• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Great job Capcom! I hope they go full Sega with IP revivals too once RE3 is out of the way.

Breath of Fire looks too good to be left in the state it's in and how about showing those fighters some love!

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Man Capcom are truly back in full force. I remember how inept they had become last generation, definitely due to chasing the trends and trying to stay afloat due to how expensive development had become on consoles.

DMC5, Resident Evil 7, Street Fighter V Arcade, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Monster Hunter Worlds, Iceborne... God what a come back its been for them.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Actually I was just thinking: is the roughly 5 mil number for the original RE2 including the N64, Dreamcast, etc. sales, or was it just PS1?

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. Congratulations to Capcom.

Whole the remake was somewhat disappointing compared the OG, it was still competent enough to stand on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Man Capcom are truly back in full force. I remember how inept they had become last generation, definitely due to chasing the trends and trying to stay afloat due to how expensive development had become on consoles.

DMC5, Resident Evil 7, Street Fighter V Arcade, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Monster Hunter Worlds, Iceborne... God what a come back its been for them.
+ Mega Man!

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yes! Always happy to see a great single-player game finding financial success.

Congrats Capcom and keep'em coming.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new Resident Evil 3 is a remake of the 1999 release of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, which went on to sell a cumulative 3.5 million units

It must of sold way more than that. Those just PS1 numbers, it got several PC releases, DC, GC and PSN.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
The new Resident Evil 3 is a remake of the 1999 release of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, which went on to sell a cumulative 3.5 million units

It must of sold way more than that. Those just PS1 numbers, it got several PC releases, DC, GC and PSN.
It might have sold a decent bit more but none of those other releases broke 1M individually

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Capcom numbers for older stuff is all kinds of messed up. Likely due to not caring as much back then for that stuff.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I mean yay I guess, but how does it compare in sales to the amount of people who are actually playing video games at this point in time? I've never understood comparisons like this, since they are never apples to apples. There's a hell of a lot more people that are gaming now on consoles and PC than there were in 1998, and in 1998 having a simultaneous PC release was like finding a unicorn, nevermind how many games were exclusive back then for the longest time too on any given console.

Anyway, it's good that they are able to move massive amounts of their games again...but has this topped the sales of RE6 yet?

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Congrats to them. It's certainly a good game, an almost perfect balance between old and new (which could not have been easy). And pretty darn scary too.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom numbers for older stuff is all kinds of messed up. Likely due to not caring as much back then for that stuff.
They not the only ones, Square Enix does it for Tomb Raider, they praise the reboot as best selling but lump together 5 SKUs, then compare it against PS1 only numbers of the original game from 20 years ago. I guess that on Eidos too though, do they just not know what the PC sold somehow, or count steam and GoG, and don't wanna count PSN (and Saturn but whatever)?

Oct 30, 2017
Congratulations Capcom, they found the perfect formula for the franchise finally again.. 5M and less than a year... nicely done.

Hope RE8 and the following main RE games all follow the footsteps of RE2R and RE3R.. 3rd person camera.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a good game although I've fucked up my play through about halfway so gonna have to start again.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yay, go RE2!

Hope the best for RE3 too. Let's wrap up good on this epic remake trilogy!

But why is it a meme lol...

Anyway Capcom is on fire right now. They god the Midus touch.

Shinji and Hideki tried to resurrect their franchises. And did initially only to see the popularity fall with sequels.

Then Capcom decided to have a go.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

Resident Evil 3 is one of the worst selling games in the mainline franchise, it's barely above RE0 and Code Veronica.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I think you mean best selling. It their 15th biggest release of any game, and only RE2, R2make, 5,6 and 7 have outsold it in the RE series. And its numbers are from PS1 days.

I don't know where you've seen this. RE1, RE2, R2Make, 4, 5, 6 and 8 all outsold it. Hell, even REmake outsold it now.
Whether you like it or not, RE3 is the least selling mainline game and the least selling of the classics.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely deserved, had a blast with it and finished it like 6 times in the first month.

I'm gonna play more during the holiday vacations, it's just THAT good!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great news, best RE game made, cannot wait for RE3 and hopefully RE4 remake, simply a stunning achievement.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Theres a lot of misconceptions going on , regarding some of the older games' sales.

1) Capcom used to list sales on an individual SKU basis for their older games like on SNES,PS1,PS2. This means the sales figures you see for older games won't include discounted SKUs like the "Greatest Hits" or "Player's Choice" version.
This becomes very apparent for older series whose Franchise sales don't lineup with Platinum Chart sales. Even with just 1 or 2 entries.

2) Capcom started adding SKUs for games released in the PS3/360 Era but still separated based on Platform SKU. PC ports wouldn't be added to the 360/PS3 version sales.

3) After the release of RE7 , Capcom started combining all Platforms and SKUs for their games. So the newer games have a far more accurate representation of sales numbers.

Yea maybe back then it was more impressive to show investors how many Million sellers you could churn out. Instead of big total sales numbers.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where you've seen this. RE1, RE2, R2Make, 4, 5, 6 and 8 all outsold it. Hell, even REmake outsold it now.
Whether you like it or not, RE3 is the least selling mainline game and the least selling of the classics.
You're only reaching that outcome by combining Remasters and rereleases 20 years later, which RE3 hasn't received. It outsold games like RE4 on all its individual releases. Trying to paint RE3 as bad selling is a falsehood.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Resident Evil 7 (January 24, 2017)

>2.5 million units (as of January 27, 2017)
3.5 million units (as of March 31, 2017)
3.7 million units (as of June 30, 2017)
4.1 million units (as of September 30, 2017)
4.8 million units (as of December 31, 2017)

5.1 million units (as of March 31, 2018)
5.4 million units (as of June 30, 2018)
5.7 million units (as of September 30, 2018)
6.1 million units (as of December 31, 2018)

6.4 million units (as of March 31, 2019)
6.6 million units (as of June 30, 2019)
6.8 million units (as of September 30, 2019)

Resident Evil 2 (January 25, 2019)

3.0 million units (as of January 28, 2019)
4.0 million units (as of February 26, 2019)
4.2 million units (as of March 31, 2019)
4.5 million units (as of June 30, 2019)
4.7 million units (as of September 30, 2019)
>5 million units (as of December 4, 2019)

Like it's noted earlier, RE7 sales dropped off severely after the first year even with the DLC
No?

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy, just 7 years ago they were saying the market wouldn't be receptive to Survival Horror. Oh, how the times have changed. I just wish they realized this sooner.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ClutteredUnpleasantBufflehead-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People misremember how games sold in the 90s. Here are the PSX bestsellers list:
No. 16 is RE2 with nearly 5 mil, right behind FF IX. The 2nd bestselling game is FF VII with 9.8 mil. The often derided FF XV (i like it) sold 8.4 mil last November to compare. The 3 (!) versions of RE 1 meanwhile solid 5 million combined on the PSX. RE 3 sold 3,5 mil.

Who knows how well the PC, N64 and Dreamcast (lol) versions solid a year to 2 years later but I do know that the Gamecube version bombed. Yes, there is a Gamecube conversion of RE2, RE3 and CVX. All seperate releases. Capcom is and remains crazy.
I owned RE3 and 2 for Gamecube. Loved it.

Also what is it about Capcom that changed in recent years that made them come back swinging? They had a weird period but now they seem to be releasing banger after banger. Did management change? What gives?