• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know anything at all about this MOBA Network company, its history, its personnel, its culture, etc.? All I can find online is that it is small (under 50 employees?) and the CEO is Björn Mannerqvist whose old Twitter profile says he's a "big time hobby chef and sports lover"

Last edited:

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Reddit is a bit more complicated because anyone can make a subreddit and make themselves a mod. And even if that subreddit gets big that still wasn't like.. a 'hiring' of a mod at any point, it was just this person using reddit to create a community and then that subreddit getting popular.

If reddit started paying mods it would probably have a pretty adverse effect on community creation and the current freedom subreddit communities have to ban whoever they want for whatever rules that subreddit chooses to have.

Well from my perspective. Reddit knows exactly how many page views each subreddit gets.
They could have implemented some measure of revenue sharing.

Of course it would have changed the dynamics of subreddits but at the same time reddit has been home for plenty of horrible groups anyway.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Oh boy. Congrats Cerium but hopefully you can share some of that payout with the mods. The moment they start hassling me about paying up for a subscription, I'm out.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Alright that dude is banned don't give him anymore attention.

I respect the hustle but damn this sucks lol. Hopefully things ride out fine, I'll stick to my usual lurking since I don't have much to say on a lot of topics but being told things will stay the same is a nice pleasantry at least. I don't doubt it, I just gotta see it.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was almost always going to be the endgame.

I guess congrats to Cerium for the payday.

Hopefully our new overlords are just and merciful.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
TL;DR:

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give DIRETIDE

volvo pls

my uncle is dying, he needs diretide

(also quite frankly I think some of the examples people give of communities "fleeing the site" due to "moderator missteps" would be received quite a bit differently if posters actually learned the history of these incidents from all involved parties rather than just seeing like five surviving members of that community shouting MY COUNTRY, <RESETERA_COMMUNITY_THREAD_NAME>, YEARNS FOR FREEDOM. not all of them, but like, some of these situations are way less black-and-white than some members would have you believe)

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Well from my perspective. Reddit knows exactly how many page views each subreddit gets.
They could have implemented some measure of revenue sharing.

Of course it would have changed the dynamics of subreddits but at the same time reddit has been home for plenty of horrible groups anyway.

Even what you are saying here would disincentive good community moderation. Poster makes a subreddit for womens issues, bans all sexist chuds, sub starts to become popular, and more men start posting in that subreddit with terrible takes. Than the original mod starts getting payed revenue sharing based on how many people visit the subreddit she moderates. Page views massively go up as shitty men start arguing with the women the subreddit was originally created for. She could keep banning sexists, but her share of revenue would directly go down.

Brinksman

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I did not expect to see some users and mods (and ex-mods) get defensive over people saying that mods should be paid. Very strange to call people 'hypocrites' for saying moderators should be compensated even though they…aren't nice enough to them I guess? It is possible to simultaneously believe that the moderation staff has done a poor job with this community but that they also deserve to be compensated considering their volunteer work helped a man cash out $4.5MM from a video game forum.

Bizarre. This "actually, it's the users who are in the wrong and they should go away if they have an issue" attitude is exactly what has created so much drama in the past and pushed several communities away. It creates an Us VS Them where the mods are valiantly holding the line against a horde of unappreciative and disruptive users. It's not a recipe for a successful community.

Some of the posts in this thread admonishing "hypocritical users" are so bizarre. You can really feel how much disdain these posters have for the community at large. I have no idea why you would devote so much time and energy to a community where you don't even like the people who are a part of it.

Agree. Personally speaking, I doubt I've ever created any issues for the mod team. Maybe some mild inconvenience in the odd report. I know how demoralising it can be to sit there keeping thankless hordes at bay at a major board, even on a professional basis. Forum moderation is just a horrible task to be saddled with.

By the same token, it's important for me to express that moderators need to respect themselves. You have an absentee turning around after many promises and assurances to take $4.5m in cash for personal profit and hit the road, while you sit here inevitably exposing yourselves to mental health issues for free. People are never going to change. If you can reconcile that scenario in your heads, okay, but I'd make sure to re-evaluate what I was doing and what my expectations are if I were you.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's logical to think moderators should be paid.. it's.. "work", to maintain something making someone else money.

