Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
whoa this is fun.

it's easy for sure but that doesn't get in the way of enjoyment, it enhances instead.

Hunk is a goddman beast.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
Protip when playing Krauser:

Throw away the SMG
Throw away the SMG Ammo

Dude is the strongest of all the characters with Hunk following a distant 2nd.

Gosetsu

Oct 4, 2022
Can I play this without having beat the game?
Yes
U4xAceE.png

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Krauser is absolutely broken in this version of Mercs. Bro just tanks hits and keeps going. Just got an S++ run messing around in the village.

1875dc5c9fe53-0322-F6947-AC6-E784-CA3-4-C7-EBF7771-B20-E08-message-430311787065138-1680905418223.jpg

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
Got S rank on the first level, it seems fun enough but not really why I play Resident Evil so doubt I'll play it much more.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Man .......

How do we not have an actual full game with maps from all RE and full roster + coop u_u

It's so fun

SunBro

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
As a certified noob, i can say this is too easy. Got S rank during my very first try with each character in every stage. Krauser is the most op but hunk is the most fun. Luis is easily the worst. Moves slow, melee is weak, mayhem mode action is crap etc. But they did right with my boy hunk. His mayhem mode is the best right now.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Generally I think the Remake has lived up to the OG, and I rank them roughly equal in my mind.

But the Mercenaries mode feels like the first misstep. It's not bad, but it feels like a significant downgrade from the original. The more arcade-y feel of the OG just fits this mode a lot better than in the Remake, and the Remake levels are too simple and easy to encourage replaying them. A bit bummed, but at least it made getting the Hand Cannon easier since I still have a couple of S+ runs to do in the Campaign.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Generally I think the Remake has lived up to the OG, and I rank them roughly equal in my mind.

But the Mercenaries mode feels like the first misstep. It's not bad, but it feels like a significant downgrade from the original. The more arcade-y feel of the OG just fits this mode a lot better than in the Remake, and the Remake levels are too simple and easy to encourage replaying them. A bit bummed, but at least it made getting the Hand Cannon easier since I still have a couple of S+ runs to do in the Campaign.

I think it mostly just seems "worse" because we all know what to expect. And Krauser and HUNK are so powerful that they feel the same way Wesker did in the original Mercs.

I THINK if we had four (or five?????) levels to mess around with and the full slate of characters, and if there were more meaningful rewards to shoot for, it would feel less flash-in-the-pan than it does. Right now, having exactly one reward to shoot for just kind of feels like they didn't expect it to be a very long-lived mode.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Welp, got my Handcannon and had a pretty good time with it. Dont really see myself putting any more time into this mode beyond that, though.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
vndlvMW.jpg

Sweet jesus that was terrifying.

I don't think anyone here is bad but Luis is easily the hardest to use and requires wringing the most out of your RE4 knowledge. I find the trickiest part is initially kiting around the map to hit the time boosts while holding a combo, since you often have to do things like climb a ladder and headshot someone with the bolt action afterwards to stagger the combo reset while moving your slow ass around.

His mayhem is key to everything, even moving around the map since you can leave it behind you and keep on trucking, OR abuse the fuck out of the i-frames, deploying the tnt makes him immune and he takes no self damage from the explosion, so you can run at a chainsaw, drop it right at their feet then shoot the ground point blank. It's like bombing the spot Luis is on and he can do it multiple times per use, and gets it back quickly. It makes it the best thing to get people off you.

Otherwise, Leon is just solid as fuck. Strong weapons, strong mayhem.

Krauser and Hunk are completetly broken. Looking at the leaderboards, Krauser seems the best for score? It seems like melee kills give time so knife comboing everything is probbaly also getting you the most time and score. He is drowning in i-frames during it and even if you take hits rarely gets interrupted, has maxed out health on top of it and it's not like his kit is otherwise bad. Bow is great, mayhem is amazing, knife doesn't break. Enemy transforming on the ground? No reason to not stab them. Hunk has the instant kills but krauser basically does too, since you can always just flash -> shank with an unbreakable knife, albeit not on boss enemies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I was wrong. Everyone is pretty viable for scoring it seems.

I was gonna say, I think all four characters seem pretty viable, they just have very distinct strengths. Luis is probably the most challenging, but his gun is fucking strong, and his kicks actually do way more damage than his pipe attack, which is...interesting?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
After playing VR mercs, this feels fairly pointless. It's like fighting mannequins.

Maybe the PSVR2 version will be good

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only in chapter 8 in the game so some of the enemies were a 'surprise', lol. But it was kinda fun adapting to them on the fly and it was easy to get an S regardless. I assume the Handcannon is OP and I should avoid using it on my first playthrough.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Unlocked the Handcannon, super easy, but tried to play some Professional campaign and it wasn't infinite ammo?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is the Xbox aiming bullshit fixed yet? I played for an hour last night and no setting feels good. Even with acceleration maxed out, it's a wonky, delayed feeling mess.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I only played the Village so far (A ranks with Leon and Luis, S ranks with Krauser and Hunk), but this new Mercs seems quite forgiving -- you still receive a score and grade even if you're killed, and the Mayhem Mode is pretty reliable at taking down strong enemies. Also, the enemies seem easier to stagger and less likely to grab. Good stuff for Mercs.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Love how it's called Stinger, DMC DNA is forever

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This shit is too easy :(

RE5 and 6 Mercs still hasn't been topped

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
wait, how do you get the hand cannon?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Got my hand cannon in under an hour and I've never messed with mercenaries before. Took it into my current story run and it's a beast.

kerrang

Banned
Jan 13, 2019
Very little or no motivation to keep plaything this once you get the hand cannon as there are no trophies and challenges.
It's too simple and way too arcadish, literally no resource management is needed compared to 5 and 6 Merc.