• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Nintendo sends him TWO chairs, just to make the salty posters in this thread even saltier.

Seriously. Its so ridiculous. Some people are completely without joy and insist on trying to share their misery. Been a lot of that lately. People were doing the same thing in the thread where people were happy a movie they liked did well "Oh sure, let's all celebrate the big companies making billions on movies! Herpaderpderp!"

You've equated buying a product with donating money to the rich. Strange analogy.

As far as I can tell no fans bought their ""idol"" anything here. Nintendo decided to buy him one after people signed a free petition.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't call an Aeron luxury unless it is the Eames edition.
Have you see the price? It's definitely high end. It's not Louis Vuitton obv.

That said I don't care. Fans gonna fan. Don't blame Reggie for accepting a gift.

It's also free marketing for Herman Miller.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to all the tireless fans who worked so hard, and were finally able to get a millionaire to be given a $500 chair.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the dozens of signed and personalized mementos, paintings, statues, gift, awards, achievements, plaques (that we know of!) accomplished the "farewell gift" duty well enough, as well as being priceless, infinitely more personal tokens hand made from the hands of his closest colleagues.

This is a chair (he can afford) and buy anytime, anywhere on a whim.

It's a nice gesture and all on it's own, but indirectly leaves a sour taste for many scourned in a world of a hilariously vast division of wealth to see a (deservedly so) rich man get a free luxury chair. At least that's what I think many like myself and others reacting negatively are responding to.
Exactly. He can buy 100 of his own luxury chairs but all the money in the world can't buy him, say, a drawing of a Retro Studios character designer with signatures from the entire team. (He also can't buy the internet storm he brewed over teasing us with that picture while blocking the view from the new character in it). That's a good gesture, not a chair anyone can buy for themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
"Instead of buying that McDouble and making a billion-dollar corporation even richer, you could have donated that money to sick children! How could you!"

My eyes have rolled so far back into my head, they're stuck now.
Buying cheap food for sustenance equated to a millionaire getting a luxury item for free. Here, let my stuck eyes join yours.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Thank god that multi-millionaire was finally gifted a free luxury item.
By that logic then people who make over a certain amount shouldn't be gifted anything? No gifts on birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, etc...just because well, they could buy it themselves? The man worked hard for what he has and he stayed humbled throughout as well. Sure he could just buy one of these, but the best kind of gifts aren't necessarily just about the item but the thought behind it. Let the man feel loved.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
By that logic then people who make over a certain amount shouldn't be gifted anything? No gifts on birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, etc...just because well, they could buy it themselves? The man worked hard for what he has and he stayed humbled throughout as well. Sure he could just buy one of these, but the best kind of gifts aren't necessarily just about the item but the thought behind it. Let the man feel loved.
Besides. It's a damn office chair that would be in some warehouse if never ordered. It's a cheap advertisement from Herman Miller's POV. Reggie didn't ask for it. It was a gift.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's just... Man... Lot of big hearts involved in making this happen, just, it really takes a lot, you know, to do this much good in the world.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Is the concept of "gifts" totally lost on people here? Seriously. If a friend of yours buys you a gift, or your work gives you a leaving gift, or a guest brings a bottle of wine to your party, I hope you smash it on the floor in disgust and shout "I could have afforded this myself! How dare you buy me a [insert item that isn't needed for basic human survival] !"

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are crazy. Only the company Herman Miller spent on this, plus it probably worked as an advertisement of sorts. Nobody lost here lol

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Instead of buying that McDouble and making a billion-dollar corporation even richer, you could have donated that money to sick children! How could you!"

My eyes have rolled so far back into my head, they're stuck now.
My eyes rolled back further at this being one of the worst analogies I've ever read. I don't buy a McDouble to satisfy some random rich guy I've never met, I buy it because food is kinda considered an essential good.

This is a nice gesture and all, but it's a pretty shitty comparison equating FOOD with donating to some guy I've never met in my life.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
He's retired, should get one of these

houston-reclining-armchair-p43091-37079_zoom.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, it's generally your family and friends who give you presents on your birthday, not corporations or people who you don't even know.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's more symbolic than anything, can't people just be happy for once?

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading some of these posts, you'd think that chair denied an entire country of food. All those starving children will remain starving because of that blasted chair! Damn you!

Seriously though, y'all are miserable.

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Cop them at goodwill for about $100

truly hope that when I retire in 200 years I'm not like 'man, i need to get an office chair'

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The salt party over a man getting a free chair is still funny to me lmao.
I don't see salt though, just reasonable people who are not overly attached to a corporation for weird reasons.
Man, Nintendo fans can get reaaaally weird at times, this is one of them. You know what would be a great farewell gift? Something unique that the person will remember, like a handmade figure of a character, a video for said person or maybe a poster containing fanart (not lewd shit), not a freaking chair.
A friend of mine made a Bloodborne figure and gave it to Yoshida as a gift, now that's a fucking good gift for someone you admire.

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is what you show people who think Era is super liberal.
Strawmanning people left and right to defend giving things to a millionaire.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Aeron chair is probably the best thing I have bought in the last 10 years, so I say that's an amazing gift even though he could have easily bought one himself.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Cool, I guess. Not a lot of ways for fans to show direct appreciation. Obviously he is a man of means and could have bought a few thousand of these chairs if he wanted to. But it's nice that people were happy with him and for him.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't see salt though, just reasonable people who are not overly attached to a corporation for weird reasons.
Man, Nintendo fans can get reaaaally weird at times, this is one of them. You know what would be a great farewell gift? Something unique that the person will remember, like a handmade figure of a character, a video for said person or maybe a poster containing fanart (not lewd shit), not a freaking chair.
A friend of mine made a Bloodborne figure and gave it to Yoshida as a gift, now that's a fucking good gift for someone you admire.
That figure would be considered a "free luxury item", and would cause just as much salt as the chair has. A lot of the anger in the thread is directed at wealthy people recieving any kind of "free, luxury" gift.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I was way more interested in this when I thought the result of the petition was that he got HIS chair that he spent 10 years in. I'm not as enamoured with the actual end result.