Redo: Have you ever played a Sega Saturn game?

• No

Votes: 99 12.8%
  • Yes, I own / owned real hardware

Votes: 420 54.1%
  • Yes, I tried / borrowed real hardware

Votes: 142 18.3%
  • Yes, but only ports / emulation / clones

Votes: 115 14.8%

• Total voters

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I never owned a Saturn, but I did rent one a good amount of times over the years from a local store at the time, enough to play most of the hits anyways.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Hell yes I have! I keep it and my other consoles hooked up and ready to go whenever I feel like playing.

I didn't post my collection last time, so here it is this time!

oqMGerG.jpg

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Just a port of Sonic R, I think? And Guardian Heroes on Xbox

Would like to try Mega Man 8 since that has extra stuff and crisper sounding music but noooo, Capcom only acknowledges the PS1 version

spool

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I'm not sure what happened with my old, original Saturn, but I bought another Japanese Saturn that's still hooked up to my TV. I don't play enough on it, though, and should really get back to it. I have games still to play.

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York
I have great memories of playing Nights Into Dreams on a Saturn in Target back when it was new.

Other than, have only played Saturn games in emulation.

Oct 28, 2017
it was Capcom that sold me on getting the Saturn. Specifically the Marvel/X-Men and Alpha series. I later fell in love with Sega's first party offerings which resulted in me becoming a diehard Sega fanatic!

May 26, 2018
Yeah, four. Nights into dreams, clockwork knight, virtua fighter 2, and virtua fighter Megamix (I'll always remember this one: you could fight as a car.)

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
I had only played Virtua Fighter 2 on a Saturn Kiosk before. All of my friends and family either had a PS1 or N64. I bought a Saturn a few years ago and own VF2 along with some sports games. I'll get more some time.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yes, I bought a Saturn back in 2006 and it has slowly become one of my favorite systems ever thanks to the awesome Japanese library. We were robbed of so many great games in North America because of Sega's ineptitude at the time.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and having a sitting around doing nothing job in front of a computer in 2003 really helped build my collection from eBay when the prices weren't absurd.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Panzer Dragoon Saga was also really ahead of it's time for the tech they pulled off on the Saturn. Shame we only got the first chapter in the USA.

Oct 25, 2017
Owned a Saturn and it came with the classic pack in I'm pretty sure we all got: Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, and Virtua Cop. I became obsessed with Gungriffon and Fighters Megamix playing both a TON b/c I wasn't really gifted games much. I would play the demo discs of Nights, Clockwork Knight and Sega Rally a lot as well.

To this day I regret trading it in and wish I had kept it

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Yes, but only briefly at demo stands at stores. Of the top of my head I played snippets of Daytona USA, Clockwork Knight and some 3d beat em up, but the only thing I remember about that is that you fight a bunch of firemen.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
How was it? Did it age well?
I think so, yes. It lived up to the "very impressive for its time" moniker, this game came out within months of FF7 and the production value is mindblowing for 1998. Game isnt too long and I'm pretty sure it was cut really short but still fun regardless, interesting albeit non-challening combat system. I really liked the setting.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I owned one in 96 or something. Never bought a game for it. Had a demo disk with sega rally on it. I remember at the time that game looked so good. I loved the arcady controls too. I rented a bunch of other games for it. Panzer dragoon was probably my fav. Virtuo cop was fun af too. I eventually sold it to a junior high friend. Bought a PlayStation in 98 with bof 3 and never looked back though.

Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
My beautiful baby boy. So many completely unsung hits like Dragon Force and Shining the Holy Ark. Hell, Slayers Royale was excellent. I appreciate the Dreamcast but the Saturn is Sega's peak for me.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea the thing even existed during its lifespan and wondered as a kid why Sega stopped making games between Genesis and Dreamcast. Have never actually touched one in person, but I saw a friend had one in his collection in his apartment a few years ago, but he wouldn't let me play it (apparently it was missing a cable or something? I dunno, his apartment was a notorious mess and the cat chewed through half of his cables).

Recently I've been able to play some Saturn via the Mister FPGA, and there's some cool and bizarre stuff there, for sure! Can't wait for games like Panzer Dragoon Saga to be playable all the way through on Mister!

kidtamagotchi

Oct 27, 2017
I have never played a Sega Saturn game, and in fact, I never saw Saturn consoles or games even being sold in stores. Where were they sold, I've always wondered.