Thing is.. people want to volunteer.. the bigger the forum, the more volunteers you need.. but.. then the "modship" is seen as even more desirable.

And the catch 22 being.. none of this is enough money to really make paying moderators worth it for a business. If it's generating $500k in income a year but takes 40 mods to operate it.. how much do you have to pay them then? As soon as you start paying that many people, you have other costs to incur too.. you are suddenly a medium sized business.

Pragmatically, these sites can make someone a bunch of money.. but can't operate as a normal business. It is what it is.

Sanatana

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Quick!, lets make another forum were we agree to all get paid when someone wants to buy our user activity.

Shit, if it weren't for us, news site would have 80% less content and user traffic.

This guy already got paid and ran for it. Us members are the true value of this site.
You can say that about any corporation that makes money. If it wasn't for the customers, the corporations wouldn't be taking it in and the CEO would have no big fat pay check.
This is why capitalism is a plague.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Damn bruh, OP never came back
Heh. Kinda funny, huh? We've seen threads were the OP says something really embarrassing then runs away from the comment section. Cerium? He was barely here to begin with. Dropped a bomb of a OP. Disappeared with 4.5 million in thin air. People got tons of questions and concerns. Where is he? Nowhere to be seen.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BBoyAJ laughing from his grave with this news

He also offered to put in 6 figures when the site was originally being talked about on discord in the gap in between forms. So he's probably like I knew this would go down hence why he wanted to buy in. He was turned down cause someone else had started already.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Thing is.. people want to volunteer.. the bigger the forum, the more volunteers you need.. but.. then the "modship" is seen as even more desirable.
This is one thing I've never really understood. I help moderate a gaming forum. I literally have no desire to have any sort of celebrity status or "power." I do want to help the community as a whole, but I'm not going to equate being a moderator for a forum with having some sort of ineffable power.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Weekend era this week is going to be legendary honestly

There's already been a legendary thread that's just been locked in general, mods are on the prowl.

This is one thing I've never really understood. I help moderate a gaming forum. I literally have no desire to have any sort of celebrity status or "power." I do want to help the community as a whole, but I'm not going to equate being a moderator for a forum with having some sort of ineffable power.

Y'all are kind of special in the context of the forum whether you like or not. I can't ignore you, for example. So even if you annoy me or aggravate me every time you post, I'm forced to see it unless I block the thread. It gives you a lot of power without even using your admin/mod privileges.

Of course it's all in the context of the forums, and I would obviously not compare this to celebrity status.

Note that I'm using a global "you" here not targeting you specifically.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
oooof buddy bout to catch a ban hammer for that post
Era (posters and moderation) have a really hard time with comparisons of kind relationships vs magnitude relationships. Like do they not cover similes, metaphors, and analogies in 4th grade anymore?

Ex: the way some moderators circle the wagon to defend other moderators from abuses of power is a 1:1 analogy to police unions in kind comparison, but not magnitude comparison obviously. But any figurative language that illustrates kind but is of a different magnitude will be actioned heavily. Or here, the comparison to free mods filling the rich owners' coffers to slave labor is a completely in-bounds kind comparison (this could be reworded into an Onion headline and no one would bat an eye), which in no way implies moderating a message board for free is as bad as slave labor.

Fun thing though, attacking the analogy from the magnitude angle, even when that's not the comparison being drawn, allows the actual comparison of kind to be ignored. This happens all over the site.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Heh. Kinda funny, huh? We've seen threads were the OP says something really embarrassing then runs away from the comment section. Cerium? He was barely here to begin with. Dropped a bomb of a OP. Disappeared with 4.5 million in thin air. People got tons of questions and concerns. Where is he? Nowhere to be seen.
He was up late finalizing a lot of this. He, like many people I'm told, require sleep from time to time

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Well, we know a few things:
-Majority control sale
-4.5M valuation
-Paid in cash
-6.5x revenue multiple
-80% EBITDA margin

Now, the cash part is normal, but the other components are a little unusual put together. To begin with, this valuation is *extremely* small, among the smallest I've ever seen get announced. It's penny change. It's virtually nothing, and confirms what I had guessed when no one else I know in the gaming corporate finance world had heard of Era. The fact that they settled for that vs trying to raise, say, a seed round (4.5M would be a high-ish pre-seed valuation in this market, which would be a very easy raise normally with those operating metrics), which would have still retained control, is pretty eyebrow raising.

