Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
xGxpZu6.png

Welcome to ResetEra's official Movies Of The Year (MOTY) for 2023!
(for rules, jump to the end of this post)​

2023 was a rough year for superhero films, critically and commercially! But Barbenheimer was the shining beacon on those fronts, although that caused Mattel and other IP holders to dig back into the archives to come up with film adaptations. But what's with that Barbie Oscars snub? I didn't love the film, but it was notable in many ways, and Greta Gerwig deserved recognition for fronting the most successful female-directed blockbuster. Or that could be as Spielberg put it, "commercial backlash" and that Greta has already had directing noms for previous films. Then again, Celine Song (Past Lives) wasn't nominated for Best Director, although her film did get screenplay and best film noms. This is all Oscars drama and if you're not ponying up for those For Your Consideration campaigns, you're out of the game so what if you don't care about it?

As always, it's been a great year for films. I've got my top 10 but there are a dozen more potential MOTY contender films I need to see before I finalise. Yorgos Lanthimos could have rested on his laurels after The Favourite but he decided to get back into the weirdness with Poor Things, and that has ended up being very successful. Other well-known filmmakers put out some great films. Jonathan Glazer came back after a decade with the daring arthouse Holocaust drama, The Zone Of Interest, and has been handsomely rewarded. Wes Anderson came out with Asteroid City and some fantastic Roald Dahl short adaptations, Ari Aster had the weirder Beau Is Afraid, Kelly Reichardt had Showing Up with Michelle Williams returning to collaborate, Alexander Payne with the new Christmas classic The Holdovers, Todd Haynes with the brilliant psychodrama May December, and Emma Seligman had the breakout queer comedy hit Bottoms. As already mentioned, Past Lives was phenomenal, even if you didn't know it's a debut. There was the propulsive, environmental leftist thriller How To Blow Up A Pipeline. Slowly but surely, Native American films are being made, such as Lily Gladstone in Erica Tremblay's Fancy Dance. Riley Keogh despite being white, made the culturally sensitive naturalist Native American drama War Pony, which more people need to check out after you're done with Scorsese's Killers Of The Flower Moon. The American filmmaker Ira Sachs (Little Men, Love Is Strange) came out with the French gay romantic drama Passages, with the excellent Franz Rogowski in the lead. It's also been one of the strongest years for animated films, from The Boy and The Heron, to Suzume, Slam Dunk, TMNT Mutant Mayhem, Across The Spideverse, Nimona, Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget, a Venture Bros film, and films I haven't seen yet like Blue Giant, Unicorn Wars, and Robot Dreams (still waiting to see this in the UK).

loVgHjt.png

(Banners by Kazaam)​
  1. Everything Everywhere All At Once (516 Points | 63 Votes | 32 No. 1 Votes)
  2. The Banshees Of Inisherin (244 Points | 40 Votes | 4 No. 1 Votes)
  3. Top Gun: Maverick (224 Points | 36 Votes | 5 No. 1 Votes)
  4. Tár (224 Points | 35 Votes | 4 No. 1 Votes)
  5. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (198 Points | 32 Votes | 0 No. 1 Votes)
  6. RRR (192 Points | 27 Votes | 2 No. 1 Votes)
  7. The Batman (188 Points | 31 Votes | 1 No. 1 Votes)
  8. Aftersun (152 Points | 23 Votes | 4 No. 1 Votes)
  9. Nope (148 Points | 24 Votes | 4 No. 1 Votes)
  10. Decision To Leave (130 Points | 22 Votes | 3 No. 1 Votes)

Now, let's move on to
The Rules:

* Lists need to be minimum of 3, maximum of 10 films
You can of course add special mentions to your lists, but those won't be counted towards scoring. So keep that in mind. Please don't do the lists over ten… just write them as special mentions with thoughts and recommendations, etc.

* Films must be released in 2023
As always, this is tricky because the community is from all over the world and release windows can vary quite a lot. You can add a movie if it released in your area in 2023 or if it shows online as released in the year. Because of this problem there will always be a few films that will get some points next year as well as some that already were voted last year. Especially foreign releases. Hey, Europeans or UK folks might be watching 2023 films for the first time in 2024, and some still have yet to be released! It's all fair game.

* Films need to be numbered from best to worst (1 being best, 10 being the least best)
10 points goes to the #1 choice, 9 points goes to #2, 8 to #3, and so on and so forth.
Lists that are not numbered will not be added to the final tally.

* Clear film names only. Also your thoughts should be visibly separated from the title.
Please use full titles for films (not abbreviations). Also, format wise, try to clearly separate your thoughts from the title of the film (preferably as a new paragraph under the title of the film). While it won't cancel your vote, the only use of ":", "-" or "/" to separate the films from your thoughts are not preferable as those sometimes are also used in the actual titles.

* You're free to edit them as you wish until the voting ends.
Again, I'll repeat... UNTIL THE VOTING ENDS. I'll make sure to update and double check every list manually when the vote closes. Any edits made after the deadline will not be counted.

* One list only.
Pretty self-explanatory.

