Dec 6, 2017
US
So my neighbor upstairs, and pal, bought the game at a mom & pop shop early and was already done with a playthrough by yesterday evening. He's working all weekend and just dropped the game off for me to borrow and I promptly played about 3 hours maybe last night. Just after where
dude in the jail cell has his face mangled by Mr. X through a wall
. Playing on Normal.

I've had a weird reaction to it so far in that I feel like I after my insane levels of hype and general love of Resi, I should should be liking this more than I seem to be. Something about the hardcore survival formula of old doesn't translate as well to me in third person and I wish I knew why. Maybe I'll answer my own questions here but just some quick impressions positive and negative before work:

-The near-total lack of music feels really off to me. I like the ambience in itself but the actual ambient background sound outside of enemy sounds is too subdued to carry simply not having music 95% of the time. The random thought of "did they just...forget...or glitch...or what?" popped in my head twice while playing and that's a weird feeling. The save room theme literally does only play fucking once for what felt like 15 seconds, what is THAT?
-Not killing everything and running away instead doesn't seem to gel well with the introduction of traversable doors into said formula, at least it isn't working for me. If I wasn't putting them down, they'd follow me everywhere until I'd finally get sick of it and finally do so. I know, tension yada yada but so far it simply annoyed me into killing them instead.
-Lickers are annoying the piss out of me. I basically see the thing and already know I will either die or at least get fucked up no matter how hard I've tried. I'll chalk this one up to simply not being practiced enough yet and assume my aiming style will be able to match their speed on subsequent plays/with time.
-Not overly into how much has been darkness + flashlight so far. The environments are gorgeous and I'd much prefer to fully be able to take that in. I had previously assumed the fuse in the hallway to be for
turning on lights, but yeah, duh, it's for the gate.
-Not a fan of the lack of descriptions, they were a really cool mood enhancer in past games.
-Is there really a point to shooting zombies basically anywhere but their heads? The damage models are utterly amazing but I'm constantly pissing my pants over ammo so I haven't dared trying to deviate from critical shot -> head. It seems immobilizing their legs etc. takes a similar amount of hits so what's the point?

-Much larger emphasis on puzzles/locks/secrets is my absolute favorite part so far, it's great and feels really OG Resi.
-Well, zombies look fucking amazing, we all know that. The damage models are harsh and add a lot to the overall atmosphere.
-I really enjoy the brisk pacing here so far. You're constantly finding, solving or upgrading something without filler really. Very refreshing after it feels like most games I've played in the past few years have been commitments even if it wasn't a bad thing at the time.
-The shotgun feels really powerful and nasty against regular zombies.
-I totally understand why purists would be annoyed at the map and while I also think there's a bit too much info here, I do really enjoy some aspects like noting key puzzles. The items are definitely overboard though for me.
-Tried playing without the HUD and yeah, that ain't fucking happening. I'm used to the crappy smart phone UI floating item markers by now I suppose but still really, really wish they could've found a more elegant solution, I mean come on these things are hideous.
-While I prefer the original's, I do really like the inventory screen here. Opening/closing the item box and switching between inventory etc. feels very quick and snappy and in tune with the game's overall pacing.

So maybe these points don't mathematically equate to what I was saying earlier but overall, something feels off for me here and I really can't put my finger on what it is. I'm still enjoying the game so far and can't wait to play more but am anticipating a huge drop once Mr. X shows up. Generally, I feel a slight, nagging sense of disappointment with quite a few of its design choices and I wasn't expecting that at all.

Also, Capcom, why did you put decorative gas cylinders everywhere when we all know this is universal video game language for "shoot here and blow up all nearby enemies with one bullet!"?

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Do Chris, Jill, and Wesker's Samurai Edges all have different stats, or do they just vary stylistically?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So... who else is running out of ammo? I'm on normal mode, my item stash is filled with over a dozen healing items, but I'm barely able to take out what I come across! After my first run in with
William Birkin
I was almost empty of shells and rounds. By the time I made it to the
Kennels
I was flatout empty. After a bit of progress and a few found boxes of ammo and gunpowder, I ran out again with the two zombies right before
putting out the helicopter fire
and now I'm running from
Mr. X
who chased me all the way across the station, into
the Main Hall
which scared the fuck out of me, and then I run past
Lt. Branaugh
coming back to life
I run to the west side of the station, and immediately run into a fucking
licker!!!
All of that without any ammo!!! I climbed through the broken window and all I have is a bunch of herbs.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
I don't want to read the thread because of all the impressions and stuff. Can someone just answer 2 things:

1. How do I setup the OST swap from the deluxe edition?
2. What are the best brightness settings for HDR on an OLED?

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
I made a video about why the original RE2 is still worth playing; loving what I've played of the remake though! (four hours of Leon's campaign on Hardcore)

Oct 25, 2017
I was worried about this. Does he give you any breathing room or is it a constant chase? That would probably annoy me too. At least in the original he would back off for awhile.
How far does one typically need to run to shake him, and does he perpetually stay on the map, or technically disappear until a semi-scripted occurrence later on after a set duration of time/progress?
AFAIK he stays on the map. If you fire only one bullet he will know exactly where you are. He goes away for a limited time (during a specific level) I guess...and there are a couple of scripted encounters...but it's still annoying. I skipped a lot of rooms because of this --> You can't use a gun so the only result is wasting health items (zombies WILL grab you).

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to read the thread because of all the impressions and stuff. Can someone just answer 2 things:

1. How do I setup the OST swap from the deluxe edition?
2. What are the best brightness settings for HDR on an OLED?
For question 1, you just highlight the option from the main menu -> audio options, or within the game's pause menu -> audio options.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Do Chris, Jill, and Wesker's Samurai Edges all have different stats, or do they just vary stylistically?

Chris' seems to get the reticle to the tiny, crit reticle faster (i.e. better accuracy, when aiming normally). Jill's feels like it's more accurate for hip-firing. Wesker's is "customized for robust performance".

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So... who else is running out of ammo? I'm on normal mode, my item stash is filled with over a dozen healing items, but I'm barely able to take out what I come across! After my first run in with
William Birkin
Kennels
I was flatout empty. After a bit of progress and a few found boxes of ammo and gunpowder, I ran out again with the two zombies right before
and now I'm running from
Mr. X
the Main Hall
Lt. Branaugh
coming back to life
licker!!!
All of that without any ammo!!! I climbed through the broken window and all I have is a bunch of herbs.
FUUUUCK ME!

Now I'm squatting inside the dark room listening to the footsteps rightoutside the door. There's a licker and invicible motherfucker right outside, and all I have is healing items - no ammo. I might suicide run away, otherwise, I'm loading my save from the
Kennel.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
That east hallway from the demo, I didn't kill any of the zombies and just ran.

I'm paying for that now
Yep, I totally forgot about it for awhile and I went back to the storage box in the main hall and noticed I had 4 barricades in there and thought "hey wow, how did I end up with all those?" Walk back through the east hallway and get mobbed by like 6 zombies. Took a hit and shot my way through them to the conference room in back. Then I realized I left the bolt cutters in the storage box that I could use on a door in that conference room, yelled "shiiiiiiiiiiiit" for a good minute before three of the zombies I fought in the hall came through the door. Thankfully I just climbed on the pallet and waited for them to get near and shot all three down with the shotgun. Ran back through the hall, barricaded everything I could grabbed the cutters and ran back. It was quite the morning I had before leaving for work.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why would they feel that the greenish filter is good ?

normal

46819980312_d3c183cdf5_o.png

reshade

46871824691_ac5d22ca1a_o.png

Oct 26, 2017
William Birkin
Kennels
and now I'm running from
Mr. X
the Main Hall
Lt. Branaugh
coming back to life
licker!!!

Lol this is the exact moment i posted this and someone wanted more detail
Fuckin Christ, this game has become an anxiety fuelled rollercoaster.

The execution of this game.....Just absolutely god tier pacing. But yea on hardcore, i started running out of ammo after leaving the station, so you are probably making some bad decisions when it comes to ammo conservation.

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oooooh, the game is so much better with the original OST. Just the save room music alone does wonders for the setting and mood.

MasterLeePhD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking of going Hardcore with the OG soundtrack for my first playthrough. Do you get plenty of Ink ribbons on Hardcore?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Lol this is the exact moment i posted this and someone wanted more detail

The execution of this game.....Just absolutely god tier pacing. But yea on hardcore, i started running out of ammo after leaving the station, so you are probably making some bad decisions when it comes to ammo conservation.
Yeah, I'm not a sharpshooter at all. I definitely missed many times against the dogs, which I probably should have just not even tried to shoot since I ended up having to run from them the whole time anyway.

