Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I will not in a million years click on RLM stuff not uploaded by the channel itself because I have no doubt it will lead down a hole of getting recommended increasingly lunatic alt-right movie reviewers bitching about SJWs and shit like that. Youtube's algorithms are absolute trash.

Also Jay pulled a Rich in setting himself up for that joke. That's some Warhammer figures/Drunk uncle stuff.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I will not in a million years click on RLM stuff not uploaded by the channel itself because I have no doubt it will lead down a hole of getting recommended increasingly lunatic alt-right movie reviewers bitching about SJWs and shit like that. Youtube's algorithms are absolute trash.

Also Jay pulled a Rich in setting himself up for that joke. That's some Warhammer figures/Drunk uncle stuff.
This is too true. lol
It feeds into the whole "they're all fervent racists in Milwaukee" narrative too.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Right click -> Open in private window" works for me. Doesn't store a record of you watching the video in your browser history or cookies, and it creates a new, disposable, single-use Youtube profile that gets burned in a fire as soon as you close the window, instead of corrupting your regular Youtube profile.

I'm sure that Youtube knows, or could know (like, I saw a thing once about how profilers can figure out more about you by figuring out where you aren't than by figuring out where you are, and that silence can speak volumes), but it doesn't seem to shit up my recommendations when I click on the stuff I normally consume, while right click -> open private window for literally everything else.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
"Right click -> Open in private window" works for me. Doesn't store a record of you watching the video in your browser history or cookies, and it creates a new, disposable, single-use Youtube profile that gets burned in a fire as soon as you close the window, instead of corrupting your regular Youtube profile.
Oh believe me I definitely do that for half of all videos I ever click on this website just so my Youtube feed stays very particular. But in this particular case my memory of that is precise enough I didn't even need to see it, hah. I just avoid clicking any of that in my actual feed.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever I watch my recommendations are always half subbed stuff, half just like my subbed stuff. I've never had problems with "The Algorithm".

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the occasional video game guide and music Playlist, RLM is the ONLY thing I watch on YouTube.

RLM are my only suggestions.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
willy wonka is such a fucking classic

amazing how effortlessly weird it is compared to the most try hard weird tim burton version

CaptainTrips

Nov 20, 2017
Mike's unconditional love for Willy Wonka is so wholesome.

Watching this made me feel so nostalgic on all the times I watched this as a kid on VHS or TV reruns.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Burton´s Willy Wonka is whatever. Here is the real WTF remake:
MV5BZGYzYThjNzMtN2U1Mi00N2UyLWIxMWUtNThiYTNkNTYxODAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzExMzc0MDg@._V1_.jpg
cc6943dd42e5b0e47605833df08c57d1.jpg

Why did the hacks skip it? Crash 1996 is further really good. Yes, I am a sex pervert. Behold the new German cover:
4260294859760_600x600.jpg

Edit: The NC-17 is earned in blood. Ebert´s 3,5/4 review:

Crash movie review & film summary (1997) | Roger Ebert

If you can imagine the state of mind I'm about to describe, you will understand David Cronenberg's "Crash.'' It is that trancelike state when you are drawn to do something you should not do, and have passed through the stages of common sense and inhibition and arrived at critical velocity. You...

Last edited:

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
never saw the johnny depp one. seems pretty awful

mike referencing marilyn manson but talking shit about oingo boingo. smh

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
never saw the johnny depp one. seems pretty awful
It had a few good points. I mean ultimately if the Burton style is your thing this one isn't nearly as barf inducing as Alice in Wonderland and some of the songs were fine. If I recall correctly they even gave Wonka a bit more of a back story in the Burton one. But the film can't compare to the OG on multiple fronts.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It had a few good points. I mean ultimately if the Burton style is your thing this one isn't nearly as barf inducing as Alice in Wonderland and some of the songs were fine. If I recall correctly they even gave Wonka a bit more of a back story in the Burton one. But the film can't compare to the OG on multiple fronts.

