• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super excited to join this. Question, would you all consider Vampyr a Horror game? I feel the decisions the game forces you to make(lives/dies) after getting to know people well can lend itself to a....different kind of horror.

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Super excited to join this. Question, would you all consider Vampyr a Horror game? I feel the decisions the game forces you to make(lives/dies) after getting to know people well can lend itself to a....different kind of horror.

If you feel that Vampyr qualifies as a horror game then feel free to vote for it. :)

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Amnesia: The Dark Descent remains a shining example of horror done well, which has no doubt left an influential mark on the industry to this day. [Gold - 3 points]

Outlast is a great game that pulls the same ideas as Amnesia: The Dark Descent which remains terrifying to experience to this day. Its' only letdown is the ending. [Silver - 2 points]

Layers of Fear is an excellent psychological horror game that manages to bring a new take to the genre without resorting to generic tropes. The DLC is also excellent, although some puzzles can get a little obtuse. [Silver - 2 points]

Resident Evil 7 is a well-done reboot of the series with a top-notch atmosphere, great plot and solid puzzle design. Its' ending is a letdown, being slightly too action-oriented, which stands in stark contrast to the rest of the game. [Silver - 2 points]

Resident Evil 4 is a classic survival horror with well-toned gun-play, iconic locations and a solid plot to boot. [Silver - 2 points]

Outlast 2 is still a solid horror game, and is still far above the majority of horror games released nowadays, but the more generic themes hold it back. [Bronze - 1 point]

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is still a good followup to Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but the game feels more muted. [Bronze - 1 point]

SOMA is a good horror game with a unique setting and gameplay system; even if it can get frustrating. [Bronze - 1 point]

Penumbra: Black Plague is a classic game which has not aged the best, in my opinion; but memorable gameplay and scares give it a bronze. [Bronze - 1 point]

Alien Isolation is a solid survival horror game that is held back by frustrating difficult and repetitive enemies. [Bronze - 1 point]
<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

<Silver - 2 Points>
Outlast
Layers of Fear
Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil 4

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Outlast 2
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
SOMA
Penumbra: Black Plague
Alien Isolation
<Voting End>

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
All these Amnesia votes has me curious to try out the collection on PS4. I think it was part of plus awhile back because I have it, but don't remember buying it.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Really excited to see this. Seeing this list just reminds me that I still need to play Silent Hill...

Gold:
20121210031017!ResidentEvil1.jpg

Resident Evil (REmake) - Gamecube
This game is fantastic. It basically invented the age-old trope of 'horror game in spooky booby trapped mansion'. Some may argue that the controls hinder the game, and while I agree they take time to get used to, they help enhance the feel of the game. You never truly feel in control of the situation, always forced to proceed with caution and carefully managing your resources. It is still to this day one of the best looking Gamecube games due to its excellent pre-rendered backgrounds. Jill is great, Chris is great, this game is great.

Silver:
Eternal-Darkness-Box-Art-2.png

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Gamecube
More so than maybe the other games on this list, I love this game for the over-arcing story that it tells. Chapters of the game take place in the modern day in a New England mansion, but the chapters take place in 4 or 5 history settings, revealing the overall danger facing the world. You get to see some of the same areas across history and see how the omnipresent threat remains throughout time.

236606-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-limited-edition-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - PS1
People disagreed with me that this was an RPG, and I'm willing to bet that they'll disagree that this is a horror game. However it has vampires! Zombies! Mummies! Dracula himself! It doesn't get much more classic horror than this. The game itself is phenomenal. Play as the Son of Dracula as you attempt to fight off your father and save the vampire hunter Richter Belmont. It helped define a genre, and has one of the biggest post-game twists ever. It without a doubt should be on the list.

Resi4-gc-cover.jpg

Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube
Forget your stupid mansion and your stupid tank controls, Leon Kennedy is here to fight parasites and save America.

Amnesia-The-Dark-Descent-Cover-Art.png

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - PC
I was obsessed with this game when it came out. I've only been enamored like that with a handful of other games, so even though I've cool from this game, it still holds a great place for me.

Bronze:
Luigis-mansion-box-art.jpg

Luigi's Mansion - Gamecube
This isn't a joke entry, I love Luigi's Mansion, and I think it qualifies as horror. This game is basically PG Resident Evil after all. I love exploring the various sections of the mansion. Every room felt unique and lived in. Personally, I think the underrated strong aspect of this game are the portrait ghosts themselves. They added such character to the game that was simply missing from Luigi's Mansion 2. I have always been fascinated with their story.

250px-Dead_Space_Box_Art.jpg

Dead Space - PC
Dead Space is horror af. Grotesque space aliens killing everyone. Some sort of nefarious force causing the former crew of this ship to go crazy? A protagonist suited up in a creepy suit himself? Sign me up.

Parasite+eve+1.jpg

Parasite Eve - PS1
This game also definitely counts as horror. This game can be gross. Basically Square's answer to Resident Evil, Aya Brea must fight high school Biology to attempt to save New York City from itself. L-literally.

Silent_Hills_logo.png

P.T. / Silent HIlls
I'm going to be honest, I've never even played P.T. I didn't have a PS4 at the time, and now it looks like I'll never get the chance to. It just made that much of an impression on me that I'm willing to place a 15 minute demo as one of the best horror experiences in gaming.

Left4Dead_Windows_cover.jpg

Left 4 Dead - PC
Left 4 Dead is a game where you spend your first playthrough carefully managing your resources with your teammates, then spend the rest of your lives running around pretending you're rockstars while hitting zombies with guitars.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Resident Evil REmake

<Silver - 2 Points>
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Resident Evil 4

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Luigi's Mansion
Dead Space
Parasite Eve
P.T.
Left 4 Dead
<Voting End>

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Resident Evil 7

<Silver - 2 Points>
Resident Evil 4
Outlast
Until Dawn
Eternal Darkness

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Resident Evil Remake
Splatterhouse
Resident Evil 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Friday the 13th
<Voting End>

Splatterhouse captures the essence of 80s slasher flicks, complete with a Jason lookalike, a house possessed by poltergeists, a meat cleaver, and loads of jump scares. It was a game that impressed the heck out of 12 year-old me, with its spooky synth soundtrack and bloody colorful sprites. The reimagining it received a couple decades later didn't do this horror classic justice, but the original always holds a special place in my heart.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I dont play too many Horror games, but I do enjoy them from time to time.

Wish I could add P.T. to my list, but I just cant bring myself to do it lol. The demo was awesome, but it was just that, a demo...

1. Alien Isolation: This game was awesome imo. Yea, the back half can get a bit daunting, mainly due to the Androids (Normal Joes I think they were called). But everything else was perfect. The setting, the level design, and especially the Alien.

2. Until Dawn: I initially wrote this game off when it first came out. Then I saw the Giant Bomb play through and fell in love with it. The characters alone sold this game. The branching paths were really fun also to see what might happen down the road that you werent expecting.

3. Alan Wake: Man this was a cool game. Wish we had gotten a better sequel than the DLC thing we got instead. Atleast Remedy is still trying new and different experiences, even if they arent all as compelling as Alan Wake was.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Alien Isolation

<Silver - 2 Points>
Until Dawn
Alan Wake
The Evil Within
Deadly Premonition

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Dead Space
Resident Evil 4
The Last of Us Remastered
Resident Evil 5
Dying Light
<Voting End>

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed the lack of Five Nights at Freddy's in here. Are the games secretly trash?
This might be a controversial opinion in this thread, but no I don't think they're trash at all. the FNAF games really are "essential" in their sub-genre of B-movie, low-budget horror schlock. For what they set out to accomplish - as opposed to judging them by the same standards you'd judge something like Resident Evil or Silent Hill - I think that they actually do a pretty good job. Plus, the lore, believe it or not, is actually decent and much better than you'd expect.

Now all that isn't enough for me to actually vote for one when I have only ten slots. But, if I had twenty slots to work with, sure FNAF4 or something might be on the low end of that.

---

On a semi-related note (i.e. stuff that's conspicuously missing), Little Nightmares still pretty MIA. A bit surprising to me, but it's also a newer game (well, 2017) and I know a lot of people prefer to let things simmer before putting them on lists like this.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Having trouble narrowing down my list and ordering it (for the sake of points), but I expect to have it done before the weekend.. There are some games that truly resonate very well with me that I feel may not get a lot of support here. It does warm my heart to see Kuon mentioned though.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
This is a neat thread, I will look forward to the results. I will have to decide if I will make my own list because I have played a fair amount of horror games but have also noped out of a bunch.

Question, is Silent Hill 2 for xbox an acceptable way to play that game? I don't have a ps2 anymore and everyone says avoid the hd collection.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
On a semi-related note (i.e. stuff that's conspicuously missing), Little Nightmares still pretty MIA. A bit surprising to me, but it's also a newer game (well, 2017) and I know a lot of people prefer to let things simmer before putting them on lists like this.

I actually started and beat Little Nightmares a couple days ago. I was really close to putting it on my list. It's a great little game. But I just felt the other titles on my list were just far stronger as a whole horror experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Question, is Silent Hill 2 for xbox an acceptable way to play that game? I don't have a ps2 anymore and everyone says avoid the hd collection.

On an Original Xbox, sure. The game has emulation issues on 360 as documented here (warning, spoilers though) by The Horror is Alive around 10 years ago.
It's mostly to do with environments not loading textures correctly so some areas and objects appear grey untextured. The flashlight appears behind the player too.

I noticed the lack of Five Nights at Freddy's in here. Are the games secretly trash?

I like the FNAF games. They're hard to put on the top though, I found the best moments surrounding the series came with fans trying to decipher the story and the fan creations like The Living Tombstones songs.

Otherwise I think they're great games that fit in the genre well, people just shouldn't go in expecting a full game.

