• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
He was barely here, man. BARELY. I can think of many situations where drama hit the site and we needed a leader to step in. HE should've been the guy to lead since he ran the damn site. He has roughly the same post count of a person who LURKS. I'm not saying he needed to be here 24/7 but dammit. If you own the damn thing then at least be around on a consistent basis. You know what he seems like to me? A ghost who just became a millionaire. The boogeyman just got rich. I'm salty about the whole thing and it's not about the money.
He worked behind the scenes. A lot of the staff work isn't about making (shit)posts, you know.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not ALL of the mods, just those that are in it for the long term, with maybe something to give temporary mods a small say in the direction of the site. Be it just direct communication with the greater co-op, or a percentage of a vote.

I mean I was a mod for a year and a half. Should I be entitled to it because I was there at the beginning? Should someone who JUST resigned a week ago be entitled to a piece of the pie?

Like I said, there's just too many logistical ways this could shake out that would make it a gigantic headache. Co-ops are not easy to organize or manage.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Well I just said more "desirable"; what that person desires is subjective. It might be more fulfilling to help a large community for instance.

But yeah it's rather obvious some places it's a power/control thing.. I honestly don't pay that much attention here, I couldn't name 3 mods off the top of my head lol
Ah fair enough, I misunderstood

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Might as well ask you too. But were there ever talks with Cerium about going back to the older system where multiple administrators owned a part of the shares alongside Cerium?

What I don't get is how we went from a system where there were multiple community members that owned a part of the site, to a single owner, and that single owner then sells the site with the reason it became too much being to sole owner.

It just feels like there are steps missing here, and a big one is if there were talks with the admins to see if they could buy in. For Cerium to take the burden of being the sole owner, and for the site to stay in the hands of the community. Right now it seems, Cerium bought out the other shareholders, work became too much, sold the place. But why weren't the present admins given the chance to buy in in that case?
It's weird that there weren't bylaws established in the LLC that required the other owners' shares be offered to the community first, or to prevent majority ownership by a single entity, etc.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era (posters and moderation) have a really hard time with comparisons of kind relationships vs magnitude relationships. Like do they not cover similes, metaphors, and analogies in 4th grade anymore?

Ex: the way some moderators circle the wagon to defend other moderators from abuses of power is a 1:1 analogy to police unions in kind comparison, but not magnitude comparison obviously. But any figurative language that illustrates kind but is of a different magnitude will be actioned heavily. Or here, the comparison to free mods filling the rich owners' coffers to slave labor is a completely in-bounds kind comparison (this could be reworded into an Onion headline and no one would bat an eye), which in no way implies moderating a message board for free is as bad as slave labor.

Fun thing though, attacking the analogy from the magnitude angle, even when that's not the comparison being drawn, allows the actual comparison of kind to be ignored. This happens all over the site.
Why should any of us suffer fools gladly when other posters can and have made the argument for paying moderators without such ridiculous comparisons? It's low effort content and the user in question didn't bother to expand in a meaningful way in their follow-up replies.

But surely they thought they were playing chess on a mobius strip as they served up a back-handed compliment comparing volunteer moderators to slaves because they didn't band together for pay.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Heh. Kinda funny, huh? We've seen threads were the OP says something really embarrassing then runs away from the comment section. Cerium? He was barely here to begin with. Dropped a bomb of a OP. Disappeared with 4.5 million in thin air. People got tons of questions and concerns. Where is he? Nowhere to be seen.
Do you know how long it takes to count all those millions?

uncle-scrooge-mcduck-money.gif

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has been involved in this community for a long ass time with varying levels of involvement going from being a part of the setting up of neogaf to advising on the creation of this site. It ALWAYS stings to see singular people get rich off the back of the community.

But the least you can do is pay the mods.

This site wouldn't be this site without them.

You and I share the same feelings and thoughts on all this.

These forums had tremendous promise when it began, there was so much excitement to get it right, to do better. With the recent loss of SalesEra among a few other communities and how that was handled, and now all information being divulged about the sale and how said information was released, what an overall disappointment this site has become. In such a sort time span to boot.

Having worked as a volunteer in a supportive fashion,

I think the lesson to learn in all this is that big forums suitable for advertising are highly profitable. Never feel pressured to donate, subscribe or offer unpaid work to them, you'll only be taken advantage of.