* Write some thoughts about the films.
While not obligatory, it is highly recommended to share a few thoughts about the films along with your list. I will choose some of those thoughts and use them as quotes in the results thread, so you get to read each other's beautifully written thoughts!

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

Previous result threads: 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022

Happy voting, folks!
VOTING CLOSES APRIL 31st, 2024

Last edited:

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
  1. Killers of the Flower Moon
  2. The Zone of Interest
  3. Oppenheimer
  4. The Boy and the Heron
  5. Asteroid City
  6. Past Lives
  7. Poor Things
  8. May December
  9. The Holdovers
  10. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Initial list from my Letterboxd ranking - may come back and add some further thoughts later!

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Please do take the time to seek out and watch much of what this past year's films have to offer before slapping your Top 10 together with a throwaway Mario inclusion and calling it a day. There are so many hidden gems on offer that don't deserve to be overlooked.

MY TOP 10 FILMS OF THE YEAR

LSewb1V.png

1. Poor Things (Yorgos Lanthimos) - 10 / 10
  2. The Zone of Interest (Jonathan Glazer) - 9.5 / 10
  3. American Fiction (Cord Jefferson) - 9 / 10
  4. Perfect Days (Wim Wenders) - 9 / 10
  5. Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie (Davis Guggenheim) - 8.75 / 10
  6. 20 Days in Mariupol (Mstyslav Chernov) - 8.75 / 10
  7. Barbie (Greta Gerwig) - 8.5 / 10
  8. Godzilla Minus One (Takashi Yamazaki) - 8.5 / 10
  9. The Holdovers (Alexander Payne) - 8.5 / 10
  10. Monster (Hirokazu Kore-eda) - 8.25 / 10
OPPENHEIMER IS ALSO IN MY TOP 10... BUT I WILL DEFER TO THE REST OF YOU TO DO THE RIGHT THING & SUPPORT IT

faAstTw.png

• Oppenheimer (Christopher Nolan) - 9.25 / 10
HONOURABLE MENTIONS (in alphabetical order)

wiUqDSV.png

• BlackBerry (Matt Johnson)
  • Joyland (Saim Sadiq) (2022)
  • Nimona (Nick Bruno & Troy Quane)
  • Rye Lane (Raine Allen-Miller)
  • A Thousand and One (A.V. Rockwell)

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
1. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
2. Killers of the Flower Moon
3. Suzume
4. John Wick: Chapter 4
5. Oppenheimer
6. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
7. Air
8. The Boy and the Heron
9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayham
10. Elemental

PennyPasta

Sep 3, 2020
Gamer County
  1. The Venture Bros.: Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart
  2. Nimona
  3. Trolls Band Together
  4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
literally only watched funny cartoons this year lol.

might come back and write a little about them later.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I can confirm there will not be a superhero film in the list this year (Billy Batson fan aside).

This list is weird where while I'm pretty confident on my top 10, there's a much closer gap between 1 and 10. And I'm still thinking of who to put as #1.

Edit: That was a lie. There will be one... and it's a pretty obviously one.

Last edited:

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I've not seen nearly enough 2023 movies, so for now I'll just make a very tentative top 5:

1. Blackberry
2. Infinity Pool
3. Godzilla Minus One
4. Tetris
5. The Killer

Blackberry's the only one that I think would potentially stick around on my list if I were to make a strong effort to get more 2023 films under my belt.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
  1. Anatomy of a Fall
  2. The Zone of Interest
  3. Oppenheimer
  4. How Do You Live / The Boy and the Heron
  5. American Fiction
  6. Eileen
  7. Godzilla Minus One
  8. The Origin of Evil
  9. Pigeon Tunnel
  10. Monster

Anatomy of a Fall: This is all I want. It's tragic, authentic, full of uncertainty, never straying into melodrama. Every performance is perfect. The script is flawless. It may be said to be a film about how we choose our own reality, but I'm convinced it's about why we doubt what should be obvious.

The Zone of Interest: An incredibly on the nose film about how on the nose it is. Even its restraint is over the top. Which is exactly how it should be. The film is a merited indictment of its audience. I'll never forget the ending.

Oppenheimer: Huge. Enough has been said about this movie, so I'll just say it's really big and really good in all its bigness. Nothing is compromised and nothing is inessential. Peak craftsmanship with the highest ambition.

The Boy and the Heron: Could be my number one, maybe it should be. It is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. I understand more each time I see it, but much of it remains perplexing. Is the film incomplete, or am I missing something? I can't really tell you, but I can say I loved it.

Last edited:

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
1. Bottoms
2. Oppenheimer
3. Eileen
4. Anatomy of a Fall
5. Theatre Camp
6. Talk to Me
7. May December
8. The Creator
9. Godzilla Minus One
10. Past Lives

EddIs

Jul 13, 2022
1. Oppenheimer
3. Society of the Snow
4. The Holdovers
5. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
6. Poor Things
7. John Wick: Chapter 4
8. Air
9. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
10. Tetris

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
As of right now, but I still need to see Zone of Interest and Holdovers. I just don't think I can rank Spiderverse 2 with that cliffhanger.

