flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I done my first treasure hunt, Jack Hall Treasure on map part one, but when I sold the treasure I got nothing much for it at the fencer. Why is that?

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
Am I the only one who thinks that the time of day progresses too fast? I am taking things really slow and realistic, I wish there was a settings to slow it down a bit.

"Oh look, a nice sunset... and whoops it's gone."

"Ah, it's dark and after 10, let's find a nice place to camp... oh well it's almost morning again."

Also, rainy/stormy weather doesn't last that long, I wish it would span over multiple days so when the sun comes out again it feels like a relief.

Slow the tod transition, slow the weather patterns down...would absolutely make it even more glorious...it is a little strange having really dark skies disappear in a matter of seconds. Slowing it down i think would make it look even better, and of course more natural.

Absolutely. One of my main complaints about the game from a presentation standpoint. The day night cylce is way too fast and the weather change is abrupt .For a game that encourages you to slow down and take things in, it's really strange .

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game ever cap your honor? I'm quite near the top end, but I feel like absolutely NOTHING moves me up, whereas any sort of moral ambiguity will send me tumbling down quite visibly.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, that's about it.

Also you dont need money to break the game. Just hunt the legendary animals and create the trinkets to make a lot of things easier. Stuff like adding 5 seconds to Dead Eye, easier to get pelts and even a trinket so carcasses dont rot on your horse.

Wow! Thanks for the advice! I need that carcass one, I had a wolf rot on my horse just as i'd got back to camp. So annoyed.

Not the worst view I've come across.

Jeeeez, best looking game ever.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Kind of disappointing that most of the houses that you come by in the country are locked up and not possible to enter. Sure some of them you can but i would expect all of them to be able to rob or loot. Its not like there are so many for it to be difficult (technically i mean). And they are so detailed on the outside that it really feels like you should be able to do something there apart from just looking.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Kind of disappointing that most of the houses that you come by in the country are locked up and not possible to enter. Sure some of them you can but i would expect all of them to be able to rob or loot. Its not like there are so many for it to be difficult (technically i mean). And they are so detailed on the outside that it really feels like you should be able to do something there apart from just looking.
8 years of development, and what is more than likely the most expensive video game to have ever been produced, and you're going for the lazy devs thing?

Logistically, it isn't feasible to make every house in a game this big enterable.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
yup. Daytime is ok, but dusk/dawn are way too quick and nighttime is way too short.
It also suffers from the same schizophrenia affecting most games that feature dynamic weather: devs apparently really want to show every possible weather condition over the course of a single day.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
xBAYv9F.gif

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
yup. Daytime is ok, but dusk/dawn are way too quick and nighttime is way too short.
It also suffers from the same schizophrenia affecting most games that feature dynamic weather: devs apparently really want to show every possible weather condition over the course of a single day.
It's using the same day/night cycle as GTA V (48 minutes in real life = 24 hours in game), but RDR2 is a much slower paced game than GTA V so I don't think it works as well for RDR2.

I'd like to see them change it too, but I think that's highly unlikely at this point.

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Is the framerate always this awful in Saint Denis on a base PS4?

I went there because I really wanted to check the trapper out (after maybe 35+ hours and in Chapter 3) and man, it was bad.

And it's a shame, because I haven't seen a city so well realized and natural in a long time. It's just gorgeous, and I love the detail in every building (even when you can't enter most of them, understandably) and the diversity in the architecture and places, as well as the people. Absolutely great and I can't wait to properly explore it.
Where is this mission?
I haven't seen them myself, but I think that's a random event and not a mission. Probably around the bayou/wooded area around Saint Denis?

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, I kinda understand the restrictions with GTAV, but in the age of The Witcher 3 where you can basically enter most houses (especially in the wilderness outside of big cities), Rockstar is a bit behind in this department.

Where is this mission?
It's a random event. I encountered it in a forest area just outside of Rhodes at night.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
It's using the same day/night cycle as GTA V (48 minutes in real life = 24 hours in game), but RDR2 is a much slower paced game than GTA V so I don't think it works as well for RDR2.