Manekast

Oct 25, 2017
Byron Bay
<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>

Resident Evil VII: Biohazard

<Silver - 2 Points>

Bloodborne
Alien: Isolation
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Remake

<Bronze - 1 Point>

Demons Souls
Resident Evil 2
Luigi's Mansion

<Voting End>

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I was about to come here just to rep Alien Isolation and SOMA and was delighted to see both mentioned often, nice!

I didn't think Bloodborne and The Last of Us initially, but seeing them mentioned I chose to give my votes to those too. Was going to put Alien at first, but after including Bloodborne (as it should be), it has to sit at first.

I'm voting for less than ten games too, I feel like I'm not a horror fan of any kind so these are games that are special to me that happen to be considered horror, not because.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Bloodborne

<Silver - 2 Points>
Alien Isolation
SOMA
The Last of Us
Vanpire the Masquarade: Bloodlines

<Bronze - 1 Point>

<Voting End>

Last edited:

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
1. Amnesia: The Dark Descent -The game that most scared and disturbed me in a basic primal sense. That water sequence... those torture chambers... shivers.

2. Resident Evil: Remake - It's probably the best game of the list if we're talking about mechanics and design. The mansion is one of the best settings in a horror game ever.
3. Silent Hill 2 - The sense of dread and opression is almost unbearable. Great story.
4. SOMA - I think it's the best story of this list. The hopelessness of it is what makes it scary.
5. Dark Souls - The dark and opressive atmosphere is what sells the horror of it.

6. Silent Hill - It has some of the best sequences and moments of horror gaming. The school sequence, when we first visit the rust world thing, is stuff of legends.
7. Alien Isolation - Like Amnesia, one of the most scary games in a primal level.
8. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl - The game itself is built in an opressive atmosphere, but those sequences in the underground labs... fucking hell.
9. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - Psycological horror done good, even if you're not scared by that, those scary pitch black sequences should break you. Broke me at least.
10. Penumbra: Black Plague - Lovecraftian horror added with claustrophobia. A big no no for me.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>

<Silver - 2 Points>
Resident Evil: Remake
Silent Hill 2
SOMA
Dark Souls

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Silent Hill
Alien Isolation
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Penumbra: Black Plague
<Voting End>

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Friendly reminder that a little more than 80 hours remain to vote. Let's end with a bang on ResetEra's inaugural horrorific countdown.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Bloodborne
One of my favorite games of all time, regardless of genre. The intense distillation of the Souls experience, action-horror in it's purest form. The sounds that enemies and bosses make are so nerve-wracking, that sometimes I would rush to kill something just to make it stop. Of course, there is the mid-game twist where the specific sub-genre of horror takes a turn, and that makes it all the more amazing.

P.T.
Absolutely the scariest game I've ever played. If this were a contest to find the scariest game instead of the "essential" games, I have no doubt P.T. would win. I couldn't play it alone for more than two minutes. The night I actually managed to beat it, I had four friends in the room, all passing the controller and contributing to solve the puzzle. No idea how people can play this one alone in the dark with headphones.

System Shock 2
This game was definitely a shock when I first played it back in the day. I think it was on a demo disk that I got with a magazine. I was intrigued by the mix of RPG and FPS elements, and I do love sci-fi. I had no idea that after the training I would immediately be plunged into a horrifying (at the time) experience like this. A classic and a must-play.

Resident Evil

My very first horror game! I think this might be the case for a number of people in this thread. I got my PlayStation in 1997, and this was the game I bought with it. My brother and I stayed up really late on weekends playing through the entire thing until we knew it inside and out. A lot of the cheesy dialog has become part of our lexicon. See some kind of red stain on the ground while we're out jogging? "I hope this isn't Chris' blood!"

Eternal Darkness

Speaking of staying up late to play horror games as a kid/teen, playing Eternal Darkness at 3am with the lights out is absolutely going to mess with you. There were so many weird things that could happen when your sanity meter gets low. The one I remember the most was a silhouette of a fly crawling across the screen that I could have sworn was real (it wasn't). There are youtube videos of all the different effects, but you should probably play the game to find out.

Clock Tower
Not in my top 5, but I'm giving it an honorable mention here because it's the only game that ever made me run home from a friend's house at night, instead of walking like a normal kid.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Bloodborne

<Silver - 2 Points>
P.T.
System Shock 2
Resident Evil
Eternal Darkness

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Silent Hill 2
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Resident Evil 2
Clock Tower (psx 1997)
Deadly Premonition
<Voting End>

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic and hoping not to derail, but is there any Horror OT for gaming?
Not to my knowledge (unfortunately). There was some very brief discussion about making one but it was decided there wasn't enough interest.

On a related note though, do any of you all know if there's a Discord for Horror ERA? I'd like to join if so.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bump for ballots - get them in if you haven't already! I think the finished product is going to look pretty damn good, you all will like it quite a bit.

PensivePen

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to those responsible for making this thread and everyone who contributed to it, reading your lists has been a treat, and I even learned about a few new games. Horror is my favorite genre of all time, when it comes to games, movies, literature, music, anything! Despite that I still consider myself to be lacking in a lot of essential areas, but I hope I can still suggest people some things they'll find enjoyable. I tried to fill my list with some of what I feel to be the most important games in the genre, but I also wanted to toss in a few unusual picks at least to hopefully get people to try something new. And I also added in a few honorable mentions that didn't make the cut, but are still very much worth trying for their quality or doing something new or unusual in the genre.

1. Bloodborne
Bloodborne is the finest game on this list, both as a video game and in its devotion to its chosen form of terror. It pushes the cosmic horror genre in new ways and is not shackled by the tradition of Lovecraft or his peers. Its themes, ideas and setting are all wholly unique, drawing upon familiar motifs but breathing new life into them in a tale that questions the fragility of our own humanity. Its art is as depressingly beautiful as it is morbidly gruesome and its gameplay is nearly perfectly polished and finely tuned. It is far from the scariest game on this list, but as a work of both horror and game design it's nearly peerless.

2. Resident Evil Remake
The crown jewel of the Resident Evil franchise when it comes to instilling that purest sense of terror. Here is where the core tenets that hte original game laid down five years prior shine the strongest. Planning traversal routes, managing your supply of resources, trying to determine whether it's worth it to spend that bullet or risk the damage from dodging an enemy. Art direction is at an all time high, to this day one of the most beautiful horror games ever made, and when played on a CRT in its original format I'd daresay its visuals are just a few ticks away from flawless.

3. Silent Hill 3
Another masterpiece of art direction, Silent Hill 3 is a tour de force of psychologically draining set pieces, as you move from locale to locale. There's almost always something to see, and every area seems to have multiple unique rooms full of disturbing imagery that'll make you want to look away. The narrative may not be the series best, but its somber tone is a perfect fit for the game. On hard difficulty here the puzzles are damnably difficult (if a bit unreasonable at times).

4. Deadly Premonition
A janky mess when it comes to performance, this game is nonetheless one that's worth experiencing for the amazing atmosphere it exudes. Definitely among the more 'pleasant' experiences here, Deadly Premonition straddles the line between supernatural horror, murder mystery and drama, taking heavy inspiration from Twin Peaks while injecting its own sense of humor and storytelling. The town of Greenvale is one of the most intriguing video game settings I've ever had the joy of spending time in, full of dark secrets and colorful characters. At times as charming as it can be disturbing, by the time the game is over you'll be sad you've got to leave. The Xbox 360 version is recommended by myself, but the PC version is an acceptable alternative using Durante's patch.

5. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
A game that is frankly a bit of a mess, it nonetheless succeeds in being a very enjoyable and very atmospheric retelling of several Lovecraft stories spliced together, and mixed in with concepts from Chaosium's beloved tabletop rpg. It may not be the best at anything it does, but the sheer variety of ideas on display and length of the game is something you rarely see in a horror product, and it can incite some truly genuine terror at times. With a new Call of Cthulhu game on the horizon it's the perfect time to revisit this great title.

6. Dead Space 2
Dead Space 2 may lose out on some of the terror of the first, but it heavily refines the gameplay elements and elevates the title to be one of the best third person shooters ever. And it's not like it isn't still a pretty scary game to boot, full of some real over the top gore. Like its predecessor before it the game takes the groundwork laid by RE4 and transports it into a sci-fi setting, full of some truly fun gameplay set pieces and a wonderful sense of style. This series also deserves big praise for how fantastically it integrates its UI features into the game world.

7. Fatal Frame
Despite this being the only game in the series I've played it easily earns a spot on my list. Fatal Frame is one of those games that proves you can have a really scary game that's still a ton of fun to play. Lining up charged shots as you deal with enemies with all manner of unique attack patterns and who can show up at virtually any time is a blast. And the game's ammo and upgrade systems are fun to toy with. Despite that I still felt myself dreading enemy encounters just about every time they cropped up.

8. The Evil Within
Shinji Mikami's return to horror after a long hiatus, and one of his most divisive titles. Despite a mixed reception I truly love this game, which has some marvelously weird and hauntingly beautiful art direction, coupled with a combat system that brings some unique ideas to the world of horror third person shooters. The match system in particular is truly fun to experiment with and adds new dimensions for hte player to think about in combat when it comes to positioning. The game's biggest let downs are its technical performance, which isn't as much of an issue if you have a modern PC, and some shoddy hit detection problems. Still, I think its worth a shot, if you can handle a little clumsiness in your games I think there's a good chance you'll come to like this one.

9. Luigi's Mansion
Nintendo's take on a horror game, and as expected it embraces the sillier and more whimsical side of the genre. You're unlikely to find any real scares here, but the atmosphere and world design are still a nice treat for a fan of the genre, pulling from all sorts of familiar horror concepts to create a fantastically charming little game. It's on the short side, so perfect for a quick play, and the gameplay is a ton of fun, as is trying to find every secret and aim for a high score.

