• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Aquire ResetERA
2. Aquire NeoGAF
3. Merge
4. ???
5. Profit

MOBA's plan for Total World Domination is starting to take shape.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, he's right but plenty of other forums have the exact same "Pay to remove ads" structure. It was a fools errand for anyone to believe this site was some small website struggling to pull in cash, especially when this topic has come up in the past.

Again, people were fooling themselves if they didn't think the site was making money. I haven't read anything to ever suggest Era was struggling and there was good precedent from GAF to support the idea that forums make good money with an active userbase (Of which Era has a significant userbase).
Well then that's absolutely worth criticizing, especially when the subscription is framed as "giving back". No idea why you'd then have to go after the guys post count if he makes a valid point

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
It is literally less than 50 posts. If they're a main account then they barely ever used this site and are coming in here to join the angry crowd and stirr shit. If they are an alt account same purpose but they couldn't be assed to speak their thoughts on their main account.
Let's not go down this rabbit hole, k? If you think someone is an alt, report it and I'll look into it.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It is literally less than 50 posts. If they're a main account then they barely ever used this site and are coming in here to join the angry crowd and stirr shit. If they are an alt account same purpose but they couldn't be assed to speak their thoughts on their main account.

Or they lurk? Ever thought about that? Maybe the community can be a little toxic sometimes and you're an example of that at this moment?

Who knows. Maybe it's their alt and if so then man their opinion matters less!

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
postcount elitism is when you know you're dealing with someone not worth your time, and i don't mean the lad with 45 posts who made a solid point.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Again, people were fooling themselves if they didn't think the site was making money. I haven't read anything to ever suggest Era was struggling and there was good precedent from GAF to support the idea that forums make good money with an active userbase (Of which Era has a significant userbase).

Many of us suspected the site was making hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit, and even early in the site's inception, were saying that the site should operate as a non-profit by the community, for the community.

The site's monetization became even more alarming when Cerium bought out the other initial owners and consolidated all the control, rather than those shares being put forward to the community so that the site wasn't owned by a single person (for their lone interests).

That said, I don't see how this is relevant to my post you quoted. Era Clear was emphatically put forward as a paid service so that members could "proudly help keep the lights on." People were not fooling themselves so much as being fooled.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
There's quite literally no feasible way to pay all of the moderators of this site. The "Active Staff Roster" thread says there are 32 moderators. If you were to pay all the moderators something like a minimum wage of $10 an hour at 20 hours a week that'd be over 300k. That also ignores the fact that there is surely a lot of legal work that would be required in administrating these services and also depending on where people are located they'd need to be paid more.
You are assuming they have to be paid 20 hours a week, basically do it as a 2nd job rather than a side job.
What others are saying is that they get paid, it does not have to be full time, it doesn't even have to be 20 hours a week...but just any amount of reasonable compensation. And compensation would bring in accountability, which in turn could potentially improve the moderating quality.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Evilore is dancing with his earbuds on in some club rn playing sad ballads and crying.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
You are assuming they have to be paid full time and work full time.
What others are saying is that they get paid, it does not have to be full time but just any amount of reasonable compensation. And compensation would bring in accountability, which in turn could potentially improve the moderating quality.
My post literally says part-time. And you have to be realistic with the fact that this forum is a legal company, an LLC. You can't just go handing out X amount of money as reasonable compensation. There are wage laws to follow and that's what I meant by administrative expenses. You'd have to hire people to handle the pay roles, hire people to handle legal issues, and make sure you are staying compliant.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
My post literally says part-time. And you have to be realistic with the fact that this forum is a legal company, an LLC. You can't just go handing out X amount of money as reasonable compensation. There are wage laws to follow and that's what I meant by administrative expenses. You'd have to hire people to handle the pay roles, hire people to handle legal issues, and make sure you are staying compliant.
They already have people on payrolls, the tech team gets paid as contractors. It's not like the logistic side of things does not exist at all.
And yes there are wage laws to follow, but you can pay the mods as contractors for X hours of work much in the same way the tech team does. They surely can pay them for 4-5 hours of work a week as contractors and will be within the wage laws to do that. It's not an impossible task or situation.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Napkin math like this is kind of silly as there are a lot of unknown variables. Expenses beyond just potentially paying volunteer mods. One of which is noted in the OP is paying the tech team.
Absolutely, I know that. I only did the napkin math because another user came up with the number of 300k to pay for mods as it being too much (it was the vibe I got from their post), when it is less than half of what the site generated. The point is, 700k/year should and is enough to handle a forum like this, and most users had no idea that the forum was generating this amount of cash. You can call it ingenuity, naivety or something along those lines. It probably is, but it doesn't change the fact that the forum discourse was in a completely different direction - ads to support the forum, Era Clear…

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Where's Zlatan and Abba?

