Dis

Oct 27, 2017
This is her restaurant's 'About Us' page. The pictures are enough:

https://shootersgrill.com/pages/our-story

I mean honestly, as someone who isn't from the usa, if I knew that all the employees were proudly carrying guns I'd never want to eat there if I visited that area, or even if I lived in the usa. I'd be asking myself why they feel the need so much to be armed to that level, like they expected a mob war to suddenly show up at their place.

I know it's actually just because certain Americans are obsessed with their murder toys and feel they have to show them off non stop, but that just always seemed pathetic as fuck to me. The way they treat guns over in the usa will never not be the most stupid cult like obsession I've ever seen.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Boebert and her husband, Jayson, who was arrested in 2004 for exposing himself to minors, live in Silt, Colorado.

In 2010, Boebert's neighbors called police because they believed her pit bulls were threatening their dogs. Boebert received a ticket for dog code violations. In 2015, she was cited for misdemeanor disorderly conduct at a music festival for telling officers that their arrest of a couple of underage drinkers was unconstitutional because the teenagers had not received Miranda warnings. As she was being handcuffed, according to deputies' reports, Boebert tried to twist away from police, saying that "she had friends at Fox News" and that the arrest would be "national news". She twice failed to appear in court on the charge. The petty offense was dismissed because the Mesa County district attorney's office believed a jury would not convict her. In 2016, Boebert was cited for operating an unsafe vehicle; she pleaded guilty.
Truly somebody fit to serve in public office

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Totally missed this in the sea of stories coming out. How absolutely abhorrent, she needs to go asap.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I mean honestly, as someone who isn't from the usa, if I knew that all the employees were proudly carrying guns I'd never want to eat there if I visited that area, or even if I lived in the usa. I'd be asking myself why they feel the need so much to be armed to that level, like they expected a mob war to suddenly show up at their place.

I know it's actually just because certain Americans are obsessed with their murder toys and feel they have to show them off non stop, but that just always seemed pathetic as fuck to me. The way they treat guns over in the usa will never not be the most stupid cult like obsession I've ever seen.
as someone from the USA, seeing anyone carry a gun in public terrifies me

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I still struggle to wrap my head around the fact that people are voting in candidates like this. Just crazy. She definitely deserves to be charged over this, but I'd even just take censure at this point. Something needs to happen as a result of reckless endangerment.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure what the law says but is the defense going to be, "she wanted wanted people to know that the speaker was safe"?

I'm not sure about Treason but sounds like something close.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Why is this at all a reasonable take? All social media has done has made it faster to see how shitty people are, if anything it's a boon.
Twitter gave us President Trump. It's not unreasonable.

Yes racist, violent lunatics have been a problem since this country has existed. But social media has allowed goons like Trump and his ilk to completely blur the lines of reality for a large percentage of the country in the modern age. I don't think QAnon nut bags would be getting elected without Facebook around to let all of this stuff go unchecked for years, and even significantly worsening it by directing people to even MORE disinformation using it's algorithms. YouTube has hopped on this train and is riding it hard as well.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
There's more than one QAnon believer in the new congress? What an embarrassing party.
More than that

www.cnn.com

The congressional candidates who have engaged with the QAnon conspiracy theory

Nearly two dozen Republicans across the country who have engaged with the QAnon conspiracy will also appear on the ballot this November in their congressional districts – or in two cases, statewide as Senate candidates – as well as one unaffiliated independent candidate and one Independent Party...

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Twitter gave us President Trump. It's not unreasonable.

Twitter has not given us President Trump.

President Trump was created through years of defunded education, systematic racism and many disinformation campaigns being disturbingly effective. Whether it was on twitter, a website or a newspaper - the fact is, we have a body of people who cannot think critically and make evidence based decisions.

I shutter when people immediately go after 'social media' as it's only a vessel.

It's the same thinking that said rap music makes thugs and video games make kids violent.

Go after the root cause - lack of education, lack of focus on mental health and class oppression.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

President Trump was created through years of defunded education, systematic racism and many disinformation campaigns being disturbingly effective. Whether it was on twitter, a website or a newspaper - the fact is, we have a body of people who cannot think critically and make evidence based decisions.

I shutter when people immediately go after 'social media' as it's only a vessel.

It's the same thinking that said rap music makes thugs and video games make kids violent.

Go after the root cause - lack of education, lack of focus on mental health and class oppression.
All of what you said is also correct. Of course the fucked up institution which this country is mired in is a problem. THEE problem.

Social media is a bigger problem than you're giving credit for. As someone who has completely removed themselves from it, it increasingly disturbs me just how much it influences those around me in how they perceive reality.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Did her restaurant's twitter get shut down?
Here's their extremely amateurish website complete with typos and lorem ipsums all over the place
shootersgrill.com

Shooters Grill of Rifle, Colorado

Shooters Grill of Rifle, famous for it's armed waitresses and great food welcomes you. We have all kinds of items for sale online. Take a look around and show your love of the First and 2nd amendment with a T-shirt!
Lmao I thought you meant just general place holder text such as "coming soon" and stuff like that, not the actual lorem ipsum text in places for a live website.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I still struggle to wrap my head around the fact that people are voting in candidates like this. Just crazy. She definitely deserves to be charged over this, but I'd even just take censure at this point. Something needs to happen as a result of reckless endangerment.