10. Anchorhead
Perhaps the finest text-adventure ever made, Anchorhead wears its inspiration on its sleeve, taking Lovecraft's seminal tale of Innsmouth and transplanting it into a more modern setting, replete with terror both personal and external. More than twenty years after its release this game was still able to draw me in easily with its atmosphere. Anchorhead is completely free to play from several sources (though you have the option of supporting it on steam) and so no one has an excuse not to at least give it a shot. Dim the lights, sit down in front of your computer and let yourself get absorbed into this masterpiece.

Honorable Mentions:
Martian Gothic: Unification - A unique and rather interesting little game in the classic Resident Evil style. Transplants the traditional survival horror model into a sci-fi setting and has a interesting story for its vintage.

The Lurking Horror - Another classic text adventure in the Lovecraftian style. Not quite as good as Anchorhead, but still has a really fantastic atmosphere. If you decide to play it make sure you look up the manual that came with the game, as it has vital info for progressing.

Uninvited - A fun visual adventure game and great choice if you're looking for a classic horror game to play.

Castlevania (series) - While they may not be particularly scary, most of the Castlevania titles draw upon classic horror motifs. The original Castlevania and its remake are a wonderful treat for fans of the classic universal monsters. And Symphony of the Night is an outright smorgasbord of horror beasties set in a fun gothic locale. Plus they're all a ton of fun to play.

The Legacy: Realm of Terror - A dungeon crawler with a Lovecraftian style that encourages the player to avoid combat as much as they partake in it, and awards more experience for solving puzzles and progressing than fighting. Quite a difficult game to get into, but a really enjoyable one once you learn its nuances.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Bloodborne

<Silver - 2 Points>
Resident Evil Remake
Silent Hill 3
Deadly Premonition
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Dead Space 2
Fatal Frame
The Evil Within
Luigi's Mansion
Anchorhead
<Voting End>

Last edited:

redmoss

Aug 19, 2018
Fairly standard entries; I think the only odd one here for me is Gargoyle's Quest. It's not a traditional horror game, but certainly horrifying, claustrophobic and lonely - everything from the creature and world design to the music has no counterpart on the system and I still think it holds up to this day. Alien: Isolation wins because I've never had a game reduce me to such a gibbering wreck. Took me months to complete.

Of course this listing is how the games personally affected me at the time I played them rather than some kind of idea of 'objective' horror.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>

<Silver - 2 Points>
Resident Evil 2 (PS1)
Eternal Darkness
Gargoyle's Quest (Gameboy)
Dark Seed

<Bronze - 1 Point>
P.T.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow Of Chernobyl
Silent Hill 2
Dead Space
Clock Tower (PS1)
<Voting End>

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I don't have time for lengthy explanations so for now I will just list them and go with my initial gut and maybe I'll come back and talk about them individually.

Gold
Resident Evil 2

Silver
Dead Space
Resident Evil
Deadly Premonition
Corpse Party

Bronze
Dead Space 2
Silent Hill
Friday the 13th The Game
The Evil Within 2
The Last of Us

Honorable Mentions
Parasite Eve
Until Dawn
Haunting Ground
Every other Resident Evil game lol

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Disclaimer: I'm only listing games I have played. I know of several games that I'm fairly confident would rank better than some of these, but I would find it unfair to include them based off of theorycrafting instead of actual experience. Now, on to the list!

10. The House of the Dead 2 - An odd choice given the nature of most games on this list, but I think this game perfectly encapsulates the feel of B-horror movies with its terrible voice acting, gratuitous gore (for its time, at least), and overbearing message. Plus, it's just plain fun shooting up zombies and rescuing civilians, and the game allows for multiple playthroughs with its different paths and endings.

9. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - My favorite of the PS1 classics. The formula that has been defined by its predecessors really comes into its own in this game, and the addition of a constant predator by the name of Nemesis adds a sense of urgency to the entire experience since he appears in so many places. The game is somehow able to toe the line between horror and action magnificently, where improved battle mechanics and the ammo crafting system still doesn't take away your sense of vulnerability. Oh, and this is the first game of the series that really lets you explore Raccoon City, something that was basically only teased about prior.

8. Corpse Party - For a game featuring cute anime characters, you wouldn't expect to see them get subjected to horrifying experiences. This juxtaposition defines the game for me, and it runs with it all the way until the very end. With its amazing audio design, gripping narrative, and enjoyable adventure-lite gameplay, I can recommend this to anyone who is looking for something that fills them with constant dread, despite the small bits of fanservice.

7. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Any player who goes into this game blind is in for a treat. This game screws with your mind like no other, where both the player character and you, the player, are constantly doubting if what you're experiencing is real. The battle mechanics themselves are also very solid for a new IP, and anyone who likes the puzzle solving aspect of other classic horror games will find some comforting familiarity here.

6. Resident Evil Remake - Classic survival horror can't get better than this. I really don't know what else to say other than that so moving on lol.

5. Luigi's Mansion - Of course I'm going to have Luigi's Mansion high up in my list! No one over the age of 12 is going to be scared by this, but this game really does sell the idea of a scared Luigi exploring a creepy mansion to find his missing brother. The ghosts (especially the portrait ghosts) have very memorable designs and the game is surprisingly atmospheric with excellent music composed by Kazumi Totaka. The game still holds up today in terms of gameplay and design, which is why it is being re-released on 3DS very soon. Anyone with a penchant for ghost hunting will find a fun experience here!

4. Danganronpa - While the horror element is only one part of a complete package, I think this game pulls it off well enough to be put onto this list. The idea of 15 high school students being put into a death game where one of them has to kill someone else and get away with it would instill anyone with fear, and despite liking its sequels more, I think the first Danganronpa embodies that sense of horror better than the other games, even if it may only be due to the novelty of such a scenario. Besides that, the game is a very well designed adventure game that takes inspiration from Ace Attorney and 999, but with an emphasis on visual flair and presentation. I feel that this game has something for everyone, so if any of what I said intrigues you then give it a go.

3. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors - You are trapped with 8 other people on a sinking ship. You just escaped a flooding room and have just been told to escape the ship within 9 hours. Failure to follow the rules will result in your excruciating death. This opening sets such a strong tone that reverberates throughout the entirety of the narrative, and it is absolutely worth it to see it through to the end. Additionally, the characters are all wonderful to interact with and the puzzles you have to complete to progress are just thought-provoking enough to be engaging. Absolutely everyone who is an adventure game fan needs to play this, and any horror fans will certainly be satisfied with what they experience as well.

2. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - Of course I'm going to have another Luigi's Mansion high up in my list! While the first game of the series introduced a lot of new ideas, Dark Moon takes those ideas and refines them to make a snappier experience, plus it introduces lots of ideas of its own to keep things fresh. The multiple manors and mission structure may turn off some people, but it also allowed the developers to explore different settings and ways to traverse around the environment. One of Dark Moon's most unique strengths (compared to most games that would qualify for this list) is its multiplayer, which is an extremely fun cooperative ghost hunting romp. If there is anything Luigi's Mansion 3 takes from this game, I hope it's that.

1. Haunting Ground - Out of all the games I've played, Haunting Ground is the ultimate game of playing a weak, defenseless character in a survival horror setting. Any time you get spotted by your pursuers, a sense of panic washes over you as you desperately try to make your escape. That said, you are not completely defenseless, as you have a companion named Hewie, a dog you freed from captivity near the start of the game. At first, he may act indifferent to you and outright ignore your commands, but as the game progresses and your bond between him and you increases, Hewie becomes an indispensable asset to your survival, even if the best way of dealing with the people chasing you is still to run away. Just make sure you treat him right! With all that said, the game has lots to offer for anyone looking for a good game to play outside of the horror elements, with a good and well-paced narrative, engaging puzzles to solve, and an environment that rewards you for exploring (whether it be items or even additional hiding places). This game was made by Capcom while they were dominating at the horror genre during the PS2-GC-Xbox era, so you know you're in for a good time here.

<Voting Start>

<Gold - 3 Points>

Haunting Ground

<Silver - 2 Points>

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Danganronpa

Luigi's Mansion

<Bronze - 1 Point>

Resident Evil Remake

Corpse Party

Resident Evil 3

The House of the Dead 2

<Voting End>

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Parasite Eve: Very good game and it has a horror atmosphere. I think the PS1 graphics and no voice acting aids it.
Resident Evil remake: IMO this is the game with the best horror atmosphere from the setting to the music and villains.
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis: Scary music and you have the inescapable monster Nemesis chasing you around the game.
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard: A return to form for the franchise with the horror becoming the main emphasis again. Good game even though it could have been a new IP.
Silent Hill: Great graphics, atmosphere, music etc. for a horror game. I actually preferred it quite a bit over Silent Hill 2.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Parasite Eve

<Silver - 2 Points>
Resident Evil (2002)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Silent Hill
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Resident Evil (1996)
Resident Evil 2
The House of the Dead 2
Silent Hill 2
Dino Crisis
<Voting End>

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just a reminder folks that there is 18 hours left to vote! :)

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10. Anchorhead
Perhaps the finest text-adventure ever made, Anchorhead wears its inspiration on its sleeve, taking Lovecraft's seminal tale of Innsmouth and transplanting it into a more modern setting, replete with terror both personal and external. More than twenty years after its release this game was still able to draw me in easily with its atmosphere. Anchorhead is completely free to play from several sources (though you have the option of supporting it on steam) and so no one has an excuse not to at least give it a shot. Dim the lights, sit down in front of your computer and let yourself get absorbed into this masterpiece.
1. Haunting Ground - Out of all the games I've played, Haunting Ground is the ultimate game of playing a weak, defenseless character in a survival horror setting. Any time you get spotted by your pursuers, a sense of panic washes over you as you desperately try to make your escape. That said, you are not completely defenseless, as you have a companion named Hewie, a dog you freed from captivity near the start of the game. At first, he may act indifferent to you and outright ignore your commands, but as the game progresses and your bond between him and you increases, Hewie becomes an indispensable asset to your survival, even if the best way of dealing with the people chasing you is still to run away. Just make sure you treat him right! With all that said, the game has lots to offer for anyone looking for a good game to play outside of the horror elements, with a good and well-paced narrative, engaging puzzles to solve, and an environment that rewards you for exploring (whether it be items or even additional hiding places). This game was made by Capcom while they were dominating at the horror genre during the PS2-GC-Xbox era, so you know you're in for a good time here.
Man I really need to play these. Especially Anchorhead, always looking for a great text-adventure, the similarity to Innsmouth is just gravy.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One game for each franchise? If that's not the case I'd put also put REmake and RE4 in there. I guess this is fair tho.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Bloodborne