Sweden has so many great treasures, it's impossible to fit all the greatness into a top 3! Alfred Nobel, the Ice Hotel, Swedish meatballs, even Spotify has its origins in Sweden. Sweden is lowkey the best country, and now Era is part of it! Yay to us!

swesui-sweden.gif

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Not everyone is an active speaker on here. I've learned that I have a tendency to put my foot and my mouth at times and risk my account if I don't choose my words carefully, so I tend to post less despite being online daily. I'm sure there are many others like me who have their reasons to not rack up a huge post count.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Sounds cool. I always had a worry this place would shut down entirely, so its cool to know the business will be stable at least for a bit. I'll keep other worries on user experience on the back burner until they need to be looked at.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
What's with everyone here telling the staff that they don't know what they're talking about? As an ardent reader, but rare poster, I've always been very happy with how the staff handles the site, and I'll trust them going forward. If MOBA screws things up over time I'll be very sad, but it's not time to be laimi g that yet. The dust hasn't settled, hell it has barely been made.

Thanks staff and mods for all you do and especially for dealing with today. I hope the transition is smooth and fruitful.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone is an active speaker on here. I've learned that I have a tendency to put my foot and my mouth at times and risk my account if I don't choose my words carefully, so I tend to post less despite being online daily. I'm sure there are many others like me who have their reasons to not rack up a huge post count.
This is completely fine and my post count shows much of the same mentality, but when someone has so very few posts and shows up out of the blue to join the mob mentality of yelling at admins/mods it kind of looks suspicious regardless of the intent. Regardless, an admin called me out for this behavior so I won't press it any further.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I do think is extremely hilarious that they managed to sell a graveyard at such a premium price

Gc9VGQO.png
I kinda know what happened with SalesERA but what happened to XboxERA? Someone also said NintendoERA left. The fuck happened? I'm browsing this site multiple times a day and still didn't read about any of this until after the fact.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Sweden has so many great treasures, it's impossible to fit all the greatness into a top 3! Alfred Nobel, the Ice Hotel, Swedish meatballs, even Spotify has its origins in Sweden. Sweden is lowkey the best country, and now Era is part of it! Yay to us!

swesui-sweden.gif
What the hell. Talking about Sweden treasures and not mention Abba?!?
abba-money-money-money.gif

Unacceptable

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda know what happened with SalesERA but what happened to XboxERA? Someone also said NintendoERA left. The fuck happened? I'm browsing this site multiple times a day and still didn't read about any of this until after the fact.

Ehhhhhh...members of XboxEra and NintendoEra left to make their own sites, but I mean...it's not like people don't talk about Nintendo anymore.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mostly just drama bt prominent users and mods. this place has always been a means to an end: big enough non idiotic video game discussion with a decent amount of traffic. i don't really think anyone is proud to post here or think that posting here means anything other than a penchant for strict moderation on certain things.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagine someone taking their post count so seriously and it being tied to the validity or "importance" of an opinion, but here we are.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure where else I can post this. I just realized MOBA Network has an Overwatch dedicated site. With the whole thing with Blizzard and MOBA buying certain forums it seems. What happens if they merge with a site that share the same values as era. Do you not advertise them? They seem to be about connecting everything.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
If there is no way to adequately pay for the labour required to run a for-profit site...then it shouldn't be a for-profit site. There's no money in soup kitchens, so it makes sense that people volunteer their time. But there is money in selling chicken, so KFC pays people to make it. There is clearly money in internet forums (if large enough), so people need to be paid. If there isn't enough to pay them for the work done, then no one else should be making money off their labour. It's pretty clear-cut, morally.

