• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
At this point I wish they'd reboot the series and act like only RE0, REmake, RE2, RE3, CVX, RE4 and RE5 are cannon. Then RE3 and CVX remakes could clean up those games (well, mostly CVX). It would help the franchise a ton, IMO.

(I haven't played Rev 2 but its sounds like more crazy non-sense which is not what I like about the series.)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I have a few controversial choices if we're doing a mainlime series ranking.

RE4
REmake
RE7
Revelations 2
Haunting Ground
DC2
RE3
RE5
DC1
RE2 (how could you?!)
RE0
Dead Aim
RE6
RE1
Revelations 1
Code Veronica
Survivor

But hey, at least you got the top two "right", right? ;)
Plus, did you play these as each released, or in some cases years, or even decades later? I also can't tell if this is primarily subjective, or if it's trying to be objective either. Because objectively, it's hard for me to disagree with some of these, even though I wouldn't actually rank them the same.

7 has great classic style gameplay. But the more I play it. The more I can see the flaws. Still a good game the more time I've given it. I've beaten it like 7 times now and got all the achievements on 3 different platforms. So not too much of a surprise to see it ranked a bit lower after the honeymoon of survival horror coming back has passed.

Holy shit. I normally don't even replay games that I really enjoy more than two (sometimes three) times within the first year or two of release. RE7 is personally not even in my top five for RE, and not even top ten for horror games in general. But then I didn't have a happy marriage with it either, and the annulment was relatively quick.

Last edited:

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
At this point I wish they'd reboot the series and act like only RE0, REmake, RE2, RE3, CVX, RE4 and RE5 are cannon. Then RE3 and CVX remakes could clean up those games (well, mostly CVX). It would help the franchise a ton, IMO.

(I haven't played Rev 2 but its sounds like more crazy non-sense which is not what I like about the series.)

Rev 2 finally makes the main RE story interesting again. RE4 and 5 damaged the storyline so much that it's difficult for me to understate.

Meanwhile 6 and Rev 2 introduced new characters we can actually care about.

Agreed.

I was happy when RE4 was its own mostly self contained story. Then RE5 brought all the stupid RE lore back with a bang and it was horrible.

If only RE4 was self-contained. Instead it one-shotted Umbrella off-screen in the prologue.

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta blame CVX for that. The cult classic is the biggest source of starting change in tone to the series
Agreed.

I was happy when RE4 was its own mostly self contained story. Then RE5 brought all the stupid RE lore back with a bang and it was horrible.

In RE4 I could mostly ignore the Wesker references as just tacked on fan service that didn't mean anything to the game itself. There was no ignoring matrix Wesker in RE5.

Oct 28, 2017
Rev 2 finally makes the main RE story interesting again. RE4 and 5 damaged the storyline so much that it's difficult for me to understate.

Meanwhile 6 and Rev 2 introduced new characters we can actually care about.

If only RE4 was self-contained. Instead it one-shotted Umbrella off-screen in the prologue.
That's exactly what it deserved. Oh Umbrella? Stock market killed em. Who cares? Anyways, on to the game!

It was perfect. Or it would have been if that really was the last of the Umbrella shit.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
I'm playing RE2 for the first time in 15 years and holy shit am I bad at it. I've basically gone against my own stubborn-ness and am playing on easy until I get the hang of it I'm so bad lmao. This is probably the first time I've played a classic RE game for more than an hour in the last 15 years so it's been rough trying to readjust. Game is still super great though, some of the scares actually got me still. I remember waaaaay less about the game than I thought I did.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Lists? I love lists! :P

REmake
RE2
REV2
RE5
RE7
RE4
RE1
RE3
RE6
RE0
RE: CV/CVX
REV1

I have a very good feeling REmake 2 could crown this list. But I'll withhold judgment until I play it.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
That's exactly what it deserved. Oh Umbrella? Stock market killed em. Who cares? Anyways, on to the game!

It was perfect. Or it would have been if that really was the last of the Umbrella shit.

I mean if you don't care about the Resident Evil story, sure. And I probably shouldn't considering most of it is garbage. But RE was the first game "story" I really got into and I fell in love with the characters and their struggle against Umbrella destroying the world. Coming from that perspective I think I'm totally justified in hating the RE4 timeskip.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Finished Revelations 2 this time on the switch. I really like this game, it also helps they chose excellent characters like Claire & Barry. Especially Barry I love how they interpreted this character again as a good-natured family man who is kind but ready to fuck shit up when prompted.