<Silver - 2 Points>
Resident Evil 2
Dead Space
The Last of Us
Killer7

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Manhunt
Silent Hill
Dino Crisis
The Evil Within
Alien Isolation
<Voting End>

re_chief

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Essential Horror Games

Gold

Resident Evil Remake

8QrTgsg.jpg

The Resident Evil Remake (which I first experienced on my trusty Gamecube) is a perfect marriage between compelling horror and entertaining gameplay. Tonally, the game exudes creepiness -- it features its fair share of jumpscares, of course: seemingly-dead zombies that rise up as you pass them, faster and more lethal than ever before; hideous bioweapons that break down doors and skitter out of vents; and the now-infamous zombie dogs that leap through windows and over fences -- but there's also plenty of instances of the more subtle, creeping horror that worms its way into your heart and doesn't leave until weeks after the game is over: journals filled with the musings of hapless groundskeepers and scientists who slowly realize that they'll soon be among the mindless, walking dead; run-ins with colleagues and team members that leave you wondering if you can trust them; research notes detailing horrific experiments that might just be lurking around the next corner. After you've finished your play session and put down the controller, it's difficult to stop yourself from checking behind shower curtains and in closets on the off-chance that there might be some hideous thing hidden just out of sight.

However, in spite of the much-maligned "tank controls" -- which, fortunately, have been made optional in subsequent re-releases -- Resident Evil also succeeds more broadly as a video game. There are a number of elaborate puzzles you must solve to progress through the mysterious mansion you're exploring: collect-and-combine style affairs reminiscent of those found in LucasArts point-and-click titles; areas where you have to extensively interact with the environment to progress, flipping switches, pushing boxes, and rearranging bookshelves to reveal hidden doors or passages; and -- my personal favorite -- simpler fare made more challenging by the presence of some kind of threat: escaping a booby-trapped room before the ceiling collapses and crushes you to death, or sealing an underwater observation area before a mutant shark shatters the glass and swallows you whole. The combat, while simple by the standards of more modern games, effectively ratchets up the tension: the fact that ammunition and supplies are so limited means that every shot counts, and neglecting to keep track of your ammo could cause you to enter a lengthy reloading animation at the wrong time, leaving you helpless as the zombies and monsters close in. And even in the year 2018, it's easy to appreciate why the game was considered to be such a looker in its heyday -- while the graphics aren't anywhere near as groundbreaking as they were at launch and the animations are a little stiff-looking in our mocap-heavy modern era, it holds up well enough that you won't cringe when you boot it up.

Are there more modern horror games with superior mechanics to the REMake's? There certainly are. Are there games scarier than this one? You bet -- but every horror game that came out after Resident Evil owes it a debt, and, unlike many other games considered revolutionary, this one more than holds up today. That's why the Resident Evil Remake is my Gold Essential Horror Game.

Silver

Siren

dKvBLhk.jpg

Known variously as Siren and Forbidden Siren depending on where and when you bought it, this game makes my list for two primary reasons. The first, of course, is that it is terrifying. The game utilizes the unsettling tropes of Japanese horror to great effect and often makes you feel just as uncomfortable as you are scared, whether you're frantically running and hiding from an insane, gun-toting police officer, or stalking through a thick mist, armed with a simple rifle but terrified to use it and attract the attention of an entire town's worth of gibbering, psychotic lunatics. The nonlinear narrative, which sees you jumping from one protagonist to the other and experiencing key events at different times over a period of three days, often leaves you confused and unsettled and keeps you constantly guessing as you try to solve the mystery of why the town of Hanuda's citizens seem to have simultaneously gone mad, drawn to the blood-red sea by a klaxon that sounds at all hours of the day.

The other reason is that Siren features a really interesting and unique mechanic known as 'sightjacking'. The game leans very heavily on a common survival horror trope -- that it is often better to avoid confrontations than to waste meager supplies and ammunition on your foes -- and aids you in sneaking past your enemies by allowing you to see through their eyes as they stalk about searching for you. You can swap from foe to foe as if you were changing channels on a psychic television, enabling you to keep track of their positioning and also get a better idea of the layout of the area that you're in -- an enemy skulking around at the top of a hill can unknowingly give you a bird's-eye view of the dense forest you're trapped in; or, if you're on the exterior of a building, you can sightjack a person on the inside to learn what awaits you behind the door. Sightjacking is obviously a much more limited system than, say, hacking into security cameras or viewing enemy positions on a radar, but its ambiguity does a lot to enhance the horror of Siren and makes the game stand out as a fairly unique survival horror title.

Clock Tower 3

0FekIKJ.jpg

While I can't honestly say that Clock Tower 3 has aged especially well -- it wasn't exactly a looker even when it released in the early 2000s -- I still appreciate it for its place in the history of gaming: when a lot of other horror games were putting you in the shoes of special forces officers or hardened military vets, Clock Tower 3 dared to make its protagonist a peppy, utterly-nonthreatening schoolgirl with extremely limited means to defend herself. Players must guide Alyssa on a horrific journey through time as she works to save the souls of the damned by outwitting and outfoxing their murderers, all while piecing together her family's tragic and sinister history. As Alyssa only has a bottle of holy water with which to fend off her enemies, running and hiding is key to surviving, as is making use of special items like rings of temporary invisibility. Near-misses from her foes' weapons will cause Alyssa's panic meter to spike, and if it hits its peak, she'll lose her composure and begin to scramble clumsily away from them, inadvertently setting herself up for an inevitable killing blow.

In spite of its mediocre graphics and its ambitious-but-cheesy plot, Clock Tower 3 is still fun to revisit due to its interesting mechanics and the feeling of helplessness that it so successfully evokes.

Haunting Ground

LhkSUJY.jpg

Haunting Ground is undoubtedly a scary game, even if its story is a mess and the various antagonists you face off against are utterly bizarre -- but the real reason that I've chosen to include it in my list is that cute pooch in the above picture. His name is Hewie, and he is your constant companion throughout your hours-long attempt to escape the creepy castle you've found yourself in. Hewie is fairly sharp as far as AI companions go, even by today's standards. If you train him well -- by praising him when he does what you want and scolding him when he misbehaves -- he'll become an obedient and useful ally, distracting your foes, discovering hidden items, and providing much-needed moral support as you're chased around by the castle's unsettling denizens. Treat him poorly, however, and he'll wander off, refuse to obey your commands, and ultimately become more of a hindrance than a help. I don't think I've ever played a game where I felt more like I was training an actual dog, which is impressive when you consider the sheer number of canine sidekicks that have popped up throughout gaming history.

If you like horror and doggos, Haunting Ground is definitely worth revisiting.

Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location

qzIkYcV.jpg

Horror-comedy is a fun little subgenre. Using humor to break up the tension of an otherwise-horrifying game can be a useful tool for making new scares feel fresh; conversely, an amusing moment at the right time can throw you off your guard just before a heart-stopping jumpscare. By the time Scott Cawthon released Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location, he'd had several games' worth of time to refine his horror-comedy chops, and it shows: whether a cheerful, automated voice is happily informing you that, yes, you will be belly-crawling across a room inhabited by a deranged robot that will kill you if it hears you make the slightest noise, or your helper 'bot's increasingly-frantic entreaties for the monstrous, animatronic bear stalking you through a parts and service room to "go back to sleep" are falling on deaf and fuzzy ears, you'll find yourself chuckling as frequently as screaming while playing through this ambitious point-and-click horror experience.

FNAF: Sister Location is a fine game to play on its own, but longtime fans will enjoy the many wink-and-nod moments that reference or expand upon the franchise's lore. I particularly enjoyed the secret 'bad ending', which caps off with a final-boss-style encounter that leans heavily on the mechanics of the series's first game.

Bronze

Parasite Eve

D0LIgWK.jpg

While Parasite Eve's scares tend to be more muted and subtle than those of the other games on my list, this is definitely still a game that exudes an unsettling and uneasy tone: cutscenes feature flesh melting off of bone and animals mutating into hideous monsters, and gameplay often involves trekking down narrow hallways and dark alleys and pumping bullets into revolting beasts that just won't die. While action- and survival-horror games are more common than horror-RPGs, Parasite Eve is a part of a sub-subgenre that is nevertheless important to the history of horror in gaming -- after all, the Famicom's Sweet Home, often considered to be a proto-survival-horror game, is itself an RPG -- and you'll definitely step away from the game feeling uncomfortable in your own skin.

