Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
qEmRHAk.jpg

2673872-2351188_clayface5.jpg

Of course she wins in the end, but they have a rematch where he still proves to be a hard fight for her
3e982c715ee0791dc29c8edd60134795.jpg

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
How does one outrun death itself? By running to the end of existence itself where the very concept of death no longer exists:

photo-1-15720662833781226732795.jpg

Not the wildest bit of Wally West fuckery, but it's my favorite.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
That Thanos loses, even while wielding the Infinity Gauntlet and can warp reality to his whims, because on some level he feels like he should and subconsciously allows it to happen. Or something like that, I'm trying to remember a synopsis I read years ago.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How does one outrun death itself? By running to the end of existence itself where the very concept of death no longer exists:

photo-1-15720662833781226732795.jpg

Not the wildest bit of Wally West fuckery, but it's my favorite.
Remember when Batman strapped Barry to the hood of his car and drove it into the speed force?
swHUAF3.jpg

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing Green Lantern fans should not bother posting in this thread at all.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure I understand, is Wonder Woman canonically made out of clay?

Her old origin from the 40s until the New52 comic line started in the beginning of this decade was that she was made from clay by her mother Hyppolita and given life by the gods (and even in the new52 that origin still existed as a lie that was made to hide her true origin). It was an unique origin, but I never cared for it because it often seemed to result in moments like the ones above, where rather than treating it as a parallel to the creation of humanity itself, it several times seemed to go in the direction of "she's a golem!".

Rebirth retconed again back to clay
Nope, it retconned most of her new Amazon-related backstory, so you'd think that would go too, but it was never actually allowed to touch on that.

Lelex

Aug 12, 2019
In Diana's current origin, the clay aspect has been retconned.

Unless it's been retconned again after the (great) New 52 Azarello book, she is now officially a daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta.

edit: bunch of people already said the same. I didn't know the clay thing was back, going to google it.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Her old origin from the 40s until the New52 comic line started in the beginning of this decade was that she was made from clay and given life by the gods (and even in the new52 that origin still existed as a lie that was made to hide her true origin). It was an unique origin, but I never cared for it because often seemed to result in moments like the ones above, where rather than treating it as a parallel to the creation of humanity itself, it often seemed to go in the direction of "she's a golem!".

Nope, it retconned most of her new Amazon-related backstory, so you'd think that would go too, but it was never actually allowed to touch on that.
I thought they said new 52 was a lie by the bad guys i thought that would include clay

But i guess the public is now used to demigod wonder woman

But yeah she's not an actual golem

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I understand, is Wonder Woman canonically made out of clay?
depends on the version. I believe the main continuity Wonder Woman is, but then there's like Earth One Wonder Woman where Hercules raped Hippolyta and she was like "fuck you, no sons for you. You're having a girl" then led the rebellion to beat his ass.
holding infinity or a black hole too
Helped hold an infinite page book

Jun 3, 2018
I knew Clayface from Batman: The Animated Series and was going to chime in that he isn't actually made from Clay, but according to Wikipedia there have been at least 8 different Characters named Clayface in the Comics, all with different origins even, so who even knows.

The origin i knew is where he got his powers from overdosing on a highly addictive face cream. Which is also how the villainess of the Catwoman movie got her powers.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I knew Clayface from Batman: The Animated Series and was going to chime in that he isn't actually made from Clay, but according to Wikipedia there have been at least 8 different Characters named Clayface in the Comics, all with different origins even, so who even knows.

The origin i knew is where he got his powers from a highly addictive face cream.
Mud Pack
Clayfaces.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

What is this from?

It's a one-shot that tells the origin of the "Red Death" Batman from Dark Knights: Metal. This is not the canon Batman, it's one from the the Dark Multiverse. Everything is (even more) depressing and doomed to die. Each Batman recruited from this multiverse took the powers of a member of the League (or one of their enemies). In this case, he took Flash's powers by driving the Batmobile towards the Speed Force. Barry is trapped inside his mind, while Batman controls the body.

Fun stuff.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Radioactive Man and Solarr took on Superman on JLA Avengers and pretty much won.
Yeah they were fed info by Luthor, and Supes won when Vision gave his remaining power to him, but that sure is a high feat for a couple of nobodies.

Avengers_JLA_V_1.jpg

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I thought they said new 52 was a lie by the bad guys i thought that would include clay

But i guess the public is now used to demigod wonder woman

Yeah, Rucka's run just didn't touch on Diana's clay/Zeus origin one way or another, but a couple of months after Rucka left the story heavily focused on the Zeus origin again (Robinson's run which had to follow up the dumb Grail plot from Geoff Johns's Justice League).

