• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
I guess this is an American thing? I always get Subway from Just Eat and never tip, there's a £2.50 delivery fee right on the receipt.
It pretty much is, in the UK and such the Delivery Fee goes to the actual driver with a cut being taken by the service, drivers are also paid a basic wage. In America though, it seems like the reverse is true, the Delivery Fee goes to the company, with a small cut going to the driver, they also don't pay their workers a proper wage and use guilt tripping to have the customers "tip" their drivers or else they're scum, etc, etc.

Rather than fight against this, people in America just accept that it's how things NEED to be, and that other countries are using some kind of voodoo that will collapse society any day now. It's a problem where guilt tripping has worked, because if they refuse to tip, THEY'RE the problem and the driver loses out, but if they do tip, then THEY'RE proving to these companies it's the right thing to do and that these companies don't need to pay their workers. It's like it's an issue some kind of Union could help with.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Its a cop out to blame the system that you know 1000000.1% isnt going to change in your or your childrens lifetimes. Using services and not tipping people is a bizzare form of protest...

People are complaining that a luxury is too expensive... Then saying they dont have a dollar minimim to tip a driver because capitalism.

Ive given quarters to drivers in a plastic bag becaude ive forgotten... Ive installed cash go apps to tip people when i had no cash.

The excuses are weak. Its fine owning it. Who cares what people think on era... Just don't roll out lame reasons. youre fine with not tipping underpaid people bringing you your funions.

Thr gig economy was a mistake.

Sherbert

Oct 27, 2017
Rather than fight against this, people in America just accept that it's how things NEED to be, and that other countries are using some kind of voodoo that will collapse society any day now. It's a problem where guilt tripping has worked, because if they refuse to tip, THEY'RE the problem and the driver loses out, but if they do tip, then THEY'RE proving to these companies it's the right thing to do and that these companies don't need to pay their workers. It's like it's an issue some kind of Union could help with.
Seems to be a common theme with many of America's social problems - 'we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas'.

xnipx

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A proper capitalistic business model would have company paid vehicles and hourly wages for the drivers as support staff.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
My girlfriend lost her job recently so I've been giving Lyft rides to help cover our expenses, and out of the 14 rides I've given today, I've only received a tip from... wait for it... no one. And I have a 5.0 rating for whatever that's worth. No idea why people have developed this belief that tipping is some superfluous expense.

Did 18 deliveries for Shipt last week and only 8 of them tipped. Actually not as bad as usual, but still. We're talking $150 - $200 orders here, and they can't throw me 5 bucks?

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it matter how much the food costs? How much extra work is delivering a pizza vs whatever $200 stuff they ordered?
I think $5 is just a reasonable, standard number to tip when you're getting something delivered. As far as covering the time and vehicle expenses for a typical delivery.

So there's not really an excuse to not pay the standard amount if you can buy consumer goods that are a couple hundred bucks. Obviously, the real issue is that wages are structured around tips for delivery jobs in America but that is currently the system we are stuck with.

Nov 9, 2017
I think $5 is just a reasonable, standard number to tip when you're getting something delivered. As far as covering the time and vehicle expenses for a typical delivery.

So there's not really an excuse to not pay the standard amount if you can buy consumer goods that are a couple hundred bucks. Obviously, the real issue is that wages are structured around tips for delivery jobs in America but that is currently the system we are stuck with.

Eh, if you're ordering a pizza or something in the $15-20 range that seems quite high, but the amount doesn't really matter. Places charge extra for delivery, these apps charge quite a bit, you include a tip on the app but apparently you're supposed to give them cash even though everyone is pushing us towards cashless...people are sick of it all and the numbers seem to reflect that.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't used those apps but if I did I'd prolly tip in cash instead. I don't get delivery alot but when I do I try to tip generously.

Wife used to be a waitress so I know how dependent on tips those jobs can be.

I also wish tipping culture would go away and these places would just pay a actual decent wage.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I can barely feed myself living in NYC. I only get doordash like every few months. And even then I barely have enough for most thing let alone tip.

If I had a better income I would tip 100% cause I know how most of those workers live off those tips.
If the delivery person had a better income you wouldn't have to tip...