Dino Crisis

fU0l3dK.jpg

There are many respects in which Dino Crisis could accurately be described as "Resident Evil, but with dinosaurs" -- but it is nevertheless an effective, frightening, and competently-made horror game. My favorite thing about Dino Crisis is the way that it incorporates branching paths into its story. There are various plot points where protagonist Regina can choose to side with one of her two constantly-bickering teammates -- the gung-ho, shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later Gail, or the more brainy and technically-minded Rick. Aside from influencing which of the multiple endings you'll achieve during your playthrough, this also leads to different gameplay scenarios: following Rick's plan will generally involve more puzzle-solving and less encounters with hostile dinosaurs, while agreeing with Gail tends to lead to shoot-'em-up scenarios that require you to fight your way through gauntlets of prehistoric predators. This is a fun way to accommodate the tastes and interests of a broader swath of gamers, and it adds a layer of replayability to the game that I really appreciate.

mafBSrn.jpg

With the possible exception of Clock Tower 3, I'd say that Eternal Darkness has probably aged the worst out of any of the games on my list -- it was originally developed as a Nintendo 64 game before being switched over to the Gamecube during its development, and it shows. Nevertheless, I'd be remiss not to include this game due to the sanity system alone: in addition to a red health meter that tracks how close your character is to dying, and a blue magick meter that shows how much power you have available for spellcasting, there is a green meter that indicates your character's mental state. The sanity meter lowers as you meet eyes with eldritch monsters and witness seemingly-impossible events, and soon things begin to happen that make you, the player, question your own perception: bugs seem to crawl across your television screen, your save file appears to spontaneously delete itself, or a splash screen pops up that thanks you for playing the Eternal Darkness demo. These "sanity effects" are so numerous and so creative that I was utterly fooled by them on more than one occasion during my first playthrough of the game, and I can honestly say that no game before or since has caused me to experience dread on such a personal level.

Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny

IhXMjuA.jpg

Like Resident Evil 4 and its copycats, Onimusha 2 is more of an action-horror game than a horror-action game, but the spirits and demons you face off against as you play it are still fairly creepy and unnerving. My favorite thing about this game, though, is the almost dating-sim-esque component that takes place in the hub town of Imasho: there, you can spend gold you've earned on gifts for NPC allies that appear throughout the story, and giving the right gifts to the right people can influence the game's narrative arc and difficulty. Lavish a friend with the appropriate presents, and they'll pop up later on to help you take down tough enemies; neglect or misunderstand them, and they might ignore or even betray you. While other games would later refine and expand upon this basic idea, Onimusha 2 was a relatively early adopter, and there's undoubtedly a certain charm to giving bouquets of flowers, exotic fruits, or "fancy paper" -- whatever that means -- to hardened and battle-tested warriors.

Doom 3

bmOXJyG.jpg

The Doom franchise has had a lot of success with its recent return to its fast-paced, action-packed roots, but Doom 3 will always be my favorite game in the series. This was my first experience with first-person horror, and the level of immersion I experienced when I initially played the game -- at a friend's house, on his gaming PC, with the lights off and the headphones on -- really can't be overstated. Doom 3 was a graphical powerhouse at the time of its release, the voice acting is more than solid for its era, and it managed to deftly weave together lots of gameplay elements that have since become staples of the horror genre: crew logs and voice diaries that you can play back as you wind your way through dark tunnels and corridors, in-game computers with their own user interfaces that you can manipulate at mousepoint without sitting through loading screens, and seamless action-to-cutscene transitions all help to make you really feel as if you're fending off demons on the surface of Mars, flashlight in one hand, BFG in the other.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Resident Evil Remake

<Silver - 2 Points>
Siren
Clock Tower 3
Haunting Ground
Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Parasite Eve
Dino Crisis
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
Doom 3
<Voting End>

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
1. Bloodborne - Yes, Bloodborne is horror. It is in fact the best representation of cosmic horror in all of gaming, and its shift from more traditional horror to Eldritch terrors is masterfully done. But not only does it cleverly subvert Lovecraft, it is a damn fine videogame in its own right. Fantastic level and encounter design are tied to wonderful lore, tragic characters and gorgeous art direction. It can be be properly nerve-wrecking as well. From the chanting of the Winter Lanterns to the spider room, from being rushed in the Chalice Dungeons to the sound of Brainsuckers lurking in the dark and from the ghosts that appear in Cainhurst Castle to the chandelier that comes crashing down in Upper Cathedral Ward; there is more than enough on display to make sure you're always on edge. One of the greatest games ever made.

2. SOMA - Peter Watts' hard sci-fi novel Blindsight is one of my favorite novels and the work of this Canadian author was a major inspiration for Frictional's underwater adventure (along with China Miéville, Philip K. Dick and Greg Egan). If you like your horror to be more on the existential side you owe it to yourself to play this game. It asks questions anout the self, free will and conciousness and it made one hell of an impression on me with an ending that lingers in the mind for a long time.

3. Dead Space 2 - Space horror is the best horror and while many might prefer the first, I think the second game is the better game of the two. It is more varied (in terms of enemies, locations, weapons and suits) and as such less predictable. It ties wonderful encounter design to beautifully realized environments, incredible sound design and some truly spectacular set-pieces. The way it ties into the first is wonderfully done. The ultimate blend of horror, sci-fi and action. How I wish this franchise was still alive and kicking.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Bloodborne

<Silver - 2 Points>
Resident Evil 4
SOMA
Dead Space 2
P.T.

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Dead Space
Alan Wake
Until Dawn
The Last of Us
Left 4 Dead
<Voting End>

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
re_chief These are fantastic writeups and excellent choices to boot. Definitely going to check out Siren, apparently it has a PS2-on-PS4 classic port.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
There's a couple of very notable horror games I still need to play that I feel like would make my list, so my list might be different in version 2.0 of this thread next year. I am going mainly for games that chilled me in the moment and continued on and stuck with me on a deep level. Games where the gameplay and experience felt inseparable.

Gold Vote: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Horror is not the first, the second, or even the twelfth genre you think of when you think of genres Nintendo is most experienced with on their resume. But this game is absolutely the definitive psychological horror game in my opinion. Frequently quirky but genuinely unnerving at times, it's a solid gem that I would love to see a remaster or sequel happen for.

2 points: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. This was the first visual novel I ever played, and to this day the best of them. The story was engrossing, and the atmosphere provided a sense of urgency, tension, and terror to each puzzle that most visual novels can't come close to providing.

2 points: Resident Evil 4. Some may say this is primarily an action game and is one of the least scary RE games. I beg to differ personally, as I find to be just as intense as other games in the series. Even if the atmosphere is less "dark" and "claustrophobic" most of the time, it still achieves jumpscares and tension-building. Also the chainsaws are memorable enough to make the list.

2 points: Until Dawn. This probably has the most startling moments of fear and lasting impressions of violence and gore on this list. Even if it is loaded with QTE events, those QTE events all have huge consequences.

2 points: The Walking Dead Season 2. The first season is great. It's a great exposition, great storytelling. Unpopular opinion, but I liked season 2 even more. My ending was just emotionally devastating, and I constantly felt moderately panicked for Clem and her companions.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>

<Silver - 2 Points>
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Resident Evil 4
Until Dawn
The Walking Dead Season 2

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Dead Space
The Evil Within
Resident Evil 7
The Walking Dead Season 1
ZombiU
<Voting End>

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I guess its my turn to finally post my ballot! I picked the games that made an impact on me, whether they were incredibly scary or I just had a serious connection to. I tried to stick to one game per series, but... well.. you see... my favourite series kind of bled in, in many ways. :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iMXjnYy.png

Resident Evil 2

This game is one of my favourite games of all time. I've played it countless times, mapped out the whole game in my head, I know the puzzles like the back of my hand. I genuinely get so much joy from Resident Evil 2 that I don't tire replaying it to this day. This game is iconic, and brought us the birth of some of the best and more interesting Resident Evil characters.

Not only that, the bossfights are exhilarating as they're no walk in the park on your first encounter, and the music is tense, foreboding and at times generally filled with dread as you try to take down the monsters of the RPD without dying.

WuM1sgM.png

Resident Evil Outbreak File #2

I could've chosen between Outbreak File #1 or File #2 here as I feel like they're extensions of the same game, however the reason I chose File #2 is because it was the first one in Europe to have Online Play. Outbreak is a spin-off Resident Evil game where you co-operate as 4 citizens of Raccoon City where you attempt to escape dangerous scenarios (2 other players when playing with the AI, 3 other players online.)

Now, since Resident Evil 2 is my favourite horror game, Outbreak has to be my second. These games introduced Online Play into one of my favourite series following the classic RE formula with twists, and it really shone through. The game is jam packed with fun little scenarios with a lot of difficulty levels with enemy, item and puzzle changes throughout the chapters; hundreds of unlockables from costumes to characters to movies, music and artwork.

The original game servers are dead but the community lives on in fan created and maintained servers you can play using the Japanese copies of the game. I adore this game so much, it was the first game I played online on console and I have so many memories with it.

v0iSHHa.png

Project Zero 2 / Fatal Frame 2

Project Zero 2 comes next as the game introduced me to one of the scariest games I had ever played at that point of my life. The main characters are twins and wind up in a scary village filled with terrifying and blood thirsty ghosts. The unique fighting mechanics of using a camera really took me by surprise and I fell in love with Mio and Mayu's journey through Minakami Village.

The game also has an unlockable challenge mode, a bunch of costumes a new chapter after playing on the hardest difficulty with multiple endings.

i8ZpqaV.png

Silent Hill 3

Out of every Silent Hill game I feel like 1, 2, 3 or Origins could've ended up on my list. But the reason I chose 3 was because of how much I loved the continuation of the story after 1 and how much I love Heather. The game is creepy as hell and I love the varied environments as well as the nods to SH1 and SH2.

Heather is a realistic representation of a teenager thrown right down into the depths of hell, she can be abrasive but she's human. I adored that Team Silent created a female character as the protagonist for 3.

6xtnS3P.png

Forbidden Siren 2

I don't think many people played Forbidden Siren 2 as it was exclusive to Europe and Japan, but it's everything you'd want if you played the first game.

Not as notoriously hard? CHECK. A better and less convoluted level select? CHECK. A better story? CHECK. More varied environment than a village? CHECK. I loved everything about Forbidden Siren 2, the game built upon the first game in the best kind of ways and really upped the bar for what the series could do. It's a shame it wasn't released in North America otherwise I really think more people would be able to play this wonderful gem.

X4QSXpi.png

Deadly Premonition

Deadly Premonition is the most polarising game I've ever played. Not only is its quirkiness fantastic, the game is beautiful. It's very heavily inspired by Twin Peaks, the premise is of a private detective named Francis York Morgan who investigates a murder mystery in a small town where everyone knows everyone. At certain areas of the game he is transported to another 'dimension', so to speak, where he encounters who he's been looking for - The Raincoat Killer.

