• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
I also read a lot of the GDPR as I had to deal with implementation for a number of clients across their services and, from memory, I'm pretty sure that anonymising data grants exemption for the most part. Deleted users have their usernames scrubbed so I'm sure that would provide them a lot of scope too.

Not completely scrubbed. If you delete your account, this quote would still contain your username.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
This site was clearly making plenty of money from ad revenue alone to cover server costs and then some. So why did Era Clear need to exist other than to line the owner's pockets? Why not just say so instead of floating across some platitude laden bullshit? I'm fine with being a member of a site that's owned by some dude, I've been an SomethingAwful member forever, but at least they are fairly transparent about it. This vague community-centric wording is shady as fuck and exploitative considering the circumstances in which this forum was created.

I think this is the main reason I think people are upset from what I've seen in the thread. People seem to be under the impression that this site was founded on transparency, and some kind of sense that it "belongs to everyone". From the whole prominent member fiasco, to how insular the decision making and moderation policies were - this was never the case. But I think they just have a great facade off that it was.

Things here will inevitably change - not drastically at first, but certainly over the next few months etc. From my early times on the internet, I was part of individual owned forums. I never posted on the old IGN boards, or gamefaqs once it was bought over - I preferred the vibe of knowing that in some small way I could have my voice heard to ownership. I don't feel like that will be the case here going forward. I'm interested to see how it shakes out and how the culture here changes.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I didn't even realise this site had an 'owner' so to speak, or that it was run to make profit. Just assumed it was community ran with ads going to cover server / tech costs only. Nice work if you can get it!

Sanatana

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Cerium was involved in most every crisis that ResetEra dealt with in meaningful ways trying to find solutions forward. You can scream into the void all you want, but it's just that: screaming into the void. Anyone who has ever worked with Cerium will tell you otherwise.
The moderators here have said the complete opposite about Cerium. I'm more willing to trust the people that worked closest to him because this statement alone is hyperbolic.
Edit: I missed a lot of conversation that happened the past 15 pages. I'm sorry I said this.

Last edited:

monsterboysp

Oct 30, 2017
What the hell. Talking about Sweden treasures and not mention Abba?!?
abba-money-money-money.gif

Unacceptable

Money, money, money, must be funny, in a rich man's world.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, you're extremely expendable. There is no shortage of people who would step up and take on the mantle. Nobody is irreplaceable

How pleasant. Do you go around in your everyday life telling that to people as well? Co-workers? Retail workers? Family and friends?

I wish people could try to remember that internet people are actually real human beings.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
The moderators here have said the complete opposite about Cerium. I'm more willing to trust the people that worked closest to him because this statement alone is purely hyperbolic.
What? I essentially said the same thing as Nicole.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The moderators here have said the complete opposite about Cerium. I'm more willing to trust the people that worked closest to him because this statement alone is purely hyperbolic.
Uh SweetNicole was a former admin/founder who would know better than most. And haven't seen any staff say anything to the contrary.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Can we celebrate Midsummer going forward? Do we also get a goat made of straw modeled after the one in Gävle around Christmas time? I'd quite like both.

Oh, how's about banana curry pizza? A streamer I watch is always talking up how great it is. Can we get a banana curry pizza party? That would be swell.

Still digesting all of this but the moderation here has always been a concern of mine, too many with an agenda, too dictatorial and plain unfriendly.
(...)
A little bit louder for the people in the back.

Respect is earned, not given.

Also, people unironically suggesting that the money go to the forum posters here... What are you even smoking, because I'd sure like some of it.

Sanatana

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Pacific Northwest
gotta be honest, I find the like "it is wrong that this thief has absconded with the fruits of our labor" arguments very weird

you were posting about video games on the internet. it ain't a job for you, never has been. you shit in someone else's toilet for five years and he sells it to a farm as fertilizer, you're not entitled to the proceeds because you "did the work" and "built the value". we're all very thankful for your sacrifice, but like, come on, get off it. this is his toilet (and it can be deeply, deeply shitty), you're just posting in it.

if the mods (who have been doing, you know, actual unpaid labor) want to get paid, that's an entirely different argument. this shit's real dumb, though
Yeah i brought this up earlier and am frankly confused. It's like saying you should get paid by a video game company for playing their game. This was originally about mods, who ARE working on this forum, getting paid for their labour. It's always got be about "me, me, me!"

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden has so many great treasures, it's impossible to fit all the greatness into a top 3! Alfred Nobel, the Ice Hotel, Swedish meatballs, even Spotify has its origins in Sweden. Sweden is lowkey the best country, and now Era is part of it! Yay to us!

swesui-sweden.gif

Alfred Nobel was a weapon manufacturer, the ice hotel melts every year and spotify exploits artists.

I'm not going to say anything bad about meatballs, though.

Edit:
Oh, how's about banana curry pizza? A streamer I watch is always talking up how great it is.

Oh, this is true! Banana curry pizza is also great! Abba is nothing in comparison.

Last edited:

Fennec

Jan 22, 2019
Moderators aren't paid ?

So much for fighting against unpaid hours of work in the gaming industry…

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Also, put me in the "I didn't know the forum was owned by one guy" camp. Dude should build a shrine to EviLore. lol
I bet we already have people here setting up forums, hoping to cash in on the next exodus.

Sanatana

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Pacific Northwest

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I just have no interest in forum drama. I appreciate the hell out of those who volunteer their time to make this place work, even when they make mistakes. And I don't begrudge the owner of the site selling it for a profit.

It will suck if the ownership change impacts the site, but I'm not going to presume anything.