1. Godzilla Minus One
2. The Holdovers
3. Monster
4. Society of Snow
5. Air
6. Talk To Me
7. Ironclaw
8. The Last Slam Dunk
9. Oppenheimer
10. Past Lives

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely got a handful I want to watch in the next month or two now that they're coming to streaming - still haven't seen The Holdovers for one. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's list so I can crib off of them!

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
Top 10 in progress

1. The Holdovers
3. Oppenheimer
4. Air
5. Mission Impossible: DR1
6. BlackBerry
7. The Killer
8. John Wick 4
9. The Covenant

under-construction90s-90s.gif

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
1. Oppenheimer
2. The Holdovers
3. Guardians of the Galaxy 3
4. Poor Things
5. Air
6. Quiz Lady
7. No Hard Feelings
8. Are You There God
9. Flora and Son
10. Past Lives

I have no doubt American Fiction would have made my list, but it never showed near me.

Last edited:

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
1. Perfect Days
2. The Iron Claw
3. Ferrari
4. All of Us Strangers
5. The Zone of Interest
6. Godzilla Minus One
7. Fallen Leaves
8. May December
9. The Holdovers
10. John Wick: Chapter 4

Honourable mention - Pacifiction, Showing Up, Master Gardener, The Delinquents

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Still a couple of films I need to see (All of Us Strangers!) before wrapping up 2023, but this was an exceedingly strong year. My entire top 10 consists of 4.5/5 and above for my first watch on Letterboxd.

1. Showing Up
2. Poor Things
3. The Holdovers
4. May December
5. The Zone of Interest
6. Oppenheimer
7. Anatomy of a Fall
8. Past Lives
9. Beau is Afraid
10. Killers of the Flower Moon

HM: Barbie, Across the Spiderverse, Monster, Infinity Pools, Shortcomings, Saltburn, Fallen Leaves, You Hurt My Feelings, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I can confirm there will not be a superhero film in the list this year (Billy Batson fan aside).

This list is weird where while I'm pretty confident on my top 10, there's a much closer gap between 1 and 10. And I'm still thinking of who to put as #1.

Edit: That was a lie. There will be one... and it's a pretty obviously one.
Forgot about Spider-Verse for a second there, did you?

holeung

Oct 28, 2017
1. Afire (Germany)
2. Anatomy of a Fall (France)
3. Rotting in the Sun (U.S.)
4. R.M.N. (Romania)
5. All of Us Strangers (U.K.)
6. Passages (France)
7. Mad Fate (Hong Kong)
8. World War 3 (Iran)
9. El Conde (Chile)
10. Full River Red (China)

Yet to watch The Zone of Interest & Perfect Days.

Last edited:

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
1. Poor Things
2. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
3. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
4. Beau Is Afraid
5. Saltburn
6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
7. Evil Dead Rise
8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
9. The Holdovers
10. Anatomy of a Fall

Honorable Mentions:
11. Talk to Me
12. The Killer

Watchlist: Poor Things, The Holdovers, The Zone of Interest, Oppenheimer, Godzilla Minus One, About Dry Grasses, Perfect Days, The Contestant, The Boy and the Heron, American Fiction...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
1. Past Lives
2. Barbie
3. The Holdovers
4. Oppenheimer
5. Killers of the Flower Moon
6. How to Blow Up a Pipeline
7. Anatomy Of A Fall
8. Dream Scenario
9. The Killer
10. The Creator

Where I live Godzilla Minus One and The Boy and the Heron had limited releases and I was unable to see them in the cinema unfortunately.

Poor Things, The Zone of Interest, American Fiction, Ironclaw and All of Us Strangers are all out in 2024 here.

dmackin01

Oct 20, 2018
  2. Poor Things
  3. Oppenheimer
  4. The Holdovers
  5. The Boy and the Heron
  6. All of Us Strangers
  7. Talk to Me
  8. Polite Society
  9. Infinity Pool
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Last edited:

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
1. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse
2. Godzilla Minus One
3. 20 Days in Mariupol
4. Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1
5. Nimona
6. Barbie
7. The Inventor
8. The Zone of Interest
9. American Fiction
10. Poor Things

Last edited:

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Subject to change:

1. Oppenheimer
2. The Holdovers
3. Poor Things
4. The Killer
5. John Wick: Chapter 4
6. Past Lives
7. All of Us Strangers
8. Barbie
9. Scream 6
10. Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1

Last edited:

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
2. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
4. Tetris
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
6. Scream 6
7. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning
8. The Killer
9. The Marvels
10. John Wick: Chapter 4

Still need to see Polite Society, Godzilla Minus One, and The Holdovers which will probably be on the list once I get to them.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
1. Poor Things
2. Godzilla Minus One
3. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3
4. When Evil Lurks
5. Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse
6. Talk To Me
7. Barbie
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
9. Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
10. Evil Dead Rise

No idea if I'll get around to Saltburn or The Boy and The Heron before this is due.

Last edited:

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
1. Poor Things
2. Godzilla Minus One
3. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3
4. When Evil Lurks
5. Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse
6. Barbie
7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
8. Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
9. Evil Dead Rise
10. The Super Mario Bros Movie

No idea if I'll get around to Saltburn or The Boy and The Heron before this is due.

Watch Saltburn!!