It'd be one thing if the original film was radically different from the book and Burton was trying to more faithfully adapt the source. As I understand it the original film is very faithful to the book so even that doesn't work.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
It'd be one thing if the original film was radically different from the book and Burton was trying to more faithfully adapt the source. As I understand it the original film is very faithful to the book so even that doesn't work.
Roald Dahl famously didn't like the final film, which is why he didn't give up the rights to a film adaptation of his books until The Witches shortly before he passed. Personally I think the original film handles some elements better than the book, Wonka wasn't much of a character in the book, more of a glorified tour guide, and Charlie is only the winner because he's the last kid standing, there's no subplot with the Wonka spy posing as Slugworth or the Fizzy Lifting Drinks, its just "Oh the other kids are gone, guess you won". Even the Burton movie knew that that would have made a poor ending, so they changed it up in their own way as well.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'll have to disagree with Mike on Grandpa Joe. As a child when old people are more likely to come off as scary a la Bill & Ted 2, he was lovable, a good throwback to the 1950s b&w child musical films, and outside of Gene Wilder had all the most significant pieces of dialogue. He came off as salt-of-the-earth rather than devil on Charlie's shoulder.

Also has the best song.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Going into the backstory and origin of Willy Wonka was as bad of an idea as going into the backstory of Michael Myers. Sometimes you just need to leave things to mystery.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Lost it at Mike comparing the rivers of chocolate lmao.

Never seen either version, might crack some beers and watch them back to back this week.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019

Neil Breen has become aware of modern technology. Impressive.

Amazon says the movie is in HD.

Watch Twisted Pair | Prime Video

Two identical twin brothers become hybrid, super power, artificial intelligence entities, yet are torn in different directions on their attitudes towards achieving justice for humanity. The brothers are torn and conflicted in their relationship and the dark and lonely turn their lives have taken.

Isn't that a first for a Breen film? Finally escaping DVD SD resolution.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really thought that Mike's interpretation of Grandpa Joe was the common consensus. That guy is absolutely a scumbag.
He's a prick, fakes being bed bound, has everyone running after him then he's up and dancing when he forces himself into the trip to the factory
AFAIK, the "Grandpa Joe is an asshole" take is the sort of modern, cynical edgelord sort of take.

Like, Charlie's mom tells Charlie not to dream, because dreams don't come true. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, life sucks and then you die. And the sooner you accept that, the less it's going to hurt. But Charlie connects with Grandpa Joe the most, because Grandpa Joe was a dreamer once, so Grandpa Joe knows how good it feels to dream, but his time has passed and his will to live has been destroyed by the crushing weight of old age and poverty.

Then (against all odds) Charlie wins the contest, and he's willing to pick Grandpa Joe to take along for the ride, and Grandpa Joe's will to live is restored. Grandpa Joe wasn't "faking" his illness because he's "lazy", he was legit mentally destroyed by the hopelessness of poverty (the sort of mental damage Charlie's mom was trying to warn him away from), until he was cured by Charlie's golden ticket miracle, which confirmed that dreaming losers really can win sometimes.

Then Grandpa Joe convinces Charlie to drink and steal because Grandpa Joe's drunk on happiness and because the stolen candy is realistically the solution to all of their lives problems. He's not a villain or an asshole, he's just not as pure as Charlie. And Charlie gives back the candy, because he's willing to go back to poverty rather than become a thief (which turned out of be the right answer, because stealing was a trap and there was no victory in that direction). I think that Grandpa Joe was meant to show how nobody except Charlie was capable of becoming Willie Wonka's successor, how anyone would have done like Grandpa Joe and taken the candy and ran, except for Charlie. Grandpa Joe wasn't the rare asshole villain who almost cost Charlie the prize that anyone could've easily won. He was the normal everyman who proved how special Charlie was.

(Of course, it's been a while since I've seen the movie, and much longer since I read the book.)

Also, regarding Grandpa Joe getting tobacco while the family was in poverty, I think it's important to remember when this was made. In 1964, when the book was published, the American Surgeon General had just released a report indicating that cigarettes were cancerous deathsticks (which the tobacco industry had known and covered up for decades). Before this point, the tobacco industry was literally marketing their product as a fucking health product. In 1971, when the movie was released, the tobacco industry was finally banned from advertising their death-lies on radio and TV in the United States (still allowed to do paid product placement in movies though).

