• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I will never forgive Sony for closing Evolution, they have Motorstorm IP to fall on but noo they had to close them. They should have gave them one last chance with Motorstorm for PS4 :(
They gave them two chances where an independent studio would have been bankrupted by both but they let them stay open making DLC anyway.

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
They gave them two chances where an independent studio would have been bankrupted by both but they let them stay open making DLC anyway.

Its not Evolutions fault for Sony's shitty practices. Motorstorm Apocolypse failed due to Sony's whole being hacked debacle and then the Tsunami that happened in Japan (basically bad timing) the month prior in 2011.

DC was promised by Sony to be free on PS Plus fucking Evo over for server load stress tests and launch dates.

Either way heres an article from Gamesradar:

Evolution studios did nothing wrong.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Yeah, Sony did Evolution dirty IMO. They're talented as fuck, and Motorstorm PS4 would have been a killer app. (Tales from my ass) Still, business is business.

Driveclub to me might be one of the purest racers I've enjoyed. It reminded me of playing MSR and PGR back in the day, just the pure bliss of driving and racing? Hard to explain. There was a lot of hysteria around the online problems, and I feel like they took the brunt of the toxicity that surrounds games these days.

What a shame.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Its not Evolutions fault for Sony's shitty practices. Motorstorm Apocolypse failed due to Sony's whole being hacked debacle and then the Tsunami that happened in Japan (basically bad timing) the month prior in 2011.

DC was promised by Sony to be free on PS Plus fucking Evo over for server load stress tests and launch dates.

Either way heres an article from Gamesradar:

Evolution studios did nothing wrong.
Apocolypse failed mainly due to bad timing, yes, but it wasn't Sony's fault. The tsunami was unforeseeable and the hacking was unfortunate but the game was focused on offline content with online being an extra option. It's very unlikely more than a small percentage bought it solely for online racing. Also I doubt it would have done that well anyway seeing how Pacific Rift sold poorly.

I loved those games but I just don't think they did poorly for any reason other than the racing genre isn't popular in general anymore.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Really sad to see this game go and everything that happened to Evolution. I myself was quite upset with the game when it launched during the period where it's online was not working (I think it was 3-4 weeks?), but the game itself was always a damn fun with alot of tracks that were enjoyable to go through. Plus it has probably one of the greatest season passes and post launch contents of any game I've seen with how much they added.

BUY this game before it goes away if you have any interest in cars or racing games. It was a really good time and I'm sad to see it just taken off the store like this :(

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Tagged for later because I loved the game but forgot which DLC content I have lol

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone is on the fence after all this time: this game is fucking excellent. The sense of speed in cockpit view is unparalleled and the graphics to this day still blow me away, particular in rain/snow.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Brilliant game by the end. I'm never going to not feel the sting of losing Evolution and Liverpool Studios. Their games were fantastic, even if they didn't set the sales charts on fire all the time.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
This thread reminded me that I should play more driveclub (I just remembered I have it on disc).

-edit-
Thanks to this thread I now have the bikes add-on and the VR version.

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I will never forgive Sony for closing Evolution, they have Motorstorm IP to fall on but noo they had to close them. They should have gave them one last chance with Motorstorm for PS4 :(
I suspect Driveclub already was their last chance, after several consecutive Motorstorm games sold in underwhelming amounts (partly through awful luck, in the case of Apocalypse).

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And they then went on to create OnRush which bombed as well.

Doubt Sony has many regrets at this point in regards to them.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
I was kinda interested in sitting down and working at the trophies, but as I understand it some of those require content beyond the season pass. I just want to make sure I get everything and like all the cars and stuff.

Regarding the content that isn't included in the season pass, i'll just quote myself from an earlier thread:

The following 4 Expansions/Tours (including the 2 bike tours) have been released long after the season pass has expired and are thus not part of it:

- No Limits Expansion Pack
- Finish Line Expansion Pack
- Suzuki Expansion Pack (DC Bikes)
- MV Agusta Expansion Pack (DC Bikes)

Then there's DC Bikes, which is a standalone expansion and can be upgraded to at a lower price, if you already have the main game. It also got a free tour (EBR Tour) and a purchasable livery pack.

Everything else was either free (like the Ignition, Photo-Finish, All Stars, and AMG Expansion Packs and more than a dozen additional cars) or part of the season pass.

Also, there are a few cars and a bike that will remain purchasable, despite owning the season pass. The purchasing options on these are just shortcuts and you can unlock all of them by playing the game, so don't waste your money. These vehicles are:

- Ferrari LaFerrari
- Renault R.S. 01
- Mercedes-AMG S65 Coupe
- Mercedes-AMG GT3
- KTM 1290 R ABS (free bike for everyone, not just DC Bikes owners)

The Aprilia RSV4 RF ABS Bike is also free and works even if you don't own DC Bikes, so grab that as well.