Edit - I reeeeally wish my knives didn't break.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Sorry if this was already answered, I'm a RE2 noob and thinking about buying it. In the demo I noticed it was taking several headshots to kill zombies, and sometimes they'd get back up anyway! Is that how it works or am I doing something wrong?

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Normal is way hard enough for the first play through, and I almost exclusively play games on hard.

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got the pre order Samurai gun. Am I alone in thinking it's much better? The reticle centers very fast and it feels much more powerful. I just blasted the head of a zombie in two shots.

Edit: Might have been a coincidence. Just took five hewdshots to drop a zombie

Dec 6, 2017
US
Yeah, Normal is way hard enough for the first play through, and I almost exclusively play games on hard.

Agreed. I always reach for at least one notch above Normal on any new game but seeing how there's nothing reasonable between Normal and Hardcore, I had to go Normal here. Can't imagine how obnoxious Hardcore has to be in some aspects, no thanks.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Oooooh, the game is so much better with the original OST. Just the save room music alone does wonders for the setting and mood.
Yeah, I wasn't feeling the original OST from watching footage, but playing with the OST is much better than with the remake OST. It adds to the Gothic ambiance of the station and extenuates the tension in confrontations

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of going Hardcore with the OG soundtrack for my first playthrough. Do you get plenty of Ink ribbons on Hardcore?
not 100% but i remember someone in the spoiler thread saying it's 2 for the police station, not sure about after.
Strange there isn't a proper hard mode inbetween normal and hardcore as the jump is a little too big.
would be great to have ink ribbon choice for normal playthrough.

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wasn't feeling the original OST from watching footage, but playing with the OST is much better than with the remake OST. It adds to the Gothic ambiance of the station and extenuates the tension in confrontations

I'm sad I didn't get to experience the police station with the original OST on my first playthrough :(

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Sneaking past Lickers is nerve-wracking. Especially when you have no health items, on Danger, with 4 shotgun rounds and 8 handgun bullets

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Woke up early morning, called in sick from work and played another couple of hours of the game. I think I'm a good ways into Leon's campaign.

I have a question about a key item and where to use it.
The STARS badge with the USB dongle, it has not gone redundant yet and I *KNOW* where to use it, it needs to be used in the weapon locker before the first William fight... but I don't know how to get back to it ? The way back from the fight arena is broken and the fountain has gone back down in the main RPD hall.

how do I access it ?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Picked this up for PS4, played abour an hour so far. SO FUN! RE2 is truly the best RE and this is one quality remake. I've always loved the pace of RE2 and the remake really retains that so far. Snappy, a little scary but not really, and filled with atmosphere.

I picked up the Asia version of this and was surprised to find that there's a reversible cover from RE2 to Biohazard 2:RE, complete with Japanese text on the cover. The game also has language options for EN/JP voice, and EN/Chinese/Korean/JP text, AND it is fully uncensored. Seems like a good pickup for Japanese fans who don't like the censored local version?

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm not a sharpshooter at all. I definitely missed many times against the dogs, which I probably should have just not even tried to shoot since I ended up having to run from them the whole time anyway.

Edit - I reeeeally wish my knives didn't break.
Oh i forgot you can play leon first, yea dogs will deffo screw you over. I recommend standing behind an object, and waiting for it to jump over - Using this strat you'll have time to stand still and aim near the end of its trajectory.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
Two for the WHOLE police station? No way..
I think they said that but it's been a while as the post was a few days ago, i'm sure there are more after and they might have missed one or two others in the station. hard mode in this seems to be not hard but more like insane mode, it's a little odd that there's no actual hard option but instead easy, normal and then a crazy jump to ultra hard.
sadly the ink ribbons are only used in the hard mode so it sucks for those wanting to use in the normal play through.

No way is right. I've found around 6 so far
that means there must be loads, no issue then which is great.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this was already answered, I'm a RE2 noob and thinking about buying it. In the demo I noticed it was taking several headshots to kill zombies, and sometimes they'd get back up anyway! Is that how it works or am I doing something wrong?

I only played the demo too (my copy comes tomorrow...) but you are right, it's how it works now. It's better to shoot at legs.