York also talks to himself a lot, specifically referring to someone he calls Zach. The game is bizarre, and yet the story is fantastic.

gd5jQPP.png

Resident Evil 7 VR was truly one of the scariest games I've ever played. It changed everything. The first moments of this game are incredibly foreboding and sickening. The rest of the game is equally as fantastic and revitalised the Resident Evil series for those that had left it behind with RE5/6.

I love this game and if you liked the original Resident Evil's I can't suggest this one enough.

bE1wSwb.png

Gregory Horror Show

Gregory Horror Show is another game exclusive to Europe and Japan. It's a cute horror game with a charming artstyle developed by Capcom based on a TV Show of the same name. The premise is of the protagonist finding Gregory's House, a hotel in the middle of a foggy forest where they do not remember how they got there. When the player spends a night at the hotel, they realise they are stuck in the house after Death tells them they need to escape. The player has to collect 12 lost souls to that are kept by those that live in Gregory's House to escape.

The monsters of the hotel have patterns set where they complete their own routes and / or tasks in the hotel. The player has to complete puzzles to collect souls whilst also avoid being caught by the guests of the house. It's a wonderful hidden gem. It's filled with some nice references to Resident Evil as well.

5AdqahQ.png

IMSCARED

Just play this game. Don't look into it. Just play it. There are two versions of it, a free to play game that was roughly an hour long released several years ago on the developers website, and the full version of the game the developer created which is available on Steam.

The game is a pixelated 3D horror but that doesn't stop it being absolutely terrifying. Seriously, play this game.

n8Q4noH.png

This is one of the scariest games I've played. At least, when it first released. This was (and still is for many!) king of scary games. I came from Penumbra series to this, and it's such an evolutionary jump from Frictional's last project. I was especially excited for what Frictional Games had coming next - and they delivered. This game popularised stalker horrors, it's seriously that good.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Resident Evil 2

<Silver - 2 Points>
Resident Evil Outbreak File #2
Project Zero 2 / Fatal Frame 2
Silent Hill 3
Forbidden Siren 2

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Deadly Premonition
Gregory Horror Show
IMSCARED
Amnesia: Dark Descent
<Voting End>

Thanks again to everyone whose voted so far, I'm looking very forward to posting the results and it's been a blast so far. Hopefully everyone finds something new they get to experience this October. :)

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Dino Crisis

<Silver - 2 Points>
Dino Crisis 2
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil 4

<Bronze - 1 Point>
P.T.
Red Haze
Resident Evil 3
Dead Space
<Voting End>

While I won't go into much detail on anything in the silver and lower brackets since they all amount to just "This is what I like". I will talk a bit on why Dino Crisis is in the vote spot. This is mostly for the fact that 19 years later, it still hold the title as the best dinosaur game and the best dinosaur horror game to boot with virtually no competition. While it can be argued the genre specifically is rather niche. The fact that it has held this title for so long is quite the accolade and well worth the top vote. For further details you can check out my numerous Dino Crisis related threads.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
1: Resident Evil 4 - One of the greatest games of all time. While it strayed away from the jump scares of the earlier games, it improved the control scheme, and made the actual playing of these games far more appealing. The village at the begining of the game was astonishing. I played just that part for hours. The game also had an excellent length, particularily for games of that time.
2: The Last of Us - When this game was released, it was called 'Sony's RE4' and it's not hard to see why. Naughty dog's cinematic chops are on full display for this game, but they managed to make engaging gameplay and a killer (no pun intended) atmosphere. It's probably the best zombie story we've seen in a video game.
3: Eternal Darkness
4: Alan Wake
5: Resident Evil 5 - When it debuted, it was considered a bit of a dissapointment from the magnificence of RE4. But it wasn't dissapointing, it was just it's own thing entirely. The single player is a bit of an aquired taste, where the player struggles with the AI partner, but in co-op is where this game really shines. Like RE4 before it, the game is criticized for not being scary, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.
6: ReMake - It was stunning to see what a difference a few years could make when this released. We'd seen games remade before, but for most people this was the most extreme case we'd seen to this point, and the improvements were staggering. It's not often that a remake is universaly lauded as better than the original, but this game is, and for good reason. And the original was awesome, this game kept everything that was great about it, cheesy dialogue included, and improved the controls, the graphics and the gameplay. To this day this is considered the gold standard of remakes.
7: Castlevania Bloodlines - It would seem weird not to have a Castlevania on this list, as Castlevania was essentially the original horror franchise. I chose Bloodlines because for me, the horror elements are on display here more than any other game. The large characters, excellent gameplay and graphics that still hold up today make this a must play game.
8: Gears of War 2
9: Walking Dead Season 1 - Talking about this game now is bittersweet with all the issues swirling around Telltale right now. Even before those had happened, the glut of output they had put out had started to all run together and seemed stale. But this game while not the first episodic Telltale game, was their first hit. The first game that really resonated with people. The game that introduced us to Clemontine and gave us the sad story of Lee Everett, still holds up today as a great story-driven game.
10: Luigi's Mansion

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Game 1 Resident Evil 4

<Silver - 2 Points>
Game 2 The Last of Us
Game 3 Eternal Darkness
Game 4 Alan Wake
Game 5 Resident Evil 5

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Game 6 ReMake
Game 7 Castlevania Bloodlines
Game 8 Gears of War 2
Game 9 Walking Dead Season 1
Game 10 Luigi's Mansion
<Voting End>

PensivePen

Oct 25, 2017
Infra Arcana is another game I'd like to recommend people which I completely forgot to put on my list, and may well have taken a spot. This is one for traditional roguelike fans. In place of ASCII it uses very understated, but distinctive tiles that may be more welcoming to new players (and the option for ASCII exists for purists) and really effectively translates roguelike mechanics into a horror experience, urging you to continue marching forward as your sanity dwindles and you delve into a dungeon full of creatures pulled from Lovecraft's stories. It has pretty great use of a few simple sound effects that really shocked me at times. Playing with headphones is definitely recommended. A very tough game though.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fun! I'll bite. I have a long history with horror games so picking a top 10 will be hard, but I think I can do it.

Top Pick:
This is possibly my favorite game of all time and while it could be argued that it is a platformer or some other genre, I consider it a horror game because of the atmosphere and mood the game portrays. Its a very different thing from something like P.T. obviously, but I believe a game can be horror themed and still qualify for this list and SOTN definitely qualifies in that regard. Where else do you fight a boss composed of dead bodies, or a boss who is a giant rotting corpse with killer flies buzzing around it?

Silver Tier:
Resident Evil Remake
This takes everything I loved about the original release and makes it better. Any concerns of how the original might age poorly are addressed here and the result is a timeless videogame that has all the elements of a horror classic you could want.

Haunting Ground
While Haunting Ground is not a flawless game, it has an excellent setting that is convincingly creepy in a way that makes my skin crawl to this day. The villains are very memorable maniacs who relentlessly pursue Fiona and keep the player in a constant state of anxiety which is amplified by the fear of having Fiona panic if caught off guard. Should this happen, the player loses control as she sprints in random directions and becomes prone to tripping and entering a vulnerable state where she is easy pickings for the pursuers. I'd also like to add that Hewie is a great companion and a much needed comfort in an otherwise lonely environment. This game needs a re-release very badly! Come on Capcom!

Friday the 13th (2017)
This game was such a pleasant surprise and remains one of the best contributions to horror from this generation. Getting chased by Jason used to make my heart race. While it may not race now as I am acclimated to the game, I still get that uneasy feeling because the game is great at sucking you into its world and making you feel like you are there. I also enjoy the single-player Virtual Cabin experience because it serves as a fun look at the history of the franchise while also serving as a sort of blend between an escape room and the style of games like Myst or Riven.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
This is my favorite Silent Hill game and I know that is a fairly controversial statement, but it is true! I love the story and the way the game feels like it is evaluating you. Playing Until Dawn would at times remind me a lot of this game and that's a great compliment for Until Dawn (also on my list). I would also like to add that the ending I got was heartbreaking in a way I did not expect. I find that games often like to present a dark finale where the message is one of hopelessness, but in this case it is a message of sad personal tragedy based around a very relate-able experience.

Bronze Tier:
I love these games but I am out of time to write about all of them so I will just say that narrowing down my big list of favorites to these final 5 entries was no easy task! If there are any you haven't played, I encourage you to do so! Even Rule of Rose which is quite expensive now is still a very unique experience and I think anyone who can appreciate atmosphere and hidden meaning will really enjoy it. You can always re-sell it if you find you aren't compelled to keep it.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>

<Silver - 2 Points>
Resident Evil Remake
Haunting Ground
Friday the 13th 2017
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

<Bronze - 1 Point>
The Evil Within
Silent Hill 2
Until Dawn
Resident Evil 4
Rule of Rose

<Voting End>

Oct 25, 2017
Subnautica (Gold):
One of my favorite games in recent memory and probably also the scariest game I've ever played. I definitely have a fear of the ocean and particularly the deep ocean, yet I couldn't stop playing this one.

Deadly Premonition (Silver):
One of my all-time favorite games! Twin Peaks inspired, great dialogue and characters, just plain memorable stuff.

Resident Evil 4 (Silver):
A long-time favorite, even better with the HD texture mod. Simply a ton of fun to play, even if it's not particularly scary.

Eternal Darkness (Silver):
One of my favorite games on the GameCube and one of the first horror games I really got into. It still holds up really well to this day.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (Silver):
A fantastic depiction of mental illness is what drives this game. Perhaps not as replayable as others on this list, but it still deserves its rightful place.

