Redo: Have you ever played a Sega Saturn game?

• No

Votes: 99 12.8%
  • Yes, I own / owned real hardware

Votes: 420 54.1%
  • Yes, I tried / borrowed real hardware

Votes: 142 18.3%
  • Yes, but only ports / emulation / clones

Votes: 115 14.8%

• Total voters

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
Currently working my way through Shining Force III with plans to finally play the (fan translated) parts 2 and 3. My CRT is being funky though so I'm not sure if I want to continue on that or maybe get a retrotink 4k (or possibly keep waiting for a MARS FPGA) and finish that way.

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
Once they had the whole RAM cart thing I got a secondhand one with an Action Replay to play imports.

Finally playing decent ports of SNK AES games (including non-KOF ones that never hit my arcades) was as much of a milestone for me as 3D graphics that gen.

Apr 7, 2018
I don't remember if I posted in the last one so I'll try and keep it short.

Yes, and I still have my Saturn I got new in 1996. It was the the system I chose between the big three that year so it was my big birthday gift for turning 10. I wanted nights and sonic xtreme (šŸ˜­) but only had the bootleg sampler it came with and UMK3 that my brother got me. Unfortunately JC Penny never included the 3 free games which is where my mom got it and was bummed.

We mainly rented games but no rental stores had saturn games in town and blockbuster was too far. So I really only had the games I got that Xmas and the small handful I got in 97 until I was an adult with a job and hunted some of the classics I didn't have.

I did know a few kids with a Saturn (and I borrowed from them) but N64 absolutely dominated my school.

NeonDelta

Sep 29, 2020
I don't think I have. Of all the consoles since master system/nes gen, the Saturn and the WiiU are the only ones I've not played on

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
I have briefly played Sonic R via the Gems Collection, and I think that's it for me to technically be able to vote "via ports/emulation".

JobenNC

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I've got a Saturn in the house right now! It was my wife's only video game console when she was a kid. Nights, Daytona USA, and Virtua Fighter 2 have gotten the most play time. There's a ton of other stuff I'd like to try though. I really need to bite the bullet and grab an optical drive emulator for it soon.

Turom

Apr 14, 2021
France
SEGA Saturn is my favorite retro console!

Here's my collection :
kPMglKG.jpg

09zpVTP.jpg

I also have those two Sanwa modded HSS-0136 sticks, I always play with those, they're the best!
b4JeJis.jpg

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Only joined in much later, when I had a period of "let's buy older systems to ramp up the collection of systems and games". Was a big SEGA fan overall, especially due to the Dreamcast (also had a Mega Drive and Mega CD back then), but the Saturn, as mentioned, was bought much later. Didn't play much with it tbh, got some games when a local shop in my little town closed and bought some from Ebay. I remember I got a decent condition Panzer Dragoon Saga PAL version from the local store, was about 20 or 30 bucks or so, can't remember really.

Chrysoberyl

Feb 24, 2024
I adore Night: Into Dreams. It would be cool to play it with the controller it shipped with one day. I'm still struggling my way through Astal, Panzer Dragoon, and Dragon Force, LOL.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Yep. Bought one shortly after I bought the PS1 at launch. Fantastic system. The import scene was incredible. It's a crime the NA market didn't reach potential.

It's packed away right now, but I still have my 30ish games in perfect condition, except for my copy of Scud, which has no case. Man, every time someone brings it up, I want to pull it out and hook it up for a few hours.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
The Saturn is the only Sega system I never owned.

As of today, after trading my sealed Titanfall Collector's Edition Statue for store credit, I officially have one. Pic is of some things I used my credit on. Really excited to pick up games. I currently have the one in the picture, lol.

Where should I start? What are the best games that don't cost an arm and a leg?

PXL-20240305-214624145.jpg

Jul 22, 2022
I still have a little collection with Sega's finest but sadly I donĀ“t have a CRT anymore. I don't want spend money on those expensive adapters

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Played some through emulation. Only time I ever played on real hardware was a party at a martial arts school where a kid brought his Saturn with Virtua Fighter.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The Saturn is the only Sega system I never owned.

As of today, after trading my sealed Titanfall Collector's Edition Statue for store credit, I officially have one. Pic is of some things I used my credit on. Really excited to pick up games. I currently have the one in the picture, lol.

Where should I start? What are the best games that don't cost an arm and a leg?

PXL-20240305-214624145.jpg
I was going to suggest Virtua Fighter 2 and Sega Rally, but apparently even those have started to go up in price, at least for the US versions. Might not be a bad idea to get something like an Action Replay and just get the Japanese versions of games, which are WAY cheaper. Most games that we also got should have English menus, I think. Good luck!

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I think I played Panzar Dragoon and Nights at Wal-Mart a few times, does that count?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I was going to suggest Virtua Fighter 2 and Sega Rally, but apparently even those have started to go up in price, at least for the US versions. Might not be a bad idea to get something like an Action Replay and just get the Japanese versions of games, which are WAY cheaper. Most games that we also got should have English menus, I think. Good luck!

I picked up Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona, & Virtua Cop last night. I'll look for Sega Rally. Thanks!