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
1.Poor Things
2. Barbie
3. Godzilla Minus One
4. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
5. Society of the Snow
6. Priscilla
7. Scream 6
8. The Color Purple
9. Dicks: The Musical
10. The Super Mario Bros Movie

Work in progress. Still need to see Anatomy of A Fall, KOTFM, The holdovers, Iron Claw, Talk to Me, Past Lives, and The Boy and Heron.

Last edited:

saltine161

Nov 13, 2017
Denver
1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3
2. Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse
3. Air
4. The Marvels
5. John Wick Chapter 4
6. The Iron Claw
7. Creed III
8. Barbie
9. Oppenheimer
10. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Solid movie year for me, but nothing that was my super favorite compared to other years.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Complete.

Much like with last year, I made more of an effort to watch movies outside of the usual blockbuster. And to be honest, it was a good investment. The usual comforts of the blockbuster has been faltering. The biggest culprit seemed to be Disney with easily my most hated movie in a while in Wish (it was a rough month of Midvember in general). Still, there was many solid choices in 2023. There weren't any one film that stood out to me in particular as the very best (and even the movies on this list have their small flaws), the was still a lot to like this year in a wild range of genres. There weren't that many Oscar bait flops this time around as the likes of Ferrari, The Iron Giant, The Color Purple, Wonka and American Fiction were good in their own right. But these films just had more going for them.

1. Eileen
795899506d06c010f1b1a9b38f946500b42fdbe0.gif

This film may not have been on a lot of people's radar and it's understandable why. The book it's based on relied on some unpleasant first-person descriptions from a flawed female protagonist. Likewise, it is directed and co-written by relative unknown William Oldroyd. Yet for taking the daring risk of eschewing said narrative, the movie succeeds in telling its story entirely without it. His ability to channel whatever the titular Eileen was feeling put you right in her shoes in a way no other film could. This was further enhanced by the acting talent. Thomason MacKenzie continues to be one of the most underrated actresses in the market and Anne Hathaway puts out one of her best performances yet, but everyone puts out their A-game here. How so? Just ask Marin Ireland who dishes out a monologue out of nowhere rivaling Mia Goth's as among the best of the year. Add some touches which always make sure you're glued to the scene and some sapphic touches that are expanded from the book and you have an adaptation that is nearly as unsettling as the book yet make it highly palpable for all to sew. It would have ran away with the title if not for the abrupt ending which may have needed some extra steps to complete the story. But for me, the positives are more than enough to keep things enjoyable.

2. Poor Things
dancing-bella-baxter.gif

Given the source material, it's no surprise that Yorgos would want to adapt this novel. The Favorite was fun, but didn't quite make the cut last time around. But this film may well be his best work yet. And it all laid with what to do with main character Bella. Emma Stone had a huge task ahead of them in portraying the character in an appropriate way, and yet they succeeded in walking that tight rope. She is supplanted by wonderful performances from the likes of Mark Ruffalo, William Dafoe and others as she takes in the experiences of various other different people who are fascinating in their own different ways. The music also takes much of the same journey as it starts off awkward before showing signs of grandness. And the situations they land themselves in gave us some of the funniest showcases of the year. All while Bella strides in a strange world with the curious optimism to eventually grow into her new life granted by someone literally nicknamed 'God'. People may have ethical issues with the premise, but there are others who saw it as one who would want a blank slate or somewhere experiencing the gender they're comfortable with for the first time. And all of this is what will likely make this story endure the test of time.

3. Nimona
losiS7.gif

It was a rough year for lost media. As Warner Brothers seemed poised to do anything to draw a profit, the act of abandoning completed products had escalated. Batgirl and the Scoob! sequels were the most well known victims of this. And it almost looked like Nimona would join them. But after Disney left it for dead once they acquired Blue Sky Studios, Netflix came to the rescue and helped fund the completion of this product. And it was every bit as fun as we hoped it would be. The shape-shifting nature of Nimona made for some incredible animation feats as well as some great humor. It also serves as a great metaphor for those who don't fit the born and how easily that can cause people to label them as dangerous, both for Nimona and Ballister. Casting the later In a more heroic heart made wonders in fitting that narrative. The comic it's based on had some memorable moments in its own right, but the movie helps grow the concept to its fullest potential. I may still hate you Netflix, but I hate you slightly less for saving what would be my animated movie of the year.

4. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
giphy.gif

Putting this movie in the middle of spring may have made sense in making money, but it may have caused it to get lost in the Oscar shuffle, even if it's a bit justified this year. Yet I'm sad that this movie didn't get as much attention as it could have. It's yet another adaptation that manages to make significant improvements to the source material. Improvements to Margaret's romance as well as added depth to her classmates all help in this regard. Flanked by two faiths, Margaret navigates through her life through her desires. This is another greatly acted film for the most part (with Kathy Bates with an Oscar-worthy performance in the Supporting Actress category). I know it was a crowded field this year, but I wish it got more recognition for what it achieved.

5. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
50AF877349A658B1B904186868799F41F54DA16C

I honestly expected this to be higher on the list... but I just don't like obvious 'To Be Continued' hooks in movies. It doesn't matter if it was already hinted on ahead of time. That said, it remains one of the best animated movie of the year. The movie continues to build on the character Miles as he continues to find his place in both the film and in comics in general. It ends up being a great showcase of Black solitary as he proves to the Spider-Verse he is the best of the bunch (which other characters helping him out along the way). Yet in a surprising twist, we also get some significant character development from Gwen herself in a way that relates to trans discourse and in finding confidence in herself. Plus we get baby Mayday Parker. Who doesn't love that (besides Marvel editorial)? Despite the legitimate concerns on placing many of the characters as a monolith for Miguel's plans, the film single-handedly makes the case for this crossover of Spider-People and I can't wait to see how it concludes.

6. Missing
g2RpemB.gif

Will Merrick and Nick Johnson had a daunting in their hands. They were assigned their first directing roles to take over the previous ones of the first film Searching (they did a great job with Run too). Bot only did they need to produce something that was as engaging as the first film, but they also had to make sure that the concept remained novel. While some may say that it's a bit too bombastic to their tastes, I would argue they managed to improve things. The task ended up being pretty simple. They laid out a mystery that gave us a great amount of twists and turns while providing commentary on social media and the effects on its perception of people. We also have an interesting cast of characters, some sleek editing reminiscent of the first film and some tongue-and-cheek depictions of some common internet activities. All while playing with the dramatization of the story that they themselves poke fun at in the end. All in all, it's a great sequel that could have easily ended up as a cash grab.

7. Barbie
FIF-2007-img-1.gif

There's been some controversy going on about Margot Robbie being.... well robbed of a nomination for Best Actress. While I would say that the competition for that prize was tough enough to justify her absence, there's a more glaring omission here. There's no way the movie would have succeeded the way it did without Greta Gerwig at the helm. The whimsical direction in both cinematography and special effects? Having the confidence to give America Ferrera the chance to write that iconic speech that landed her in the Supporting Actress list (probably inspired by Superstore)? How about the little things like Barbie speaking to the old lady she had to fight tooth and nail to keep? All of this adds another reason as to why she's one of the best directors alive. Even with its criticism of adhering to binary norms, we get Alan, a character who's satisfied with his lot even if he doesn't fit either role. How it fares in the future may be questionable, but compared to something like Killers of the Flower Moon I think it will fare better.

8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol3-gotg-volume3.gif

The last time a James Gunn movie made this list, I made the accusation that he may have been better off in the rival brand. Now, after past actions nearly derailed his career and his previous films were exposed for the criticisms of Marvel films prevalent today (see The Marvels), he managed to take advantage of a perfect storm of circumstances. With a number of actors leaving the MCU and Gunn himself moving to his new job in salvaging DC's film franchise, he leaves behind whay may well be the most emotionally charged film to date (nearly had me crying over a dying raccoon). Despite a bit of that clunky dialogue remainig present, we have ourselves a group thay feel closer than they've ever been and arguably even moreso than the Avengers themselves. All this while boasting some impressive special effects as well as a doozy of a hallway fight scene, most of which will now be joining him in his new role. It's safe to say that Feige will sorely miss his presence. I tip my hat to you and wish you the best of luck in reviving the comic movie industry.

9. Joy Ride
4QK2tfB.gif

All in all, the classic comedy film had a decent year. No Hard Feelings and Anyone But You made some good hauls in the box office. Yet there were a few that fell through the cracks and were arguably better. We have ourselves a group of women in the spirit of Girls Trip on a journey to help out one of their own. It's a great core group (including a certain Oscar nominee who should have won) who all feel unique in their own conflicts and what they bring to the table (shoutout to Sabrina Wu as Deadeye, the rare eccentric yet supportive one who doesn't need sex to have a good time in a rauchy comedy). We also have commentary on racism both to Asians and within that community. It's a surreal experience that had to be seen to fully appreciate the film. It also has the funniest intro scene in a while.

10. Polite Society
18803ea8733251b15385f0902ad482d756f3f71e.gif

Fresh from her success in We Are Lady Parts, Midas tells a simple story of one sister trying to prevent the other from drifting off. And both know martial arts. Harkening from stunt work from the west and action movies from the east as well as some amazing choreography we've seen before from the director, we get a heart-pounding yet heartfelt story where you get to punch those aunts who look down on you. Just mind the trailer as it pretty much explains the plot. There has also been some discourse about the lack of Pakistani actors in a movie starring them. Hopefully she takes this to heart in the next season of her show.