I'm also going to throw out an extremely unpopular opinion but it just confirms how Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine are utterly boring characters who should just be retired at this point. I don't feel that they have anything to add that are worthwhile and relevant to the franchise, especially when you have other characters like Claire, Barry and Leon who are much more interesting than the one-dimensional super-heroes that Jill & Chris are. Even Chris and his fleshing out with Piers didn't work out so they should just give up at this point, those two characters are in a deadlock where they will never evolve and never bring anything interesting to the story. I'd rather have Jake Muller.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
But hey, at least you got the top two "right", right? ;)
Plus, did you play these as each released, or in some cases years, or even decades later? I also can't tell if this is primarily subjective, or if it's trying to be objective either. Because objectively, it's hard for me to disagree with some of these, even though I wouldn't actually rank them the same.

Holy shit. I normally don't even replay games that I really enjoy more than two (sometimes three) times within the first year or two of release. RE7 is personally not even in my top five for RE, and not even top ten for horror games in general. But then I didn't have a happy marriage with it either, and the annulment was relatively quick.

I like the gameplay itself and have gotten over the dislike of some of the story elements. It still isn't in my top 3 or anything.
But it's fun enough to play and speedrun. Especially when going for achievements since it has a good list. Like nowadays I can run
RE7 in under 4 hours with no box, no health, and all the collectibles. Then another madhouse playthrough is like 3 hours with the cement saw and all coins.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
Finished Revelations 2 this time on the switch. I really like this game, it also helps they chose excellent characters like Claire & Barry. Especially Barry I love how they interpreted this character again as a good-natured family man who is kind but ready to fuck shit up when prompted.

I'm also going to throw out an extremely unpopular opinion but it just confirms how Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine are utterly boring characters who should just be retired at this point. I don't feel that they have anything to add that are worthwhile and relevant to the franchise, especially when you have other characters like Claire, Barry and Leon who are much more interesting than the one-dimensional super-heroes that Jill & Chris are. Even Chris and his fleshing out with Piers didn't work out so they should just give up at this point, those two characters are in a deadlock where they will never evolve and never bring anything interesting to the story. I'd rather have Jake Muller.

I'd do anything for more Claire/Moira buddy cop action.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

To be quite honest, I think the whole RE cast are very one dimensional in the original run of games. I'm quite fond of them all, but most of their existence has been as action figures whose characterization goes no deeper than their bio "I'm a STARS member", "I'm looking for my brother", "I'm an ex-cop special agent", etc.

Maybe they've expanded on certain characters in later games or movies more than others... I haven't played the Revelations series or seen the last two CGI movies.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
Rev2 made Barry my favourite RE character. I'd love to see Moira return, slightly older and more mature without losing her personality. I also think they handled Claire very well (even though I know some people were bitching about how they'd ruined her just because she was no longer "good with kids" failing to realise the purpose of the scene and refusing to acknowledge that people can change in 15 years).

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 7 felt kinda boss rushy, but it was so different in many aspects that I really liked the direction it was taking. It's biggest issues were the enemy variety, length and some of the later levels were bland as fuck. Chris's DLC couldn't have been in a more boring location.

I replayed RE2 a few years ago and managed to finish it in around 3+ hours or so. I had everything memorized since I must have beaten it a dozen times in the late 90's. RE3's difficulty is ridiculously easy and it ruined the tension. It's "Normal" setting is way too hard too. Would have benefitted from something in between. The tight alleys at the beginning of the game are loaded with zombies so it's hard to survive without running out of all your ammo.

Last edited:

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Rev2 made Barry my favourite RE character. I'd love to see Moira return, slightly older and more mature without losing her personality. I also think they handled Claire very well (even though I know some people were bitching about how they'd ruined her just because she was no longer "good with kids" failing to realise the purpose of the scene and refusing to acknowledge that people can change in 15 years).

I mean the purpose of the scene is obviously to humanize Moira and give her some depth, but you can do that without Claire acting OOC. Like, just have Claire start to go forward and comfort Natalia, but Moira beats her to it and Claire steps back with a "huh would you look at that" expression. Instantly better.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I mean the purpose of the scene is obviously to humanize Moira and give her some depth, but you can do that without Claire acting OOC. Like, just have Claire start to go forward and comfort Natalia, but Moira beats her to it and Claire steps back with a "huh would you look at that" expression. Instantly better.

Agreed. And while I adore the localization for Rev2's dialog overall, the scene where Claire picks up the handgun and says it's "more reliable than any person" is total shit, doesn't fit Claire at all, and is only a hackneyed call back to CV (and a shame since the other call backs are excellent). Plus, it hasn't been exactly a 15 gap; Claire was in Degeneration which takes place 5 or 6 years after RE2 and was still shown as fully empathetic and understanding with kids, and her job also centers strongly around her capability to relate to and comfort others.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. And while I adore the localization for Rev2's dialog overall, the scene where Claire picks up the handgun and says it's "more reliable than any person" is total shit, doesn't fit Claire at all, and is only a hackneyed call back to CV (and a shame since the other call backs are excellent). Plus, it hasn't been exactly a 15 gap; Claire was in Degeneration which takes place 5 or 6 years after RE2 and was still shown as fully empathetic and understanding with kids, and her job also centers strongly around her capability to relate to and comfort others.