Colorado is a blue state that's getting increasingly blue, but she's from a rural area.

Ultimately, GOP politicians from rural/safely red states/districts who moderate are bound to face extremist primary challenges, so they have no motivation to normalize.

This is why I would not expect the GOP to course correct after Trump.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
All of what you said is also correct. Of course the fucked up institution which this country is mired in is a problem. THEE problem.

Social media is a bigger problem than you're giving credit for. As someone who has completely removed themselves from it, it increasingly disturbs me just how much it influences those around me in how they perceive reality.

I think we might need to agree to disagree here.

My simple litmus test is - if you waved a wand and 'removed' social media (facebook, twitter, etc.) I don't think you've fundamentally fixed the problem, there would just be another outlet of how the depraved and easily influenced continue their way of being.

I personally feel irked when people focus on the proximate and not the root - so sorry if I came off strong at you, meant no offense by it.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

My simple litmus test is - if you waved a wand and 'removed' social media (facebook, twitter, etc.) I don't think you've fundamentally fixed the problem, there would just be another outlet of how the depraved and easily influenced continue their way of being.

I personally feel irked when people focus on the proximate and not the root - so sorry if I came off strong at you, meant no offense by it.
Not letting Nazis easily spread their ideologies to aunt Karen would probably help.

It obviously wouldn't fix everything. Like, no shit.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey, that...isn't even subtle or ambiguous. Just legit straight-up aiding. Crime of negligence at best.

Go to jail, do not pass go.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I would argue with traditional media and disinformation it would take a much longer path tho. Like I said before, what really makes my head hurt isn't the conspiracy theory...we've had things like Behold a Pale Horse, The Isis Papers etc take root in many communities.

But look at the speed and the source of where it started. We are talking posts on a random troll messageboard infamous for years for being full of bullshit to the point it's a part of the culture there to post fake out shit... in just three years its a political force in the real world brainwashing people who are lightyears away from the culture that made it up in the first place. That speed and weaponization doesn't happen without social media.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
People like Boebert and Hawley, just to name two, really need to be made an example of.

It's one (important!) thing to throw the book at these MAGA dipshits that stormed into the Capitol with their TRUMP flags and furs, but there are people in positions of power that need to face similar consequences. Hell, even more-so, because of their positions.

I hope this gains traction.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

It's been shown that social media moderators/content reviewers are at risk of getting brainwashed by the content they're forced to moderate. We didn't have problems like that at the current scale when it was just radio, TV, or newsletters.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
What percent of House members need to vote to expel someone for an ethics violation? This one seems like a slam dunk.

Peebs

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 16, 2020

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017

You're absolutely right, BUT social media is a very effective accelerant to what is already a volatile situation.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
You're absolutely right, BUT social media is a very effective accelerant to what is already a volatile situation.

Many of you all are posting the same thing, might I remind you all that propaganda and other mediums (newspapers, TV, news radio, etc.) have had the impact of literally putting Hitler in power?

Guys, Social Media is just another one of those, because it's a problem in OUR generation right now doesn't make it anymore significant.

You're all also discrediting the good that the Internet/Social media has done by narrowly focusing on it as a medium vs. the actual problem - it's a people problem.

Just to play it back to you all:

Newspapers were a mistake.
Radio was a mistake.
Music was a mistake.
TV was a mistake.
Video games were a mistake.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I had to sit through hearing her bullshit commercials back in November. She's a gun nut that only got elected based on her looks because she has zero political experiment. And to those yokels out there far from metro Denver, hot girl + gun lover = can't miss.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
The FBI can arrest and charge her right? Being a congresswoman doesn't give you powers of immunity within your own country as far as I know.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like she brazenly violated several safety protocols that she was instructed not to violate, so this should be open and shut removal? Right? Right?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Many of you all are posting the same thing, might I remind you all that propaganda and other mediums (newspapers, TV, news radio, etc.) have had the impact of literally putting Hitler in power?

Guys, Social Media is just another one of those, because it's a problem in OUR generation right now doesn't make it anymore significant.

You're all also discrediting the good that the Internet/Social media has done by narrowly focusing on it as a medium vs. the actual problem - it's a people problem.

Just to play it back to you all:

Newspapers were a mistake.
Radio was a mistake.
Music was a mistake.
TV was a mistake.
Video games were a mistake.

Social Media allows for rapid, unchecked disinformation at a speed that is unbeatable by people trying to promote truth. It is a platform that got ahead of our ability to wield it.

While it has similarities to other media, it is not the same, not nearly.