Bronze:
Resident Evil 7
Doki Doki Literature Club
Alien Isolation
The Cat Lady
Walking Dead: Season One

Honorable Mentions:
Resident Evil 5
Left 4 Dead 2
Sanitarium
REmake
Resident Evil 2
Downfall
Paratopic
Zombi U
Pony Island
Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2
Alan Wake

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Subnautica

<Silver - 2 Points>
Deadly Premonition
Resident Evil 4
Eternal Darkness
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Resident Evil 7
Doki Doki Literature Club
Alien Isolation
The Cat Lady
Walking Dead: Season One

<Voting End>

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
5 and a half more hours of voting remain. If you had interest in this thread now is the time to figure out your ballot. If you are crunched for time reminder your five descriptions/reasonings don't have to be particularly lengthy. A single sentence for your top five games will do. :)

futurememory

Oct 27, 2017
Arg, I completely misjudged, and I have WAY less time to compile this than I thought I would! I really want to play a bunch of spooky/spoopy games this October; had this voting cycle been a bit later, this list would have been very, very different.

A bit of a preface, which might sound odd: I'm terrified of horror games. The traditional survival horror, jump scare-filled fright fest is a literal nightmare. They actually give me nightmares. So why am I making a list? I actually really love enjoy spooky, supernatural and horror-adjacent games. I know that many of the entries on my list are probably under the radar, weird, or vaguely horrorish. I figured that I'd try my hand at this anyway just to highlight some oddities (even if they have no shot of winning anything).

So don't necessarily view this as an "Essential Horror" list from me. View it as a collection of curiosities that others might find interesting to play.

Higurashi: When They Cry
A city kid moves to the sleepy village of Hinamizawa. At first, Higurashi starts off slow. Very slow. It's a visual novel with no choices - oftentimes referred to as a "sound novel." Keiichi, the protagonist, goes to school. He befriends the local group of girls, who quickly become his close friends. They play games, and pranks. Things are slow. It appears that you're playing a harem VN. And then things start going... sideways. The village has a sinister secret. Many multiple, sinister secrets. Things aren't as they seem, and Keiichi's world begins to unravel around him. I won't get into too many spoilers, as the story is coming that needs to be experienced. This is the longest game on the list, but my favorite. The visuals leave a lot to be desired, and there's barely any interactivity to speak of. But the narrative is strong, and the story, powerful. If you have patience, you'll find Higurashi to be a very, very rewarding experience.

The Walking Dead: Season One
Perhaps a bittersweet entry considering the literal horrorshow happening at Telltale right now, but TWD's first season was episodic gaming at its finest. Harnessing the narrative power of television and the interactivity of video games, TWD managed to pull together an emotionally resonant story that you felt in control of (even if that control was partially an illusion). Riffing off of the "the humans are really the monsters" trope, there were powerful, difficult choices to make in this first season. The voice acting was superb, the tension, palpable. Season 1 was full of promise, and even as a standalone, still a worthy play for anyone interested in narrative gaming.

Left 4 Dead
The first time you (or a friend) encountered the Witch, hearing her sobbing grow louder and louder as you crept forward. Getting nailed by a Boomer and having to fend off wave after wave of frenzied zombies. Trying to crawl to a safe house with the horde nipping at your heels. More silly-scary than truly frightening, Left 4 Dead was a great party of an experience. The co-op mode was a blast to run through with close friends, trying to coordinate your attacks and plans of action. The verses modes, where you got to control the more powerful zombies themselves, equally thrilling.

Anatomy
The first of a set of obscure games on my list, Anatomy is a $2.99, indie, minimalist game by the solo creator, Kitty Horrorshow. It's also, by far, the scariest game on this list. You're dropped into a house. It's dark. Very dark. You're alone. You come across a tape recorder, and a tape. You pop it in and listen. You're left to explore the house. I don't want to give much away, but Anatomy is an extremely tense, frightening game. It's deeply unsettling, and also extremely melancholic. This is on the artsier end of the spectrum, and if you enjoy this game, feel free to give Kitty Horrorshow's other games a look. They're shorter, and free.

Oxenfree
A mysterious horror more in the line of Stranger Things and other 80s horror set pieces, Oxenfree is gorgeously designed and a real delight to play. More of a dialogue simulator, Oxenfree nails what it's like to be a teenager. It has fun with some of the typical horror movie tropes, and leans in to its teen cast. You've been invited to a party out on a mostly abandoned island, and things begin to get very strange, very quickly. Tuning your radio is a really interesting, tense mechanic. The voice acting is fantastic, and the narrative choices feel like they actually have good weight behind them. More creepy than terrifying, Oxenfree is a must for horror fans like me - those that want to dip their toes in the pool, but are unwilling to wade into the depths just yet.

Limbo
This surreal and eerie platform-puzzler has been played by many, and again, isn't necessary horrifying. It's more about the unsettling atmosphere. The foggy, dreary, dire black and white, the unintelligible creatures and sights, the slow, floaty movement. Limbo creates a dreamlike atmosphere with very minimal effect.

Lakeview Cabin
Now we start getting more obscure. Lakeview Cabin is a free, Flash web game that you can find on Kongregate, and the predecessor to Lakeview Cabin Collection. A horror-comedy riff on the slasher flick, this pixelated adventure will have you solving puzzles while attempting to survive multiple attacks by a Jason-like monstrosity. There's a tremendous amount of interactivity and freedom of choice with how you decide to handle items. Campy and silly (and sometimes genuinely frightening), Lakeview Cabin shows the more tongue-in-cheek, self-referential side of horror.

Babel
I doubt many people have heard of Babel. It's an interactive fiction (a text adventure) written by Ian Finley, and was released as part if IF Comp back in 1997. It took second place, and won many awards at the XYZZY Awards that year, including Best Puzzles, Best Writing, and Best Game. Babel is playable in 2-3 hours, and is beautifully realized and written. Atmospheric. Chilling (literally). Oppressive. Suspenseful. All conveyed with just black and white text. Here's the very opening, for a taste:

"Your mind is cold and torpid. Slowly your senses come to you: you're lying on a hard surface; the air is tinged with disinfectant; it's dark around. You're clothed in a thin gown. You don't know who or where you are."

Heart of the House
One of my favorite subgenres of horror is the Victorian Gothic. This CYOA offering from Choice of Games (and written by Nissa Campbell) has everything you'd want from the genre. Seances, spirits, and mediums. A hero/heroine investigating a decrepit manor with an usual staff and an even more unusual master/mistress. Dreary weather, secret passageways. campy romance and thrills. Throw in some horror of the eldritch kind and you have a gripping, well-written mix. There's a surprising amount of choice in Heart of the House, and plenty of ways to customize your experience to your liking.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Higurashi: When They Cry

<Silver - 2 Points>
The Walking Dead: Season 1
Left 4 Dead
Anatomy
Oxenfree

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Limbo
Lakeview Cabin
Babel
Heart of the House

<Voting End>

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Gold:
Dead Space: Game had amazing atmosphere and sound effects. Loved every second of it.

Silver:
The evil within: Currently on chapter 5 and I think this might replace dead space from gold position, but dont have enough time to finish it before the voting ends.

Clive Barker's Undying: This game is special for me as it was the first horror game I've ever played. The special powers that let you see the surroundings from a different prospective felt so cool at that time. Boss fights were great too.

Resident Evil 7: Have only played the demo so far, but it seems like I am definitely going to love the full version.

TLOU: With regards to mentioning it in this thread - The animations, movements and the sounds those clickers made were quite scary. Add to that the ability to one-hit-kill you(initially).

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Dead Space

<Silver - 2 Points>
The Evil Within
FEAR: XP
Resident Evil 7
Clive Barker's Undying

<Bronze - 1 Point>
TLOU
Fatal Frame 2
The Thing
<Voting End>

But horror is such a vast, weird genre with a ton of really small indie titles that really pack a punch but never get remembered, mentioned, or noticed due to the sheer quantity out there. I kind of wish there was another thread for top hidden gem horror games outside the big players that you see typically mentioned.

Do you have some recommendations?

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
While there are the obvious choice of Silent Hill 2 and such, I decided to go with games that I resonated strongly with aside from how scary they may have been.

Kuon
Kuon holds a special place in my heart. It shows that From Software are masters of dark fantasy, horror, and the occult. Set in the Heian-era in Japan, the game leads you through a nightmare strewn about a small village in a feudal region. Bloodsmears line the walls, heavy breaths litter the air, and the corpses of those who met a most unfortunate fate lie before you when they're not falling from the sky. Kuon introduces a hellish folklore, letting you tap into mystic talismans to summon allies temporarily to defend you against the vicious undead, vengeful spirits, and myriad monsters who seek only to tear you asunder.

It's the little touches on the game that catch my attention the most. The main characters entering an uncertain area with a weapon on their person says more to me about the protagonists being intelligent and believable, if a bit naive. Looking through doors to see what they're walking into, running out of breath when running for too long, panicking when met with fright, and my favorite little touch: visibility falling when moving. With your lantern out, simply stopping your movement will help the light wash upon the scene before you, giving you a better luck at the carnage that came before you. While the game isn't a technical marvel, it holds a beauty to it that I admire. The story grows darker and darker by the hour, and the developers do a great job in granting you a brief glimpse of something terrifying scurrying across the rooftops just as the camera angle changes.

Haunting Ground

Haunting Ground is a lovely game that I'll not soon forget. It takes the horror formula and boils it down to a simple yet terrifying concept: there is only you and your pursuer. There are no hordes of enemies or demons waiting to jump out at you. Simply the person who may be chasing you for one devilish reason or another. Capcom manages to make entire area feel familiar and oppressive. In many games, seeing an empty room or quiet hallway can grant an aura of peace, safety, and perhaps even serenity. In Haunting Ground, it can cause you to double back on your thoughts and recall where the murderous being chasing you last was. Did they run upstairs looking for you? When was the last time you hear them stomping around? It plays with your sense of safety, offering a unique sense of dread and fright as you enter every room.