Weird

Thats a bummer that they didnt retain consistency with Claire

I had forgotten her Characterization over the years since it had been a long time since I played as her

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Weird

Thats a bummer that they didnt retain consistency with Claire

I had forgotten her Characterization over the years since it had been a long time since I played as her

They're only a few stand out bad lines/moments, as Claire is otherwise fine I'd say (in spite of no Alyson Court.... ; ~ ;), but she does feel like she's written differently in Rev2 compared to 2/CV/Degeneration/Darkside Chronicles

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
They're only a few stand out bad lines/moments, as Claire is otherwise fine I'd say (in spite of no Alyson Court.... ; ~ ;), but she does feel like she's written differently in Rev2 compared to 2/CV/Degeneration/Darkside Chronicles

Ya know

This is why I want them to diverge and forge a new timeline and canon with the remakes

Lets start with RE2 and do something completely new going forward. The writing and quality seems to be massively improved in RE2 remake based on the little we have seen

Would be an excellent jumping point to reimagine everything that comes after

Jan 11, 2018

But Claire is also in a different place in her life compared to some 15 years prior. The scene doesn't ruin her character at all. If anything, it didn't just show a sweeter side of Moira but it also helps drive home how much Claire cares for a certain other character and how it's causing tunnel vision. It's kind of foreshadowing, and was needed. Otherwise the reveal in chapter 3 would almost come out of nowhere and not pack as big of a punch.

the scene where Claire picks up the handgun and says it's "more reliable than any person" is total shit, doesn't fit Claire at all

See, I think it's great specifically because it shows that she's changed. She's been through so much shit, and it's gotten to her.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
But Claire is also in a different place in her life compared to some 15 years prior. The scene doesn't ruin her character at all. If anything, it didn't just show a sweeter side of Moira but it also helps drive home how much Claire cares for a certain other character and how it's causing tunnel vision. It's kind of foreshadowing, and was needed. Otherwise the reveal in chapter 3 would almost come out of nowhere and not pack as big of a punch.

Well, we're not going to agree here because I think what happens later with her doesn't pack any punch and is weak character development anyway, so you could say I'm not happy that the Claire series fans like was altered in service of that plotline. Additionally, I don't see how anything she's experienced would make her less empathetic towards children of all people, and perhaps the opposite given the frightening world they now live in. Claire, out of all the series protagonists, differentiated herself through compassion and warm-heartedness. Jill and Chris are the professional baddasses all about the mission, and Leon is the sarcastic quipper who uses humor to distance himself.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know who they scanned for Marvin? I can't help but to see Sterling K. Brown everytime i watch the footage.
sterling-k-brown-0118-1400x800.jpg

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
See, I think it's great specifically because it shows that she's changed. She's been through so much shit, and it's gotten to her.

Except it's not. Steve said that line because people closed to him (mainly his father) failed him and his mother, and he was on his own ever since he was kidnapped by Umbrella; in his case weapon was the only thing he could rely on (at least until he met Claire, but he still considered her a hindrance back then). At that moment in his live he didn't care about anyone other than himself.

Claire, on the other hand, works at NGO where she helps victims of biohazard outbreaks and BOWs attacks. She works in a team of people who also wants to save the world through non-combat measures; moreover, at that specific moment, she was working together with Moira. So how exactly does that line work in this context? This was nothing more than a failed call back.

I'm also going to throw out an extremely unpopular opinion but it just confirms how Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine are utterly boring characters who should just be retired at this point. I don't feel that they have anything to add that are worthwhile and relevant to the franchise, especially when you have other characters like Claire, Barry and Leon who are much more interesting than the one-dimensional super-heroes that Jill & Chris are.

But Claire, Barry and Leon are one-dimensional super-heroes as well:
- Claire is the mother figure, the care-taker.
- Barry is the family guy who likes big guns.
- Leon is the cool government agent who loves Ada.

They might be fun, but there's really no depth to those characters. Chris is the good-guy military guy who wants to protect his squad but fails at that every single time (seriously, even Carla points that out), which makes him somehow interesting... until Capcom started to repeat the plot again and again (RE1, RE5, RE6 - twice, RE7...).

Out of all characters, unfortunately Jill is the blandest one, but that's because she wasn't given any solo story-driven game where she her character had the chance to develop.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
Claire, out of all the series protagonists, differentiated herself through compassion and warm-heartedness.