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Why does it matter how much the food costs? How much extra work is delivering a pizza vs whatever $200 stuff they ordered?
Lol are you kidding me?

I do their grocery shopping for them. It's a hell of a lot more work. I had to lug 21 jugs of oil from store shelf to the guys shop, 35 lbs per jug, by myself and got no tip.

Shops take anywhere from 30 minutes to and hour of running around the store, coordinating with customers about substitutions, lugging it unto their home (sometimes I put the groceries away for them) and of course all the driving.

I'm assuming you don't know what Shipt is and thought I was talking about something else but I actually work pretty hard gathering these orders and delivering them. The amount of money a customer spend is pretty directly reflective of that.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I just stopped ordering food tbh. I always tip 13-20% (13 being the lowest I'd give, even for shitty service). That + delivery charge....like people have said, paying almost double for $10 worth of food...ridiculous. I'm voting with my wallet on that one so I've just opted out altogether.

Don't think I've ordered food in 2 years. Obviously still tip at restaurants where someone waits on me.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Does this actually apply outside of america? Because it's not like it's common to tip in australia, and I use ubereats quite a few times.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I use Uber eats since it seems Uber made it ok not to tip. I still usually tip tho

Does the app really make it seem like its not ok? Because I would say 75% of my orders tip, and I get decent tips too. Usually $4 or more.

Even with UberEats, it totally matters. If I'm picking up $100 worth of food, there is extra handling time involved. Multiple trips because I can't carry that shit all by myself. If you're expecting catering sized delivery for one person with their own car, I expect a tip.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Does this actually apply outside of america? Because it's not like it's common to tip in australia, and I use ubereats quite a few times.
Nope, see...
It pretty much is, in the UK and such the Delivery Fee goes to the actual driver with a cut being taken by the service, drivers are also paid a basic wage. In America though, it seems like the reverse is true, the Delivery Fee goes to the company, with a small cut going to the driver, they also don't pay their workers a proper wage and use guilt tripping to have the customers "tip" their drivers or else they're scum, etc, etc.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
anyone who's willing to deliver food to my fat white body deserves a tip

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wish I didn't have to tip. I only do it to discourage food tampering and encourage good service. I hate giving them money though

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wasn't there an article or twitter thread recently that showed GrubHub or another delivery service charges their customers something like $2 and even if the customer tipped $5 or $0, the driver still ended up with only a fraction after GH took their fees out

edit: yes this is the NYT via the verge. NYT and the verge with no paywall
I was gonna point this out. I aint tipping doordash... especially since they add delivery fees on top of arbitrary mark ups per item.

$12 dish sells for $15 on doordash. Delivery fee is $6. An $18 order becomes $32. Knowing what I now know about tips Im already paying it.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Lol are you kidding me?

I do their grocery shopping for them. It's a hell of a lot more work. I had to lug 21 jugs of oil from store shelf to the guys shop, 35 lbs per jug, by myself and got no tip.

Shops take anywhere from 30 minutes to and hour of running around the store, coordinating with customers about substitutions, lugging it unto their home (sometimes I put the groceries away for them) and of course all the driving.

I'm assuming you don't know what Shipt is and thought I was talking about something else but I actually work pretty hard gathering these orders and delivering them. The amount of money a customer spend is pretty directly reflective of that.

And why are you blaming the people not tipping but not your employer?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's weird me how many Americans push the idea of obligatory tipping so much yet ignore they idea to pay their workers a decent wage because "it's hard". Like, no shit it's hard, but you can't keep with this band-aid solution that is tipping forever, putting the pressure and blame to the wrong people (customers).

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
How about we pay workers a living wage and don't support shitty services that take advantage of people because it's convenient?
I always tip well when I get a delivery directly from a local place because I'm aware of the realities of it in America, but fuck all these contractor exploiting apps.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Need to abolish tipping and increase prices.

I agree. And a lot of these replies on this thread show why. All tipping does is allow cheapskates to force the driver to eat the cost of his own labor so they can pay unfairly for it. They should just include the price and make sure people have to actually pay for the labor, not cheap out at the expense of the person doing most the work.