I'd like to see them change it too, but I think that's highly unlikely at this point.

Lmao, dynamite is glorious! :P

Where is this mission?

West of Strawberry, I believe. I have a save slot just for this area. >:)

With that machete and the hockey mask you could make some incredible gifs

Wow, dude. Thanks for the tip! I know what I''m doing later now. :)

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I kinda understand the restrictions with GTAV, but in the age of The Witcher 3 where you can basically enter most houses (especially in the wilderness outside of big cities), Rockstar is a bit behind in this department.

It's a random event. I encountered it in a forest area just outside of Rhodes at night.

To be fair most of the random houses in TW3 look really similar and are clearly just the same assets reused every time.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
8 years of development, and what is more than likely the most expensive video game to have ever been produced, and you're going for the lazy devs thing?

Logistically, it isn't feasible to make every house in a game this big enterable.

What kind of an absolute shit of a response is this? My post nowhere implies the lazy devs shit or any of your assumptions there. The 8 years development can be literally justified by the amount of work they did with the NPCs. In fact I think they did such an excellent job with this that it could be the reason why they just didnt have the time for what I am saying here.

I dont want to be able to enter every house in the game... i dont expect to go to Saint Dennis and walk into every building. What I said was that sometimes I encounter interesting place in the world and I wish I was able to do something there. They are so detailed that it makes you feel that something must happen here. Thats it. Jesus...the lengths some of you go to defend your precious developer is beyond me...

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just had a horse race encounter. This is the third one I've run into. Both of the previous ones, I took alternate routes and won handily. This time though, I got about 10 yards off the beaten path and it told me I'd abandoned the race. First one to catfish jackson's, she said. She didn't tell me I had to stay on the route she picked the whole way. Annoying.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
What kind of an absolute shit of a response is this? My post nowhere implies the lazy devs shit or any of your assumptions there. The 8 years development can be literally justified by the amount of work they did with the NPCs. In fact I think they did such an excellent job with this that it could be the reason why they just didnt have the time for what I am saying here.

I dont want to be able to enter every house in the game... i dont expect to go to Saint Dennis and walk into every building. What I said was that sometimes I encounter interesting place in the world and I wish I was able to do something there. They are so detailed that it makes you feel that something must happen here. Thats it. Jesus...the lengths some of you go to defend your precious developer is beyond me...
I don't know, this:

"i would expect all of them to be able to rob or loot. Its not like there are so many for it to be difficult (technically i mean)."

Sounded like a "lazy dev" thing to me.

It is in actual fact technically, but especially logistically difficult to make a whole bunch of houses able to be entered. Especially when you want there to be a purpose. I wanna bet that if they actually did this, and they'd finish the product where there's like 70 houses that you could enter instead of the, what, 20 unique ones you can enter right now, that you'd be here complaining about the fact that there's no real purpose to any of it. At any rate though, the expectation that you should be able to do this is unrealistic.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, this:

"i would expect all of them to be able to rob or loot. Its not like there are so many for it to be difficult (technically i mean)."

Sounded like a "lazy dev" thing to me.

It is in actual fact technically, but especially logistically difficult to make a whole bunch of houses able to be entered. Especially when you want there to be a purpose. I wanna bet that if they actually did this, and they'd finish the product where there's like 70 houses that you could enter instead of the, what, 20 unique ones you can enter right now, that you'd be here complaining about the fact that there's no real purpose to any of it. At any rate though, the expectation that you should be able to do this is unrealistic.
....that's not him saying they are lazy devs, far from it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'd take that over not being able to enter them at all. It adds to the immersion 10x times. And it's not like the random small houses in RDR2 are unique anyway.

So no real loss if you're just entering a cut and paste interior again. RDR 2's have more exterior variety while even the huts look basically the same from the outside as well in TW3. I guess even Rockstar just had to say fuck it and some point and just shop the game. In Saint Denis you can only enter about 10% of the buildings as well and they are all shops

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
Does the game ever cap your honor? I'm quite near the top end, but I feel like absolutely NOTHING moves me up, whereas any sort of moral ambiguity will send me tumbling down quite visibly.