Cannot be said better than this.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Even what you are saying here would disincentive good community moderation. Poster makes a subreddit for womens issues, bans all sexist chuds, sub starts to become popular, and more men start posting in that subreddit with terrible takes. Than the original mod starts getting payed revenue sharing based on how many people visit the subreddit she moderates. Page views massively go up as shitty men start arguing with the women the subreddit was originally created for. She could keep banning sexists, but her share of revenue would directly go down.

I see what you mean, but I guess the way I see it is that the maintainers of the community deserve to be paid rather than all revenue going to reddit.
For any subreddit, we're not visiting the website because of reddit employees past their service of infrastructure hosting and continuous development of the platform.

The time that moderators spend on forums can become a significant part of their lives.
And I just find it distasteful that it all goes towards a valuation for investors.

I think with your example, I think that's a conundrum that a lot of people in similar positions with control over businesses or communities may face.
Whether to stick to their founding principles or "sell out"
I think that choice deserves to be theirs's especially on reddit where anyone can create a new subreddit at a click of a button.

Oct 27, 2017
Since it's come up a lot, I just wanted to mention that we did discuss this with MOBA Network and they were emphatic that they are not in the user data business and never will be. They're not going to sell your data. Nothing is going to change about how your data is handled and protected.
How very considerate of them.
Fortunately for us, we don't have to depend on their good will:

"First, if you process the personal data of EU citizens or residents, or you offer goods or services to such people, then the GDPR applies to you even if you're not in the EU.

Second, the fines for violating the GDPR are very high. There are two tiers of penalties, which max out at €20 million or 4% of global revenue (whichever is higher), plus data subjects have the right to seek compensation for damages."

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
maybe i should make a cooking era discord

but my OT is mostly dead

WHERE IS MY LONELY CHEF ASS SUPPOSED TO GO NOW 😞😭
I joined to post in that thread, I think, along with some local community stuff, but I didn't post as much as I planned.
It's hard to find cooking places were folks don't get hypercritical. There's a cooking thread on my old man forum, but it's not that active.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
He worked behind the scenes. A lot of the staff work isn't about making (shit)posts, you know.
But you can work behind the scenes and still have some kind of visible presence. I can't tell you nothing about the guy. Not what games he like. Nothing. Not even something simple. I've been on Era since day one and I've met some cool people here and I can EASILY name several people and what kinda games and movies they like or whatever. I'm just saying that visibility matters. Interacting matters. Having a good time with others matters. Jumping in during a shitstorm and making peace matters.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This is one thing I've never really understood. I help moderate a gaming forum. I literally have no desire to have any sort of celebrity status or "power." I do want to help the community as a whole, but I'm not going to equate being a moderator for a forum with having some sort of ineffable power.
Uh, excuse me Hecht, we know the deal here. This is all a ploy to get you on the cover of Vogue, to get your name screamed by adoring fans from the rooftops.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The speedrun dot com leaderboards were sold off like this too, promises of nothing changing, and now the site is a giant flaming pile of shit so I won't really be surprised if this place goes even farther down the tubes.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that there weren't bylaws established in the LLC that required the other owners' shares be offered to the community first, or to prevent majority ownership by a single entity, etc.

Yeah very strange.

But maybe these talks did take place with the admins, and nothing came of it. In which case I at least understand why the sale happened the way it did.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
But you can work behind the scenes and still have some kind of visible presence. I can't tell you nothing about the guy. Not what games he like. Nothing. Not even something simple. I've been on Era since day one and I've met some cool people here and I can EASILY name several people and what kinda games and movies they like or whatever. I'm just saying that visibility matters. Interacting matters. Having a good time with others matters. Jumping in during a shitstorm and making peace matters.

You are not entitled to know anything about him.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I was a mod for a year and a half. Should I be entitled to it because I was there at the beginning? Should someone who JUST resigned a week ago be entitled to a piece of the pie?

Like I said, there's just too many logistical ways this could shake out that would make it a gigantic headache. Co-ops are not easy to organize or manage.

I guess I'm not looking at it as a "piece of the pie". I was thinking more along the lines of "going forward". Trusted Admins/Mods from the beginning should have had an opportunity to form a board that could take over the responsibilities of running the site if it was getting to be too much for the owner. They could have decided how to keep it running at not for profit levels by either reducing ads, or paying out board members and temp Mods to keep profits to zero.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe he likes Final Fantasy?

I just want to know a few things about him.

His favorite beer.
What he does when he has his favorite beer.
And is it Budweiser?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The speedrun dot com leaderboards were sold off like this too, promises of nothing changing, and now the site is a giant flaming pile of shit so I won't really be surprised if this place goes even farther down the tubes.
I've been on multiple forums that went through this process.

