Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when a certain game wins Best Soundtrack and Best Art Direction, but then ERA only ranks it #56 on the main list

1pqmgq.jpg

Essentials I would like to see over the course of the year:

Aug - Platformers
Sept - Action-adventures and open world games
Oct - Horror games (in time for Halloween please)
Nov - First-person shooters
Dec - Third-person shooters
Jan - Puzzle and rhythm games
Feb - Sports and racing games
Mar - Simulation games
Apr - Visual novels and walking simulators
May - Top 100 Retro Games (at least 25 years old)! (All pre-1993 games allowed, we add one year in all years going forward)
June - Top 100 Indies
July - ...time to do rpgs again!
I like the idea of doing votes for other genres but I think a schedule like this would be a bit much, people would get sick of voting haha.

I'd vote in all of these except Puzzle and rhythm, sports and racing, and simulation.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"I mean, it's got elements of it, it may not strictly be a turn based game but it is a damn fine game so I think it counts"
"What is a turn anyway? A back and forth of you and an opponent acting and then responding? Now, some may say this doesn't apply to BotW, but they are forgetting the stasis ability and freezing weapons! This allows you to define the gameplay in a way you feel most comfortable with, including the ability to immobilize an opponent, take your turn to select a counter attack, and allow your enemy to attack you in retaliation before taking your next turn! Checkmate, naysayers!"

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
That feeling when a game wins Best Soundtrack and Best Art Direction, but then ERA only ranks it #56 on the main list

1pqmgq.jpg
This will change by next year. Trust me. Chrono Cross will rise - there is a reason it is the most critically acclaimed game Square has made according to Metacritic.

Harley.gif

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Xenoblade 2 takes forever to get going. I almost dropped it about ten hours in because I found it a slog. Ten it clicks around the end of chapter 3 and never lets go. Stick with it, it's worth it!

Clicked right away (but I did have a hint on how the gameplay works)

JRPG of the gen easy, that content, that gameplay, that emotion, that charm, that music, that world.

10/10.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FF12 deserves to break top 20 next year. This game just keeps getting better as it ages.

One highlight of this game is how good the storytelling is without being hand-holding. You are already in the nitty-gritty from the beginning and there are so many things it foreshadows that you are pretty much required to play it again to see the big picture. The first playthrough is a final fantasy adventure, the second playthrough is a Shakespearean tragedy. When you get to know who does what and why from the start, you really begin to understand how much emphasis FF12 puts on the people that populates this world.

I remember people complaining at release and even today that this game sucked because you didn't get to fight all the high judges like it was an episode of naruto. It just shows how much of a different brand of fantasy FF12 is than what was expected at the time. This is not about good and evil, most characters you think are irremediably bad by being in the wrong side have in fact more argument in favour of their ideology than not. You even get to realize how much Ashe, which is the closest to a main character, is a ruthless character who is willing to use force to bend things to her will until she's convinced to take a better course of action.

FF12 was always more than it seemed at first glance, but doing so in a JRPG, especially one for a mainstream audience, is pretty much a death sentence.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
That feeling when a certain game wins Best Soundtrack and Best Art Direction, but then ERA only ranks it #56 on the main list

1pqmgq.jpg

I like the idea of doing votes for other genres but I think a schedule like this would be a bit much, people would get sick of voting haha.

I'd vote in all of these except Puzzle and rhythm, sports and racing, and simulation.

But an essential list for every genre is essential. B)

but yeah, agree it would be hectic but we could alternate "Top 100" lists with "Top 25 or 50" lists. And, okay, the schedule doesn't have to be THAT fast paced.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I love how Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy XII are games that actively reward you for paying attention and learning about the lore in the world.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
If this thread is any indication, a top-101 platformer thread would be an amazing thing. Imagine:

--Salt whenever a 3D Sonic game makes it on the list
--Salt whenever a Kirby game other than Super Star makes the list
--Confusion over certain games making a list because they are not "pure platformers" that havr heavy adventure or have third-person shooting elements
--General arguements on which 2D platformers were better Sonic or Mario
--a lot of older games from dead franchises or niche franchises placing low or not placing at all due to hardly anyone having a chance or patience to play them
--General OST talk

And most important of all

--Super Mario Sunshine Top 20 gif spam

TheDoldrums

Nov 10, 2017
All this FFVIII OST talk and I haven't seen my favourite mentioned

I find the orchestrated version transcendent.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 has a really good chance of cracking the top 20 then. And next year it might even surpass XC1 if enough people play it (and like it).
We'll have to see. I think both did fairly well, but the last I saw previous year results, Xenoblade peaked at #2, then started falling down each year to around 9 or 10 last I saw. It's possible that XB2 may have boosted it, either by exposing more people to the series itself, or bringing out the ardent defenders who use the first game to criticize the second game, but we'll have to see how it all shakes out.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
If this thread is any indication, a top-101 platformer thread would be an amazing thing. Imagine:

--Confusion over certain games making a list because they are not "pure platformers" that havr heavy adventure or have third-person shooting elements
--a lot of older games from dead franchises or niche franchises placing low or not placing at all due to hardly anyone having a chance or patience to play them
--General OST talk

You forgot the shit flinging when Breath is the Wild makes it on the list! otherwise perfect. Also super metroid at number 1 every year

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure a top 101 platforming game list will include every half decent plaforming game so this probably won't happen.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

--General OST talk

Basically identical to this thread except replace Final Fantasy with Mario, Persona with Donkey Kong Country, and Final Fantasy VIII with Sonic Adventure 2 lol

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
For those considering their own lists for other genres, I'd recommend cutting it at 50. 100 is a lot of work and takes a long time. Also you may want to get together and decide rules, how you'll aggregate votes, prizes if you do them, and presentation of the final list. Last but not least, you'll likely need approval. ERA isn't hot on list threads, but I think you'd get support if you had a plan together.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
For those considering their own lists for other genres, I'd recommend cutting it at 50. 100 is a lot of work and takes a long time. Also you may want to get together and decide rules, how you'll aggregate votes, prizes if you do them, and presentation of the final list. Last but not least, you'll likely need approval. ERA isn't hot on list threads, but I think you'd get support if you had a plan together.

If I recall, what I did was only post fancy stuff for top 10-20 and put the rest as static text. It was too much work for me otherwise(I did mine solo).

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
gonna be great when Rock Band 2 destroys Portal 2...
Mar - Simulation games
I wonder if these months, the discussions will get to at least 30 pages
May - Top 100 Retro Games (at least 25 years old)! (All pre-1993 games allowed, we add one year in all years going forward)
so, the same list as top 100 RPGs but with Mario games in it?

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's funny how the only only good songs (except like one or two) in FFVIII are all in the final sequence of the game (The Castle, The Extreme, The Legendary Beast). Those particular tracks are exceptionally good, though, but overall the OST for that game is a mess, incredibly disappointing after a perfect batting record from Uematsu. Can't get over how bad the regular battle themes are, either (which I find inexcusable in any RPG where you'll hear it over and over).

Fucking lol

I loved Klonoa back then. Waheu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v6BtJaBQmo&list=PL294020FE0E62D993&index=8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZMWszd5SRk&index=10&list=PL294020FE0E62D993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwEpsHoe2hg&index=12&list=PL294020FE0E62D993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FigpUS799EA&index=18&list=PL294020FE0E62D993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzKHWdVMsag&index=21&list=PL294020FE0E62D993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT1fc1opGkA&index=25&list=PL294020FE0E62D993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7krkpynl-8&index=30&list=PL294020FE0E62D993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=torEytKxkeI&index=32&list=PL294020FE0E62D993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5VhscZJXcE&list=PL294020FE0E62D993&index=34
All sublime tracks, just from disc 1 alone. I can see some people disliking the main battle theme given it plays a lot but if eel that is an issue with a lot of battle themes exactly because they get played so much resulting in overexposure.
the worst contributions to this soundtrack were from uematsu, thank god he wasn't sole composer
To be fair Uematsu also said this himself explicitly asking for help on the game as he had become burnt out with composing for Final Fantasy at that point and i think he proved it later with Lost odyssey that he still could perform well.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah I've always found this narrative that games like VIII or X were divisive or even hated at release pretty weird, they were pretty widely acclaimed. Significative backlash didn't really happen until XIII.

Tell that to ten-year-old me.

Criticly, yes they were. But, like the Star Wars movies, there was (and is) a vocal minority of the fan base that goes after the titles. VIII was absolutely beat on by fans when it released. As was X (for super dumb reasons), as was XII.

But i'm specifically talking about FF XV reception on Resetera and how i'm trying to avoid FF XV topics because they are full of exaggerations. But the ranking in this topic shows that FF XV reception on Resetera has been way more positive than the vocal minority would make you think.

This is probably one more negative forums for XV, too. Outside of the forum it's pretty loved.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

I'm sorry that you felt the need to spend all that time collecting those links, but nope. I've already said in another post that Liberi Fatali and The Landing (and ok I'll give you Fithos Lusec, forgot about that one) are the only non-endgame tracks I really like, and this list does nothing to change that.

FWIW I don't get tired of the main battle/boss themes in previous FF, I still like them to this day, and I've hated the 8 ones (including Laguna battles and regular boss battles) since the beginning. Thanks for trying but you won't change my mind.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

--General OST talk

All that would matter to me are that Ico and TLG are considered cinematic platformers, so all my energy would go towards getting them top 10-20. Also getting Another World /Out of this World to make the list.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Since battle tracks are the most commonly acknowledged from VIII I want to focus on some other fantastic songs.

Martial Law
Stage Is Set - I realize this was actually posted above in a batch of links
Salt Flats

The Spy
Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinose - I realize this was actually posted above in a batch of links

The escape themes are also my favourite in the series:
A Plank Between One and Perdition
Never Look Back - I realize this was actually posted above in a batch of links

Finally the best track in my opinion:

Paired with the ending itself is my favorite in the entire series. The last half when the Final Fantasy theme starts up right up to the end is beautiful.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Xenoblade 2 takes forever to get going. I almost dropped it about ten hours in because I found it a slog. Ten it clicks around the end of chapter 3 and never lets go. Stick with it, it's worth it!

So a slow, un-fun ten-hour start is fine, but if another game has one dungeon that isn't fun its the worst ever? :P

I beat it in about 60 hours, and no it doesn't get better. I dropped all the terrible sidequests and drudged my way to the ending just for the sake of completion.

You scaring me.

Uematsu and Sakaguchi think that Final Fantasy IX was their best soundtrack (they're wrong).

Amano might have the tea though.

Lol.

I think Uematsu changed his tune. I watched a video as I woke up of Uematsu saying VI is his favorite. So I guess not VIII from him, so I guess its Amano. Not surprised. Amano is a man of fine taste. ;)

I always knew he was bribed into saying it! XD

FF12 deserves to break top 20 next year. This game just keeps getting better as it ages.

One highlight of this game is how good the storytelling is without being hand-holding. You are already in the nitty-gritty from the beginning and there are so many things it foreshadows that you are pretty much required to play it again to see the big picture. The first playthrough is a final fantasy adventure, the second playthrough is a Shakespearean tragedy. When you get to know who does what and why from the start, you really begin to understand how much emphasis FF12 puts on the people that populates this world.

I remember people complaining at release and even today that this game sucked because you didn't get to fight all the high judges like it was an episode of naruto. It just shows how much of a different brand of fantasy FF12 is than what was expected at the time. This is not about good and evil, most characters you think are irremediably bad by being in the wrong side have in fact more argument in favour of their ideology than not. You even get to realize how much Ashe, which is the closest to a main character, is a ruthless character who is willing to use force to bend things to her will until she's convinced to take a better course of action.

FF12 was always more than it seemed at first glance, but doing so in a JRPG, especially one for a mainstream audience, is pretty much a death sentence.

Saving for posterity.

this poll was made shortly after FF XV's release. I'd assume if the poll was done again in January 2019, things would be much different. XV would probably fall somewhere between XIV and IV

A few months ago was shortly after its release? Okay... I think you're kind of grasping at straws here.

4ab.gif

Last edited:

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Cross has always been gorgeous. The areas look like they could be a framed painting on a wall.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018

For sure but I disagree on limiting platformers in particular to 50, especially if Metroidvanias are likely to get decent support. If this (rpg) list had only been 50, the games would have been pretty predictable and the main question would be placement. Because it was doubled, it gives a lot of hidden gems exposure and reminds even core rpg fans of games they forgot to play.

Platformers have enough history where it's pretty much similar numbers (50ish obvious games in a debatable order and another 100+ games of high quality that might need more exposure).

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a slow, un-fun ten-hour start is fine, but if another game has one dungeon that isn't fun its the worst ever? :P
Wait, I don't remember, when have I ever said this o_O

And no, the start isn't fine lol. It's pretty shitty, as is a lot of the other stuff in the game. The game just manages to rise above its disappointments to deliver a great experience by the end, imo.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For sure but I disagree on limiting platformers in particular to 50, especially if Metroidvanias are likely to get decent support. If this (rpg) list had only been 50, the games would have been pretty predictable and the main question would be placement. Because it was doubled, it gives a lot of hidden gems exposure and reminds even core rpg fans of games they forgot to play.

Platformers have enough history where it's pretty much similar numbers (50ish obvious games in a debatable order and another 100+ games of high quality that might need more exposure).
Yeah, I think 100 slots is really small for almost every genre in 2018. 50 would feel tiny. This RPG list didn't even have room for major franchises like Ultima or milestones like Phantasy Star 1, let alone actual hidden gems.

Last edited:

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats sucks. I just checked and its available in America.

So is Chrono Cross a sequel to Chrono Trigger or something?
Yes and I'd recommend playing Trigger first if you haven't already, more importantly though definitely pick up Cross and play it on the Vita, on the Vita screen the artwork (these screenshots are in-game background art by the way) looks awe-inspiring.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Cross, Xenogears and Digital Devil Saga are the three games I wish there was a good way to play on modern systems in the UK.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Essentials I would like to see over the course of the year:

Aug - Platformers
Sept - Action-adventures and open world games
Oct - Horror games (in time for Halloween please)
Nov - First-person shooters
Dec - Third-person shooters
Mar - Simulation games
Apr - Visual novels and walking simulators
June - Top 100 Indies
July - ...time to do rpgs again!

That's probably too frequent and would kill turnout. Quarterly is probably the sweet spot. We do rpg in summer and goty in winter, so fall and spring we can cycle through the list.