• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnes

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever the other person is who had Style Savvy in their list, you have good taste. And apparently we're the only two people who do.

imt558

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really great list. Nice to see such great "niche" titles like Yakuza 0, Nier or Persona at the top.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Great list for a great year. Shame Pyre didn't crack the top 20, but that sports win was a fun surprise.

Thanks to everyone for the work in putting this together! Submission process was simple and the end result looks real sharp.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Two of my top three are in the top six, and others from my top 10 are there as well. So I'm satisfied.

I should really get around to playing Resident Evil 7.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused by the placements. In the unfiltered list, Hollow Knight makes #17. Oh well, still did pretty good considering it's a sidescroller that's available only on PC.

Also confused by some of the entrants in the "Remake" category. :P

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think nearly as highly of Nier:Automata and Horizon: Zero Dawn (while both alright games)

But Yakuza 0 at least in Top 10? Impressive!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, I thought Nier would be in 4th or 5th. Very nice lol

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome work by everyone involved! Thanks a lot! Happy with the results, especially seeing Nier Automata, Yakuza 0 and Persona 5, Resident Evil 7 and Cuphead (all my personal highlights) so high!

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
vROpE4El.jpg

For XC2 top 10!
BOOP

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Splatoon 2 beat PUBG for Best Shooter? That is very amusing to me.

Also go Zelda! 2017 was a year where picking my personal GOTY was never really in doubt. There was Zelda and then the race for 2nd. Which was Fire Emblem Warriors, but I can see that was not a popular pick here.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, if this list anything to go by -- even though it's mainly from us schmucks on this forum -- it's that Japanese devs have been having a pretty good gen.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
that is a LOT of games I still need to play... holy cow. Gaming is wonderful

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised Persona 5 wasn't higher up on the list, and that NieR beat out Horizon. Either way, solid year overall with some excellent titles all around.

Side note the OP and graphics are great!
You've always promoted PS4 over everything else so I'm not surprised you'd say that. Sad to see not much PC representation and Origin II not gettig more acclaim.

kierwynn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see Xenoblade 2 in the top 10- such a great game! And also happy to see Nier do so well!

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Why didnt Nier win best RPG if its higher than P5?

Also its unfortunate that I helped get XC2 in the top ten. Shouldve gotten farther before I committed to saying it was any good.

Nioh should replace it, best combat system and build system of 2017 that i played

A game is eligible for one of the Genre Award categories. As Nier was up for Best Action Game, it was not eligible for best RPG.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting list! Definitely doesn't match my tastes though. Horizon Zero Dawn is the only one from the list I'd have in my Top 5.

Wolfenstein 2 is criminally underrated on the ERA list. Should be Top 5 IMO. Not even in the Top 10 is crazy. A lot of the Western games are way too low. Many of the Japanese games are too high (such as Yakuza Zero).

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued by Divinity. It just looks... very complex. I imagine it's quite manageable in practice, though?

Yeah like most of the modern crpgs it's not super complex, like it doesn't overwhelm you with numbers and stats like some of the older crpgs would. It is a difficult game though but there are difficulty options. It's mostly about using whatever abilities you have with the environment to combine damage and status effects.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Little too Nintendo and Japan heavy but good list nonetheless

Salty GT Sport got robbed by a Mario Kart rehash

Fandorin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a awesome Top 10 as always. Really great list overall, some small adjustments here and there and it would be my ideal list as well.

quincognito

Oct 25, 2017
And best shooter was Splatton 2 not PUBG :(
This actually surprised me a bit; both are great shooters but I figured the slow burn on PUBG meant it would get a bit more total attention than Spla2n did.

Still think people picked the wrong Nintendo game on top though, I'd put Odyssey over Zelda
I put Odyssey in my list above Zelda too, but I think the success BotW had in modernizing its franchise and bringing the best of other popular RPGs together with what people love about Zelda is notable enough that I'm not surprised to see people respond more strongly to it.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best PS Vita Game:
6. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel = 34 points, 0 honorable mentions
10. Digimon World: Next Order = 16 points, 0 honorable mentions

How did ToCS get 34 points when it came out in 2015? How did Next Order get 16 points when it only released in Japan?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Divinity OS 2 not in the top 3 for shame. Easily the best game of last year if you take it as a full package.

Era has an extremely heavy console slant looking at this list lol, with a Nintendo lean on top of that.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 2 beat PUBG.

ARMS beat Injustice 2.

Nier won best PC Game.

oprah.gif

I mean I knew Era schewed hard towards a certain segment but my god...

Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon 2 getting more votes than PUBG is surprising.

Considering the site we're on, I'd have been surprised if Splatoon DIDN'T get more votes than PUBG. Nintendo is the darling publisher, most ppl here don't gaf about PC and the One apparently exists solely to get dunked on.

Splatoon 2 beat PUBG.

ARMS beat Injustice 2.

Nier won best PC Game.

oprah.gif

I mean I knew Era schewed hard towards a certain segment but my god...

Yah basically this

Last edited:

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I feel like Im the only one on the planet who played this amazingly fun game called Nex Machina...

nex-machina-2.gif

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games must be on that deep subculture tip or something... but I didn't vote at all so I guess I shouldn't talk shit.
ARMS? We had NA Gundam PS4 this year, wth?!

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It probably would! But it couldn't run on switch, I mean besides being a sony owned game. Divinity probably could be made to run on it with enough effort though.
Just didn't make sense that you said switch specifically. Why not say it would have done better if released on a console. Most ppl on here are console gamers, not pc gamers. Just odd

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you people wanna play Xenoblade because of this list I think there should be a fair warning: it's got the usual JRPG bloat that you might have to get through at times but if you're only in for the main story you're going to have an incredible time. Outside of a dumb chapter it's perfectly paced and the story unfolds wonderfully.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in the top 10 was the best surprise.
With so much hate the game gets is funny that it went top 10

For me, it really deserves it being there.
Nobody will forget you Ardanian soldier!
The general vibe I get is that most people that take the step and play it love it.

I've never done sidequests in an rpg before and here I am, 150h into this game after beating it and doing just that.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy with the list but hoped Lost Legacy places higher. I don't know if this means that ERA is moving on from the Uncharted series altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.