Honorable Mention #1. Oppenheimer

0c7dda11fdf0309c7b9005e5a08bf3bde44afe54.gifv

I was certain I'd have both this and Barbie on the list, but much like Cillian looking in horror at the reality he created the movie will have to settle on the outside looking in. The interesting thing is that the movie's strengths aren't what Christopher Nolan is usually known for. Sure we have great special effects to display the nature of nuclear physics, but it's the actors and story that carry things though. Cillian Murphy, RDJ, Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, Florence Pugh and the list goes on. They all deliver an acting clinic for the ages. This and more subtle cinematic touches keeps the long movie length feel crisp. Some of the usual hangup like the female actors not getting as much to do spring out but it's Nolan's usual strengths that fall through. What's supposed to be a spectacular showcase of the first atomic bomb ends up disappointing because the team couldn't replicate the kind of explosion. That and the omission of a certain person who could have enhanced the story (cough*Neumann*cough) keep it off this list. Yet it shows that the man still has it as he aims for a likely Best Picture win

Honorable Mention #2 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
12165ddd6250395d128b.gif

In a rare occasion, I have two movies I want to highlight since these were the finalists I narrowed it down to. The surprising malleable franchise has found yet another fresh was to reinvent the turtles. Putting a more outcast spin on things, the crew weave together a tale that put more emphasis on the bond between the kids and Splinter and ever before. All while delivering on the action and showcasing yet another beautiful showcase of stylized CGI. A new age of animation is upon us and I'm here for it.

There are a few other movies I'd like to highlight. Creed III provided a great conclusion to a franchise that could have easily been a lay cash grab. Equally, John Wick 4 manages to stay more true to its roots in making the titular character work for his victories while upping the stakes in crazy heights while forcing the protagonist to take more subtle approaches to achieve his goals. Despite not quite achieving the chemistry a party could have, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves is a worthy tale with great action and special effects. Chevalier gave us an unprecedented look in one of the most talented people you may have never known (while the romance part was stale, I could safely say it's better than Napoleon, the movie starring the man who tried to erase his works). Sisu came close to achieving the brutal fighting sequences of The Raid franchise. Mission Impossible is another solid movie for the franchise while introducing a new star into the fold.

Forgot about Spider-Verse for a second there, did you?
You were right, but I actually had 2 in the list.

Last edited:

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
With me being in the UK, half the films I am seeing on these lists are not even available to watch yet, and some films that came out in the US in 2022 didn't appear in our cinemas until early last year. It really does suck…

Anyhoo, here's mine:

1. Past Lives
  2. Tár
  3. Anatomy of a Fall
  4. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
  5. Return to Seoul
  6. The Fabelmans
  7. One Fine Morning
  8. Name Me Lawand
  9. The Deepest Breath
  10. The Menu

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
1. The Holdovers
Sad, sincere, sweet, and indeed cozy despite the director's rejection of that; the sublime lead trio of Paul Giamatti, Da'Vine Joy Randolph, and Dominic Sessa infuse this Christmastime dramedy with heartfelt honest warmth and hilariously biting dialogues & interactions

2. Godzilla Minus One
A towering genre triumph returning to roots of leviathan terror and monster metaphor; a contender for the crowdpleasing blockbuster of 2023, delivering spectacle, misery, humor, and humanity in equal measure

3. Jawan
A fist-pumping Bollywood action epic that's simultaneously a socially-conscious caper flick, a righteous neo-Robin Hood adventure, a twisty revenge odyssey, and a maximalist ode to SRK swagger.

4. Oppenheimer
Three hours of (propulsive, riveting, impeccably-acted) conversations, politicking, and backstabbing, unfolding with the intensity and propulsion of a ticking-clock thriller. Nolan's most haunting work yet

5. Jigarthanda DoubleX
An energetic Tamil genre chimera of spaghetti western, gangster beat-em-up, political thriller, and ode to the art of filmmaking. Cinema as spectacle, as myth-making, as rousing weapon to shape minds and shift hearts

6. John Wick Chapter 4
A monument to jaw-dropping stuntwork, dazzling action design, and stylish headshot. Stahelski, Keanu, and the rest of the cast/crew amplify the series' joint-lock gun-jitsu, ritualistic assassin code, and sleek aesthetic into an $100 million epic of the most exactingly crafted and lavishly shot action to come out of Hollywood in years.

7. Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse
The best Spider-Man 2 since Spider-Man 2; a sumptuous visual assault and compelling Spidey odyssey from the first frame to the last.

8. They Cloned Tyrone
A spirited blend of blaxploitation, twisty science fiction, comedy, social satire, and existential unease that oozes colorful style and smarts. Boyega reminds us why he's one of this generation's brightest talents, Jamie Foxx has the time of his life rattling off quips, and Teyonah Parris is so good she practically steals the show from them both

9. The Roundup: No Way Out
A blockbuster victory lap after The Roundup dominated the Korean box office, doubling down on comedy and action while luxuriating in the bliss of Ma Dong Seok's blistering haymakers pulverizing fools and goons into next week. Formulaic but oh so immensely entertaining

10. Skinamarink
Poltergeist reimagined in experimental skin-crawling hypnagogic form, evoking the terrors of K.Kurosawa's menacing architecture, Kōji Shiraishi's analog unease, and the first-person immersion of indie horror games like Kitty Horrorshow's Anatomy

Honorable Mentions:
- Extraction 2
- Shin Kamen Rider
- Jericho Ridge
- When Evil Lurks
- Ballerina
- The Artifice Girl
- Talk To Me

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling my list is gonna be missing a lot of the year's Oscar films but that's okay, I still had a great time at the movies in 2023.

