CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Anatomy
The first of a set of obscure games on my list, Anatomy is a $2.99, indie, minimalist game by the solo creator, Kitty Horrorshow. It's also, by far, the scariest game on this list. You're dropped into a house. It's dark. Very dark. You're alone. You come across a tape recorder, and a tape. You pop it in and listen. You're left to explore the house. I don't want to give much away, but Anatomy is an extremely tense, frightening game. It's deeply unsettling, and also extremely melancholic. This is on the artsier end of the spectrum, and if you enjoy this game, feel free to give Kitty Horrorshow's other games a look. They're shorter, and free.
Here's one I'm real happy to see someone mention. Absolutely deserves to be remembered as one of the great short horror games, alongside PT.

And since I didn't do honorable mentions of my own, I'll also say people should check out My Father's Long, Long Legs and The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo, 2 free text-based horror games that are pretty short but very affecting.

Remk NG

Apr 16, 2018
<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Corpse Party (PSP)

<Silver - 2 Points>
Silent Hill
Clock Tower (Snes)
Illbleed
Saya no Uta

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Alone in the dark
D2
Splatterhouse 2
Splatterhouse 3
Alan Wake
<Voting End>

At least wanted to put my picks buy the last minute :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Gradon I noticed a bunch of posts don't have descriptions included. Will you still be counting them? I'm hoping so, since there wasn't a ton of users participating. Just curious :)

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
1. Silent Hill 2 - All these years later, and SH2 is still just as amazing as it was on release day. A gripping and tragic nightmare drama that will stay with you for years.

2. Alien Isolation - Sweaty palms, heart-racing encounters, and brilliant gameplay makes this the scariest game I've played, and the best thing to come out of the Alien universe since Aliens.

3. Silent Hill 3 - While not as great story-wise as SH2, this game picks up a few years after SH1, and ramps up the tension. Quite possibly the best soundtrack for a survival horror game that I've ever played.

4. Alan Wake - Other than the ending, I absolutely loved everything about this game. The combat was unique, the gameplay was smooth, and the tone was perfect.

5. Deadly Premonition - Twin Peaks the video game. While I was hesitant to pick it up due to the awful graphics and terrible sound design, this ended up becoming one of the most engaging and memorable gaming experiences I've ever had.

6. PT - This game still hurts to think about. Survival horror almost perfected in a demo. When I heard it was going to be a new Silent Hill game, I jumped for joy. But it wasn't to be. It would be higher on my list, except it's a short demo.

7. Resident Evil 7 - 75% of this game is a survival horror masterpiece, especially the opening few levels. Even though it devolved into action horror near the end, the scares were enough for it to be my favorite entry of the series.

8. Bloodborne - The difficultly makes for an already tense atmosphere. Throw in some terrifying creature designs, and Lovecraft influences everywhere, this is one awesome and very scary game to play. It's also the only Souls game that I could finish.

9. The Evil Within 2 - I'm a little shocked that I chose this for my top 10, but I absolutely loved this game after finding the first game quite bad. Fun gameplay, open world setting, and a story that's guaranteed to tug on some heartstrings.

10. The Last of Us - Clickers remain one of the most fucked up video game creatures ever. When the game doesn't have you trying to protect and bond with Ellie, it is filled with nightmarish creatures and tense gameplay that left me satisfied.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Silent Hill 2

<Silver - 2 Points>
Alien Isolation
Silent Hill 3
Alan Wake
Deadly Premonition

<Bronze - 1 Point>
PT
Resident Evil 7
Bloodborne
The Evil Within 2
The Last of Us
<Voting End>

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
1. Silent Hill 2: the gold standard for horror games, and nearly perfect in every way. One of the few games I'd feel comfortable (and not ridiculous) in writing a thesis paper on its themes, motifs, meaning, etc. This is the one I point to when the "can games be art?" discussion comes up, with the answer being most definitely yes.

2. Alien Isolation: terrifying, unrelenting, and an incredible recreation of the world of the first, and best, Alien movie.

3. Alan Wake: woefully under-represented in this thread, but a must-play for fans of horror, especially of the literary variety.

4. Bloodborne: so over-represented in this thread that I hesitated to vote for it. Then I remembered the experience of playing it.

