• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea, because a few weeks ago I was getting called a fascist and a cop. Now people want me to be called a fascist and a cop for an hourly rate.
I don't envy that.
Sadly, I suspect it's always going to be that way when there are some with the power to ban and others who will disagree with bans against them or the lack of bans against others. I know I've certainly been frustrated in the past by a ban although I hope I've never been too much of a jerk about it.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory Point of Comparison
I am happy to put aside all the times my Black ass was compared to a legitimate force of oppression of my people for a generous donation.
moderators have been called forum cops since the beginning of time. it comes with the territory because the job is basically "policing" the userbase for infractions and "sentencing" them accordingly. If you believe that comparison is beyond the pale, that's on you for imputing far more meaning and baggage onto the term than what the speaker probably intends.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If you believe that comparison is beyond the pale, that's on you for imputing far more meaning and baggage onto the term than what the speaker probably intends.
I asked for this all to be water under the bridge and compensation for my services here.

Instead, you chose crackery.

I don't understand y'all sometimes.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many mods that say it's fine, while at the same time they are quietly hoping that some money will trickle down to them.
Let's see what happens in the coming weeks/months. popcorn.gif

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew this many people here cared about me!🥲☺️

Oct 31, 2017
Just now saw this.

So now my favorite community on the internet is owned by a media constellation catering to one of the most detestable sectors of the gaming market that I absolutely loathe with a burning passion?

Sounds great!

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Soooo are we ever going to 'meet' the new owners or their representatives? Who is in charge of Era right now like who is the person that calls the shots or whatever

Who is the General manager of Era etc?

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The mods have made it clear time and time again that they have no love for this community.
No, no. You misunderstand.

I have no love for some individuals.

meme_tenemos_bugs_bunny_x2x_crop1592610693382.jpg_673822677.jpg

I don't hate this entire community.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Soooo are we ever going to 'meet' the new owners or their representatives? Who is in charge of Era right now like who is the person that calls the shots or whatever

Who is the General manager of Era etc?
I still am. That was part of the deal.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Also it's been almost 30 minutes and absolutely none of you who were concerned about our financial well-being have offered to send any tips my way.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
If you believe that comparison is beyond the pale, that's on you for imputing far more meaning and baggage onto the term than what the speaker probably intends.
Bold of you to tell a Black woman to her face that it's ackshually her fault for taking offense to an offensive comparison.

Jaw-droppingly embarrassing, but, still, bold.

The mods have made it clear time and time again that they have no love for this community.
Right, they're only doing this for the mone.... wait

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Ok. I know it is early days and such but I think there probably needs to be like a heres whats happening going forward type of post. Separate from this thread I mean.
I'm sure at some point we will do something like that, but that specific point was in the OP. :P

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
It's fairly obvious that there will be significant changes here. A large profit driven corporate entity does not pay $4.5m for an asset which it sees as central to their growth strategy and remain hands off.

There'll be no incentive to ban racists, sexists and bigots etc when the key metrics our new corporate overloads will be measuring are "engagement", "membership numbers", "revenue"and the drive is to evidence ROI.

I do understand the OPs position but as others have pointed out, I'm both sceptical and deeply concerned.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
After 3,000 posts, not a single person saying we should be paid has dared to drop an actual figure or job description they think would be fair.

Anyone want to talk realities or is this just exercise? Getting paid has serious implications.

How much would mods have to be paid to:
  1. Have it be enough to be seen as fair.
  2. Have it not be enough to draw contempt.
  3. Match the responsibility attributed to moderating Era.
  4. Not bring negative complications to people's lives (taxes, insurance issues, etc.)
Do people want these to be full-time jobs? Do they come with insurance? Benefits? Paid time off? 401K?

Lay it out for me. I'm here to listen.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It's pretty impressive that the staff and previous owner managed to run the site for four years without any change whatsoever, and only now, with new ownership, will there be any change. It's almost magical.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's fairly obvious that there will be significant changes here. A large profit driven corporate entity does not pay $4.5m for an asset which it sees as central to their growth strategy and remain hands off.

There'll be no incentive to ban racists, sexists and bigots etc when the key metrics our new corporate overloads will be measuring are "engagement", "membership numbers", "revenue"and the drive is to evidence ROI.

I do understand the OPs position but as others have pointed out, I'm both sceptical and deeply concerned.

The incentive would be to keep the majority happy, there would be no ROI if you catered to the few over the many.

I really don't understand why this has blown up so much. Like, the new owners would be stupid to drastically change what's working.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
After 3,000 posts, not a single person saying we should be paid has dared to drop an actual figure or job description they think would be fair.

Anyone want to talk realities or is this just exercise? Getting paid has serious implications.

How much would mods have to be paid to:
  1. Have it be enough to be seen as fair.
  2. Have it not be enough to draw contempt.
  3. Match the responsibility attributed to moderating Era.
  4. Not bring negative complications to people's lives (taxes, insurance issues, etc.)
Do people want these to be full-time jobs? Do they come with insurance? Benefits? Paid time off? 401K?

Lay it out for me. I'm here to listen.

Cohhcarnage pays his Twitch mods ~$11/hr + they share in whatever their users tip the stream. That seems relatively fair to me especially since in all honesty moderating a big Twitch stream and dealing with the Twitch audience is probably more annoying than ERA by a long mile tbh.

I don't see why insurance/benefits/PTO/401K come into this. We're not talking about putting people onto set schedules like its a professional job, just pay people for the time they put in to improve and keep the website afloat.

Taxes will be a thing, yeah, but that's by necessity at least in the US since it's income.

Quite honestly not getting paid to moderate such a huge profitable thing is gross, it's gross when other top Twitch streamers don't pay their mods and it's gross here. I personally assumed y'all were paid.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The incentive would be to keep the majority happy, there would be no ROI if you catered to the few over the many.

I really don't understand why this has blown up so much. Like, the new owners would be stupid to drastically change what's working.

Taking a calm, rational approach to things has never been Era's strong suit. We're more of a "the sky is falling", everybody panic kinda forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.