CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
They should just make a villain called retcon who changes people's past to make them easy to defeat.

This is actually genius. There have been stories of people from the real world going into the comic world, but why not also make it an unflattering look at toxic fandom? Think of what a sociopathic Lex Luther type from the real world who read comics as a kid and is suddenly dropped into DC or Marvel could do? I envision a miniseries where he ruthlessly builds power and takes down heroes one by one to rule the world.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I love when powers are used in interesting ways in battles. It's one of the things that is lacking in superhero fights these days. Early Claremont X-Men was full of shit like this.

As for the Wonder Woman example, how does Diana being made of clay actually help Clayface? Because she isn't made of clay anymore, and as far as I know, Clayface doesn't absorb or gain more power from clay, does he? Like, it'd be dope if his body touching hers began to revert her back into clay, which he could then control, but that doesn't seem to be what's happening. Is it just, she was clay, he is (sort of ) clay, so he does super-effective damage like Ghost types on Ghost types in Pokemon? Because that's not really that great.
I think during that time the concept was that Diana while being a demigod was so via persistent magic and if you fuck with that magic (positively or negatively) her golem aspects come to the forefront.

Now how Clayface, who isn't magic can do that... I can't tell you. But yeah.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think during that time the concept was that Diana while being a demigod was so via persistent magic and if you fuck with that magic (positively or negatively) her golem aspects come to the forefront.

Now how Clayface, who isn't magic can do that... I can't tell you. But yeah.

The clayforce from the clay dimension.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
That Thanos loses, even while wielding the Infinity Gauntlet and can warp reality to his whims, because on some level he feels like he should and subconsciously allows it to happen. Or something like that, I'm trying to remember a synopsis I read years ago.

Doom has a similar fate in the first Secret Wars. Successfully kills all of the heroes with the Beyonder's power. But Klaw tells him a bullshit what if story of how they could technically survive and come back. Just considering the suggestion makes it happen and Thor's hammer comes busting through the wall.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Doom has a similar fate in the first Secret Wars. Successfully kills all of the heroes with the Beyonder's power. But Klaw tells him a bullshit what if story of how they could technically survive and come back. Just considering the suggestion makes it happen and Thor's hammer comes busting through the wall.
Klaw was also possessed Beyonder so he knew how his powers work

He sabotages Doom

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Crisis and their relative lack of popularity outside of Darkseid is the main problem here. Pre-Crisis, it was said that the average New God warrior was about as strong as Superman, a nobody like "Magnar" could compete with him. Afterwards though, most writers only make Darkseid a real threat and in some cases even Darkseid is treated as just Superman-level.

Shouldn't they be, like, much stronger than Superman? I think it was Peter David's (excellent) Supergirl that introduced the comic book theory that the Boom Tube actually shrunk the New Gods when they went to Earth, otherwise they'd be gigantic compared to humans.

But it's a problem with different writers and their interpretations of how powers work, especially overpowered characters. I'm not even sure they had a guide until they published stuff like the Marvel Handbook. And even after that, sometimes, say, Silver Surfer can do anything he can imagine and sometimes he's a chump.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't they be, like, much stronger than Superman? I think it was Peter David's (excellent) Supergirl that introduced the comic book theory that the Boom Tube actually shrunk the New Gods when they went to Earth, otherwise they'd be gigantic compared to humans.
Crisis and their relative lack of popularity outside of Darkseid is the main problem here. Pre-Crisis, it was said that the average New God warrior was about as strong as Superman, a nobody like "Magnar" could compete with him. Afterwards though, most writers only make Darkseid a real threat and in some cases even Darkseid is treated as just Superman-level
They were supposed to be actual Gods so Superman shouldn't be able to fight them easily but people like using Darkseid so he can go from being able from bitchslapping the justice league to getting his ass kicked by Superman depending on the book

Grant Morrison went fuck it and retcons that the never fought the Real Darkseid just fragments so the real new gods are actual gods but their fragments can get their ass kicked by Superman

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Holding 2 universes apart
4099367-1.jpg

Bah, Spectre did this in the 1960s!
19.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

This happened to other all powerful beings too. Like Korvac.

Speaking of power levels, Gladiator (from the Shiar Imperial Guard) went from being a Superboy/Superman analog and had his powers defined as his power level is almost limitless but he's only as powerful as his confidence level. I think Byrne introduced this in his FF run.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is for western comics but JoJo is the king of this. Part 6 especially has some wildness in that regard. "I looked at the reflection of the daggers" or
DyWh5QrUwAI2ztS.jpg

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
This happened to other all powerful beings too. Like Korvac.

Speaking of power levels, Gladiator (from the Shiar Imperial Guard) went from being a Superboy/Superman analog and had his powers defined as his power level is almost limitless but he's only as powerful as his confidence level. I think Byrne introduced this in his FF run.