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a one-shot that tells the origin of the "Red Death" Batman from Dark Knights: Metal. This is not the canon Batman, it's one from the the Dark Multiverse. Everything is (even more) depressing and doomed to die. Each Batman recruited from this multiverse took the powers of a member of the League (or one of their enemies). In this case, he took Flash's powers by driving the Batmobile towards the Speed Force. Barry is trapped inside his mind, while Batman controls the body.

Fun stuff.

Of all the Bat Metal Batmen, he was definitely the most metal that's for sure.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really remember most of it bc it's all secondhand, but I recall Red Hulk did some wacky stuff back in the day

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I still don't understand the years where they tried to make it seem like Batman was thought of as an urban legend. Like that works if you're starting a universe, or maybe at the start of his career, but when he's on the Justice League, has brightly colored partners, etc. I just didn't get it.

Also never understood the relative powers of the New Gods compared to Earth's superheroes.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Rucka's run just didn't touch on Diana's clay/Zeus origin one way or another, but a couple of months after Rucka left the story heavily focused on the Zeus origin again (Robinson's run which had to follow up the dumb Grail plot from Geoff Johns's Justice League).
should we not mention her heretofore unmentioned twin brother?

let's not and say we didn't

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Rock of Ages, Atom realizing Darkseid can see so one thing must get thru his forcefield: light. Ray then hitches a ride on a green arrow, hops onto a photon and dives into Darkseid's pupil.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
There was a pretty cool (I thought) incidence of this with The Ventriloquist somewhat recently, where because of his psychosis he was immune to mind control, and since only Batman seemed to realize this, he was a great double agent.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I loved when Squirrel Girl won the day using binary to command her army of squirrels in her dreams...
128ef07d0d027b96d6b32e3e28cda20b--comic-book-pages-comic-books.jpg

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What happened to her being the daughter of Zeus?
Nothing, it's still canon. Rebirth revealed that Diana's memories of the cruel New52 Amazons and even the island itself were false, so people assumed that the Zeus origin would go too, but the actual Rebirth arc didn't touch on her birth and the next run confirmed that she was still Zeus' daughter.

Also never understood the relative powers of the New Gods compared to Earth's superheroes.

Crisis and their relative lack of popularity outside of Darkseid is the main problem here. Pre-Crisis, it was said that the average New God warrior was about as strong as Superman, a nobody like "Magnar" could compete with him. Afterwards though, most writers only make Darkseid a real threat and in some cases even Darkseid is treated as just Superman-level.

Some other writers in order to fix that introduced the concept of "avatars", where the New Gods who appear most of the time are just emanations of the real ones (often unaware of that fact), but this gets very inconsistent since only some writers even acknowledge this idea.

Last edited:

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
I love when powers are used in interesting ways in battles. It's one of the things that is lacking in superhero fights these days. Early Claremont X-Men was full of shit like this.

As for the Wonder Woman example, how does Diana being made of clay actually help Clayface? Because she isn't made of clay anymore, and as far as I know, Clayface doesn't absorb or gain more power from clay, does he? Like, it'd be dope if his body touching hers began to revert her back into clay, which he could then control, but that doesn't seem to be what's happening. Is it just, she was clay, he is (sort of ) clay, so he does super-effective damage like Ghost types on Ghost types in Pokemon? Because that's not really that great.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I love when powers are used in interesting ways in battles. It's one of the things that is lacking in superhero fights these days. Early Claremont X-Men was full of shit like this.

As for the Wonder Woman example, how does Diana being made of clay actually help Clayface? Because she isn't made of clay anymore, and as far as I know, Clayface doesn't absorb or gain more power from clay, does he? Like, it'd be dope if his body touching hers began to revert her back into clay, which he could then control, but that doesn't seem to be what's happening. Is it just, she was clay, he is (sort of ) clay, so he does super-effective damage like Ghost types on Ghost types in Pokemon? Because that's not really that great.
She's also not made of clay she was made with clay She's basically human or demigod

This is dumb

But comics

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
That Thanos loses, even while wielding the Infinity Gauntlet and can warp reality to his whims, because on some level he feels like he should and subconsciously allows it to happen. Or something like that, I'm trying to remember a synopsis I read years ago.
Not going to lie, I've always really liked this. I enjoy introspective villain shit like this.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
They should just make a villain called retcon who changes people's past to make them easy to defeat.