Felix1

Banned
Dec 29, 2023
I haven't played one, but I do have the console that hasn't been opened yet with several games also not opened. Any bidders ? lol /s

Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
What a wonderful game this is. Those rendered sprites 😚👌

And it's a blobber where the maze's dead ends give you rewards if you're paying close attention! Which feeds into a twitch-reflex mechanic to help you in battle! FIRE THE LEPRECHAUNS!

I haven't played one, but I do have the console that hasn't been opened yet with several games also not opened. Any bidders ? lol /s

Gonna be 100% real with you, it probably doesn't work. I went through 3 of the things. Absolute pieces of shit. Magnificent, beautiful pieces of shit.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Still have my white Japanese model w/ matching standard and analog controllers. The more I think about it, the more it climbs the ranks as one of my all-time favorite consoles. If you had access to and the ability to play the Japan-only/4MB stuff, it was a 2D lover's dream. Recent fan translations like the Sakura Taisen one have been amazing too.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Not old enough to have ever touched Sega hardware tbh.

Well I could have touched a Dreamcast but no one had those. Didn't even know it existed as a kid growing up in the N64/PS1 days.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
My family had a Saturn on launch week, I have extremely fond memories of playing Bug and Clockwork knight with my dad back then.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
But Sega Saturn was a direct competitor to PS1?

I think how old one was and where one lived dictated a lot about about whether or not the Saturn was on your radar. I was in elementary school in Central Texas during the course of that console generation, and everyone I knew had an N64, almost no one had a Playstation (only saw it in magazines and when my older cousin's friend brought his over to my cousin's house with a copy of Twisted Metal 3), and I had never even heard of the Saturn before. The Dreamcast seemed to be a big deal for a hot second, though.

I think the people most likely to play Saturn back then were people who were already super bought into the Genesis (which, from my experience, wasn't very popular in Central Texas compared to the SNES) and people who were really into Japanese import games (which only really applies to people with access to magazine mail-order and/or local import stores, which sure as hell didn't apply to me or anyone I ever knew).

Don't remember seeing any sort of ads for Saturn or any Saturn games on store shelves, either.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I might have played a Saturn game at a friend's or store kiosk but I can't be sure. I have played ports, though a lot of those were also PS1 games technically.

Oct 26, 2017
Never owned a Saturn but pretty much half my friends growing up owned one cause we were all heavily into fighting games. Back in the day Saturn was pretty much the only choice given how insanely borked fighting games were on PS and N64 had jack all. Like Jesus I still remember the absolute slide show of Xmen Vs Street fighter on PS1 LOL kids these days have no damn idea how good they have it

In Amber Clad

behind a perfect mask
Aug 26, 2018
London
It was my main console at the time. Still have my console (actually, I have two!) and all my games, and I spent a few hours playing some of the games on the weekend - but on a Polymega this time.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think how old one was and where one lived dictated a lot about about whether or not the Saturn was on your radar. I was in elementary school in Central Texas during the course of that console generation, and everyone I knew had an N64, almost no one had a Playstation (only saw it in magazines and when my older cousin's friend brought his over to my cousin's house with a copy of Twisted Metal 3), and I had never even heard of the Saturn before. The Dreamcast seemed to be a big deal for a hot second, though.

I think the people most likely to play Saturn back then were people who were already super bought into the Genesis (which, from my experience, wasn't very popular in Central Texas compared to the SNES) and people who were really into Japanese import games (which only really applies to people with access to magazine mail-order and/or local import stores, which sure as hell didn't apply to me or anyone I ever knew).

Don't remember seeing any sort of ads for Saturn or any Saturn games on store shelves, either.

when i was growing up, i lived in a city in eastern Kentucky of less than 20k people and knew several people other than myself with a Saturn. the PS1 seemed to be vastly more popular than the N64, which was more popular than the Saturn.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Owned a Saturn since high school around 2000, but it only came with Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona.

Got a Fenrir Duo more recently. So cool.

My goal is to collect 10 Saturn controllers (I've already got 4) and a second Multitap for 10 player Saturn Bomberman.

Oct 28, 2017
I have a Saturn with one game: Dragon Force.

I don't know how to hook it up to my modern TV without it looking terrible or having to pay for an expensive upscaling device so I emulate on my ShieldTV to play Dragon Force instead.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Yup, I bought a used Saturn for $40 back in 2010 and have a handful of games. One of my prized games is a factory sealed copy of Working Design's Magic Knight Rayearth.