• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Resident Evil 3 for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X, and PC is scheduled for release on April 3, 2020.

The Resident Evil franchise features survival horror games in which players utilize a variety of weapons and other items to escape terrifying situations. Cumulative sales of the games in the series now total 94 million units* since the first title debuted in 1996. More than 20 years later, continuous support from the passionate fan base across the globe makes it Capcom's flagship game series.

The new Resident Evil 3 is a remake of the 1999 release of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, which went on to sell a cumulative 3.5 million units. The new game incorporates fresh ideas and utilizes the latest technology, leveraging Capcom's proprietary RE Engine. Further, the title is planned to also include Resident Evil Resistance, an asymmetrical online title unveiled under the working title of "Project Resistance" at Tokyo Game Show 2019, giving players a chance to immerse themselves in two unique survival horror experiences that are complimentary.

The Resident Evil series has garnered high praise from both fans and the media internationally, with Resident Evil 2, a remake released in January of this year, achieving more than 5 million units in sales* and being honored with Ultimate Game of the Year in the U.K. Golden Joystick Awards 2019—the highest prize awarded to games released in the current year.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all stakeholders by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.
tumblr_olhcomr7iT1qjztgpo1_400.gifv

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Congrats on the success, Capcom. You all definitely earned it with RE2 Remake. Here's to RE3 Remake being just as great.

And yes Okabe, Capcom is back.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
That's crazy, didn't big PS1 games sell a shit ton?

Incredible game, happy for it (even though it doesn't surpass the original in every way)

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad to see this. RE6 sold amazingly but made me so worried about the future of the franchise but between RE7 and RE2make, and with RE3 on the horizon, I don't think Resident Evil has ever been in a better place.

Oct 24, 2019
* when their fighting game division is no longer incompetent. This is out of love, but they have made a cynic out of me in terms of fighting games.

As long as they keep up the good work on third person action games, then the fighting games are irrelevant.

I'll happily let MvC rot if it means we get 10/10 level Resi, DMC, Monster Hunter, etc.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
* when their fighting game division is no longer incompetent. This is out of love, but they have made a cynic out of me in terms of fighting games.
They've somewhat turned SFV around. Though as I've said before, I'm not expecting a new fighting game from Capcom until next-gen (I.E. at least 2022).

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great freaking game if it had the proper scenario from original i would give it 10/10, but now its 9/10

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well fucking deserved. The game is amazing, and might end up as my game of the generation. I love it so much. It's either that or Bloodborne so far. I wouldn't be surprised if RE3 joined the fray too in four months.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Outselling the original is impressive! Congratulations Capcom, keep up the good work!

I'm hoping for more great sequels, revivals, and original titles in the future. They have soooo many great IP's to draw from.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations to Capcom. Really loved REmake 2 it's my GotY and the original is still one of my favorite games ever.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Completely well deserved. This game brought me back into Resident Evil. Between RE, DMC, and MH, Capcom really is having a great period of success.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It's an awesome game that's so replayable. Honestly, there's never been a better time to jump into this series than right now.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Incredible game, happy for it (even though it doesn't surpass the original in every way)

They sold a ton relative to the size of the market at the time, which was tiny compared to what it is now.

5 million in PS1 terms was crazy. In PS4 terms it's pretty good but not amazing for a AAA, depending on its budget.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't actually above the original though (you have ~5m for the default PS1 release, then another ~800k for the Dualshock rerelease)? Especially not if you count ports which add at least another million.

EDIT: Yeah, OP is using the Platinum page which doesn't count more than the original SKU for it.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite games of the generation! Replayed it 20+ times, and hoping it gets GOTY at TGAs. Well-deserved sales milestone.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deserved...even if it didn't match the greatness of RE2 (98). Really hope they knock it out of the park with RE3R.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I think people keep forgetting RE2 hasn't even been out a year yet. 5 million is great, and well deserved.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
Such a good game the one I most enjoyed next to dmcv this year.
If only we didn't have to wait for next gen in order to get a new fighting game.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Well deserved results!

This game will remain as one of my all-time favourites forever.

Man, I can't believe RE is back baby.
What a time to be a die-hard RE fan!

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Did better than the original? Damn, nice. I guess there's the answer to the thread from earlier "When do you want Capcom to stop Remaking Resident evil?" with results like that, don't think they'll be slowing down anytime soon.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
tenor.gif

I still remember the early to mid-00s like yesterday, back when the series was slowly dying in terms of sales. Look at us now, complete global saturation.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017

Yea it did sell a shit ton. RE2 remake has three different skus, whereas RE2 was exclusive to the PS1 for awhile anyways.

Pretty awesome news though, that game deserves it. I still can't believe how soon RE3 is going to be here!

Oct 25, 2017
Like it's noted earlier, RE7 sales dropped off severely after the first year even with the DLC, so whether or not RE2 (with seemingly no DLC) keeps up the pace or RE3 just stops it in its tracks is up in the air.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
People misremember how games sold in the 90s. Here are the PSX bestsellers list:
No. 16 is RE2 with nearly 5 mil, right behind FF IX. The 2nd bestselling game is FF VII with 9.8 mil. The often derided FF XV (i like it) sold 8.4 mil last November to compare. The 3 (!) versions of RE 1 meanwhile solid 5 million combined on the PSX. RE 3 sold 3,5 mil.

Who knows how well the PC, N64 and Dreamcast (lol) versions solid a year to 2 years later but I do know that the Gamecube version bombed. Yes, there is a Gamecube conversion of RE2, RE3 and CVX. All seperate releases. Capcom is and remains crazy.