5. Dead Space 2: Although I love the first entry too, I'm going out on a limb and saying the sequel is the better game. This one has some of the most twisted and horrifying content ever seen in a videogame, and the fact that it was a AAA release seems way more incredible now than it did on release. It has a couple of sequences that are already legendary (and the fact that you're thinking about that one right now proves it), so much so that I'm surprised more people haven't included it here.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Silent Hill 2

<Silver - 2 Points>
Alien Isolation
Alan Wake
Bloodborne
Dead Space 2

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Outlast
Eternal Darkness
The Evil Within
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Deadly Premonition
<Voting End>

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Oh crap, I forgot about this lol. Will just throw in descriptions for the gold and silver selecting.

Gold Choice
Resident Evil 4 - A game that rocked the gaming world when it came out in 2005, and more than 15 years later, I got to experience and fall in love with it. It is a masterclass in many aspects, and such a thrilling ride fill with horrors to encounter. Best of all honestly was the killer pacing, as for a game that could take 15-18 hours on the first go, it didn't really felt like a drag. It just throws in many different stuff at you, and
a lot of it really sticks, with some of the most memorable moments in any horror title, like the first time in the main part of the village, the tense fight with Chief Mendez in a burning farm, and especially the Regenerator that still can haunt me with it's breathing and face. What a classic this is.

Silver Choice
Dead Space 2 - DS2 is a wonderful sequel to the already great Dead Space, that improves on it in many ways, whether it is a much better pace, some more cool and varied environments, or more fun weapons to play around with. It might have shifted a bit to a more action focus, but it still retained much of the spooks and chills that the first game had, while pretty much refining it. This game is quite up close to Resident Evil 4 in Action Horror greatness.

Silent Hill - A stellar psychological horror game on the Playstation, that has a interesting but really effective idea of working around with the limitations of the system. Whether it is the fog or darkness that covers Silent Hill, there is no short of dread of what is to come in view when the radio goes off.

DreadOut - A indie tile from Indonesia that shows it's jankiness, but still turns out to be quite a intriguing and creepy experience. Though it is pretty much a Fatal Frame lite, the use of camera to deal with spirits still feels quite fun, and the game has some surprisingly good encounters. This and Keepers of the Dark definitely shows a lot of potential from these developers, and I am looking forward to the sequel.

F.E.A.R - A very tense shooter that has alot of great fights thanks to the AI that holds up quite well, while offering some horror backdrop to mess you around, some in crazy ways.

Bronze Choice

Dead Space
Prey
Resident Evil 7
Alan Wake
Among the Sleep

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Resident Evil 4

<Silver - 2 Points>
Dead Space 2
Silent Hill
DreadOut
F.E.A.R

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Dead Space
Prey
Resident Evil 7
Alan Wake
Among the Sleep
<Voting End>

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hello everyone. Voting has ended. I want to say a H U G E thank you to everyone who participated! Results will be rolled out through the month, please look forward to them. :)

Gradon I noticed a bunch of posts don't have descriptions included. Will you still be counting them? I'm hoping so, since there wasn't a ton of users participating. Just curious :)
Aw shit I just went back and read the original post.

Can I get an extension to put some descriptions later OP? My mind is a mush at midnight

Of course. I just didn't really want the thread to become just lists as that is frowned upon on ERA. Feel free to add descriptions whenever you like, when the thread is archived it could still come in handy!

Also I know it's common sense but just wanted to make sure and double down by asking that people please do not post any results before me if they've counted them themselves. Thank you!

Last edited:

futurememory

Oct 27, 2017
Here's one I'm real happy to see someone mention. Absolutely deserves to be remembered as one of the great short horror games, alongside PT.

And since I didn't do honorable mentions of my own, I'll also say people should check out My Father's Long, Long Legs and The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo, 2 free text-based horror games that are pretty short but very affecting.

Oooh, My Father's Long, Long Legs is a really great, impactful piece of Twine. I tend to love smaller, creepy stuff like that.

Anatomy almost feels like a "short story" compared to the meatier survival horror games that the bigger studios put out. Glad that others have played it and enjoyed it, though!

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Totally missed this. Don't you think something like this should be around for at least 1 month? Good initiative!

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Do you have some recommendations?

Absolutely! In the interest of keeping this thread alive while voting is counted, I want to talk more about lesser talked about titles. This probably won't be as cohesive as it could be since it's mostly spitballing stuff I have listed on my Steam and in notepad files of horror titles I've played, but here's a start.