1. Godzilla Minus One - this movie fucking rips. I know this is gonna sound weeby but Japanese Godzilla just hits different. The human story is so compelling in this one that sometimes I forget it's a kaiju movie! I can't wait for Minus One/Minus Color to be my favorite movie of 2024 lol
2. John Wick: Chapter 4 - I've always been a big John Wick fan and this was easily the best of the bunch. Incredible action and an actual emotionally resonant conclusion.
3. Monster - the most underrated movie of the year. Not enough people will have watch this incredible film about kindness and understanding and that's a damn shame.
4. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - chai means tea!!
5. Shin Kamen Rider - a beautiful, sincere homage to the granddaddy of Japanese superheroes, a tale of hope in the face of adversity.
6. Past Lives - I'll be rooting for this one at the Oscars.
7. Joy Ride - probably the most I've laughed during a movie in 2023.
8. Suzume - not my favorite of Shinkai's work but nevertheless an amazing visual feast.
9. Furies - love me some Vietnamese action.
10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - Gunn concluded their story well

DarkCronos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perugia, Italy
1) Poor Things
2) Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
3) Godzilla Minus One
4) Oppenheimer
5) The Boy and the Heron
8) The Killer
7) Suzume
8) John Wick 4
9) Super Mario Bros.
10) Beau Is Afraid

Honorable mention:
The First Slam Dunk

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1) Poor Things
2) The Holdovers
3) Godzilla Minus One
4) Killers of the Flower Moon
5) Beau is Afraid
6) John Wick 4
7) Barbie
8) The Boy and the Heron
9) Asteroid City
10) Super Mario Bros.

It was a rough year and didn't get to watch as many movies as I wanted. All I know is that Poor Things was far and away my favorite movie of the year. Yorgos dont' miss.

Oct 27, 2017
  1. All of Us Strangers - I suspect this one will show up on more lists next year, but I caught it in December and it shot to the top of my then-settled list. The first post-COVID movie I've seen multiple times in theaters.
  2. The Zone of Interest
  3. Past Lives
  4. Skinamerink
  5. American Fiction
  6. Barbie
  7. The Boy and the Heron
  8. The Holdovers
  9. Talk to Me
  10. Godzilla Minus One

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I will stick to official 2023 films only like previous years. If I would go by local release date, I would be voting for a completely different batch of films than everyone else since most Oscars/Cannes films only premiere here after Christmas.

Final list:

1. Poor Things
A wonderful, crazy, original and very funny take on Frankenstein. Who knew there was still such a great take to be made on such an over-adapted story. Completely different from everything else Yorgon Lanthimos has directed. The over the top visuals and ambitious world building bring to mind the films of Terry GIlliam and perhaps Coppola's Dracula. The whole cast is excellent and I was especially happy to see Mark Ruffalo in such a great against the type role. Best film of the year.

2. The Zone of Interest
Jonathan Glazer achieves the impossible. He has managed to make a fresh cinematic take on the Holocaust. The film is sort of an anti-Son of Saul. It's cool, distant, deliberate and serene. Almost nothing shocking is shown but things certainly are heard thanks to excellent sound design. Mica Levi's score is simply haunting.

3. The Holdovers
The warmest and fuzziest comedy of the year with career best performance by the always excellent Paul Giamatti. The film nails the 70's aesthetic without overdoing it. A future holiday classic!

4. Anatomy of a Fall
An arthouse procedural that refuses to give the viewer easy answers. Sandra Hüller would have been my pick for Best Actress at the Oscars.

5. All of Us Strangers
Feels like this year's Aftersun though I did like that film a bit more. Sort of film that is best viewed with no prior knowledge of the plot. Scott and Mescal are great. Some great song choices.

6. Afire
A rohmeresque comedy of manners and a hangout movie that is very light on plot but stays with you long after the credits have rolled. Has the second most unlikable protagonist of 2023 (this is a compliment).

7. Oppenheimer
Nolan's ambitious scientist biopic is one of his best films. Perfect mix of Nolan maximalist tendencies and some of his strongest work with characters (usually his weakness). Robert Downey Jr. remembers finally that he used to be a pretty good actor.

8. The Boy and the Heron
Miyazaki's latest last film is his strongest work since Spirited Away. Definitely feels like a work of a director who doesn't have to cater to anyone but himself.

9. Perfect Days
The comeback of the year. I would have never expected that Wim Wenders at 78 would deliver such a touching and funny film and in Japanese no less.

10. Fallen Leaves
There are director who spent their whole career remaking the same film and Kaurismäki is definitely one of them. This is a very good and a very funny version of that working class boy meets working class girl story. I was surprised how openly the film deals with (Kaurismäki's own) alcoholism.

Honorable mentions:
May December - A wonderfully camp and very Haynes take on true crime and Hollywood.
Passages - The most unlikable protagonist of 2023 (this is a compliment).
Past Lives - The best directorial debut of the year.
20 Days in Mariupol - Slava ukraini.
Priscilla - Sofia Coppola's sadly underseen biopic is her strongest work since Lost in Translation.
When Evil Lurks - A brutal and serious Argentine horror film that is better than anything Hollywood has managed in the genre in recent years.
Ferrari - Mann's long-gestating biopic is not perfect but I'm still very happy it exists. Cruz not getting an Oscar nom is a crime.
Napoleon - Scott's and Phoenix's take on Napoleon is surprisingly weird and idiosyncratic. Kirby is also great.
The Teachers' Lounge - A tense school set character study that would make a great double feature with last year's similarly excellent Blue Jean.
La chimera - The best film of the year about a grave-robbing archeologist.

