• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Hopefully the right stick disabling & the PS4 missing the feature are both things that Capcom corrects before the launch of the game. But the fact that gyro aiming is an option at all is fantastic, they just need to fix the aforementioned problems.

Source: Resident Evil Village Gameplay Demo (pointed out by Brilliant Bidoof on Twitter)

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Come on lol

Someone tell the MHR team to give the RE team some tips.
MH is Dev 2, RE is Dev 1. Not sure if they can get in contact that easily, but I hope they do. MHR actually has solid gyro implementation (outside of the weirdness regarding Handheld Mode).

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
Cool for those that like gimmick controls I guess...

As long as it remains an option, I'm all for it.

jalkerway

Oct 27, 2017
Cool for those that like gimmick controls I guess...

As long as it remains an option, I'm all for it.
?? what even is this.
Motion controls, when well implemented, are not "gimmick controls". OP is pointing out that the RE8 implementation is not good, which is arguably worse than not including them at all.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
?? what even is this.
Motion controls, when well implemented, are not "gimmick controls". OP is pointing out that the RE8 implementation is not good, which is arguably worse than not including them at all.
Lol, that bait.

This is good news.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to ruffle feathers.

Its a cool option for those that like to waggle.

me personally, I've never been a fan of motion controls. Fuck the wii! I'm one of the few that never bought one. 🤘🏼

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
The regular aiming is really iffy too, well implemented gyro could've made it so much better. Hopefully they fix it

Apr 21, 2018
I'm sure this will get fixed in a patch. This is great news and hope that gyro aiming become standardized.

And another reason I'm majorly disappointed in Xbox's lack of gyro controls.

Sep 10, 2020

me personally, I've never been a fan of motion controls. Fuck the wii! I'm one of the few that never bought one. 🤘🏼
This is the cringiest thing ever, even setting aside the fact you clearly have no idea what gyro aiming means

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ps: I love motion and gyro, way more accurate than right stick aiming

But the best is both combined, kinda like splatoon

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Camera inversion also inverts gyro. I don't really use gyro aiming, but an inverted gyro felt odd to me

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ps: I love motion and gyro, way more accurate than right stick aiming

But the best is both combined, kinda like splatoon
Technically the best implementation is gyro + flick stick, but the right stick should still be used either way. If you're not gonna use it for flick stick, the right stick should be used for regular camera controls while the gyroscope handles the finer adjustments.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
the only time moving the ENTIRE CONTROLLER as a gyro/camera/aiming made sense was the 3ds, since it was also the entire machine. wii u gamepad and the dualshock way of doing it felt really unintuitive. wii remote / joycons / move controllers are the way to go.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
the only time moving the ENTIRE CONTROLLER as a gyro/camera/aiming made sense was the 3ds, since it was also the entire machine. wii u gamepad and the dualshock way of doing it felt really unintuitive. wii remote / joycons / move controllers are the way to go.
It works just fine with Splatoon.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Technically the best implementation is gyro + flick stick, but the right stick should still be used either way. If you're not gonna use it for flick stick, the right stick should be used for regular camera controls while the gyroscope handles the finer adjustments.
Exactly

Disabling it is the wrong choice, but happy it's in there in some form

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
That's really cool but they need to fix those issues. I will just play on pc with my steam controller so it won't be a problem. But I'll be more inclined to buy games for ps5 if they include gyro options so they all should!

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil

This is the same as assuming that people playing games by mashing ALL THE BUTTONS - as commonly depicted in movies and ads - is an accurate representation of how using a controller works.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully that will change, because it's a clear indicator of not understanding what people are asking for.
Personally I prefer gyro aiming to only activate when aiming, rather than always being active - and there's no reason to disable the stick.
I don't use it to fine-tune my aim - when I'm holding the left trigger, that's how I'm aiming. I adjust things so that I can cover an arc of about 180°.
It may not work quite so well in RE8 if it's anything like RE7, though, as RE7 zoomed in the view a huge amount whenever you used ADS.

Another thing many games get wrong is that they use rotation rather than translation to turn.

This limits the range of motion (accuracy) and is hell on the wrists.

Translation allows for much finer control, and is gentle on the wrists.

How has no xbox or ps4/5 dev ever played a shooter on Switch?
Capcom don't know how mice work in games either.
RE7 controlled fine, actually, but the RE2 and RE3 remakes had deadzones and acceleration on the mouse input - which is the last thing anyone wants.

I disagree. I think it can be very awkward to use gyro aiming on the 3DS, Vita, or Switch in hand-held mode, when moving the system to aim also moves the screen you're trying to look at - especially with 3D enabled on the 3DS.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
The backlash against gyro controls because it's "motion control" is funny because…controlling the camera with a mouse is also "motion control"? You're moving your mouse physically, usually with even more vigor compared to someone using gyro controls. I usually play gyro controls with my arms rested on a table for finer control and it's way less tiring than m/kb.

On the topic of gyro only controls…I think it's bad because it's tiring to watch, not because it's tiring on the wrists/arms. Fully gyro cameras are also a bit rougher on spectators (which, you know, is a very fun thing to have while playing horror games!). Full gyro + stick (with option to disable specific axes on both input methods) should be the way to go though of course, there should be an option to also just have it during contextual moments (e.g. aiming).

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The backlash against gyro controls because it's "motion control" is funny because…controlling the camera with a mouse is also "motion control"? You're moving your mouse physically, usually with even more vigor compared to someone using gyro controls. I usually play gyro controls with my arms rested on a table for finer control and it's way less tiring than m/kb.

On the topic of gyro only controls…I think it's bad because it's tiring to watch, not because it's tiring on the wrists/arms. Fully gyro cameras are also a bit rougher on spectators (which, you know, is a very fun thing to have while playing horror games!). Full gyro + stick (with option to disable specific axes on both input methods) should be the way to go though of course, there should be an option to also just have it during contextual moments (e.g. aiming).
While not from the same Capcom division, Monster Hunter Rise actually gives you that option.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I have no clue why this was added in the way it is at the moment. My only guess is for photo mode because it's literally unplayable as-is.

Nov 21, 2017
Enjoy gyro assisted aiming in the last of us 2 and splatoon. Really feels like it should be a standard option. Feels very intuitive.

Not interested in whatever this nonsense is for RE8. Sounds awful

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hopefully she ends up passing the message along.

image0.png

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gyro aiming was so rare on PS4 that there has to be a reason why it was barely ever there, so I wouldn't count on it coming to PS4. But yeah, they should fix the right stick issue.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the PC version were to have gyro enabled could I theoretically use my Switch pro controller with that? Or is it not possible?

The idea of gyro aiming in RE sounds amazing and I don't have a PS5