Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they remove it, we will see what Jill, Barry, Wesker and Brad will look like in RE Engine due to the picture hung in the S.T.A.R.S. office, Rebecca too if they keep her easter egg which they might not as it's real creepy Wesker has a pic of Rebecca in his desk.

Jan 11, 2018
Don't tell me that Wesker don't look damn fine tho.Look at that confidence and motivation behind those BOW enhanced eyes.

Sorry, Wesker isn't my type :D

Umbrella & Darkside Chronicles truly were the dark times of the RE franchise. Complete rubbish to the point I don't know if I should blame Capcom or Cavia for this

How so? I thought they were pretty fun games. Or are you talking specifically about the characterisation and plot?

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of that time where Capcom changed battle damaged Ryu's name to "Hot Ryu" because of the internet's reaction. As making the character look badass in this way:
f182f0e0af7f8cc6fe04a775ac1e38e9.jpg

was quite clearly the intention, not "People are gonna get off to this." A shirtless male is not inherently sexualized, especially when not even 2 minutes later he looks like this:
Albert_Wesker_Uroboros.png

Be genuine.

I am genuine being about this , Wesker's got a fine ass body for a man in his 50s and clearly doing well to keep in shape. I'm impressed by the dude and hopefully, wishfully thinking, I can rock that look like him at his age hair and all. Dude also can wear leather trousers in style and not many people can do that, ranking in the sexiness. He's sexually empowered and it compliments that antagonizing confidence in his superior confidential attitude. It's why he's one of the few bad guys in gaming that sticks with me as such a true old school bad ass. Not many fictional created characters that can span across different mediums (gaming, films, novels, etc) on this archetype to execute so successful than Wesker has.

My own personal bias voice wise is missing Richard Waugh's touch to him, because he really did create a lot life in Wesker with CV and getting involved with the script of the character on the localization. Richard Douglass continued the legacy and added more bigger than life to it after his hands on. Both have done a great appraisal to the creation from Capcom.

Last edited:

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Capcom changed Claire's outfit in RE2, because during photogrammerty session it looked very slutty. Jill's RE3 outfit does even more. Once RE3make becomes a thing, that outfit is a goner 1000%.
Where's the proof of this? I keep seeing these comments on that outfit yet it looks fine on the most recent RE2 render of Claire (the render from Darkside Chronicles I think?).

Edit: Whoops, I just noticed I'm really late to this discussion.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I am genuine being about this , Wesker's got a fine ass body for a man in his 50s and clearly doing well to keep in shape. I'm impressed by the dude and hopefully, wishfully thinking, I can rock that look like him at his age hair and all. Dude also can weather trousers in style and not many people can do that, ranking in the sexiness. He's sexually empowered and it compliments that antagonizing confidence in his superior confidential attitude. It's why he's one of the few bad guys in gaming that sticks with me as such a true old school bad ass. Not many fictional created characters that can span across different mediums (gaming, films, novels, etc) on this archetype to execute so successful than Wesker has.
Yes but that's your personal view of the character, not the devs INTENTIONALLY sexualizing the character by making him shirtless for quite literally....23 seconds. If anything the game goes out of it's way to emphasize how little he is interested in anything besides complete....global...saturation...
NextPeacefulElephant-size_restricted.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but that's your personal view of the character, not the devs INTENTIONALLY sexualizing the character by making him shirtless for quite literally....23 seconds. If anything the game goes out of it's way to emphasize how little he is interested in anything besides complete....global...saturation...
NextPeacefulElephant-size_restricted.gif

I suppose you can say that with any view or term of male sexiness and preference on character's and how they act and look. Wesker is a popular character for good reason (outside his own traits I find pretty awesome) and some people like for different reasons. Devs objective has succeeded on Wesker's legacy without a doubt on being one of the best bad guys around.

He almost was successful for his objective if it wasn't for his arrogance and personal grudge with Chris. Got to love that human emotion getting the best of him in the end.

TropicalSalad

Oct 27, 2017
As far as RE goes, whenever did a male character have a default costume that reeked of fan service? Is there a male equivalent of Jessica that I don't know of? Or a male costume as inappropriate for zombie hunting as Jill's short skirt and tube top from RE3? Again, we're talking about canon, default costumes here. No one is arguing that one optional costume, let's say Pirate Jill, is more problematic than anther, let's say Sailor Chris.
Not that I disagree with the overall point and kind of nitpicking, but of all the male characters in the series, only RE6 Chris is appropriately dressed for zombie hunting. Billy in re0 is wearing a tanktop and jeans, they all wear t-shirts in re1.
resident-evil-1996.png

Jill's even the only one to have some kind of protection. Remove the military color scheme and weapons and they would look pretty casual. I agree with the point that none of them are fanservice, I can't really accept the "appropriately dressed for killing creature" argument tho.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose you can say that with any view or term of male sexiness and preference on character's and how they act and look. Wesker is a popular character for good reason (outside his own traits I find pretty awesome) and some people like for different reasons. Devs objective has succeeded on Wesker's legacy without a doubt on being one of the best bad guys around.