This plus the season pass will have you a 100% covered. Downloading everything will be a bit awkward, since it won't all come in a batch, the easiest method is filtering the DC content on the store by price and then just downloading all the free stuff.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
It's to prepare us for Drive Club 2 on PS5!
I mean, no it's not, but maaan that would look amazing... If they could do that without raytracing..

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so is the game/DLC only getting delisted? Or are the multiplayer severs coming down too, locking some trophies out?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I really enjoyed DriveClub, enough to get every trophy in the game. Original tracks plus phenomenal weather effects ftw. I should boot it up to check my Club level to see if I have those cars unlocked.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the structure of this game so much. Is there anything similar available on PC?

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm really not a fan of modern licensed racers at all, and didn't enjoy the Plus demo thing of Driveclub they released back in the day, but something about the VR version really, really stuck with me in a way I just can't explain to this day. It was one of the most immersive and fun racing games I'd played in years - somehow. The physicality of it changed things to a degree that I suddenly got on with it in ways I can't with the likes of the regular version, or GT or Forza.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
Yup, Sony's worst mistake this gen, it still hurts.
tell me about it, most people here would say the best new IP sony introduced last gen was The Last of Us,Uncharted or even Little Big Planet, well to me the best one was Motorstorm. Motorstormer for life here and if Motorstorm somehow managed to come back on the ps5 wow, that would be even bigger than God of War (my biggest reason to get a ps5 as of now)

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Shit, I totally forgot about the club exclusive cars. And its very unlikely that it will be patched in before the servers goes down since Evo no longer exists...

RIP Pagani Zonda R :(

Edit: As much as I love this game, can't deny that the launch was really disastrous due to the server issues, it took like almost 1 month to fix it if I recall, and by then everyone sort of moved on already and the game never really recovered from the damage done. Post launch support afterwards have been amazing though, with the weather patch and the season pass which has so much value and content. Its a shame.

Last edited:

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think DCVR had a pro patch. Its still low resolution when playing with a pro.

I'm almost certain there were improvements, resolution being one of them, but it's been a long time and I can't find anything conclusive from a quick search online. I don't think the demo ever received any support though.

If you have VR it's definitely worth owning given how few fully featured racing games there are on the platform.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the reminder, OP. Grabbed all the DLC and I'm tempted to grab Driveclub VR even though I have no intention of getting a PSVR anytime soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Be sure to download the DLC as well even though you purchased the season pass. If you don't then you might not be able to download them afterwards. (You can delete them later on but you gotta download them or "purchase" the "free dlc" for it to count).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Game is on sale on EU PSN, or rather UK PSN.
I grabbed the Bike expansion since I was missing it and it was at a nice cheap price, sub 3 quid.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This is so sad, with PS5 getting backwards compatibility we could've finally seen Driveclub at 60fps, would've been awesome.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, we can't use the Zonda R anymore when servers are offline?? Damn that's some bull.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the reminder, I just bought the season pass for DC. Might never play it again, but at € 2,60 or so, that is still a lot of content.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks. When I type it in search it leads me to unavailable links for some reason.

Guess I'll wait to see if they put it on sale before it expires.

There's 2 options to buy bikes, one as stand-alone, one as upgrade to the standard DC. You might be looking at a version that shows non-purchasable because you do or do not own certain content.

Ah ok. Still weird since I own the base game and haven't bought Bikes yet.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
I had 2,75€ on a card and 4€ on the other. Just enough to buy season pass and bikes lol

I have the ps+ version though. But I can still buy the disc version so no rush for that

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
There's 2 options to buy bikes, one as stand-alone, one as upgrade to the standard DC. You might be looking at a version that shows non-purchasable because you do or do not own certain content.

Wasn't this for a limited time?

Anyone wanna send me a general EU link that works for everyone or does that not exist for all 3 variants of DC?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the content that isn't included in the season pass, i'll just quote myself from an earlier thread:

This plus the season pass will have you a 100% covered. Downloading everything will be a bit awkward, since it won't all come in a batch, the easiest method is filtering the DC content on the store by price and then just downloading all the free stuff.

Right the way PlayStation often does season passes is honestly tedious.

So once I buy the season pass and the expansions not included, I then go just download everything that's free?

They make it even more confusing with all the dozens of free individual cars. If I don't have to do that it'd be nice to not have a full page of my purchase history be driveclub if some of those cars are already in car packs lol.

Wait, we can't use the Zonda R anymore when servers are offline?? Damn that's some bull.

Wait why would you not be able to? That's one of my favorite cars :O