User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
DF.

giphy.gif

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Dude what the fuck. In the Minecraft thread I was dreaming of a raytracing GI injector type solution, thinking it wouldn't be possible, and it's real.
I'm running all old games through this. Already backed the Patreon.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I can't watch the video just now, is it proper ray tracing?
It's raytracing with some limitations since it's being injected.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-crysis-ray-tracing-co-op-extreme-modding
Reshade beams out three rays per pixel in calculating shade and light bounce - giving a new layer of accuracy and depth to the way the scene is lit. Take a look at the video below and you'll see a number of A to B comparisons that reveal a stark difference.
The Reshade RT filter is still deep in development (though Reshade Patreon supporters can access the latest alphas right now) and there are a number of limitations to factor in. The biggest is that Reshade's access to in-game data is limited to screen space, meaning that anything you don't see on-screen won't be ray traced. Again, the video reveals a range of scenarios where this can break the effect. Another profound limitation is that because Reshade only has access to depth and colour information, it can only make educated guesses on where light is coming from and how it should be traced.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Some of the comparison pics show some decent improvements, although not quite as much as some other implementations, like Minecraft. Would be cool to see how it affects cartoony type games, like Minecraft or World of Warcraft. I saw that someone recently imported Warcraft assets to another program and did a mockup of pathtracing in a certain area (with some material changes to work better with RT), and it went from looking cartoony to CG-like:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/bfzsk1/raytraced_flythrough_of_boralus/

Last edited:

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Youtube really destroyed the IQ of this, plus the low resolution being used to begin with doesn't do it any favors.

I'm a huge RT fan but I'm not sure I like the downsides of doing it in screenspace. I'm also not a huge SSR fan either though, I just don't like screenspace artifacts in general.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Can't wait to get my hands on this. I've been experimenting for a while with an SSGI solution for my own FF14 Reshade, but this has the potential of pulling off what I want way better.

Last edited:

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone post A/B comparison pics here, vid quality is bad and the DF comparison tool is horrific on mobile

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Some of the comparison pics show some decent improvements, although not quite as much as some other implementations, like Minecraft. Would be cool to see how it affects cartoony type games, like Minecraft or World of Warcraft. I saw that someone recently imported Warcraft assets to another program and did a mockup of pathtracing in a certain area (with some material changes to work better with RT), and it went from looking cartoony to CG-like:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/bfzsk1/raytraced_flythrough_of_boralus/
Ray Traced World of Warcraft would be sweet.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Can someone post A/B comparison pics here, vid quality is bad and the DF comparison tool is horrific on mobile

crysis_ssptgi_2j5j1p.gif

crysis_ssptgibqj4r.gif

Screen-space for certain (which the video points out a lot), but hey, I think it is an ultra neat replacement for standard SSAO. Especially in older games.

It also probably has a great additive effect to those games that have extreme baked lighting.

BTW - Crysis is a game that actually has an open/editable shaders. So this mod coud technically have a native implementation and function much much better.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see more games getting custom Ray traced mod.

Even GTA San Andreas just got RT'd too, which is pretty crazy.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
That's a neat effect, but I think it darkens foliage too much since it doesn't seem to let light through. It also seemed to have some weird contrast effect on textures with John.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Shadows look much better, but looks like there's too much bloom, is it possible to tone down that?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Shadows look much better, but looks like there's too much bloom, is it possible to tone down that?
I used bloom on my video side to show off the shader pack, but it is really not overwhelming, I turned it a bit above basic crysis levels more or less. The SSGI does look a bit bloomy in crysis, it is just how it works there really ! Not always, but at times it looks a bit overlayed.

It probably works better in games that have less messed up depth bufffer access - just we could not pass up the opportunity to doa video on crysis coop and around the anniversary of my original Crysis video.
Wonder how Half life 2 would look with this?
These shots are courtesy of Dark1x
20190505095249_1zgkwe.jpg

20190505095730_1bcjw1.jpg

20190505095420_1jpjhz.jpg

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
God damn those HL2 shots look good.
Also Screen Space Path Tracing, i wonder if that will be used in actual games, seems like a good way to get affordable GI, the inaccuracies could be tweaked by devs themselves perhaps.

arnehelst

Oct 28, 2017
Omw home from work so haven't seen the video yet. Can/will it be available for all games?

Dark souls 1 & 2 would be awesome .

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Quite obvious in video that the SSGI gets over darkened when ray shoots out of screen or behind object.

I wonder how well it would work when invalid paths could leverage ambient probes and possibly get complete path to light. (Basically thinking probe content as lightsource.)