He almost was successful for his objective if it wasn't for his arrogance and personal grudge with Chris. Got to love that human emotion getting the best of him in the end.
That was the same game where there are tons of shots where every woman character were sexualized to hell and back by default. Wesker is liked not because he's sexy, but because he
essentially a matrix villain who does kungfu, dodges bullets, and even when you think he's dead he comes back and does all the bad things.

Not that I disagree with the overall point and kind of nitpicking, but of all the male characters in the series, only RE6 Chris is appropriately dressed for zombie hunting. Billy in re0 is wearing a tanktop and jeans, they all wear t-shirts in re1.
resident-evil-1996.png

Jill's even the only one to have some kind of protection. Remove the military color scheme and weapons and they would look pretty casual. I agree with the point that none of them are fanservice, I can't really accept the "appropriately dressed for killing creature" argument tho.
By this time they weren't exactly prepared for anything more than maybe a bear.

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
resident-evil-1996.png

That's because in RE0 and 1, nobody knows about these monsters yet. So they're wearing their usual uniforms.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
With Jill, I think having the OG outfit as an alt isn't problematic, but whatever default outfit they give her should be rationalized a bit.

I do think male characters these days are probably being designed with at least some effort to make them attractive to female or gay male players, but yeah I don't think its anywhere near equitable.

TropicalSalad

Oct 27, 2017

That's because in RE0 and 1, nobody knows about these monsters yet. So they're wearing their usual uniforms.
Carlos is also wearing a tshirt even though he was sent in the middle of the outbreak tho.
carlos-carlos-oliveira-24124383-500-375.jpg

Chris is more or less wearing the same when going to save Claire. My point is none of them are dressed appropriately through the series, but again this is just a nitpicking point. I don't see why Jill should have dressed as a commando when commandos just grab the first thing they see in the dresser.

Jan 11, 2018
He's still got lots of pockets and is wearing pants and boots. Jill is dressed for a night out on the club. Of course, I'd like for both to be more appropriately dressed in the inevitable remake. No need to needlessly expose your bare arms with lots of zombies lurking about.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Carlos is also wearing a tshirt even though he was sent in the middle of the outbreak tho.
carlos-carlos-oliveira-24124383-500-375.jpg

Chris is more or less wearing the same when going to save Claire. My point is none of them are dressed appropriately through the series, but again this is just a nitpicking point. I don't see why Jill should have dressed as a commando when commandos just grab the first thing they see in the dresser.
Was Carlos prepared for zombies? Jill's quite hardened after RE1, she'd be going ham if she saw zombies in RE3.

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
And that's because Umbrella didn't tell them jack shit about zombies. They were just told to go in and help people. Umbrella sent them in unprepared on purpose. If they had been properly informed of what was going on, you wouldn't see all those UBCS members getting mauled by zombies in the intro, spraying and praying instead of aiming for the head.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Umbrella trolled everybody so no one was really prepared for zombies until situations like the fall of umbrella in the rail shooter game or the BSAA.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Hunk is an actual hunk. Shirtless and sweaty with a gas mask on flexing as he runs for his life.

TropicalSalad

Oct 27, 2017
Was Carlos prepared for zombies? Jill's quite hardened after RE1, she'd be going ham if she saw zombies in RE3.
Yeah ? I mean Carlos is an Umbrella mercenary who was sent on the pretext to save survivors in Racoon, it's not like they sent him to capture some dogs. Their name is Umbrella Biohazard Countermeasure Service. They're supposedly made of ex-mercenaries and criminals.
latest

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah ? I mean Carlos is an Umbrella mercenary who was sent on the pretext to save survivors in Racoon, it's not like they sent him to capture some dogs. Their name is Umbrella Biohazard Countermeasure Service. They're supposedly made of ex-mercenaries and criminals.
latest
Wasn't the whole thing that they were expendable and couldn't possibly help anything but provide fodder for the new BoWs?

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the broader picture, there's a sexist power dynamic at play where one sex is more likely to be reduced to eye candy than the other.

As far as RE goes, whenever did a male character have a default costume that reeked of fan service? Is there a male equivalent of Jessica that I don't know of? Or a male costume as inappropriate for zombie hunting as Jill's short skirt and tube top from RE3? Again, we're talking about canon, default costumes here. No one is arguing that one optional costume, let's say Pirate Jill, is more problematic than anther, let's say Sailor Chris.

That was the same game where there are tons of shots where every woman character were sexualized to hell and back by default. Wesker is liked not because he's sexy, but because he
essentially a matrix villain who does kungfu, dodges bullets, and even when you think he's dead he comes back and does all the bad things.

And that's because Umbrella didn't tell them jack shit about zombies. They were just told to go in and help people. Umbrella sent them in unprepared on purpose. If they had been properly informed of what was going on, you wouldn't see all those UBCS members getting mauled by zombies in the intro, spraying and praying instead of aiming for the head.

