horse, visit the nearest Stagecoach sign, get off your horse, and use the Stagecoach to return to Valentine. Your horse will follow you Valentine if you've followed these steps.
7) Hop onto your horse once more, and return to Limpany.
8) Skip to the next section (DEACTIVATION) if you're done making money using the glitch, and you'd like to 'deactivate' the glitch.
9) Once you're back at Limpany, enter your pause menu, and save once more over the save you overwrote earlier. Without closing the pause menu, load the save you just made.
10) Go back to step 1 of (MAKING MONEY), and repeat these steps as much as you'd like.

DEACTIVATION
1) Upon returning to Limpany after having sold or donated all of your gold, do not save again. Visit the Sherrif's office.
2) Pick up the gold bar. This time, you'll only be able to pick up 2 gold bars, the gold bar in the lockbox will vanish, and the glitch will end. You can proceed as you like.

Hmmmm so tempting

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also is there a shortcut to pull up the map? Horizon zero Dawn and Spider-Man had a very convenient method of clicking on the touchpad to bring up the map and it felt seamless. Having to pause the game each time to figure out where to go in RDR2 feels intrusive.

Hold down the pause button and it'll immediately bring up the map.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty mixed on the game so far.

The graphics, world design, attention to detail, realism are absolutely top tier, a true masterpiece in that regard.

The gameplay however, is pretty bad so far. Input lag, shooting, movement, etc. I expected it as it's a Rockstar game but I'm still let down by how tedious it is to actually play.

I don't think this a fun video game, but it's a great immersive experience.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Whoever thought of the upgrade system really needs a slap...

I played 45 minutes yesterday trying to get the 3 pelts to craft the first satchel available. Why make this work only with perfect pelts R*? WHY? The process to study an animal, find one that is pristine and hope it will drop a perfect pelt after a clean kill (its not guaranteed) is just a total chore. 45 minutes trying to get a perfect pelt and got nothing. This is just the epitome of chore and I do not understand why they did this.

I could understand requiring perfect pelts for the absolute best equipment in the game, but requiring them for every single upgrade available is just pathetic. Game needs to respect my time a bit more. I am getting tired of all these systems. It feels like a cowboy simulator most of the time...its annoying.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Such a pain trying to strafe during shootouts. I keep forgetting to hold A so I can get to cover quickly or actually strafe while shooting.

I just walk slow as molasses and get shot up because holding A just feels unnatural, but even the FPS control scheme didn't really feel right either lol.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dammit these frequent attacks when you travel using the cinematic auto-drive... as if your taxi were subject to gunfights aimed at killing you in gta... damn you bandits.
All my deaths were because of that.

Oct 25, 2017

I played 45 minutes yesterday trying to get the 3 pelts to craft the first satchel available. Why make this work only with perfect pelts R*? WHY? The process to study an animal, find one that is pristine and hope it will drop a perfect pelt after a clean kill (its not guaranteed) is just a total chore. 45 minutes trying to get a perfect pelt and got nothing. This is just the epitome of chore and I do not understand why they did this.

I could understand requiring perfect pelts for the absolute best equipment in the game, but requiring them for every single upgrade available is just pathetic. Game needs to respect my time a bit more. I am getting tired of all these systems. It feels like a cowboy simulator most of the time...its annoying.
It's completetly optional, you don't have to do this.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

For what it's worth, the game is pretty easy all the way through even without upgrades. I'd suggest just ignoring all that, at least for now.

Seep

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Seems like you have a broken controller. One of my controllers has the same problem, just a bit worse. I can't drive fast or shoot in gta5 and I can't shoot with the bow in rdr2 either. It's just one of my controllers that has a faulty r2 ... doesn't get to 100% it seems. No idea how to fix it.

I'm using my newish Pro controller my old regular one is exactly the same. I have no issues on any other games so I don't think that's the problem.