So first if you have a VR headset consider checking out these games which I found to be all quite worth my time:

Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul - PSVR and PC
The Exorcist: Legion VR - PSVR and PC
Dreadhalls - PSVR and PC
Home Sweet Home - PC and coming to PSVR
Monstrum - PC and Non-VR compatible
Affected: The Manor - PC and rumored for PSVRhttps://store.steampowered.com/app/707580/AFFECTED_The_Manor/
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - PSVR only
Organ Quarter - PC only
Duck Season - PC only
Albino Lullaby - PC and Non-VR compatible
Dead Secret - PC and PSVR

For non-VR I've found these games to all be worthwhile:

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School Remake- PC, PS4 First Person Adventure
Song of Saya/Saya no Uta - PC Visual novel, definitely not for everyone, very nsfw, research before playing
Scratches - PC Point and Click
Cursed Mountain - PC and Wii Third Person Survival Horror
Illbleed - Dreamcast First Person Adventure
Pathologic - PC First Person Adventure
Kuon - PS2 Third Person Survival Horror
Galerians - PS1 Third Person Survival Horror
Koudelka - PS1 RPG
Stories Untold - PC Text Based/Point and Click/Adventure
Anatomy - PC First Person Adventure
Sara is Missing and SIMULACRA - PC Point and Click
Welcome to the Game II - PC First Person Adventure
Helltown - PC First Person Adventure
Harvester - PC Point and Click
Phantasmagoria - PC Point and Click
Dead End Road - PC Driving
Stasis - PC Isometric Point and Click
Into the Gloom - PC First Person Adventure
Yomawari: Night Alone - PC, Vita, soon on Switch 2D Survival Horror
Scanner Sombre - PC First Person Adventure
Cry of Fear - PC First Person Survival Horror (Originally a Half Life mod)
Dreadout - PC Third Person Survival Horror
World of Horror - PC Point and Click with a unique style

These should be a decent start!

Last edited:

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't do honorable mentions in my voting post but I wanted to come back in here and say Night Trap: 25th Anniversary is really good and worth checking out! If you're on the fence, I have a video where I play it and talk about the improvements over the original release and how it's so much more than just an HD port.

https://youtu.be/122aeiargcM

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Shit, I was doing my writeup. I thought this ran till the 29th?

1. Dead Rising
The game that convinced me to get an xbox 360. The trailers had me sold and when I finally got my hadns on the game I couldn't put it down. SO much fun to play. Almost every object in the mall could be used as a weapon, Frank was an interesting and empathetic character that was looking out for everyones interest and the story took a new spin on the whole zombie thing. The length of the game was brilliant, with multiple endings, which encouraged several playthroughs. This is a top contender for my favorite game of all time.

2. Dead Space
I don't think I've ever played a game as tense as Dead Space. Being all alone with those monsters and you just waiting for the next jumpscare had me on the edge of my seat the whole way. Interesting choice of weapons and it was even possible to complete the game with the starting plasma cutter. I think there was even an achievement for that?

3. Deathsmiles
I love bullethell shooters and the top dog at making those are CAVE. This horror themed horizontal shooter sees 4 witches who's on a quest to stop a madman from opening a portal that will flood the world with monsters,... or even more monsters. The ending has a nice twist and besides that it's very beginner friendly as you can choose your own stage difficulty, so a top choice for newcomers who wants to try out the insanity that is bullethell shooters.

4. Left 4 Dead
I absolutely love this game. So much fun doing 4 player coop, and evne without friends, the AI is semi competent. The AI Director makes for an interesting experience as it makes sure the same scenario doesn't play out exactly the same every time.

5. Until Dawn
This game caught me by surprise and I had a very good time playing this one. Well, playing might be stretching it as it plays out like one of those choose your own adventure type stories but with some quicktime events thrown in. The acting and motion capture is really good and the story is very engaging and takes queues from a whole slew of different horror movies.

<Voting Start>
<Gold - 3 Points>
Dead Rising

<Silver - 2 Points>
Dead Space
Deathsmiles
Left 4 Dead
Zombies Ate My Neighbours

<Bronze - 1 Point>
Alan Wake
Bioshock
Resident Evil 2
The Walking Dead
Until Dawn
<Voting End>

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Shit, I was doing my writeup. I thought this ran till the 29th?
Considering you already wrote up your list, I'll let you off and count it don't worry!