Full 2023 ranking:
boxd.it

2023 ranked

A list of 77 films compiled on Letterboxd, including Poor Things (2023), The Zone of Interest (2023), The Holdovers (2023), Anatomy of a Fall (2023) and All of Us Strangers (2023).

LTTP honorable mentions from 2022: Aftersun, Blue Jean, Toki and Lorita

Favorite lead performances:
- Emma Stone in Poor Things
- Sandra Hüller in Anatomy of Fall
- Franz Rogowski in Passages
- Koji Yakusho in Perfect Days
- Paul Giamatti in The Holdovers
- Mia McKenna-Bruce in How to Have Sex

Favorite supporting performances:
- Mark Ruffalo in Poor Things
- Janne Hyytiäinen in Fallen Leaves
- Penelope Cruz in Ferrari
- Jamie Foxx in They Cloned Tyrone
- Da'Vine Joy Randolph in The Holdovers
- Vanessa Kirby in Napoleon

Didn't see before deadline:
About Dry Grasses, Close Your Eyes, The Delinquents, Do Not Expect Too Much from the End of the World, Eileen, Elemental, Evil Does Not Exist, Four Daughters, Hit Man, Io Capitano, The Iron Claw, Kubi, Last Summer, Monster, The Old Oak, The Peasants, Robot Dreams, Shin Kamen Rider, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, The Taste of Things, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Totem

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Aww yeh, that time again. I've been waiting for this thread, glad it was stickied. Still waiting to see a couple of them that are only releasing here at the moment, but the rest I have together. Exciting ☺️

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Tentative list, still have a couple of films I intend to watch:

1. Shin Kamen Rider
2. Showing Up
3. Poor Things
4. How To Blow Up A Pipeline
5. Kill Boksoon
6. Eileen
7. Saltburn
8. Bottoms
9. They Cloned Tyrone
10. Godzilla Minus One

Honorables Mentions:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
Perpetrator
Nimona
Past Lives
Polite Society

Last edited:

The Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
1. Oppenheimer
2. The Holdovers
3. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
4. American Fiction
5. Barbie
6. All of Us Strangers
7. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3
8. Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1
9. Bottoms
10. Killers of the Flower Moon

Honorable mentions: Are you there God? It's Me, Margaret, Past Lives, Saltburn
To be watched: Poor Things, Boy and the Heron, Anatomy of a Fall, The Iron Claw, They cloned Tryone

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. Spiderman Across the Spiderverse

There was a long stretch during 2023 where my criteria for anything I was watching or doing was, "Would I rather be watching Across the Spiderverse?" And 90% of the time, the answer was yes. I absolutely love this movie. I originally mentioned it, but I think this may be my favorite movie of all time. I think Spot's transformation from a goof into a legitimately frightening nemesis is amazing. I think Miles and Gwen's growth is great and I love the dynamics they have with their parents. I like Miles as the "original anomaly" and the meta conversation about how every hero story has to have X/Y/Z thing in it or it's not a true story. I just cannot wait to see how they stick the landing on this one. And that's just the story beats! The visuals and soundtrack are absolutely incredible.

2. Oppenheimer
3. Barbie
4. Wonka
5. TMNT: Mutant Mayhem
6. Nimona

(Can you tell I have kids and don't get out to the movies as much as I used to?)

Last edited:

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
1. The Iron Claw
2. The Super Mario Bros. Movie
3. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
5. Oppenheimer
6. Infinity Pool
7. Poor Things
8. The Zone of Interest
9. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
10. Wonka

There is still a bunch of films from 2023 I haven't watched like Poor Things, Godzilla Minus One, Killer of The Flower Moon, The Boy and the Heron and The Iron Claw. If I'm able to see any of those I might update my list depending on how much I like them.

Last edited:

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
1. Oppenheimer
2. Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse
3. Barbie
4. Guardians of the Galaxy: Part 3
5. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1
6. Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
7. No One Will Save You
8. Super Mario Bros.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
1. Oppenheimer
2. Bottoms
3. The Holdovers
4. Theater Camp
5. BlackBerry
6. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
7. John Wick: Chapter 4
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
9. No Hard Feelings
10. Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 3

Nov 30, 2017
1. The Holdovers
2. Oppenheimer
3. Eileen
4. Tár
5. Infinity Pool
6. The Deepest Breath
7. Tetris
8. Beau is Afraid
9. Anatomy of a Fall
10. Run Rabbit Run

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
1. The Super Mario Bros. Movie
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
5. Nimona
6. Barbie
7. The Boy and the Heron
8. John Wick: Chapter 4
9. The Marvels
10. Suzume

OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
1. The Super Mario Bros. Movie
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
5. Nimona
6. Barbie
7. The Boy and the Heron
8. John Wick: Chapter 4
9. The Marvels
10. Suzume
I need to know your thoughts on SMB Movie and how it topped your list!