Stantron

Dec 5, 2017
I found a thug holding up a busted wagon on a trail with a man and woman already dead; likely by his hands. He told me to move on unless I want trouble. I proceed to lasso and hogtie him; then loot him and put him on my horse. I wanted to see if the local sheriff would have any interest in him, so I make my way back into Valentine. Well I started to get witness alerts as I trotted in as people started accusing me of kidnapping. I pick up the pace, but by the time I make it to the sheriff's office, the whole town is on alert with a big red circle, and the sheriff isn't even there. I managed to escape but now with a hefty bounty on my head. Unfortunate that I couldn't plead my case.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
It's completetly optional, you don't have to do this.

Yes it is optional. But does that mean that because it is optional its totally fine to make it such a chore? It is nice to go out my way and upgrade my stuff. I get enjoyment out of this process in other games. Besides I NEED the space in my inventory because it will make my life easier in the game. So, again, why make it such a chore from the first available upgrade?

Deleted member 290

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Have you got the Buck Antler trinket? It ups the chances of getting a perfect pelt, but you need to hunt down the legendary buck (its area's in Big Valley, northwest of Strawberry) and then craft the trinket at the fence in Emerald Ranch.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot believe dumbass tried jumping on the kerosene and tar wagon "just to see what would happen" and end up in a gunfight with the dude I threw off. Then I get off the wagon to fight him, but he shoots the kerosene and sets my fucking horse on fire. FUCK. You were a good horse, Halloween. Good night sweet prince.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Agreed. Basically, the game is most fun when you are doing well scripted main missions, essentially when it drops all pretense of "open-world" and "choice." When you get into a crazy shootout after robbing a bank or pull of some other great heist or attack some gang hideout, that is when the game is at its best. It becomes a Hollywood movie with you as the star shooting and running from the law and bandits. The game becomes frustrating anytime you are given "freedom." Because, suddenly you realize how little freedom you have and that you must do everything the way the game says or its "game over."

There is nothing like the joy of infiltrating an outpost in MGSV, deciding just how exactly you feel like tackling your objective. And, none of those systemic game designs found in both MGSV and BOTW, where you can play with all the different systems and get them to interact with each other for great results. You know, things like planting C4 on a jeep and then driving it into an enemy camp before hopping off and exploding it or lighting a clearing on fire then using the heat to lift your parasail up so you can pull out your bow and arrow and do a charged shot on an enemy below. Red Dead wants you to play the game their way and no way else.

To me, the best recent Rockstar game was the one that was absolutely linear, Max Payne 3.

It's exactly the opposite for me.
The story missions are alright, but the free roam is where this game absolutely shines.
Also, Max Payne 3? Jesus.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question regarding the Dead Eye System, When I enter Dead Eye (R3) the game seems to automatically paint the cross mark on an enemy npc's body and it's slowing me down from switching between multiple enemy npcs and painting the cross mark. Is this deliberate?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you got the Buck Antler trinket? It ups the chances of getting a perfect pelt, but you need to hunt down the legendary buck (its area's in Big Valley, northwest of Strawberry) and then craft the trinket at the fence in Emerald Ranch.
I am wondering if the game was trying to push you into getting (all) legendary animals quite early on in the game.......

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is optional. But does that mean that because it is optional its totally fine to make it such a chore? It is nice to go out my way and upgrade my stuff. I get enjoyment out of this process in other games. Besides I NEED the space in my inventory because it will make my life easier in the game. So, again, why make it such a chore from the first available upgrade?
No, Ich just wanted to say...if you don't have any fun with this just don't do it ^^
It's not required and it's not a mission. The game is pretty easy so the upgrades aren't that important imo.

BTW: how do you upgrade? Do you sell pelts and stuff to Pearson?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
15(?) hours in and my save says i'm at 23%. Hope its worth playing well after the 100% completion.

Having a blast though really. No open world game has given me such a sense of physicality to everything and weight to every action. The story is engaging and the writing is clever, and charming too.