MOBA network can say whatever they want now, but in the long run they are running a business and will do what is necessary to ensure that their business remains profitable. If that means fucking with Era then that's what they'll do.

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like basically every corporate buyout/merger in the history of ever requires the one meeting where the old owners reassure the general population that the new owners love us and what we're doing! They bought us because they want us, not to change us into them! They don't have any plans to alter our operations beyond integrating us into the larger family, but it won't meaningfully change our day to day!

It's almost never actually the case, it's just a mandatory step in the buyout process. After you've been through a couple, nobody really believes it anymore, just gotta keep up appearances to ward off panic.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's literally a giant banner at the top of the site.

Actually, funny enough this banner is extremely small compared to most announcement banners. I barely even noticed it when the other banners are usually unavoidable.

Like we can have huge paragraph banners for dumb gaming polls but this gets like a 5 word banner.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Era (posters and moderation) have a really hard time with comparisons of kind relationships vs magnitude relationships. Like do they not cover similes, metaphors, and analogies in 4th grade anymore?

Ex: the way some moderators circle the wagon to defend other moderators from abuses of power is a 1:1 analogy to police unions in kind comparison, but not magnitude comparison obviously. But any figurative language that illustrates kind but is of a different magnitude will be actioned heavily. Or here, the comparison to free mods filling the rich owners' coffers to slave labor is a completely in-bounds kind comparison (this could be reworded into an Onion headline and no one would bat an eye), which in no way implies moderating a message board for free is as bad as slave labor.

Fun thing though, attacking the analogy from the magnitude angle, even when that's not the comparison being drawn, allows the actual comparison of kind to be ignored. This happens all over the site.
Alternatively, analogies in serious conversations are counterproductive 99% of the time and the outcome is usually that it would have been easier for everyone to spell things out for what they are rather than spend 50 posts debating the analogy. If you know your audience won't get your analogy, don't use one and say what you exactly mean.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I have stopped speedrunning years ago so I didn't know that SR.com was sold off but this explains why the site felt so different when I visited it a while ago for the first time since years.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't blame Cerium for getting a payout. He bankrolled the site and co-owned it until he bought the other co-owners out. He took a financial risk and reaped a financial reward. That's how these things work.

What risk? Like 70-80% of GAF came over and even before that split we knew Evillore was making a ton of money from the forum. This forum was always going to make loads of money from ad revenue.

The mistake was allowing the forum to be owned by one person in the first place, should have not happened and I'm actually surprised we let it happen so easily.

Oct 27, 2017
Fort
This is the beginning of the end, some people see it for what it is, but most are (understandably) still in a denial faze.The dream is over.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
This does worry me, and more than that, makes me a little sad. No gods, no masters. Still, I hope everything works out as well as it can in these circumstances. I don't want the spirit of this site to change

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope things don't change too much, but I'll stick around until they do

no idea how to make a discord channel but id be down to try it. just the cooking OT isnt as active as it used to be and being a chef i wasnt able to post my work as often as i would have liked 😞
If you make one, send an invite my way! I didn't even know we had a cooking OT

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Since it's come up a lot, I just wanted to mention that we did discuss this with MOBA Network and they were emphatic that they are not in the user data business and never will be. They're not going to sell your data. Nothing is going to change about how your data is handled and protected.

It would probably be helpful if you could outline how MOBA is going to achieve the revenue goals it mentions in the press release given the moderators and admins seem to be under the impression nothing will change.

Because that's literally impossible.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is the beginning of the end, some people see it for what it is, but most are (understandably) still in a denial faze.The dream is over.

Some of y'all are being so dramatic. And I say this as someone who regularly gets up on stage and does monologues and ridiculously melodramatic songs.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, a forum being sold doesn't mean anything by itself. If shit starts changing for the worse then it'll be time to actually worry but this by itself? Nah.

Cerium made off with a good chunk of change though. Capitalism at its finest, I can't be mad.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What risk? Like 70-80% of GAF came over and even before that split we knew Evillore was making a ton of money from the forum. This forum was always going to make loads of money from ad revenue.

The mistake was allowing the forum to be owned by one person in the first place, should have not happened and I'm actually surprised we let it happen so easily.

BoyAJ knew this. It's why he tried to buy in, but they didn't let him put cash in during the formation for an ownership stake.

He's also offered to help fund a new forum if that is the way this all goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.