Status
Not open for further replies.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2 being ranked in the top 10 and Metroid SR sweeping up those 3DS awards makes me super happy. I understand XC2 has some character designs that can be a bit 'much' at times but the game has a lot of heart to make up for it. I see some love for Hollow Knight in here and I'm eagerly awaiting the Switch port before diving in much like many others. It's time to shine will be this year I swear it!

The comments about Splatoon 2 strike me as a little odd, as there weren't very many outstanding shooters besides PUBG and maybe Prey? I adore it much like the original Splatoon but I didn't spend much time with it so I didn't put my vote in for it. Maybe if Splatoon 2 came out last year I could see it being the #1 shooter of the year to be more surprising and reasonably controversial.

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way, haha!

Same here! I felt empty for several days after finishing the game.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I voted for ARMS and Splatoon 2 after seeing these reactions.

Lumping visual novels into "adventure" is ehhhhh

But I guess there just aren't enough of them for their own category.
Well, in Japan, home of most the games in the genre, they divide the genre into NVL (novel, with mostly text) and ADV (adventure, with interactivity) so I feel like Adventure is really the best way to classify these games. ADV is even used more commonly in Japan.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Glad I voted for ARMS and Splatoon 2 after seeing these reactions.

Well, in Japan, home of most the games in the genre, they divide the genre into NVL (novel, with mostly text) and ADV (adventure, with interactivity) so I feel like Adventure is really the best way to classify these games. ADV is even used more commonly in Japan.

Maybe, but this is a western forum with mostly western users so it sort of makes sense to sort things into a western perspective.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
niasmug2hosy1.jpg
Cheeky Nia is Best Nia

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
A very solid list, all the games I thought would be there are there, just in a slightly different order than I may've expected. Fantastic work everyone who made this happen. These polls are a highlight of the year and I really appreciate the work you guys put into them.

I think my only complaint are that the genre lists look like a complete mess. Like, why is Super Mario Odyssey an Action/Adventure game but Sonic Mania and Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy are Action games? And how on earth are 1-2 Switch and Hidden Agenda Board/Card games? There's a few others I can spot too but I'll stop myself there, the weird genre typing just seems messy.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but this is a western forum with western users so it sort of makes sense to sort things into a western perspective.
I mean, I think people use Adventure here too a lot, just remember classic PC games, and a VN category in general would be too niche, so I think it's fine to call them this and makes even more sense considering how the developers call the games too.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A very solid list, all the games I thought would be there are there, just in a slightly different order than I may've expected. Fantastic work everyone who made this happen. These polls are a highlight of the year and I really appreciate the work you guys put into them.

I think my only complaint are that the genre lists look like a complete mess. Like, why is Super Mario Odyssey an Action/Adventure game but Sonic Mania and Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy are Action games? And how on earth are 1-2 Switch and Hidden Agenda Board/Card games? There's a few others I can spot too but I'll stop myself there, the weird genre typing just seems messy.
I'm guessing the difference between Odyssey and the other two platformers you mentioned is that Odyssey is much more exploration oriented and doesn't have things like levels, whereas Crash and Sonic are all about getting to the goal

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly it. Beating highly regarded exclusives in spite of this adds fuel to the fire.

Can't say I'm a fan of the category awards. We weren't specifically voting for the different categories, so piecing those lists together from the main GOTY votes just doesn't make sense. There are plenty of games people would have listed or ordered differently if they were voting for specific categories rather than their overall favorite games of the year. Nier is a perfect example of this. It was high on my GOTY list and I played it on PC, but if I were piecing together a "Best PC Games of 2017" list, it probably wouldn't even be in the top 10.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
2017 was an amazing year, can't wait to see what surprises 2018 brings! I've been waiting to pick up Hollow Knight for console, really looking forward to playing it.

And go play Night In The Woods, people! I tried to find some non-spoilery gifs:

tumblr_p199l0JAql1vrzsjyo3_540.gif

tumblr_p1bp90NA7p1wv5hmyo1_540.gif

tumblr_oxvcgwPwpw1vrzsjyo1_540.gif

tumblr_ovvadqCWPh1vrzsjyo3_r1_540.gif

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
2017 was an amazing year, can't wait to see what surprises 2018 brings! I've been waiting to pick up Hollow Knight for console, really looking forward to playing it.

And go play Night In The Woods, people! I tried to find some non-spoilery gifs:

tumblr_p199l0JAql1vrzsjyo3_540.gif

tumblr_p1bp90NA7p1wv5hmyo1_540.gif

tumblr_oxvcgwPwpw1vrzsjyo1_540.gif

tumblr_ovvadqCWPh1vrzsjyo3_r1_540.gif
Whoa, what kind of game is this? The art style is super-charming.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I ended up not voting because my backlog of 2017 games I want to play but still haven't is still a lot larger than the list of 2017 games I've actually played, buttttttt I was definitely going to put BOTW at 1 and probably Odyssey at 2, so lol whatever

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
nier as the best PC game? really? the port is fucking awful, you cant even play it 1080p full screen without a mod

i also think it would've been better to have best PC game, best PS4 game etc be exclusives rather than multiplats

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I'm not a fan of best PC title being for a bad port of console title, but otherwise the majority of the list pretty much exactly as expected.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably worth considering that Splatoon 2 was likely many people's first foray into the series, thus it still had the freshness some of us all spoke of when playing the original back in 2015.
For me it was pretty much a safe sequel that didn't really tackle my gripes from the original so it missed my list, it's still however a really novel and newcomer friendly take on the genre, that movement is as slick and satisfying as ever.

I think PUBG was hamstrung on this forum by being a late year arrival to console on the XBONE only, complete with performance woes and also having Fortnite (which couldn't be voted for) eating its lunch on consoles.

Pls stop posting these ugly ass xenoblade characters
tqeB7Wl.jpg

You didn't even vote friendo, now all you can do is watch in vain as the splatoblade twos mock you and your unknown picks from afar.

James

Oct 25, 2017
US
I am surrounded by people with impeccable taste on this forum. That's a good thing since I forgot to vote.

I might move a few games a place or two if it were up to me, but those lists are overall fantastic.

Also, this illustrates just how great 2017 was for gaming. A lot of years don't have a single game that could crack that top five.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's probably worth considering that Splatoon 2 was likely many people's first foray into the series, thus it still had the freshness some of us all spoke of when playing the original back in 2015.
For me it was pretty much a safe sequel that didn't really tackle my gripes from the original so it missed my list, it's still however a really novel and newcomer friendly take on the genre, that movement is as slick and satisfying as ever.

Just wish it wasn't hamstrung by a lack of basic functionality. Where's my party system, friends

Status
Not open for further replies.