Yeah, that's partially my fault because of my time zone. I closed it at 8am BST today, so in my timezone it was the 29th and at PST midnight it just turns the 29th.
I'll make sure to be more clear next year. :)

Totally missed this. Don't you think something like this should be around for at least 1 month? Good initiative!

Sorry, I wanted to get it out by October start so everyone has several weeks to sort out what they wanna play!

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
5pectre for your ballot to count though you will next to downgrade one game and remove one game - you have one too many in the Silver category.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Wasn't able to post my votes due to a recent trip, but i'm very excited to see the results!

Nice work with the thread OP!

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hey all, 51-46 have been uploaded!

51 you say? Yes! 51, 50 and 49 all had the same Points, Gold Votes, Silver Votes and Bronze Votes. It wouldn't be fair to leave one out, so 51 games there are.

Unfortunately quite a lot of the games during the beginning of the list will have to share their space with another game, maybe even two. This is because they all had the same amount of Points, Gold Votes, Silver Votes and Bronze Votes.

This evens out after a while so hopefully it doesn't deter from the list's presentation too much.

Otherwise, enjoy and discuss!!

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Great work, Gradon !
How often will these be posted? Weekly?

EDIT: Kuon sounds amazing, I'm quietly hoping it somehow ends up on PS4 as a PS2 classic, or via PS now, or something, anything.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
How did we manage to get an essential Horror Game Thread before a FPS thread?

Either way, good job, and hope it went well for you, but I must say games like Bloodborne is not a horror game...

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, the first results are in and I already see a game I should've added to my list. The Left for Dead franchise is soooooooooo awesome.

The screaming witch scared the living shit out of me.

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great work, Gradon !
How often will these be posted? Weekly?

EDIT: Kuon sounds amazing, I'm quietly hoping it somehow ends up on PS4 as a PS2 classic, or via PS now, or something, anything.

Thanks! I just want to highlight that PK_Wonder & FiveSide were really huge helps with the list as well, and continue to be so.

I'm just thankful people have enjoyed it so far.

The plan is daily, however due to work they could be posted a bit more sporadically. I'll always post an updated post so you don't miss 'em.

I only played Kuon briefly but I enjoyed what I played. I wish that From Software would remaster a lot of their catalogue as they have a lot of fantastic games that people haven't played.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Well this thread has already proved useful for me. Never heard of Kuon before, and it looks cool.

Whats not cool is ebay prices for the NA version!

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice work Gradon , banners looking fantastic! Great set of games too, nice variety already (older fixed-camera survival horror, multiplayer zombie game, atmospheric Japanese horror, allegorical sci-fi immersive sim, etc.).

Might try to beat Kuon this October. Hell most horror games aren't particularly long, maybe I'll try to beat them all haha.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
A nice strong start to the countdown. I feel bad I never get to finish my write ups for them, but still thanks for all the work you put into this and the RPG list.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Starting off the list with some pretty damn essential games.

I had never heard of Kuon before the "Shadows Die Twice" rumors earlier in the year...seems like something I'm going to have to check out before too long.

McNagah

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised to see so many games that people consider classics so far down the list. I don't know much about horror games so this should be interesting.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Pish-posh. Classic and Lovecraftian horror is as horror as it gets.
The very deinition of horror is to fear, shock, or disgust.

Bloodborne is an action/adventure game with a gothic theme. A horror genre in games is something more like Resident Evil, Outlast, or Alien Isolation where they are meant to scare you.

I really have to question some of your all's opinions on genres on this website...

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Bloodborne is an action/adventure game with a gothic theme. A horror genre in games is something more like Resident Evil, Outlast, or Alien Isolation where they are meant to scare you.

I really have to question some of your all's opinions on genres on this website...
So you don't think works like Dracula or Lovecraft are horror?

Oct 25, 2017

Horror is not mean to scare you per se (Peter Jackson's Braindead is horror as well for example) and what is scary is subjective anyway. There were things in BB that I found damn scary.

But BB is horror. It is literally THE videogame about cosmic horror. And while Bloodborne is both horror in what it shows and tells, it's the layers underneath that are the most horrific. Cosmic horror is very much existential horror.
You may feel empowered in Bloodborne, but you're really not.

https://withaterriblefate.com/2015/09/15/bloodborne-lovecraft-and-the-dangerous-idea/

Last edited:

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
No horror here, just action and adventures!

the-amygdala.gif

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Upper Cathedral Ward is a scarier place than most Resident Evil areas...