Anyway quite awesome and should be lovely for some games.
Omw home from work so haven't seen the video yet. Can/will it be available for all games?

Dark souls 1 & 2 would be awesome .
Anything with moving lights with shadows should be great..
I wonder if Doom3 would work. (It certainly would be amazing one with proper RTGI.)

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Everyone kept telling me that injecting raytracing via mods wasn't possible.

Now how long until I can do this in an emulator like Dolphin?

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I used bloom on my video side to show off the shader pack, but it is really not overwhelming, I turned it a bit above basic crysis levels more or less. The SSGI does look a bit bloomy in crysis, it is just how it works there really ! Not always, but at times it looks a bit overlayed.

It probably works better in games that have less messed up depth bufffer access - just we could not pass up the opportunity to doa video on crysis coop and around the anniversary of my original Crysis video.

Amazing stuff

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone quickly explain how this works / does it work for all games and is there a heavy performance penalty?

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
The shadow cast by the character looks so unnatural and weird. Like a giant black blob as latched onto the character.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire

Oh look I'm going to play Half Life 2 yet again!

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
Also Screen Space Path Tracing, i wonder if that will be used in actual games, seems like a good way to get affordable GI, the inaccuracies could be tweaked by devs themselves perhaps.
The main benefit of ray/path-tracing is the fact that we sample information from world-space and we're not limited to screen. SSRT is kinda meaningless because we can solve diffuse GI in screen space semi-analytically and a lot faster. Pure RT for screen space GI is unnecessary brute-force. For example

Technique from above video is already used in Path of Exile.
Plus paper for HBIL (horizon-based indirect lighting) has been out for a while now.
We'll probably see similar SS techniques for lighting in next gen games, just more elegant.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The best looking game for 7 years straight can be the best looking again ! WE'll use it for benchmarks...again !

Jokes aside, while I like this. I do think the GI is a bit "bloomy" and doesn't look as diffused as I'd prefer.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The main benefit of ray/path-tracing is the fact that we sample information from world-space and we're not limited to screen. SSRT is kinda meaningless because we can solve diffuse GI in screen space semi-analytically and a lot faster. Pure RT for screen space GI is unnecessary brute-force. For example

Plus paper for HBIL (horizon-based indirect lighting) has been out for a while now.
We'll probably see similar SS techniques for lighting in next gen games, just more elegant.

Interesting, well at least for now brute forcing it with Reshade might look good in some games, Dark Souls 2 perhaps, that game is so flat with it's lighting.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I had an idea for an SSAO application that would take colour information from nearby objects to add colour to the shading and...well....this pretty much just does that. Huh.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Glob I need that shader for my ReShade stuff in Assetto Corsa, but I'm too broke to be a patron.
I love this guy, already worked on several games with mods he contributed for and it's glorious stuff.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's interesting how good it looks in stills, but also interesting watching how much the effect varies as things go off screen. I'll probably check this out on some of my favorite DX9/DX10/DX11 games.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I had an idea for an SSAO application that would take colour information from nearby objects to add colour to the shading and...well....this pretty much just does that. Huh.
It's quite logical extension, we have seen tests on it from ~2008 and onward.
Didn't Crytek do something similar in the Crysis sequels by voxelising the depth buffer and approximating GI bounces with that? I remember some presentations of their tech.
SSDO is a small area version, not sure what version later Crysis actually uses.

Quantum Break also had a variation of SSGI for small scale GI. (Unigine 2 also has something similar and it seems like UE4 will get it as well.)

I wonder if SSGI will become a complimentary to proper full scene GI methods, similar to what they did in Metro. (Use same rays in screenspace and in worldspace.)

Last edited:

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
crysis_ssptgi_2j5j1p.gif

crysis_ssptgibqj4r.gif

Screen-space for certain (which the video points out a lot), but hey, I think it is an ultra neat replacement for standard SSAO. Especially in older games.

It also probably has a great additive effect to those games that have extreme baked lighting.

BTW - Crysis is a game that actually has an open/editable shaders. So this mod coud technically have a native implementation and function much much better.

Nice, thanks!

Wish they would turn the bloom off in those, softens everything way too much

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That's a neat effect, but I think it darkens foliage too much since it doesn't seem to let light through. It also seemed to have some weird contrast effect on textures with John.
It needs to access the environment sky texture if it's a miss. They probably can't get to the environment sky from the depth buffer.. I hate screenspace algorithms. I'm glad they are going away.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I didn't expect this sort of thing, especially not so quickly; they mentioned ENB, I wonder if Skyrim could be modded with path tracing.