Basically Byrne fan-fictioning his ideas about Superman's powers being psionic in nature before he actually revamped Superman.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Not going to lie, I've always really liked this. I enjoy introspective villain shit like this.
I would like it a lot more if comics usually didn't just drop this in a line of dialogue instead of actually building the character from an idea like that.

But I guess that can be hard when a lot of times comics can be one writer just trying to one up the previous or fix their mess.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

As far as how strong they're were originally supposed to be, like I said, Pre-Crisis in a story written by Jack Kirby himself, Superman shrugs off the attacks of some teens (who attack him thinking he was one of Darkseid's minions) but struggles against Magnar. This is kind of notable because Superman at this point was supposed to be completely invulnerable outside of his weaknesses and "Magnar" is a complete nobody, just a random guard protecting town.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
As far as how strong they're were originally supposed to be, like I said, Pre-Crisis in a story written by Jack Kirby himself, Superman shrugs off the attacks of some teens (who attack him thinking he was one of Darkseid's minions) but struggles against Magnar. This is kind of notable because Superman at this point was supposed to be completely invulnerable outside of his weaknesses and "Magnar" is a complete nobody, just a random guard protecting town.
Superman now would just give him the backhand

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Bah, Spectre did this in the 1960s!
19.jpg
He hit the Spectre so hard, in space, that he drove his legs into his body? At first I thought it was some weird perspective the artist was trying out.

I mean, it's his spirit form, and his form is apparently strong enough to hold earths apart, so that dude must be like super super strong, but he somehow beats him to Earth between panels. Though I do kind of miss old comics, this one page would've taken like a whole comic to tell while back in the day, the writers just filled in panel captions and thought balloons.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
He hit the Spectre so hard, in space, that he drove his legs into his body? At first I thought it was some weird perspective the artist was trying out.

I mean, it's his spirit form, and his form is apparently strong enough to hold earths apart, so that dude must be like super super strong, but he somehow beats him to Earth between panels. Though I do kind of miss old comics, this one page would've taken like a whole comic to tell while back in the day, the writers just filled in panel captions and thought balloons.

This is one of the first Silver Age stories I read, and I don't think it's good, but I love how wild they'd be in just having crazy things happen.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
You know, that actually totally fits Batman's personality. It's a legit logical conclusion of his crusade when he encounters the other members of the Justice League. Using them in order to further his own goals.
I think it's the Morrison-esque "science" that is being pointed out here, not the viability of an alternate universe Batman turning bad and killing the heroes for their powers (which is basically the subject of all the one shots, Batman kills and takes the powers of Green Lantern, Wonder Woman/Ares, etc..

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know, that actually totally fits Batman's personality. It's a legit logical conclusion of his crusade when he encounters the other members of the Justice League. Using them in order to further his own goals.
I think it's the Morrison-esque "science" that is being pointed out here, not the viability of an alternate universe Batman turning bad and killing the heroes for their powers (which is basically the subject of all the one shots, Batman kills and takes the powers of Green Lantern, Wonder Woman/Ares, etc..
Worth noting that he didn't actually kill Flash. He ended up fusing with him. Flash is still in there watching Batman do all this horrible shit with his powers and begging him not to.

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA

Well, the very existence of the Speed Force already crosses that line, but I'm thinking it would be more in line with Batman to do something like this, where he doesn't actually kill them or hurt them, he just utilizes or manipulates them to use their powers for his own gain.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Well, the very existence of the Speed Force already crosses that line, but I'm thinking it would be more in line with Batman to do something like this, where he doesn't actually kill them or hurt them, he just utilizes or manipulates them to use their powers for his own gain.

This incarnation of Batman is basically a murderer, though. It's probably just (happy?) coincidence that Barry didn't die.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
In the main continuity, Batman actually made an armor infused with the powers of the entire Justice League. It kind of kills him to use it for long though.
latest

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Which run is this? Is it the Scott Snyder run?
Nah, it's from the old Tomasi Batman and Robin, it's specifically introduced during the time Damian was dead, but the comic it continued for a while with Batman teaming up with other characters before Damian returned.

It also briefly appeared in his Superman run and his current Detective Comics run.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's from the old Tomasi Batman and Robin, it's specifically introduced during the time Damian was dead, but the comic it continued for a while with Batman teaming up with other characters before Damian returned.

It also briefly appeared in his Superman run and his current Detective Comics run.
That arc was hype. Darkseid stole Damian's body as revenge for Bats shooting him in Final Crisis.

Everyone always shows off this part:

main-qimg-008c363bdae5263eb5e72a11f58d995d-c

But they always neglect to mention that even with his fancy Iron Man armor made by Greek Gods and the Justice League, Darkseid beats the shit out of him.

batman-in-hellbat-armor-vs-darkseid-3.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Oh that's what the McFarlane Hellbat armor is based on. I just bought it because it looked cool.