I wish I didn't have to tip. I only do it to discourage food tampering and encourage good service. I hate giving them money though

And this is a good example why. Person here doesn't see he's paying for the labor and if he didn't have to tip it would be included in the price anyways (cept if the wages were actually fair and the employer had to pay a fair wage rather than rely on tips to pay their worker he would have no option to be a cheapskate). At least he feels pressured to tip (plenty in here who don't).

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
And why are you blaming the people not tipping but not your employer?

Tipping is far preferable then my employer giving me more money.

During holidays I can receive anywhere from a $20 to $50 tip easily. It happens every Christmas, and on plenty of other holidays people tip extra well. Even on non holidays, doing a good job can get me a little something extra.

The reason they do this is because I always go above and beyond and I am professional and courteous about it. I don't want my employer to give me a raise, I want to people to give me tips when I do a good job because I'm damn good at my job and earn more from tips then I would from a raise.

If the person sucks and doesn't do a good job THEN you can choose not to tip, but when they do a great job and then some, you're an asshole not to tip in a society where it's normal and not going anywhere anytime soon (and I don't want it to go away!).

Is it really that big of a deal to throw $2-$3 at me if I do a good job? Like, come the fuck on. Christ almighty I'm busting my ass to get through college over her and put a couple extra packages of ramen on my table and you think you're doing society a favor by saving $2 on you're $150 grocery order. Get outta here with that nonsense.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Tipping is far preferable then my employer giving me more money.

During holidays I can receive anywhere from a $20 to $50 tip easily. It happens every Christmas, and on plenty of other holidays people tip extra well. Even on non holidays, doing a good job can get me a little something extra.

The reason they do this is because I always go above and beyond and I am professional and courteous about it. I don't want my employer to give me a raise, I want to people to give me tips when I do a good job because I'm damn good at my job and earn more from tips then I would from a raise.

If the person sucks and doesn't do a good job THEN you can choose not to tip, but when they do a great job and then some, you're an asshole not to tip in a society where it's normal and not going anywhere anytime soon (and I don't want it to go away!).

Is it really that big of a deal to throw $2-$3 at me if I do a good job? Like, come the fuck on. Christ almighty I'm busting my ass to get through college over her and put a couple extra packages of ramen on my table and you think you're doing society a favor by saving $2 on you're $150 grocery order. Get outta here with that nonsense.

To be fair to me this is more an argument for those who want to abuse the tipping culture system pointing out that even if they don't tip, it obviously doesn't affect the workers very much cause they prefer tipping cause they get paid more. Personally I say we pay fair wages and allow tips but now tips are actually tips... when you do a good enough job to be noticed that they want to compliment you for it.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
To be fair to me this is more an argument for those who want to abuse the tipping culture system pointing out that even if they don't tip, it obviously doesn't affect the workers very much cause they prefer tipping cause they get paid more. Personally I say we pay fair wages and allow tips but now tips are actually tips... when you do a good enough job to be noticed that they want to compliment you for it.

I'm down with that.

I just want it known that tipped employees typically do NOT want wages increased and tips taken away and you're not doing us any favors by not tipping.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017
I know it's slightly off-topic, but the weirdest tipping practice I've seen in the US is giving their mailman money.
I was shocked and confused by it.

I wonder if this still happens in today's era of DHL and others, as well as with the decline in mail traffic in general?

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When the transportation cost is already high, why the hell would I ever tip, it's not my job to pay their employees proper wages.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fucked up but unsurprising. I feel like I'm getting prompted to tip way more these days, even when getting services that traditionally wouldn't be tipped, and I imagine that that oversaturation is part of why people are not paying up as often/much. These companies should pay the workers more but of course that's never going to happen in a way that will actually make much of a difference.
I have never heard of this. It must be a relic of 60s-80s America when people still talked to their mailman.
This has gotten a big boost lately with the rise in online shopping. Most UPS drivers out there will get a few tips from their routes around the holiday season and I think USPS carriers still get a fair amount too, though probably not as much as they used to. Not everyone does it, but if even 1% of stops do it, it'll still be somewhat common

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
Shit I've been tipping in the Skip the Dishes app this entire time. Am I doing it wrong? Anyone from Canada know how Skip distrubutes the tips?