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
A horror genre in games is something more like Resident Evil, Outlast, or Alien Isolation where they are meant to scare you.
Those fall under survival horror, and this thread is more encompassing than just that (as detailed in the OP). If this was restricted to just survival horror games, for example, I wouldn't have included Bloodborne or RE4 or Deadly Premonition on my ballot. Games like Bioshock and SotN wouldn't belong, either. If it was "Vote for your 10 scariest games", my list would be even more different.

I think it's better this way, to keep things more subjective, and get a wider variety of games included. It's great that everyone can nominate their favorite horror games based on whatever metric they feel like.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
I'm definitely glad voting was open to any game a person perceives as being horror. I think you all will generally enjoy the final list and make some fun selections from it to play this October, or any time of the year you're in the mood for something unnerving.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is fine, but its still not a horror game.
I really disagree with this assessment because I feel like "aesthetic" and "theme" are being conflated. It's not just an action-RPG with a gothic theme; it's an action-RPG with a gothic aesthetic, the theme itself is one of slowly uncovering a vast, dysfunctional group of individuals delving deeper and deeper into forbidden knowledge and subsequently coming into contact with horrors beyond the scope of conventional human experience, which you yourself ultimately have to confront as well. A theme of the limits of human understanding and the dangers of boundless ambition and hubris towards harnessing the power of the arcane. This is most definitely a horror theme.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I really disagree with this assessment because I feel like "aesthetic" and "theme" are being conflated. It's not just an action-RPG with a gothic theme; it's an action-RPG with a gothic aesthetic, the theme itself is one of slowly uncovering a vast, dysfunctional group of individuals delving deeper and deeper into forbidden knowledge and subsequently coming into contact with horrors beyond the scope of conventional human experience, which you yourself ultimately have to confront as well. This is most definitely a horror theme.

As I said, the very definition of Horror is a thing causing of intense fear, shock, or disgust. Bloodborne by the definition is not a horror. It certainly was never made to cause intense fear, shock, or disgust, and if it causes these things such intense emotions it was not intentional.

This is an enthusiast game forum, and I actually find it a little sad that game enthusiasts cant even define what a horror game is. Its one thing to get confused with RPG games because it is much more broad, but the Horror genre is pretty straight forward, and luckily so or else the movie industry would be having a very hard time.

I mean I guess according to some of you, just the theme and dysfunctional people is all that matters, so we might as well define halloween disney movies as horror movies now. For that matter, we have had it wrong all these years about Casper the Friendly Ghost and Ghost Busters. Theyre actually horror movies in disguise.

Last edited:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I don't know, I only seen some videos of Bloodborne, and I was already creeped out.

Honestly, Horror has such a spectrum, including some overlaps, that I personally would rather not be so... limited when it comes to horror in general.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Oct 25, 2017
As I said, the very definition of Horror is a thing causing of intense fear, shock, or disgust. Bloodborne by the definition is not a horror. It certainly was never made to cause intense fear, shock, or disgust, and if it causes these things such intense emotions it was not intentional
This is a bizarre statement. Bloodborne's story, themes and atmosphere are heavily based on the works of one of the most notable and influential horror authors in existence. In it's scariest areas the game makes heavy use of pretty much every horror-game tool in existence, from jump scares and a heavy punishment for death to a dark, oppressive atmosphere and genuinely unsettling sound and music. On top of that, the monster designs are some of the scariest in gaming, and the game isn't afraid of pulling off things like locking you in a prison away from all the familiar areas just to further unsettle the player (or in Demon's Souls case, making you feel unsafe even in your home base).

Are you really saying the game is scary by accident? Because if so, the guys at From Software must be gods of horror game design since they managed to create some incredibly scary areas without even trying.

I'm not fully convinced I'd classify it as horror either (simply because the gameplay is much more rooted in RPGs than it is in horror games), but Bloodborne (and all Souls games, really) represents such a massive contribution to horror in videogames that I find it really hard to find a reason for why people shouldn't celebrate them in a thread like this.

This is an enthusiast game forum, and I actually find it a little sad that game enthusiasts cant even define what a horror game is. Its one thing to get confused with RPG games because it is much more broad, but the Horror genre is pretty straight forward, and luckily so or else the movie industry would be having a very hard time.
Genuinely wondering: do you think The Cabin in the Woods is a horror movie? It's clearly a comedy, and yet it's also classified as horror on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, as well as being labeled as a horror movie by many critics. There are also lengthy articles debating the topic. I guess you could call it a horror comedy, but that feels a bit like a cop-out. It also means that Bloodborne would be classified as a horror RPG.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
This is a bizarre statement. Bloodborne's story, themes and atmosphere are heavily based on the works of one of the most notable and influential horror authors in existence. In it's scariest areas the game makes heavy use of pretty much every horror-game tool in existence, from jump scares and a heavy punishment for death to a dark, oppressive atmosphere and genuinely unsettling sound and music. On top of that, the monster designs are some of the scariest in gaming, and the game isn't afraid of pulling off things like locking you in a prison away from all the familiar areas just to further unsettle the player (or in Demon's Souls case, making you feel unsafe even in your home base).

Are you really saying the game is scary by accident? Because if so, the guys at From Software must be gods of horror game design since they managed to create some incredibly scary areas without even trying.

I'm not fully convinced I'd classify it as horror either (simply because the gameplay is much more rooted in RPGs than it is in horror games), but Bloodborne (and all Souls games, really) represents such a massive contribution to horror in videogames that I find it really hard to find a reason for why people shouldn't celebrate them in a thread like this.

Genuinely wondering: do you think The Cabin in the Woods is a horror movie? It's clearly a comedy, and yet it's also classified as horror on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, as well as being labeled as a horror movie by many critics. There are also lengthy articles debating the topic. I guess you could call it a horror comedy, but that feels a bit like a cop-out. It also means that Bloodborne would be classified as a horror RPG.

No idea what The Cabin in the Woods is nor do i care what IMDB has to say about it, and Bloodborne is still not a horror game. As I said, its a Action Adventure RPG with a Gothic Theme, and nothing more. It was NEVER made to be a horror game, period. Just because you take inspiration from certain things, does not mean they are one in the same, and you should know that.

Thats fine though, if you all want to classify Bloodborne as a horror, go for it. Its not though. I know that, you know that, and yes its sad that on a game enthusiast forum we somehow have classified a game as a horror because it is set in a dark world with demented people. We might as well just change the very definition of horror itself, or go to hollywood and explain to them why they have been wrong all these years.

Even something like thriller and horror movies have a set definition to them, so to me this is just baffling to say the least.

Last edited:

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
That is fine, but its still not a horror game.

The great thing about horror in videogames is that it doesn't have to be pinned down to one gameplay genre. A first-person shooter can also be horror. A platformer can be horror. RPGs, adventure games, puzzle games, etc. can all also be horror games. It is not as straightforward as you are making it out to be.

And just to reiterate:

What is eligible for voting?
Anything. If you earnestly believe that the game you want to vote for falls under the Horror umbrella, then vote for it. Horror itself is subjective, and I don't want to put the genre in a box. I will accept anything that's not a joke; your light-hearted horror (Luigi's Mansion, Gregory Horror Show, etc) to your action horrors (Resident Evil 5 & 6, etc) are allowed.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
The great thing about horror in videogames is that it doesn't have to be pinned down to one gameplay genre. A first-person shooter can also be horror. A platformer can be horror. RPGs, adventure games, puzzle games, etc. can all also be horror games. It is not as straightforward as you are making it out to be.

And just to reiterate:

Horror really isnt all that subjective though. Like i said earlier, this isnt like RPG games where it does have a broad genre.

Whatever though, your all's thread.

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I chose the rules on what could be considered horror the way I did because horror is completely subjective. I can't say anything that'll convince you otherwise that hasn't already been said. I like to think there is a difference between 'scary' and 'horror' even though the two are interchangeable, having an objective view on putting art into a box isn't something I advocate. So it's cool if you don't want to see Bloodborne as horror but many - on this forum and off - do.

Anyways, 45-41 are up! There are some fantastic games here. I definitely suggest Clock Tower. I was considering putting it on my list as I played it roughly 10 years ago and I never anticipated a SNES game could ever make me feel so much dread (this is coming from someone who grew up in the PS1 era if that explains my reasoning). It's without a doubt a classic.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sad I forgot to vote, but hey, great thread and work, everyone. I see Fatal Frame is already on the list, and it's the worst one (still good, though!). Hopefully we'll see the rest of the franchise making an appearance. (I mean, unfortunately 4 didn't get a western release, but the rest should be there!)