It gets moreso when you consider a)the meh/lower end revenue multiple alongside the b)high EBITDA margin. Now, normally, that's a pretty good EBITDA margin. In fact, having EBITDA at all for a company this small is a little unusual. So why then the low-ish multiple? Why the majority sale and control loss?

My guess is *heavily* stagnant growth prospects, an owner who just wants to cash out ASAP, or, more likely, both. It is, in my professional opinion as a tech/media M&A banker who does some venture work on the side, pretty silly.
So based on these numbers, it would take them 8 years to recoup their investment of 4.5 million at 560K profit if they just left things alone.

Yeah, they're going to make some changes I bet.

Last edited:

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I know people are assuring here that MOBA will let this forum do it's thing, but are we sure they don't wanna see bigger growth and are gonna meddle, by opening registration to all, change moderation rules etc?

Or if they don't do it what if they will sell the forum to somebody in a couple years who won't care about keeping this forum civil and safe, compared to most other forums or reddit threads etc., and they will just run it into the ground.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would you start scrubbing your shins though?
I know how this goes. Can we just skip to the end where we realize I am right? Arguing online is taking a lot out of me lately and I'd just like to skip to the part where people begrudgingly accept defeat.

Or we all just go out on my boat until cerium takes us out on his bigger boat. Can catch crab. Everyone loves crab.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
True story about OP. He came to a NYC meet up a few years and didn't tell us who he really was until he was leaving. Kinda creepy tbh

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I know how this goes. Can we just skip to the end where we realize I am right? Arguing online is taking a lot out of me lately and I'd just like to skip to the part where people begrudgingly accept defeat.

Or we all just go out on my boat until cerium takes us out on his bigger boat. Can catch crab. Everyone loves crab.
I'm down for crab friend, I'll bring the lemons.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm down for crab friend, I'll bring the lemons.
Awesome.

Everyone we are going crabbing. Anyone else interested?

I got Corona (not the virus) too.

0_0N5cB5DAkE7ki8mF..0.gif

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
He was up late finalizing a lot of this. He, like many people I'm told, require sleep from time to time
He was barely here, man. BARELY. I can think of many situations where drama hit the site and we needed a leader to step in. HE should've been the guy to lead since he ran the damn site. He has roughly the same post count of a person who LURKS. I'm not saying he needed to be here 24/7 but dammit. If you own the damn thing then at least be around on a consistent basis. You know what he seems like to me? A ghost who just became a millionaire. The boogeyman just got rich. I'm salty about the whole thing and it's not about the money.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was thinking my only other post ITT was going to be my only one but I can't leave without a cliché 'don't say I didn't warn you' having seen the financial forecasts for this site people have posted after doing some basic arithmetic that anyone can see means things will have to change. This for profit company really bought a forum that hasn't had massive growth in the last 12 months just to make their investments back in time for when the PS6 Pro will be launching in 2029, if things do stay the same like we're being led to believe? Insert the biggest shocked Pikachu image in history when changes happen with this in mind.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be an absolute logistical nightmare to do that. Especially considering how frequently the mod lineup changes.

Not ALL of the mods, just those that are in it for the long term, with maybe something to give temporary mods a small say in the direction of the site. Be it just direct communication with the greater co-op, or a percentage of a vote.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

Might as well ask you too. But were there ever talks with Cerium about going back to the older system where multiple administrators owned a part of the shares alongside Cerium?

What I don't get is how we went from a system where there were multiple community members that owned a part of the site, to a single owner, and that single owner then sells the site with the reason it became too much being to sole owner.

It just feels like there are steps missing here, and a big one is if there were talks with the admins to see if they could buy in. For Cerium to take the burden of being the sole owner, and for the site to stay in the hands of the community. Right now it seems, Cerium bought out the other shareholders, work became too much, sold the place. But why weren't the present admins given the chance to buy in in that case?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Well I just said more "desirable"; what that person desires is subjective. It might be more fulfilling to help a large community for instance.

But yeah it's rather obvious some places it's a power/control thing.. I honestly don't pay that much attention here, I couldn't name 3 mods off the top of my head lol

Status
Not open for further replies.