To our modern sensibilities, it seems like madness to describe tobacco as an essential needs item to an old man while his family was suffering in poverty, but it was a different time back then. A stupider time. A worse time. A time when maliciously evil predators exploited people like Charlie's family (literally and metaphorically) for profit.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Charlie "I found a golden ticket!"
Grandpa Joe "You found a golden ticket?"
Grandpa Joe "I found a golden ticket

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Wow I knew absolutely none of this stuff about Willy Wonka. Fascinating production. I last saw it in elementary school and all of this makes me realize I actually remembered very little of it. I owe that movie another look.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK, the "Grandpa Joe is an asshole" take is the sort of modern, cynical edgelord sort of take.

Like, Charlie's mom tells Charlie not to dream, because dreams don't come true. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, life sucks and then you die. And the sooner you accept that, the less it's going to hurt. But Charlie connects with Grandpa Joe the most, because Grandpa Joe was a dreamer once, so Grandpa Joe knows how good it feels to dream, but his time has passed and his will to live has been destroyed by the crushing weight of old age and poverty.

Then (against all odds) Charlie wins the contest, and he's willing to pick Grandpa Joe to take along for the ride, and Grandpa Joe's will to live is restored. Grandpa Joe wasn't "faking" his illness because he's "lazy", he was legit mentally destroyed by the hopelessness of poverty (the sort of mental damage Charlie's mom was trying to warn him away from), until he was cured by Charlie's golden ticket miracle, which confirmed that dreaming losers really can win sometimes.

Then Grandpa Joe convinces Charlie to drink and steal because Grandpa Joe's drunk on happiness and because the stolen candy is realistically the solution to all of their lives problems. He's not a villain or an asshole, he's just not as pure as Charlie. And Charlie gives back the candy, because he's willing to go back to poverty rather than become a thief (which turned out of be the right answer, because stealing was a trap and there was no victory in that direction). I think that Grandpa Joe was meant to show how nobody except Charlie was capable of becoming Willie Wonka's successor, how anyone would have done like Grandpa Joe and taken the candy and ran, except for Charlie. Grandpa Joe wasn't the rare asshole villain who almost cost Charlie the prize that anyone could've easily won. He was the normal everyman who proved how special Charlie was.

(Of course, it's been a while since I've seen the movie, and much longer since I read the book.)

Also, regarding Grandpa Joe getting tobacco while the family was in poverty, I think it's important to remember when this was made. In 1964, when the book was published, the American Surgeon General had just released a report indicating that cigarettes were cancerous deathsticks (which the tobacco industry had known and covered up for decades). Before this point, the tobacco industry was literally marketing their product as a fucking health product. In 1971, when the movie was released, the tobacco industry was finally banned from advertising their death-lies on radio and TV in the United States (still allowed to do paid product placement in movies though).

To our modern sensibilities, it seems like madness to describe tobacco as an essential needs item to an old man while his family was suffering in poverty, but it was a different time back then. A stupider time. A worse time. A time when maliciously evil predators exploited people like Charlie's family (literally and metaphorically) for profit.
Great post, but honestly I disliked grandpa Joe even as a kid. You're probably right but he just always came across as selfish to me.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just remembered that Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was featured in Mr Plinkett's 90 minute Phantom Menace review, when he was talking about competent movie structure. He referenced...

A New Hope
Raimi Spiderman
Die Hard
Gremlins
Back to the Future
The Terminator
The Matrix
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Rocketeer
Starship Troopers
Rocky
and Kevin Bacon (Tremors)

Off the top of my head, I think Mike has since done videos about how much he loves Gremlins, Willy Wonka, The Rocketeer, Starship Troopers, and Tremors. 5/12

So he still needs to do the original Star Wars (kinda obvious, no?), Raimi Spiderman (do Spiderverse too, cowards!), Die Hard, Back to the Future, The Terminator, The Matrix (IIRC, Mr. Plinkett said he wanted to do a video about how bad Matrix 2&3 were), and Rocky.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
There was originally some art quickly shown around the 11:50 mark when they were talking about how Rawhead was originally described in the short story.

One of the artist made a copyright claim for the 2 seconds his art was on screen.