He's talking about me, by the way! :oP

And OF COURSE I'm losing money - we have absolutely no revenue stream on dayonepatch.com (the #1 site on the internet) whatsoever! It's the only purely Marxist-Leninist-Maoist gaming site on the internet!
It's because I stopped posting there, isn't it?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
op taking advantage of a situation by catching a withering community and making out like a bandit.

respect

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Lot of assumptions, character attacks and just perspective-less posts in here. Most of y'all have no clue about Cerium's life outside of Era. None of you know what he's doing with the money and if he shared it, or is going to. And frankly it's none of your business unless you somehow financially contributed to ResetEra and were not compensated. On top of that I doubt any of you are at business leader level positions and understand the absolute stress that comes with, you know running a business. Or did you just think Era was gonna be run out of his pocket in perpetuity? I mean sure eat the rich and all of that I get it. Mind you 4.5 Million isn't even rich, that's middle class equity. 2017 was 4 years ago. People, lives, circumstances change. I'm not going to indict Cerium for wanting to do what's best for him, which at the end of the day is what anyone would do.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you think there's a glut of people who are willing to mod Era, much less to the quality that Hecht does, good on you for being optimistic.

Not attempting to push the expendable point, but you might be surprised. I offered to be a mod here at the beginning and have put a bug out here and there. I'm highly engaged here. I have less time now than I did 4 years ago, but I would still like to help if it meant being able to support the community and moving towards positive change. Well...not sure after this acquisition, but up until yesterday.

I imagine there's quite a few people that feel this way. If the issue that keeps coming up around town for months now is the mod culture is in need of some new perspectives, I can't be the only one that would be willing to lend to that if you look.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The staff and former staff are undoubtedly very supportive of Cerium, universally so. It's interesting and unexpected considering the optics of the announcement.

Speaking from personal experience, Cerium's been a constant voice of support from my time on staff. Especially when it came to the topic of trans issues, he made sure my voice was always heard and taken into account. Literally from the moment I was approached about becoming staff I recall the topic coming up, and Cerium going out of his way to ensure I felt comfortable handling trans topics.

I can't speak for all staff members (especially the ones before and after my time), but I imagine many staff members have a similar positive experience here.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
For the accusations of sidestepping you sure do a lot of it yourself lmao. Are you really so dense you don't understand that ringing the bell of mods being paid rings hollow based on the communities past actions? Because you sure are sidestepping that behavior and are trying to frame it as some kind of valid and constructive criticism. Then trying to put on a holier than thou mantle of "all labor should be paid"

So when you're getting yelled at for not having a ps5 in stock that $10-15 an hour pay makes it all better? Makes you love coming in and doing that job everyday? That money just washes away the main problem you have with the job? Because that's basically what you're saying lol. I don't understand why you can't see the reason most mods don't wanna be paid is because then they're basically "forced" to interact even when their mental health isn't in the best spot. And once again, if the majority of mods agreed to not get paid why are we giving a shit in the first place? It's so goofy to try and force people to care on their behalf

So you're argument then is that mods should not get paid and that paid and trained modship would not benefit the site and community? Because in your previous post you said that labour should be paid. And the entire thing that started this conversation was the statement that you can be critical of something and still believe that things like pay and training would be beneficial to people you're being critical of.

And I'm sidestepping? What an I am sidestepping exactly? I've already said that we can acknowledge that people were being mean to mods and there can be no criticism that isn't just mean, which seems to be the core of your argument (or maybe, at this point it's not clear what you're even arguing).

As far as making it better, eh, who said anything about that? The whole point is that people should be paid for their work. To be honest, I don't really care if a lot of the mods didn't want to get paid or not. A lot of the people I work with hate unions, but I'm still pro-union because I know it's a net positive for labor. And you know what, most people I work with are kind of incompetent, like some of them are just terrible workers. That's me being critical of them. Yet I still think they should be paid better and have worker protections.

To be honest, I have no idea what you're even trying to argue here. Because in one post you say labour should be paid, and now in this one you're saying that paying mods here would not be benefiting. So why don't you clearly state what it is you're actually wanting to say, because to be frank, it really just feels like you're arguing just to argue especially when you're just straight making up weird comments that no one has made like getting paid more would help mental health which no one said anything like this (or at least me in this conversation). So what is it you're trying to say? Just say it plainly and simply: what is the core of your argument?

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Or did you just think Era was gonna be run out of his pocket in perpetuity? I mean sure eat the rich and all of that I get it. Mind you 4.5 Million isn't even rich, that's middle class equity. 2017 was 4 years ago. People, lives, circumstances change. I'm not going to indict Cerium for wanting to do what's best for him, which at the end of the day is what anyone would do.

ResetEra has over 45 million forum posts and about 55,000 members. This apparently brought in about $700,000 in revenue through ads over the past year, which the company claims amounts to an 80% EBITDA profit margin.

if anything he did what EviLore should have done and cashed out before the site crashed and burned

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Not attempting to push the expendable point, but you might be surprised. I offered to be a mod here at the beginning and have put a bug out here and there. I'm highly engaged here. I have less time now than I did 4 years ago, but I would still like to help if it meant being able to support the community and moving towards positive change. Well...not sure after this acquisition, but up until yesterday.

I imagine there's quite a few people that feel this way. If the issue that keeps coming up around town for months now is the mod culture is in need of some new perspectives, I can't be the only one that would be willing to lend to that if you look.
Yeah! I'm with you! Being a mod sounds sexy as hell right now. What's the worst that can happen? You can post everything with a DBZ meme and I'll post everything with a Star Wars meme or something

Sanatana

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Honestly if mods here are saying that they don't mind being volunteers, then let them be. I don't see why people here are insulting that decision or deriding them. This is coming from someone who thinks they should be paid. Respect their decisions yall.

Status
Not open for further replies.