Fatal Frame
Fatal Frame plays with darkness and trust. It's a unique spin on the genre, granting you the power to fight back the ghastly spirits with a rather powerful weapon – the camera obscura. Playing into the old myth that cameras capture ones soul, it manages to weave its gameplay mechanics into a believable fiction that sits well with the theme of the world. Japanese horror has always been a favorite of mine, and seeing the developers of Fatal Frame bury themselves deep in the murky waters of ghostly horror made me excited. As you wander the mansion and find yourself assault by vengeful and murderous apparitions, you get better at dispatching them with little trouble. However, the further you go, the more creative the enemies will get. The team seems to be quite eager to take familiarity away from you, and remind you that safety may only be a temporary reprieve. After all, this was one of the first games I can think of that would take your safe space save room away from you by throwing enemies in the one place you felt calm and collected.

Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve is another hybrid rpg that mixes in horror. It focuses more on mutation, and at times body horror, to create diabolic nightmare creatures who known only how to rend and tear asunder anything before them. Spread across six days in New York, you see innocent people burned alive or simply dissolved into an amorphous blob. You see dogs twist and sprout extra limbs, rats vomit fire, and even old bones come to life. PE toys with the concept of a horror within oneself, something within that delicate little ecosystem thats inside every one of us. Things we could never hope to control, misfortunes that we never had a chance to stop, and blindsides that rip from us on our best of days. This game mixes in the world we know with familiar creatures turned into everything we should fear. The game holds a special place in my mine as a successful mixture of two genres that otherwise couldn't be further from one another. I'd give it a nod on any horror or rpg list.

Bloodborne
Bloodborne isn't a traditional horror game, but it stands testament to my thesis that horror games are not solely about fear. Horror can take many forms, many of them including a fear of the unknown or a fear of death. From Software takes many of the concepts that weird fiction and cosmic horror writers have been swirling themselves in for years – most notably it visualizes and materializes many Lovecraftian concepts that are often looked over simply due to the worlds over-fascination with Cthulhu. It gives you the power to fight back, and rather well at that. Yet, while it's basis lies in action and visceral combat, it also brings in other elements of terror that many people simply don't consider.

Worlds behind, uncaring creatures whose very presence disturbs the nature of the world, mad death cults, and the concept of being unable to determine reality from your nightmares and dreams. It mixes Victorian and Gothic horror themes with Cosmic and Lovecraftian, while also painting the cobbelstone streets in blood from both you and your vicious prey. In one swing, you can turn from hunter to the hunted, and the level of pressure upon you is just as heavy and oppressive as looking down a dark hallway in any other horror game. Your failures are your own, and your own shortcomings can be a twist of reality that may play into a lighter, yet more simple form of psychological horror.

Resident Evil 2
While the original Resident Evil game got me started on survival horror games, it never quite stuck to me like RE2 did. There was something about the nightmare hitting a populated city that felt more personal. Seeing streets and shops filled with roaming and hungry bodies allowed RE2 to hit closer to home. RE2 was one of the first games that truly filled me with fear, yet I didn't want to stop playing. Feeling that twinge in my chest and that pulse of a vein in my neck going faster, it was exhilarating. RE2 set a precedent for survival horror, and cemented itself in as one of my favorite horror games of all time. With great characters I'll never forget and a story that twists and turns through the winding paths of the Raccoon City Police Department, I'll always look back on RE2 with a fondness in my heart and a nostalgia shiver down my spine.

Koudelka
Koudelka is a strange mixture of a JRPG and a horror game. It's like a Resident Evil game, except you get into battles that take place on a grid. Corpses shamble towards you, furniture flutters about, and terrible monstrosities scurry and skitter about. It plays with the occult and dives deep into the concept of bring the dead back from their unfortunate fates. Koudelka's enemy designs are incredibly memorable, and some of them continue to haunt the corners of my mind. It's hard to look at shards of glass the same way at times. While the game may not be a traditional horror game compared to Resident Evil, Silent Hill, or some of the heavy hitters – it has its own unique take and tells an incredibly sad and dark story about the lives of the prisoners within an unassuming yet shaded monastery.

Dead Space
Dead Space was a game I initially could not get through. After a hiatus from horror in general, I found myself softer and more easily scared. I didn't like the feeling of being terrified anymore, so Dead Space took multiple attempts to even progress through. It was refreshing, walking through dark hallways with three rounds left in my plasma cutter. Hearing the slamming and banging in the vents, only to be startled by something jumping out from behind me with the music blaring. The original Dead Space tackled jumpscares well, as it peppered them throughout the ship that was filled with an oppressive and dreadful atmosphere. As I trudged through the dark metal ship and tore through necromorphs, I found a familiar balance of power that I loved so much in earlier horror games. I could fight back, but I had to be smart. I had to think, and I had to plan. Of course, my plans often went south and lead to me swinging wildly at low health or picking up any object I could to sling at a charging nightmare. If anything, Dead Space re-ignited my interest in horror games, especially after so many games in that gen failed to capture that feeling of being alone with little more than your own thoughts and the scratching of flesh and bone upon steel.

Alien: Isolation made me feel like I was on an abandoned space station being stalked by a deadly creature. It made me feel...somehow welcomed to something I already knew. It perfectly matched the aesthetic of the original film(s) and managed to ensure that you were urged to explore what you could while also ushering you to hide at the first sign of danger. With the wandering xenomorph hunting you down and learning from your actions, it granted a unique sense of uncertainty and fear when I'd fallen back on my old habits and places to hide...only to realize the creature was catching of. It forced me to take paths I normally wouldn't be comfortable with, made me get creative with ways to distract or get away from the creature, and also had my holding my breath while a massive murderous creature stalked the halls looking for me. At times, I found safety in silence and being alone. Yet it would slowly dawn on me... if I couldn't hear where the creature last was, I was already at a severe disadvantage. Losing track of my would-be killer cut my survival chances to a mere fraction of what they once were. The game does a wonderful service to the fans of the franchise and respects the films while elevating the universe beyond just a series of movies. It made me feel like I was experiencing the fear that those characters in the movies surely would have felt, and I find that to be a fantastic experience.

The Evil Within 2
The Evil Within 2 is a fantastic game on many fronts, and it's a wonderful followup to the original. While I certain felt more powerful in the sequel than the previous entry, I'd also found myself more scared to move forward. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw stats that said I spent 80% of the time crouched and slow crawling through areas littered with wobbling and jittering corpses. I'd zoom in on far off enemies through my rifle scope, planning out just how I wanted to try to get around them. TEW2 introduced so many new enemy types that practically halted my progress of exploration because I was too disturbed by them. Seeing a mass of bodies slowly wandering around and gasping while a noxious gas was a terrible sight to see, and I doubt I'll ever forget their gasping cries as they wobbled within inches of my makeshift hiding spot. This game also will forever haunt me with how it used the PS4 speaker in the controller. I never thought something so innocuous would have been a cause of panic and fear for me. I truly enjoyed every bit of the game – it stands out to me as a far off bastard child of Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hill 2.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Kuon

<Silver - 2 Points>
Game 2 - Haunting Ground
Game 3 - Fatal Frame
Game 4 - Parasite Eve
Game 5 - Bloodborne

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Game 6 - Resident Evil 2
Game 7 - Koudelka
Game 8 - Dead Space
Game 9 - Alien: Isolation
Game 10 - The Evil Within 2
<Voting End>

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hadn't been paying attention and was unaware this was ending tonight. I'm just going to throw up brief recommendations and hopefully return to the thread tomorrow.

Haunting Ground (Silver):
I seriously considered giving this game my gold. I'm convinced that it has some of the best horror gameplay out there, especially for it's specific sub-genre. I absolutely love the atmosphere and environments of this game, the unforgettable bosses and the best dog in gaming.

Deadly Premonition (Silver):
Sometimes it feels like a certain game was crafted to suit your exact desires, Deadly Premonition is one of those. It's unabashedly Twin Peaks through the lense of a Japanese game director. There's a bizarre murder, a rural american town and an assortment of charismatic and lovable towns folk. The shooting is rough, but the interactions with the game's cast make it one of the most memorable titles I've ever experienced and a contender for my all time favorite game.

Resident Evil REmake (Silver):
I personally believe this to be the best Resident Evil game to date. I love the first entry in the franchise, but I believe REmake's reshuffling of the mansion and its additions, especially the incredibly designed crimson head zombies, raise it above its predecessor.
Once you learn the layout of the map and get comfortable with the game, it still remains a blast to replay and speedrun. From a gameplay perspective, this is likely the most flawless example a fixed camera action horror game.

Dead Rising (Silver):
I specifically love games with a smallish map that you become intimately familiar with, maps that are dense as apposed to sprawling and ideally full of character. Dead Rising, and a bunch of other games I chose, are great example of that type of design.
This game is set in the small town of Willamette, solely in the town's mall. Each section of the mall, from the food court, to the movie theater, the outdoor plaza to the entrance hall has it's own distinct character. Every section of the mall is loaded with immense numbers of stores, all enterable and all filled with unique (and fun) weapons. The game runs on a timed clock where events unfold across the mall at set times. These events included civilians to rescue as well as incredibly memorable and wacky bosses that were a treat to discover. Because of this replays always felt fresh, you'd often find something new and gain a better understanding of the mall and it's intricacies. Stats and skills also carried into subsequent playthroughs to promote new attempts at unraveling the mystery.
I love this game.

Killer7 (bronze):
This is probably more horror-adjacent, but I wanted to include Killer7 because it is a truly unique game and one that does a wonderful job with it's frightening atmosphere and tense unnerving combat.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Silent Hill 2

<Silver - 2 Points>
Haunting Ground
Deadly Premonition
Resident Evil: REmake
Dead Rising

<Bronze - 1 Point>
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
Killer7
Gone Home
Silent Hill
Fatal Frame 2

<Voting End>

Some honorable mentions: Silent Hill 3, Kuon, D2, Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth, Echo Night Beyond, Rule of Rose, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, System Shock 2.

Last edited: