Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you think so? Im surprised XC2 is doing as well as it has tbh given era's general stance on it
I haven't played XBC2 so I can't comment on its quality, but based on the number of highlights and writeups for it I saw while trawling through the thread and helping get info for the OP, I would be surprised if it wasn't top 20.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I'm at lv 22 in my attempt to finish Xenoblade Chronicles and I still don't get why people love it. It's perfectly solid but the fact it's consistently gets in the top 10 befuddles me, Outside the fact it came out during an JRPG drought on a system with few of its genre.
Personally, it has an exceptional soundtrack and setting, and I really liked the overall story (despite the execution being messy or lacking in places). I also really liked the battle system and the "feel" of running around in those environments.

If the stuff you have access to early game, like the actual gameplay, isn't doing it for you, I don't know if the crazy shit that happens in the story is going to improve your opinion of it drastically, lol.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I mean, unless all three Persona games were top 10, and both Xenoblade games top 15 (which I would love, but which will never happen), it's about time they start showing up lol

I fully expect Persona 3 and a Xenoblade game to come in the next update.

All your favorite games suck

Really should be Era's new site motto. :P

Edit: For some reason when I am posting the site will randomly redirect me to some survey site. What the hell Era?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, we don't do it for final fantasy, let's not do it for Mario and Sonic. And to some degree they will steal votes from each other. Sonic, especially, I see suffering from this. And there would have to be an official ruling on sonic 3 and Sonic and knuckles. To me that's two different games, but I know people will want to combine them
Disagree, Final Fantasy games are more divisive than the more consistent Mario games, which would just conquer everyone's lists, Having 1 per 3D and 2D would encourage variety in the explanations as well. And Sonic 3 and SK are different games because they were sold separately and can be played separately.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Disagree, Final Fantasy games are more divisive than the more consistent Mario games, which would just conquer everyone's lists, Having 1 per 3D and 2D would encourage variety in the explanations as well. And Sonic 3 and SK are different games because they were sold separately and can be played separately.
Mine would be pretty fairly split between Metroid, Castlevania, Mario, Klonoa, with maybe like 2 sonic games, Megaman, then great one offs like ICO, Castle of Illusion, Quack Shot, and Ducktales. I'd probably make zero mission my highlight. Mario 2 US would be my dark horse I'd be hype trainin and making gifs of

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
My highlight game would be the first Ty the Tasmanian Tiger and I would have no regrets.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Persona 3 maybe. XBC2, i seriously doubt it.
So do we expect Persona 3 and Xenoblade 2 to show today?
I haven't played XBC2 so I can't comment on its quality, but based on the number of highlights and writeups for it I saw while trawling through the thread and helping get info for the OP, I would be surprised if it wasn't top 20.
so I just checked the voting of both Xenoblade 2 and Persona 3, while I don't know how many votes the last ones got (#31 as of posting this)... I can 100% tell you right now, Persona 3 ain't showing up today.
While I might be off by some numbers since I ignored people who ignored the voting structure we were supposed to follow...
Persona 3 beat the crap out of Xenoblade 2

Last edited:

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so I just checked the voting of both Xenoblade 2 and Persona 3, while I don't know how many votes the last ones got (#31 as of posting this)... I can 100% tell you right now, Persona 3 ain't showing up today.
While I might be off by some numbers since I ignored people who ignored the voting structure we were supposed to follow...
thats what I like to hear

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Whups I posted this right after the new batch went up, bad timing haha.

With no Metroid-likes or run n' guns (i.e. Mega Man, Contra) counting, and 1 per franchise unless there was a 2D->3D conversion, I think my platformer ballot would look like this:

<HIGHLIGHT VOTE– 4 points>
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
</HIGHLIGHT VOTE– 4 points>

<FULL POINT GAMES – 2 points>
Shovel Knight
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
A Hat in Time
Puppeteer
Celeste
Super Mario Bros. 3
Snake Pass
Fez
Tearaway
</FULL POINT GAMES – 2 points>

<HONORABLE MENTIONS – 1 point>
Rayman Origins
Mr. Bones
Sonic Mania
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Cloudbuilt
Metal Storm
Inside
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Demon's Crest
Octahedron
</HONORABLE MENTIONS – 1 point>

God that's a tough one though. 1 per franchise is killer.

Last edited:

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ezgif-1-f9e8d54b49xrdrh.gif

WE STILL IN THIS SHIT NOCTURNE FAM

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see Undertale with such a high rank. Hopefully the Switch release will give the game even more exposure.
As much as I like Undertale (it was on my honorable mentions ballot), I feel it's more appreciated as a meme now than as a game. Toby Fox had said he considers it "an 8 out of 10 niche RPG with it's music as the best feature", which is something I whole heartedly agree with.
The gameplay variation and attitude toward conflict alone already justify a very high ranking in my book. That the game is also highly memetic speaks to how memorable it is in many respects, particularly characterization. I also wouldn't necessarily take a modest creator's self-critique as gospel.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the Top 20 Dream for XB2 was as glorious as it was short lived. Still proud of the game.

Surprised Dragon Age got so high, it never struck me as super popular.

As much as I like Undertale (it was on my honorable mentions ballot), I feel it's more appreciated as a meme now than as a game. Toby Fox had said he considers it "an 8 out of 10 niche RPG with its music as the best feature", which is something I whole heartedly agree with.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Glad FFX wasn't top 10. It was my first FF game, and I bet it was for a bunch of other people my age. But it really doesn't hold up narratively or mechanically to other games in the series.

Undertale, on the other hand, was robbed. In terms of being a unique experience, and having the emotional impact that it does, I think it's top 10 material.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The Undertale success story is so inspiring. Top 30 RPG of All Time, Era says. Sold millions of copies and beloved by fans the world over. And made pretty much by one man who literally doesn't even know how to code.

If you've got a game idea then follow your dreams people! You can make it too :D

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2 ranking this high not even a year after release is a big achievement. I'm sure it'll fare even better as time goes on.
Amazing OST highlights too, Tantal, Gormott and Counterattack are incredible.

FFX ranking slightly above it is... well, I really like this game and it's obvious more people played it, and it's less polarizing, so it makes sense after all.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO @ XC2 being out early, but also job well done, great placement tbh

and I couldn't support a "1 game per franchise rule," it's artificially adding franchise diversity to the main list. If it's top 101 Essential platformers and 20% of them are the same franchise that's just part of that genre's history and getting rid of it isn't actually informing people about the most essential games. If you want diversity as part of it, that's what follow-up fun lists are for.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy X ranking already isn't shocking since I didn't feel like it got that many votes over VIII but still I wanted it to go further. I also wish X-2 received the same amount of love because the battle system is the best in the series and the soundtrack is fun and catchy.

Still haven't played XB2 because the cast turned me off but I'll get around to it eventually.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YT master playlist with all OST highlights so far here.
Full breakdown of all OST Highlights here.
@ me if you want a song from any of these games added to the YT playlist, and post the song in here.

#30 Dragon Age: Origins
OST Highlights
Dragon Age: Origins (Main Theme)
Leliana's Song
The Party Camp

#29 Xenoblade Chronicles 2 OST Highlights
Kingdom of Tantal (Day)
Counterattack
Gormott (Day)

#28 Final Fantasy X OST Highlights
Zanarkand
Battle with Seymour
Suteki da ne

#27 Undertale OST Highlights
Hopes and Dreams
Megalovania
Asgore

#26 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic OST Highlights
The Old Republic Theme
Bastila Shan's Theme
Dantooine

Great soundtracks as per usual. I'm particularly a fan of the symphonic mood pieces and character themes in KOTOR, and of course Zanarkand is one of the most iconic songs in the industry.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The KOTOR games need to swap places...

Edit: It's also interesting to note that DA:O came two years before Game of Thrones started airing - it almost predicted the rise in popularity of the "grim/gritty/sexy" fantasy approach with mainstream audiences. That Marilyn Manson trailer will eternally remain hot garbage, though:

Like, "top 5 worst game trailers ever" material.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Morrowind was my highlight game(and favorite game ever most days) so it feels bad to see it so early, but I understand why it might've had a hard time finding new audiences over the years compared to some other early aughts RPGs.

Also RIP KOTOR you deserved better. Final Fantasy IX is still in play for the highest rated FF so at least there's that.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Now that's a lineup. Origins doing strong.

Was sort of hoping Undertale would be top 20 but it's done fantastically for what it is.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed the first Xenoblade and Xenoblade Chronicles X, but I decided to skip Xenoblade 2. Not even going to lie--the creepy, demeaning treatment by the art designers towards the female cast in these games was already a thing I had to enjoy the games in spite of, so when XC2 seemingly ramped that up (at least from what I've seen, the sexualized young Blades, etc), I was done.

It's too bad. I really liked the rest of XC1 and played it at least three times that I can remember, and I spent over 300 hours in XCX, but eventually there's a point where you just don't want to have to have that mental wall up while playing. It seriously damages the experience. At some point you just get tired of dealing with gross, childish bullshit and want it to grow the fuck up already. Obviously it's Monolithsoft's choice to go down that path, but trying to pander harder to what always feels like creepy teenager fetishy stuff is always going to drive away some of the broader potential audience.

(Still stings, though. I did really enjoy exploring and battling in XC1 and XCX).

WE STILL IN THIS SHIT NOCTURNE FAM
YESSSSSSSSS

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I can live with DA: Origins at 30. I really like the game and the DA universe in general. I still regularly flip through the two World of Thedas books. A shame about the way BioWare tried to further modernize the series in II and Inquisition. Inquisition in particular is pretty and fun to play, but at the same time unfocused and kind of... overbearing...? in its attempts to shove as much personality into its characters as possible. Cassandra and Dorian were ace, though.

Surprised to see XC2 rank so high, since the game seems to be hated on ERA. Couldn't mention it in a thread without people piling on it.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico

As it should. The evils of XB2 and FFVIII have been defeated.

Nocturne top 20 hype train we in there!

Quick and dirty for the hype train

The #101-#20's vastness holds no peace.
I come at the end of that long road.
Neither Persona, nor Final Fantasy,
Yet all bends to my will.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Good on Undertale for doing so well! Great to see the Dragon Age love as well, the first game had some versatile and inclusive world building.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone, stop whatever you are doing and go listen to the OST highlights from Xenoblade 2. And then check out even more because goddamn they're amazing.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FFX still has my favorite video game story of all time and has always been my favorite in the franchise. If I'd voted it would've been at the top of my list.

2 members of my holy FF trinity (X, VII, and VIII of course) have now fallen. I'm pretty sure VII can slay IX but VI will prove difficult...

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Well not that much to complain this time except that I did not like Xenoblade 2 :P

I don't find FFX better than FFXII or FFVIII too... FFX is one of the most boring FFs :(