• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
finally finished REmake last night - started a new file and played all the way through in one sitting. 8:57:58 final time. Such a great game.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Rev2 gave me a hankering to replay RE4, I might do this when I wake up, I've only played the PS3 version

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Rev2 gave me a hankering to replay RE4, I might do this when I wake up, I've only played the PS3 version

Current gen versions are better, though it's not the best they added proper surround sound into the mix. Managed to bring back more effects missing that the Gamecube version had.
The resolution is higher as well as the framerate at 1080/60fps.
The game looks more cleaner overall. There are some texture improvements too but nothing like that PC mod.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Current gen versions are better, though it's not the best they added proper surround sound into the mix. Managed to bring back more effects missing that the Gamecube version had.
The resolution is higher as well as the framerate at 1080/60fps.
The game looks more cleaner overall. There are some texture improvements too but nothing like that PC mod.

Is the PC version without texture mod fine too ?

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Jake is like a fan fiction character that somehow made it into the game.

I mean, so is Claire if we're being kinda honest. Especially after Code Veronica. Still love 'er.

Please. It's not like told Natalia to fuck off. I feel like people exaggerate when describing her behaviour in this game. Under normal circumstances I'm sure she'd be able to think more clearly and act more rational. The entire situation was seriously messed up. She and a bunch of colleagues, whom she obviously cared for, had been kidnapped and injected with a virus. They were expected to panic and give in to fear as part of a twisted experiment. She wasn't there to rescue people. She wasn't in control. She's human, not Superwoman. It's okay for her to not act perfectly in every single situation. Again, doesn't mean her entire character has been ruined. Same goes for her brother, who after so many years of being GI Joe turned to alcohol because he kept losing comrades in battle.

I don't think her character is totally "ruined" or anything. It's just a dumb character scene for her. You can show her panic and concern without undermining one of her signature character traits. And the fact that Moira, a hot-headed teenager who has every reason to be MORE out of control than Claire in that scene, is the soothing voice of reason for Natalia, makes for an unfortunate juxtaposition.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Rev 2 since when it first came out (and that too on PS3) even though I also re-bought it later on a PS4 sale. RE4 is a game I play almost every year so I'm more excited to return to Revelations 2 to in 1080p/60 FPS before RE2make comes out.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's a minor nit-pick with how the RE2 logo is presented, but it gives me crazy: Why is the "2" white? When it was first revealed, the logo was shown abbreviated as "RE2" in all red, then expands into "Resident Evil 2" with the "R" & "E" still red...but the "2" turned white for no reason. The logo feels off-balanced. It should be like this:

ciJlowC.jpg

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best gameplay vid of this... someone who knows how to play and if possible, w/o commentary?

Edit: NVM looks like Dusk updated the OP since I last looked. Carry on.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know it's a minor nit-pick with how the RE2 logo is presented, but it gives me crazy: Why is the "2" white? When it was first revealed, the logo was shown abbreviated as "RE2" in all red, then expands into "Resident Evil 2" with the "R" & "E" still red...but the "2" turned white for no reason. The logo feels off-balanced. It should be like this:

ciJlowC.jpg
Maybe they're specifically referencing the ubiquitous moniker "REmake" by highlighting those two letters?

Could be read as Resident Evil 2: RE, referring to REmake, REdo, etc.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I really wish they would have gone with the JP title for the western release too. Would have made sense, imo.

It's due to it being near impossible to get the name rights of Biohazard in the West because of many different things using the name for Biohazard including a band and a DOS game, at the time.
I don't think they'd want to bother with all that in this day and age when Resident Evil is very much established by now. A lot of the RE user base probably does not know the Japanese version is called Biohazard
I only found out Evil Within was called Psycho Break by chance because I walked into an import shop.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Resident Evil is a better name. Has multiple levels to it and doesn't abbreviate into something that sounds like I've had too many korean bbq tacos.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I like BioHazard more because with the series evolution that name made more sense, but I do love Resident Evil.

Their branding of 7 was strange when they added Biohazard / Resident Evil as a subtitle to the game. I liked it though. I find it even weirder they've done it for RE2make in Japan but not here?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Bought Rev2 on Switch in anticipation for the remake, its as rough as i remember but still a charming game with a silly b horror tone, a few strong bosses , creepy environments and solid design all around.

Honestly the reason its so beloved around here is because we didn't had a RE game like this after the 5, 6 and Rev1 combo that felt more like (very bad) action sci fi movies than the self aware b-c horror setting the series was known for, so it felt fresh and familiar.

Looking back glad to see it wasn't accident and Capcom was not afraid to change the series again , best case we would had a low budget Rev3 along with another questionable action movie re7 :/

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally bought a 1070 ti, I guess I'm set on this, DMC5 and Death Stranding running at butter smooth 60fps at max settings, assuming they don't shit the bed with the ports.

