Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Why is the thread title so dramatic?

I never played QB so maybe that's why Control stood out more to me than it seemed to for other people coming out of E3. Third person action games are what Remedy does, it's not surprising it looks similar to their previous game.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is been pointed out regularly since it was first shown. People were even joking that it was a second chance that Quantum break.

Frankly I'm fine with that, that game didn't really appeal to me even though the gameplay looked fun, but this one looks fantastic. I think a lot of it has to do with the presentation of the ideas for me personally; there's naturally going to be some similarities when you have the same creative team making a very slick-looking third-person game with some more abstract or alien components to the gameplay thrown in, but in terms of the actual content and what it's about this isn't similar at all.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Alarming? Nah. Recognisable, sure.
It was obvious once the trailer aired it was a Remedy game.

But I play on PS4 so the aesthetic is new to me and looks great with some real nice effects.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I´m not alarmed.

Dark Souls 3 looks a lot like 2.

Forza 7 looks a lot like 6.

Destiny 2 looks a lot like 1.

Uncharted 3 looks a lot like 2.

I find that very normal. Same developer, same tools, a lot of same assets. That´s just how it is.

While I agree that this is not worrying, your comparisons make no sense. Those are literally all sequels in franchises (so of course they look similar). This is a new IP.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Remedy said that the game came to be from the ideas that Sam Lake had during development of QB, but it didn't fit into that game, so there's a bit of overlap. Alarming? lol no

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By all it means it looks like a spiritual sequel. Not sure if it's such a good idea. Quantum Break simply failed to gain much interest despite being a good game, and while a lot was probably down to the fact it was an Xbox One exclusive, I don't see this game suddenly selling 10 times as much or something either. I wish them the best of luck, and I'll definitely play it myself, though probably not on day one.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we alarmed with this?
Like we were alarmed when Dark Souls looked like Demon Souls?

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
- same actress
- same engine
- similar power set

Looking forward to it as i loveddd quantum break (especially the combat ) , more of that will be amazing .
I just hope they do some of the awesome time like effects as well like the trains crashing through walls and pausing , soldiers dying mid air etc

Prefer time powers to these witch like powers but whatever .

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Quantum Break for me was super underwhelming. It's literally the only reason I wasn't into Control's first trailer. It just super similar.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think stylistically it looks very similar, but that is mostly because of the environment that we saw, which is essentially modern office architecture and it's aiming for photorealism.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
May I suggest "strikingly," considering the point you're making.

And I love what I've seen of Control so far. One of the games of the show for me.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Nintendo at it again...

Control looks great to me, if Remedy can knock out something of similar quality to QB without breaking the bank then that deserves praise rather than scorn for me.

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
It's like Remedy took Quantum Break and said "what if..."

I don't mind tho game looks hella rad.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never played that but not really interested in anything but Alan Wake from them really.
Max Payne 1 and 2 were fantastic too.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you watch the video, the Remedy people specifically state that Sam Lake wanted to use ideas the team came up with during the development of Quantum Break but didn't quite fit into that game. I don't think they're trying to keep it a secret, exactly.

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
I like that they're seemingly scrapping outdoor areas this time. All I need is more of that brutalist office complex and I'm happy.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is completely different and looks fun. the concept is different. the story is different.

artstyle is the only thing thats the same and the third person perspective. it looks like a spinoff which is fine by me. Gameplay is whats important.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I am indeed quite alarmed that this game looks like a Remedy title. Put my alarm somewhere between my alarm at the constant threat of nuclear holocaust, and waking up 20 minutes late for work at the low end and the current state of US politics.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
As long as it doesn't have the awful story and the aggressively boring live action EPISODES that were long as hell, I am cool with it

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God damn Remedy loves taking my ideas for games and doing it before I can get rich and buy my own studio

Assholes

Oct 25, 2017
I mean visually is does look similar to Quantum break but QB looked good. And structurally they sound very different. And more than anything else you look at how the character moves and position of the camera and I go yep that's a Remedy game.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The art style (especially the colour palette) made me go, "Is this a sequel to QB" during launch trailer. It would be interesting if Remedey later came out and said it's based in the same universe and consequently wanted to keep the aesthetic uniform.

Oct 25, 2017
And from the setup it sounds like you're basically a goverment Sorcerer Supreme and your Sanctum is going wild, which is fantastic.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
They even use the Beth actress. Haha.

maxresdefault.jpg
latest

Courtney Hope is fantastic. Glad they stuck with her and made her the main protagonist for this game.

They still need to make a Quantum Break 2, so we can actually save Beth. :'(

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So playstation fans get to play a great game and fans of QB like myself get a better performing sequel on the one x (i played the original on the xbox one s). It's a win win!

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
It may look the same, but the premise of the game sounds very different, especially as you can unlock new areas with new abilities like a Metroidvania. I think it'll be different enough from Quantum Break.

I´m not alarmed.
Dark Souls 3 looks a lot like 2.
Forza 7 looks a lot like 6.
Destiny 2 looks a lot like 1.
Uncharted 3 looks a lot like 2.
I find that very normal. Same developer, same tools, a lot of same assets. That´s just how it is.

I agree with you somewhat, but those are all sequels. This is a new IP.