Let me introduce this fashionable brave man who is in a mission to rescue none other than the daughter of the president of the united states of america

latest

Jan 11, 2018
Let me introduce to you this fashionable guy who is in a mission to rescue none other than the daughter of the president of the united states of america

I fail to see your point. Is it problematic that he is wearing a thick jacket (in an anachronistic depiction of a warm country like Spain nonetheless) and is all covered up? It's not like it's impractical just because it's "fashionable" (I've always thought that jacket is just plain ugly...).

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Let me introduce this fashionable brave man who is in a mission to rescue none other than the daughter of the president of the united states of america

latest
Another result of trolling though.

Pretty much, it was a good testing ground for gathering data to send them out, as well on the public front to clean up the mess of what is going on (and to cover their own involvement and try to pin point it on the government)
"Let's literally remake the the company that did this, we'll call it Blue Umbrella." - RE universe

TropicalSalad

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the whole thing that they were expendable and couldn't possibly help anything but provide fodder for the new BoWs?
The whole thing was to delay the destruction of Racoon by the government so that they could get the G-virus sample. They didn't send them just to get them killed (even though that's what happened in the end, it wasn't the objective of Umbrella). The whole point of the operation was to show there were still people alive in Racoon and the gov shouldn't nuke it. It was an unit that frequently were sent to dangerous situations, there's no way their standard uniform are tshirts in missions.

This too.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The whole thing was to delay the destruction of Racoon by the government so that they could get the G-virus sample. They didn't send them just to get them killed (even though that's what happened in the end, it wasn't the objective of Umbrella). The whole point of the operation was to show there were still people alive in Racoon and the gov shouldn't nuke it. It was an unit that frequently were sent to dangerous situations, there's no way their standard uniform are tshirts in missions.
Seems more like a personal choice because of Carlo's personality. Zombies were still relatively new so not like they knew how to prevent bites and infection.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
resident-evil-1996.png

When's my Joseph/Brad buddy-cop prequel spin off Capcom?

Jan 12, 2018

latest

This is actually a fairly poor example, unless it was intended as a joke. I really have trouble telling through text. I admittedly may be misunderstanding the point you were trying to make here.

First of all, Leon was not, at least initially, on a mission to rescue the President's daughter. He was there to simply ask the locals a few questions following up on a lead that he himself even admits is tenuous at best. If anything, he was over-dressed for the task.

He is equipped with a customized 9mm handgun, extra ammunition, a health spray, a combat knife, two holsters (one thigh and one shoulder), multiple ammunition and utility pouches, two radios, a tracking beacon, tactical binoculars, an attache case, and a freaking grappling hook, for crying out loud. Oh, and a pack of gum.

And not for nothing, he is even wearing a wetsuit under all of that. For some reason.

Scoops

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want the mini skirt/tube top returning in 3 but I wouldn't mind a alt costume inspired by it. Like a regular skirt, blue top, and jacket combo.

Tieing this back to RE2, I hope Claire's original costume comes back in some way as an alt too. The DSC costume was an okay substitute but I really hope they go for the red short and denim vest look, just more conservative.

It's also funny that people bring up the lack of realism of Jill's costume but forget how crazy it is that Claire road to Racoon City on a motorcycle with short shorts and no leather. Idk, I mostly bring this up because I thought it was funny the writer of the RE2 book actually brings up how dumb Claire realizes her choice of clothes are for biking and how pissed Chris was gonna be.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for a lack of pandering/fanservice, but wasn't Jill dressed to go on vacation in RE3? I recall that being a thing.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's funny, I always liked the character design in the series, never had any nitpicks personally (well, aside from Jill's silly costume in RE3, iconic or not). They're all distinctive and cool in their own way and instantly recognisable.

Going back to discussion about RE2 itself, I wonder out of Leon and Claire which one will come across Ben (the reporter) and which one will be unlucky enough to come across Chief Irons? And with them including more cops into the story by the looks of things, will we see
Chief Irons kill some of the survivors?
Rather than the reveal be through documents, we can see it happen in real time?

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
So RE2 update, what's the best way to handle the Zombois behind the dumpster? Switched back to normal so Ammo is at a premium, so I figured sitting on the dumpster knifing them might be the best way to go. Buuut that way takes ages and the zombies seem to be doing chip damage with some sort of breath attack, so I don't know if If I should just eat the ammo loss because there's only two other zombies I need to incapacitate before getting to the RPD (those on the bus).

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine a Dino Crisis Game with atmosphere like this game. Getting chased by Raptors in dark hallway or Having the T-Rex stalk you in the jungle. Man.....

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So RE2 update, what's the best way to handle the Zombois behind the dumpster? Switched back to normal so Ammo is at a premium, so I figured sitting on the dumpster knifing them might be the best way to go. Buuut that way takes ages and the zombies seem to be doing chip damage with some sort of breath attack, so I don't know if If I should just eat the ammo loss because there's only two other zombies I need to incapacitate before getting to the RPD (those on the bus).

shoot them, or put them together and then get bit. Leon can push several zombies at the same time when bitten,allowing you to run past them.

Or use the shotgun

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

What, just run from them, you dont need to fire a single shot before entering the RPD, lure the female zombie, and then get off the dumpster, afterwards its really easy.