Please. It's not like told Natalia to fuck off. I feel like people exaggerate when describing her behaviour in this game. Under normal circumstances I'm sure she'd be able to think more clearly and act more rational. The entire situation was seriously messed up. She and a bunch of colleagues, whom she obviously cared for, had been kidnapped and injected with a virus. They were expected to panic and give in to fear as part of a twisted experiment. She wasn't there to rescue people. She wasn't in control. She's human, not Superwoman. It's okay for her to not act perfectly in every single situation. Again, doesn't mean her entire character has been ruined. Same goes for her brother, who after so many years of being GI Joe turned to alcohol because he kept losing comrades in battle.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone wanting Jake to be retconned is wrong and should feel bad about themselves. Jake is great, Jake and Sherry are great.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey lists? I love this, mine
- Resident Evil 2
- Resident Evil Code Veronica X
- Resident Evil Remake/1
- Resident Evil Revelations 2
- Resident Evil 6
- Resident Evil 4
- Resident Evil 5
- Resident Evil 0
- Resident Evil Revelations
- Resident Evil Dead Aim
- Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles

I have not played RE7 yet

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually wondering if they'll remake another RE title after this anytime soon. REmake and RE0 HD really don't make sense at this point to be remade (obviously), and neither does CVX.

Is RE3 even popular enough to get remade? I mean, Nemesis is probably the most famous monster in the whole franchise, so I guess remaking it just for that alone would make sense and get people hyped. But other than that, it wasn't nearly as well received or as popular as 1 and 2 among fans. I want it to happen since RE3 had a lot of unrealized potential, but I really doubt we'll see much clamoring for a RE3 remake like we did with RE2.

RE4 remake in 5-10 years would make most sense to me, although the game translating well enough with each gen with just straight ports might be good enough for Capcom for a very long time.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The story of RE6 is whatever.
But the interactions between a lot of the characters is great. All those years and having a title with a actual collab is great. Outside like Leon being dragged around by Helena in the beginning of his campaign.

Still say Jake is a great character. Adds some nice changes to the cast up to that point. Plus makes sense with the angle they went. You can tell Capcom still regrets killing wesker in RE5.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind Jake and Sherry, just like I don't mind Chris and Piers. I'm all for everythng else in RE6 being retconned out.
There's no reason to retcon anything, IMO. Like, why? Honestly, the one RE game where the plot should be retonned out of being bad is RE4.
Jake is like a fan fiction character that somehow made it into the game. RE6's story is so bad.
Jake actually has a nice little arc, something other titles in the series could've used. Like, him being the son of Wesker is actually very well played, it could've been too cheesy or too on the nose, but it's downplayed somewhat due to the fact that Jake has an actual personality, unlike, say, every RE4 character.
You can tell Capcom still regrets killing wesker in RE5.
I don't think Jake being in RE6 is a response to Wesker being killed. Rather, it was a way to have a protagonist that, while still having ties with the "RE family", is a superhuman outsider. And, who'd have guessed it that it's cool to control such a dude?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Jake actually has a nice little arc, something other titles in the series could've used. Like, him being the son of Wesker is actually very well played, it could've been too cheesy or too on the nose, but it's downplayed somewhat due to the fact that Jake has an actual personality, unlike, say, every RE4 character.
RE4 has the b-movie self awareness that RE6 solely needed because it takes all this incredibly schlocky material at face value. Jake, with all his generic quips, is a part of that. That's not even getting into the ridiculous idea of Wesker having sex.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE4 has the b-movie self awareness that RE6 solely needed because it takes all this incredibly schlocky material at face value. Jake, with all his generic quips, is a part of that. That's not even getting into the ridiculous idea of Wesker having sex.
Why would a human adult not have an active sex life? What's ridiculous about that?

And RE4 is not self-aware at all, it's all played with a straight-face. It being a terribly dumb plot with carboard cutouts for characters doesn't mean the game is self-aware, it means the game wasn't well written. Wesker and Ada seem to be the only characters who have an actual stake in RE4, and they barely feature in the game's plot.

Jan 11, 2018
Regardless they're not on the same level of ridiculousness. RE6 is just a whole lot more stupid than any other RE game. Full of plot holes and inconsistencies with the previous games, and terrible dialogue.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
the biggest misstep storywise was definttely re6 and jake muller. i don't even hate jake but making him "the son of wesker" was such an ass pull.
adult sherry was the only good thing about that game

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
And RE4 is not self-aware at all, it's all played with a straight-face.

You'd have to be really dense to not see how self depreciating RE4 is, it's poking fun of itself from beginning to end. I can see the argument for "RE4 isn't as funny as the other games, because for the first time the cheese is intentional rather than accidental" but to think they expected players to take the entire thing 100% seriously makes me want whatever you were smoking while playing.

Might not be your cup of tea, but it's absolutely self aware.