Very clear why this game will be divisive to most, but as a fan of Far Cry 2 over the rest of the series, i'm finally scratching this itch.

the % is just there for the trophy, you will have much to do even with 100% "completion". look at the list: they have everything reduced like 10 encounters with strangers but there are much more in the game. besides that you can replay every mission and try to get the gold medal. there is replayability but in the sense that you replay missions instead of the whole game. if someone cares about it, the collectables should take a long time too because they are all over the map. same goes for hunting all 200 animals.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question regarding the Dead Eye System, When I enter Dead Eye (R3) the game seems to automatically paint the cross mark on an enemy npc's body and it's slowing me down from switching between multiple enemy npcs and painting the cross mark. Is this deliberate?

Yes. It will upgrade to instead a tag with r1 instead very soon.

No idea why they did this.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm have mixed feeling about the game.
I love the world they created. It's so great to watch it and there are so many details. I went from Rhodes to Strawberry galloping from end to end, and when I stopped my horse was steaming. And it took some time for him to cool down. Like who put this kind of details? I think I saw the most wonderful fog illuminated by the moonlight in a video game.
But I don't like when I have to move Arthur (on horse it's good but by foot...). The gunplay is... well not good or bad, it's doing the job but nothing special. The hunting is pretty bland even with legendary animals, same for the fishing. With how much work was put to create such a rich and amazing world, it's sad to not have the same level of excellence in the gameplay.
For the writting of the main story, I'm still at the begining of chapter 4, but for the moment it goes from "not bad but cliche" to "bad but not horrible". But I wasn't expecting anything great coming from Rockstar. At leas they put some efforts in the writting of the side content, which make it more interesting than just "go capture this guy" or "collect X objects".
What I really don't like is the multi-layer wheel menu, I just avoid to use item because it's a chore to select the right one. I even prefer to do all the camp chores than selecting an object. At least chores allow me to level my dead-eye bar!

It feels like the opposite of Marvel's Spider-Man. In spider-man it's the gameplay that made me continue to do all the side content. It was repetitive as fuck and not that great to look at, but it was just so fun to move and fight. But in RDR2, it's annoying to fight or move, but oh boy I want to see the next vista, to see how great the lighting is in this palce at different time of the day.
I'll put both game in my GOTY list but for very different reasons.

Last edited:

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
someone in the GB thread said this was Modern Shenmue and I can't say I disagree lol

I was too young when Shenmue came out but I assume a lot of the stuff people praised that game for probably has similar goals/elements here

Jesus. I am so glad I did not listen to Era and buy that game. I heard something about moving boxes for 3 hours and nearly vomited.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
This is the worst controlling game I've played in years. It's killing my enjoyment of it.

How Rockstar games get a free pass by critics (and a lot of users) for their horrendous controls, is literally beyond me. No game deserves 97/100 with these controls. Every single time Rockstar just doesnt give a crap. Its like there is a directive that says that the stiffer and more annoying the controls can be, the better.

It is such a great world, but all these systems and these controls just ruin much of the fun for me. Still cant fathom the game cannot offer analogue control over my character speed and i have to resort to either destroying my X button or toggle between a snail and Usain Bolt... Ugh.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I disagree with the complaints about control. It feels so damn good to control.

PayOffWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester England
I found a thug holding up a busted wagon on a trail with a man and woman already dead; likely by his hands. He told me to move on unless I want trouble. I proceed to lasso and hogtie him; then loot him and put him on my horse. I wanted to see if the local sheriff would have any interest in him, so I make my way back into Valentine. Well I started to get witness alerts as I trotted in as people started accusing me of kidnapping. I pick up the pace, but by the time I make it to the sheriff's office, the whole town is on alert with a big red circle, and the sheriff isn't even there. I managed to escape but now with a hefty bounty on my head. Unfortunate that I couldn't plead my case.

I also had a similar encounter with an (possible very minor spoiler for random encounter)
"escaped prisoner who asked me to shoot off shit chains. I wanted to see what would happen if i took him to the serif and i was surprised to be greeted and get paid for collecting a bounty.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This is the worst controlling game I've played in years. It's killing my enjoyment of it.

maybe for you, this is far from controlling "the worst in years", it is just different. midway through the second chapter i was doing everything intuitively. it is a complex controlling game but no worse controlling game. it has weighty controls instead of floaty controls and frankly, i really like the controls.

so you see, it isn´t bad for every person. bad controls would be a problem for really every person. i for one wouldn´t like the controls to be any other than they are.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stress enough how much it would affect my enjoyment of the game if the bandana really did prevent you getting bounties. It would even be more in line with the games commitment to realism.

