Votes: 88 9.5%
  • Waluigi Time

Votes: 194 20.9%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And fans of RPGs know who Geno is.

"Fan of fighting games" is still a niche group of people. Only Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat have characters with mainstream appeal.

There's a difference between a marquee character from an active franchise that's kind of niche, and a character who has literally not appeared in anything except for his original appearance and a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo in a game that came out seventeen years ago.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big Geno stan and vehemently deny the "meme" argument, I think it's dismissive of the idea that this character can be pulled for by a swath of fans, but I've come around to the idea that part of the appeal of Geno was the underdog factor. He is too small to be in Smash, but that he had this big groundswell of support that reached even Sakurai, that feels great to cheer for a character like that.

It's like Banjo in Fighter Pass 1. Steve was this goliath that a never ever boomer game from 20 years ago could never topple and... well actually it turns out Nintendo also wanted Steve and Banjo just kind of tagged along, but it sure was nice to see Banjo again anyway.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I hope you're right so that Cuphead makes it into the game under these circumstances.

I have no idea what a Geno is, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Never give up the dream. Super Mario RPG is what brought me to jrpgs when I discovered Culex and went on a deep dive on Final Fantasy. Geno was a mainstay in my party.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
If Sakurai asked me what Super Mario RPG rep I'd want in Smash.

I'd pick Bowser again.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And fans of RPGs know who Geno is.

"Fan of fighting games" is still a niche group of people. Only Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat have characters with mainstream appeal.

Nah this is insane. The characters aren't even in the same galaxy in terms of relevance and popularity, you don't know what you're talking about.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Who hasn't been used in over two decades and only "gamers" know who he is.

Dude isn't exactly Bowser.

He was very prominent for his time (and continued to appear outside of the DKC series for years until Retro decided to dump the Kremlings entirely), and his recurring appearances across multiple games generated a wealth of content through which the Smash team could build inspiration for a moveset.

By comparison, Geno appeared once, in a minor role. And then a 5-second NPC cameo in a GBA game. Like of the two, K.Rool made a TON more sense.

I just don't see Nintendo going out of their way to negotiate with Square for such a minor character with so little to pull from.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Geno represents everything good about Super Mario RPG. <3
He would be a breath of fresh air, especially after all the sword-wielders we've received in the last few years. =p

OP
OP
Tbone5189

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Can you walk me through the logic of "this unrelated unexpected event makes this other unexpected event more likely?"

that literally makes no sense. He's a DLC mii costume already and None of the returning smash 4 miis got upgraded so far. Geno is not in this pass. It's over

Because once again, the fandom is making up the rules to what goes/doesn't go in terms of who is getting in. Minmin was the latest examples of "reconfirmed" because she was already a spirit. It's the same for Mii costumes. But now it's for the same game.

Nov 18, 2017
hahaha Hope dies last OP, hope dies last.

Geno as the last fighter ever added to smash bros would be beautiful, I give it the same odds as Mother 3 resurfacing.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
did super Mario RPG even sell as much as DKC3?
s2Vu2kw.jpg

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
K. Rool was in the base game, was in way more games than Geno, but more importantly is owned by Nintendo. The threshold for getting him in the game is much easier than working out rights with Square.

So, again, there are valid arguments against Geno.

It's far more likely that Geno doesn't appear.

But "rights"" doesn't matter. They got Sephiroth. Banjo. Terry. Joker. If Nintendo wants the character, they'll get the character. (Unless it's Sora.)

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Sakurai just reveal a Geno Mii costume for Smash ultimate? That's all the Geno we're getting.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
did super Mario RPG even sell as much as DKC3?

No, the entire DKC trilogy is in the top ten best selling SNES games. DKC3 sold 3 million, SMRPG sold 2 million.

Part of that is due to SMRPG not coming out in Europe. But K. Rool has been the main villain of a group of games that has cumulatively sold more than the entire Metroid and Star Fox series combined. (Note: this is JUST the games K. Rool has appeared in, it doesn't even cover the whole DK series.) Yet K. Rool is out of place whereas Ridley and Wolf are fine, lol.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Because once again, the fandom is making up the rules to what goes/doesn't go in terms of who is getting in. Minmin was the latest examples of "reconfirmed" because she was already a spirit. It's the same for Mii costumes. But now it's for the same game.

nobody is making up rules so I dont know what you are talking about.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
"there are no rules" is the new fandom rule, and has thereby cancelled itself out

what a way to go

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why it's so hard for y'all to accept that a bunch of people got really attached to a cult character from a good game.

We've got a Star Wars show that exists because people got hella into Boba Fett, a man who literally does nothing right in his 10 minutes of screen time.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just speaking as a person from Europe here.

We didn't even get Super Mario RPG over here until 2008 with the Wii Virtual Console releases. Geno's Debut over here was a blink and you miss it cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (A cameo which didn't even come back when they remade the game for 3DS)

And if we are talking about "Mario RPG characters that played a key role in those games but aren't really relevant now." I'll take Fawful in a heartbeat any day over Geno.

Fawful.png

And I feel both would still not get in over Paper Mario first.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
smh at all this Terry hate when he was the only one in fighter pass 1 that had any business being in there

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
nobody is making up rules so I dont know what you are talking about.

But they are. "He's a Mii outfit" is making up a rule. They brought back the K. Rool Mii outfit when they made him a fighter.

And if you mention this, it becomes, "Well, they did that because he's a fighter now!" But now you're changing the "rule" to be even more specific.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

They aren't "rules." They're things people intuit from what they've seen. From a production standpoint, when have they ever sold a Mii Costume and a character in the same production cycle? (As in, the same cycle of DLC.) You could say they haven't done it yet and there's nothing to stop them. So why does this apply to Geno, specifically? Do you think Travis Touchdown or Heihachi can still be a fighter this season?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People bringing up Ridley, K Rool, Banjo, and Terry to Geno don't seem to understand what mode the former's merits. Ridley is a recurring antagonist in a tentpole Nintendo franchise that only just got in because Sakurai finally figured out how to make him work as a fighter, K Rool was also a recurring antagonist though he stopped being used in more recent games, Banjo Kazooie were massive titles back in the N64 era. That's not getting into how all these characters were much more popular and more requested than Geno ever was.

Then there's Terry who yeah on his own isn't the biggest character but is the most prolific and popular character from SNK's lineup that even before Smash were putting him in everything. Nintendo wanted an SNK character and Terry Bogard is their main boy. It's basically a pecking order. Which goes into why Cloud, Hero, and Sephiroth all got in before Geno. He's just much lower on the totem of characters they could get from Square and even in the future there's probably still other characters Nintendo would likely be interested in choosing like more FF characters, 2B, and Lara Croft.

If he ever happens then a lot of stars are either gonna need to align or Nintendo would finally be scraping the bottom of the barrel after getting most notable characters in Smash

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to play a proper Geno in Smash play the Legacy XP Brawl mod. He's really well done in that (as are the other new characters), and a Mii costume is the most he's ever going to get in an official capacity.