This and a thousand times this.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I can respect the hustle. Making everyone work for free, then fleecing a Swedish company and pocketing 4.5 mil. Not bad for four years, enjoy retirement.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I feel like the resettlement advisors aren't pulling their weight. We're about to resettle, so what's your advice?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Ehhhhhh...members of XboxEra and NintendoEra left to make their own sites, but I mean...it's not like people don't talk about Nintendo anymore.
Were they just pissed because ERA seems to be leaning more towards Sony or did something bad happen? I sometimes can't really tell which way the gaming side actually leans towards because each camp has their own very loud voices so depending on the topic it can feel like ERA's leaning towards either way.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

swesui-sweden.gif
When I think of Era, I think of a diverse melting pot of cultures, race, and ethnicity. When I think of Sweden I think of…..well you gif sums it up really

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
If you think there's a glut of people who are willing to mod Era, much less to the quality that Hecht does, good on you for being optimistic.

How many mods has this place burned through in 4 years? I'm optimistic because I've seen the turnover, and that no matter who has left there's always someone who has been prepared to take on the mantle.

It's not a dig at Hecht personally. The vast majority of people are easily replaced in their jobs, no matter how good or valuable we are. Myself included.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of sad that each community is splintering off like this. They're going to be weaker being separate, fewer new users coming in, etc.

Each of those communities were undermined and treated like crap in various ways on here.

As someone who mostly used the official Xbox thread, I will say it is better now, but outside of the official threads the same problems exist.

Concern trolling, certain behaviour not slapped down by the mods. Makes reading threads a chore.

People got sick of it and moved on. It really says something when you have to have warnings at the bottom of both the Xbox and Sony threads about meta posting. And this is a forum of grown ass people?!

Sad it had to come to this.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So many people hung up on the money.
I couldn't care less whether he got tree fiddy or 1 billion. I also don't care if it was a smart free money plan or he worked in the sweat of his brow 400 hours a month for four years straight.

The important (and the only important) thing is how much interference will there be from the new owners down the line. And that remains to be seen, whatever they're saying now.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Still digesting all of this but the moderation here has always been a concern of mine, too many with an agenda, too dictatorial and plain unfriendly.

'Selling out' is also a bit of a slap in the face to the skeleton of a community we have here, god knows the direction it takes moving forward, that's a lot of money spent and investors will want that money made back.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Were they just pissed because ERA seems to be leaning more towards Sony or did something bad happen? I sometimes can't really tell which way the gaming side actually leans towards because each camp has their own very loud voices so depending on the topic it can feel like ERA's leaning towards either way.
I'd love to learn what happened because as it is, xbox is doing fine here. I have my suspicions it had to do with pre-launch arguments xbox would be beating PS. (9TF vs 12TF or whatevrr) There were too many heated posts on that subject.

Edit: maybe best not to try and guess.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The questions and concerns early on were pretty reasonable IMO. Of course there's some folks going full tilt as they always do, but most seem pretty level and sincere.

But now...the mods/staff don't need a lecture of labor laws or being treated that they're ignorant of what goes on. It's one thing to wonder how involved Cerium was due to the lack of posts and with little to go on, but it's another thing to argue with the staff who confirm that Cerium has been a part of the discussions on how to manage the site and situations, or outright make accusations to the contrary.

Can't speak towards anything specific for XboxEra since I'm usually only in the GamePass thread, but NintendoEra had prominent active users from SalesEra to where many followed their lead between that situation and the usual community issues of users come in to troll within the guidelines enough to cause problems but not catch bans for it.

Oct 25, 2017
So many people hung up on the money.
I couldn't care less whether he got tree fiddy or 1 billion. I also don't care if it was a smart free money plan or he worked in the sweat of his brow 400 hours a month for four years straight.

The important (and the only important) thing is how much interference will there be from the new owners down the line. And that remains to be seen, whatever they're saying now.
Agreed. Personally, it isn't the money per se. It is the simple fact that the site was more than profitable and could have been easily handed over to the community. Hell, why wasn't this even remotely discussed transparently with the community? This seems part and parcel of one of the largest complaints about Era over the years. No?

People are kidding themselves if they think this will not amount to drastic increases of monetization. Speaking of, remember the days when ads were not intrusive, when ads were reported as being offensive or specifically egregious. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.