• 70-79, 7/10, Recommended

Votes: 11 0.4%
  • Below 70, Not Recommended

Votes: 167 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
In line with expectations. I prefer not to read much, but I like the idea of embracing a slower, contemplative pace. The most impactful works in the last five years have followed that template. It truly elevated the final material as a result.

With the sources they've used as inspiration, plus that Roger Deakins' lighting the game has going, this could be their most mature, realistic work. All by leaving modern society and its conventions aside.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turning off the HUD changes the dialogue and makes NPCs give more detailed directions with landmarks.

Wow.

Mar 23, 2018
RfCBJwT.png

I was closer with my 102 Meta prediction than many itt!

*Based on 22 critics

The PS4 version has 50+ now. Can't really say it's #1 game on MC since more reviews are obviously going to be done on the more popular console.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Watched EZA review. Really remarkable. One thing I am a little hesitant on is your horse not being able to be called everywhere. I guess Odyssey has spoiled me but I love the option to get in and get out whenever, wherever, but alas, that's not realistic and I know RDR2 is going for the most realistic approach that it can.

Oct 26, 2017
It shouldn't be too surprising that some sites give a lower score, because this game isn't for everyone like a GTA game is almost for anyone really. What did Slant give RDR? Or weren't they around at that time yet?

Mar 23, 2018
Wow, Xbox actually won for once

QUeen X having the highest rated game

The X is obviously going to have the best version of the game as it's the most powerful. You're surprised?

If you're comparing the metacritic scores between the two (a difference of two points lol) that doesn't make any sense considering the One has way less reviews.

Oct 25, 2017
Any of these reviews go in to detail on the controls and shooting? I think I might hate GTA snap aim combat so I'm hoping this controls more like Max Payne 3.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
From the Slant review:

For all of the significant improvements Red Dead Redemption 2 has made to an open-world template, however, it still maintains Rockstar's bullish commitment to a clunky control scheme. Across what's now four games and two console generations, the company's characters have lumbered along in what's meant to convey the weight of a real person in contrast to the light, effortless controls of so many other games. But the result is artificial rather than convincing. Studios like Naughty Dog have proven capable of giving characters a consequential sense of weight without making it a challenge to navigate around a table or requiring you to hold down buttons to move at acceptable speeds. Coupled with middling gunplay feedback and a few too many stealth segments, the chunky act of playing Red Dead Redemption 2doesn't feel good so much as it feels, eventually at least, tolerable.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the top of Metacritic's list, but has 98 rather than OoT's 99?

How does that work? Just hasn't updated with new reviews, or?

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Doesn't matter. If it has enough reviews on a platform which it does now, it counts. The X1 version of RDR2 is currently the highest rated game of all time on MC.

How does that even work? Why is it top?

Ocarina is at 99 with 22 reviews and RDR2 X1 is at 98 with 22...but it's top...how? Lol.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
He works at Variety now? Thought he was getting out of the game industry.
He's been doing reviews on and off for different high profile mags for a while now, I think. Nice little side gigs, sounds like. He's not a fan of Rockstar games beyond Bully, so it surprises me he even chose to review this.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
what if a game is actually better on a different platform? skyrim on PC is basically a different game

The difference on this game is not enough to warrant such a divide besides some of the reviews are the same for both platforms like for example IGN while the reviewer obviously finished the game on only one platform. It's just stupid.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
That's gonna be a long 16 hours wait. GTA:V got a 97 and it was my least favorite R* game ever. Hoping RDR2 doesn't disappoint me so keeping my expectations in check.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Oh whoops I forgot a link. Here: https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-the-kotaku-review-1829984369

I cannot recommend this review enough. It's one of the best I've ever read.

Intentional or not, Red Dead Redemption 2 can be read as a meditation on failed leaders, and even as a potent critique of the internal and external cultures that Rockstar has helped perpetuate. Dutch Van der Linde is every inch the manipulative boss, frightening not only for his violent nature but for his ability to marshal people to work against their own self-interest. Time and again he reveals his shameless hypocrisy, and his promises of a new life are consistently shown to be empty maneuvering. "This isn't a prison camp," he says at one point, uncannily echoing every supervisor who has ever coerced an underling into a technically optional task. "I am not forcing anybody to stay. So either we're in this together, working together to get out together, or we're not. There simply isn't a reality in which we do nothing and get everything." I half-expected him to promise everyone bonuses if they hit their sales target.​
I think that might be the most interesting review for a game I've ever read. Thanks for sharing, Jason!

Oct 28, 2017
FUCK FUCK FUCK...

I'm only about 60% through Assasins Creed Odyssey and I know that if I start RDR2, I'll likely not ever come back to it.