Is the PC version without texture mod fine too ?
RE4 on PC is the most definitive port of the game, would be even better with the texture mod, but it's still the best version without it.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Is more like CAPCOM don't know how to develop character growth. Leon and Claire become entire different characters as the story progresses. In Rev2 Claire doesn't know how to talk with children anymore, keeps quoting Steve ("a gun is more reliable than any person"). Leon is split in 4 different personas: The RE2 Leon, a rookiee policeman, acting by the rules, the RE4 Leon full of sarcasm, quips and one-liners, the RE6/Damnation/Degeneration Leon who can't barely put a smile anymore and the Vendetta "Punished" Leon who is literally RE6 Chris.
Tbh living in such a rotten world as the RE universe would fill anyone with cynicism and mental issues, the people who can sleep at night its because they got so used to seeing virus infected monsters everywhere its part of the culture

May 18, 2018
Was looking forward to this but maybe its the footage I've seen (although watched 4K IGN version) but not impressed with what I've seen so far. Would love a fixed perspective option as an extra!

Feral Gingy

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I wonder if Brad Vickers is going to make it to this remake. It is a pretty cool easter egg in the original how you get the special key from him.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Alright thanks for the answers, I'm gonna replay RE4 next.

Oh yeah and I've been playing Rev2's raid mode a lot, I really enjoy it. I'm glad Capcom was able to recoup the costs of doing RE6's maps lol

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I personally like when any game plays really absurd and over the top events completely seriously.

Same. I prefer the stupid shit in the more action-heavy RE games. The final battle in an active volcano in RE5 is peak Resident Evil to me.

Agreed. Wesker wasn't always a teleporting, trench-coat wearing super villain lol

Wesker might as well be a different character in RE5 and it's a change I love.

LifeLike

Oct 31, 2017
Where is the Digital Foundry Analysis of the E3 2018 Gameplay Demo?
What is going on DF? What is taking so long?

Feral Gingy

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
As someone who played RE3 before RE2, I found it especially awesome. I like to believe the Nemesis is the reason zombie Brad is so strong.

They should remake this easter egg by having the player arrive in front of the police station and seeing zombie Brad. You kill him just like in the original and walk up to him. As you're about to examine the body you hear it: "STARS... " Nemesis appears and it's time to survive.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Alright thanks for the answers, I'm gonna replay RE4 next.

Oh yeah and I've been playing Rev2's raid mode a lot, I really enjoy it. I'm glad Capcom was able to recoup the costs of doing RE6's maps lol
Right??? I'm playing Rev2 raid mode a lot lately with my roommate and we are having a blast. Can't beat the Claire + Moira combo beating the shit out of zombies yet again.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Just random question... what do you all think would be a good counter system in a more grounded RE like this? I'm an RE6 fan, but that was a brawler and counters were too easy. REmake tied it to an item, which was fine there, but I'm not a huge fan of super-limited, item-based escapes tbh. Would rather it be gameplay, but how do you avoid it being too easy to pull off? How do you maintain tension and risk while letting the player have some more agency in avoiding enemies? Can you? I've been thinking about it quite a bit. My thought is to increase player mobility by adding some dodges or offensive pushes, but also make enemies faster, more unpredictable, and swarmy. idk.

Just thinking about how you iterate on the RE4 gameplay they're adapting here. For when RE3make eventually happens. lol

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
And the fact that Moira, a hot-headed teenager who has every reason to be MORE out of control than Claire in that scene, is the soothing voice of reason for Natalia, makes for an unfortunate juxtaposition.

I think that's more to show that Moira is really good with kids due to her own sister, and to start giving her layers other than being pissed off at Barry.

Oct 30, 2017

ciJlowC.jpg
Exactly what I've been thinking all along... and it looks now MUCH MUCH better!

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Maybe they're specifically referencing the ubiquitous moniker "REmake" by highlighting those two letters?

Could be read as Resident Evil 2: RE, referring to REmake, REdo, etc.
This is exactly what is happening, as evidenced by the Japanese title and logo of the game, Biohazard RE: 2.

The "RE:" moniker is very popular in Japan to indicate a remake (KH Re: Chain of Memories, KH Re: Coded, etc etc), and they're highlighting the "Resident Evil" name at the same time. Honestly it's as smart as the logos for RE7/Bio7.

08FE893C4606426D47F4EEA0236292BF9A9C6FE1

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is exactly what is happening, as evidenced by the Japanese title and logo of the game, Biohazard RE: 2.

The "RE:" moniker is very popular in Japan to indicate a remake (KH Re: Chain of Memories, KH Re: Coded, etc etc), and they're highlighting the "Resident Evil" name at the same time. Honestly it's as smart as the logos for RE7/Bio7.

08FE893C4606426D47F4EEA0236292BF9A9C6FE1

It's very good