Seems that way to me too. Annoyingly so. I think it might be capped by the chapter.
Same. Currently at Chapter 3, can't max my honor, maybe off by just 10%. Been fishing and throwing the fish back into the water for a long time now, the bar just wouldn't move.

I also hate how looting dead bodies can decrease your honor. Sometimes you see a corpse out in the open with nothing around it, so you loot it thinking you might find a letter on the body or something, then DING, negative honor.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So no real loss if you're just entering a cut and paste interior again. RDR 2's have more exterior variety while even the huts look basically the same from the outside as well in TW3. I guess even Rockstar just had to say fuck it and some point and just shop the game. In Saint Denis you can only enter about 10% of the buildings as well and they are all shops
I actually like that mission in chapter 2 where you rob a house at night. I simply want to do more of that, but sadly most houses can't be entered. There's a lockpicking tool and I expect to use it more often. But instead, we only got like 7 homesteads that can be robbed, fantastic. Imagine if we can enter most houses. They may be locked but if we can sneak in using the lockpick and steal while the owner is sleeping that would make the world feel more realized.

Just like Kingdom Come, for a recent example.

Oct 27, 2017
How do I post stuff, or is that locked behind a mission I haven't done yet? I've been to various post places, but either there is no one there or the NPC can't be interacted with. I'm still not very far into the game.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
If saying "I expect more. It's not as if it's difficult" isn't, on the surface, implying that they're lazy, then I don't know what to tell you.

Every single person engaged in our exchange on this subject has literally told you that you jumped the gun on this. So just stop. The lazy thing, you just pulled it out of nowhere.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game, good stuff.
Is there now a way to turn back time or something, I wanna play as my Arthur?

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Every single person engaged in our exchange on this subject has literally told you that you jumped the gun on this. So just stop. The lazy thing, you just pulled it out of nowhere.
I don't give a fuck what other people think on this, I'm telling you how it came across to me. Why are you still on this thread of conversation though? I assumed something, you corrected me. What more is there to be said? Let's move on to the actual meat of both of my comments, which is the fact that it actually very likely is very difficult to provide more interiors than are currently in the game.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I should really be able to get a closer shave than I can at a barber. I still have some pretty wicked 5 o'clock shadow.

EDIT: That said I just got my first haircut since starting. Holy shit I am one dapper fella.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do I post stuff, or is that locked behind a mission I haven't done yet? I've been to various post places, but either there is no one there or the NPC can't be interacted with. I'm still not very far into the game.

I have only sent
1 letter in the whole game if i remember correctly... the clerk should come to you though, that's how you pay your bounty :) Anyway the clerk comes if he's not already here, you start a discussion as always and you can post stuff if you have stuff to post through an errand, receive stuff if the icon of the post office is an open envelope with a written letter (i think it happened 4-5 times for me), pay a bounty if the icon is an envelope with an exclamation point mark... there is another stuff as well but it comes way later in game. This may get unlocked either with the first postal errand or the first bounty, whichever comes first but i cannot remember the clerk being locked before.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

Witcher 3 has a barely reactive world. You can enter random peoples homes in Novigrad, and they won't give a shit. I remember when I was searching for a diagram, and I was entering a bunch of houses, nobody really seemed to mind me looting or sprinting across the room as they were going about their days. TW3's cities were amazing backdrops, but ultimately had no real sandbox purpose. RDR 2 (and bethesda games too) may have less interiors or less density but the world is way more reactive to player actions.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Because I usually spend the first few hours to hoard money. Doing it saves my time by a lot.

Also it doesnt break the game, not even close. You still need to hunt, or get achievements to get some sets or items for the camp. You can't really buff weapons to the point where it makes the game easy, plus most weapons are locked until you progress more into the game. Not to mention horses. Items are generally really cheap even.

But getting money to spend on clothes? Fuck yes. Nothing game breaking at all.

Agreed. I used it and I'm content with my decision and likely will do it again when I finish and go back to this eventually.