At the moment there's lot of stuff I really want to try doing like holding up stores and robbing trains that I'm just not going to bother with because I don't want the trouble of having to pay off big bounty. Even though I'm starting to get more money now it's still a big inconvenience to have to go find a place to pay it off.

I just finished chapter 2 and I'm enjoying the game a lot more than when it began, but it really does get in it's own way sometimes with some of the design decisions they've made.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The controls are absolutely fine. How is it possible that even kids play this game without any problems and this forum is moaning about it all day?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently murder in Valentine only puts a bounty on your head of $25.00 as I've just collected a bounty for capturing a murderer. Robbing some guy of a pocket watch and some chewing tobacco puts a bounty on your head of $35.00.

And I'm starting to get a bit pissed with the shooting. Had a couple of occasions where I have been ambushed and I have aimed and fired directly at my enemies heads only for the to live on and kill me.

Edit: if any of you guys ever come across a guy who has been bitten by a snake, give him medicine. Ive just bumped into him again in valentine and he bought me a gun of my choice from the gunsmith as a thank you.

Ohhhh I did and gave him the meds. I'm off to Valentine!

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely loved the first Red Dead, I 100%ed it and it was the only R* game I did so, I'm not a fan of open-world games in fact I only played and finished Vice City, while I never touched GTA 3,4 and San Andreas.
But RDR2 for now is a huge disappointment. I didn't play long enough, so probably I still need to discover how the story will evolve, but for now there's absolutely no story (I'm in chapter 2) while in the first game there was one from the start, and you slowly discover more about it until you get totally involved with it. In RDR2 there's this band of outlaws with no goal if not doing money, so each mission seems its own thing.

But what is making the game a chore for me are controls. It's too easy to hurt someone when riding, and this instantly trigger a fight with the one you hurted if he has a weapon on him, if not the person in question will set an alarm and you are f**ed up anyway. It happened with the very first bounty I got, I had the man on my horse, hurted someone, he started to shoot me, another man passing started to shoot me, they killed the man on my horse, so I needed to reload a checkpoint. If you reply to the enemy fire and you kill those guys, and someone watch you doing it, you have a bounty on your head. It's like nothing changed from the release of GTAIII and RDR2. You can't claim the game is going for realism and than you have stuff like this in which everyone shoots you on sight because you hurted them.

Also slow speed in your camp, slow speed while in the building, the game feels like it's trying to slow you down. Other people told me you can unlock fast travel, for now I have no access to it and spending 10-15 minutes doing nothing but riding from point A to B it's an absolute chore, in fact I put like three hours in this game for now because when I think on how slow everything is, the will to play it goes off. Also checkpoint sucks while you are not inside a proper mission but doing tasks in free roam- The legendary bear killed me with one bit because I decided to hunt him down alone, and than the game respawned me in the middle of nowhere: the location of the bear was very far away, and probably I'd get killed again if I went here, so I decided to go back to the camp and I spend 15 minutes doing so. It all drags too much and it feels like R* did this on purpose to artificially extend the game's lenght or because, in case of the walking animation being so slow, the game wouldn't be 30 fps. The framerate goes down so much the moment you enter a city, so moving even faster could bring it down.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the bandana seems useless. Maybe people in town don't recognize you after, despite the bounty? I walked into a town I had a bounty in without the town losing its mind thankfully.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to get freedom after the first chapter, I felt it was a bit too restricted

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
O'Driscol boys keep eyeballing and taunting me along some of my routes. There's only so much i can take.

How Rockstar games get a free pass by critics (and a lot of users) for their horrendous controls, is literally beyond me.

Perhaps these reviewers dont feel impeded like many here dont? I find it perfectly fine to control, so no need to bring it up as an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.