Oct 27, 2017
there are far too many GOOD subreddits that don't do any cringe stuff mentioned in the OP.

just stay out of r/popular and you are golden.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, all the big subs are just karma farming now. Yea, some threads here will get a few joke posts in a row occasionally, but reddit is never serious at all.

Jan 10, 2018
Then why not implement a minimum character requirement for posts? Seriously, what kind of contribution could a 5 character word make to a conversation anyway? This is a discussion board, not a reaction board.

Also, restrict the amount of times a post can be quoted. This will stop dogpiling and 'first post' masturbation posts clogging shit up.
Is there an addon or extension that will search the text on a page and remove "so, uh" or "I mean"? I've never seen an instance where they've added anything to a statement and just makes the poster look like a bumbling, rambling fool.

On the subject of Reddit, it's a dog! Not a pupper, not a doggo, not a good boy, it's a fucking dog. Your childish mannerisms don't make you look cute or playful and full of childlike wonder.

"X level 99" can fuck off too.

To be honest, a lot of it just seems like a load of people who never had friends at school to have in-jokes with; and posting the same shit phrases and memes as everyone else makes them finally feel like they are part of a social circle.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
Then why not implement a minimum character requirement for posts? Seriously, what kind of contribution could a 5 character word make to a conversation anyway? This is a discussion board, not a reaction board.

Also, restrict the amount of times a post can be quoted. This will stop dogpiling and 'first post' masturbation posts clogging shit up.
Is there an addon or extension that will search the text on a page and remove "so, uh" or "I mean"? I've never seen an instance where they've added anything to a statement and just makes the poster look like a bumbling, rambling fool.

On the subject of Reddit, it's a dog! Not a pupper, not a doggo, not a good boy, it's a fucking dog. Your childish mannerisms don't make you look cute or playful and full of childlike wonder.

To be honest, a lot of it just seems like a load of people who never had friends at school to have in-jokes with; and posting the same shit phrases and memes as everyone else makes them finally feel like they are part of a social circle.

please feel free to put me on ignore

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

🤔

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
This is exactly why voting based message boards like Reddit are the worst.

They don't encourage quality posting. They encourage hivemind and meme based posting.

It's a big factor as to why I find Reddit to be an insufferable platform and vastly prefer Era.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Can confirm, am Reddit user

Just pick and choose your subs carefully and you almost never have to deal with this stuff.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly why voting based message boards like Reddit are the worst.

They don't encourage quality posting. They encourage hivemind and meme based posting.

It's a big factor as to why I find Reddit to be an insufferable platform and vastly prefer Era.
you say that, but the hiveminds and shitposts here aren't any better

Last edited:

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that's just "people" rather than Reddit.

People have been embellishing their boring stories and making puns for hundreds of years.

Deleted member 25888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Full stop is my most hated here. It's literally designed to end discussion. Might as well type /thread. The post should speak for itself.

Also, the increase in "weird flex" seems forced but perhaps I'm too old.

Last one to get off my chest:

Using "y'all" when I wonder if the poster only says it to bolster their point by sounding more Everyman-like but I'm suspicious that they probably never use it in actual speech.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Another Reddit bashing thread, you can imagine my surprise. I'm beginning to think you lot are obsessed.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Using "y'all" when I wonder if the poster only says it to bolster their point by sounding more Everyman-like but I'm suspicious that they probably never use it in actual speech.
Me and most others who are neither native english speakers nor live in such a country... kinda have to wing it with the slang we use while participating in a heavily american community.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I stopped browsing imgur years ago. False news, fake info and everyone sounds like the same bot posting the same jokes or puns for those glorious internet points. The downvoted section was always more entertaining than anything else.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So can we talk about this thread? People be criticising Reddit for having their own manners of speech when, I mean, it's almost as if communities develop their own manners of speech. Ya'll need to rethink things because it's just not a good look to be criticising Reddit like this. These kinds of hot takes were common at """the old place""" and they are here as well, I thought we would be better tbh. It's as bad a take as the Star Wars fanboys who wanted Luke to be a Jedi Messiah in The Last Jedi. Frankly, if this were a thread about "Seddit" the hate wouldn't be nearly as pronounced. ResetERA fanboys just need to chill because what they're doing here is just cringe.

The thread backfire in here is real. Just... yikes.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Era has its own versions of these things as well.
Ooof.

Yikes.

Mega Yikes.

Big Yikes.

Maximum Cringe.

So can we talk about this thread? People be criticising Reddit for having their own manners of speech when, I mean, it's almost as if communities develop their own manners of speech. Ya'll need to rethink things because it's just not a good look to be criticising Reddit like this. These kinds of hot takes were common at """the old place""" and they are here as well, I thought we would be better tbh. It's as bad a take as the Star Wars fanboys who wanted Luke to be a Jedi Messiah in The Last Jedi. Frankly, if this were a thread about "Seddit" the hate wouldn't be nearly as pronounced. ResetERA fanboys just need to chill.

The thread backfire in here is real, damn. Just... yikes.
Oh look he did it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

This is the most insufferable internet trend of recent years. I've run into people who will literally not call dogs "dogs" anymore because of it.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Yikes"
"That's a hard pass from me dog"
[citation needed]

Era's full of this crap too. It's not a Reddit thing.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
Man, this just makes me miss the old AV Club comments, as dumb as they could be.

Though those were balanced (as they are here, to some degree) with genuinely interesting discussion.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
OP, you forgot "X here", which has even made its way onto Twitter annoyingly enough, where people are going "Chelsea here .....". Do you need to announce yourself and say your own name when posting from your twitter account meaning everyone already know that its you?

Its annoying on reddit too because you usually find it in threads asking for advice and anyone giving said advice will preface it with "Doctor here" before spouting off information that can be found on the first page of results when you just google the problem.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Forums of all sorts are very predictable. Some threads I read the title and I've got the whole thing mapped out already.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks people in this thread are trying to pass off their subjective opinions as facts?

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This stuff is a complete non-issue. I only see content from subs that are usually on specific topics or game communities. Lots of helpful information can be obtained quite easily. It's a good tool if you actually bothered to use it correctly.