User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif
Is that series a Live-Action Teen Titans Go? :v

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people care so much about such bad movies? I really can't fathom why the movies would even enter someone's brain, let alone elicit any sort of desire one way or the other.

OP
OP
residentgrigo

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Titans has a god tier take on Jason Grunge_Hamster:

I actually like that he seemingly never died before becoming Red Hood. We´ll see soon enough. Titans is a solid show that WB meddled with waaay too much but its move to HBO Max should do it good. TT Go itself is fire. It got 6 seasons, a movie and then some. Sometimes DC fans just win.
And sometimes we have to rattle the cage a bit. The home media release for TSC and some of the international deals have already been announced. There will be a McFarlane toyline, a cinematic release and more. WB is putting legit money behind the project. As they should. They have a 4 hour extravaganza on their hands that no one will forget any time soon. March lastly proved itself a good release window for the film/series. Nothing was working for years until all the cards magically alligined. What a story Zach. Trailer coming Soon TM.

For the record. Snyder shot exactly 2 new scenes for TSC late last year. The Knightmare segment with Batman's Berzerkers (a name from a previous script that might be used this time) and a scene Snyder wasn´t able to film in 2016. The Martian Manhunter bit?
The 2011 JLA script WB courted Affleck for to direct. You might recognize some stuff and Will Beall will get a story credit on TSC.
www.thewrap.com

The 'Justice League' That Might Have Been: We've Seen the Script (Exclusive) - TheWrap

No Aquaman, Batman and Wonder Woman's child, and Superman enslaved by Darkseid -- here's the early "Justice League" script that never made it to the screen

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017

I actually like that he seemingly never died before becoming Red Hood. We´ll see soon enough. Titans is a solid show that WB meddled with waaay too much but its move to HBO Max should do it good. TT Go itself is fire. It got 6 seasons, a movie and then some. Sometimes DC fans just win.
And sometimes we have to rattle the cage a bit. The home media release for TSC and some of the international deals have already been announced. There will be a McFarlane toyline, a cinematic release and more. WB is putting legit money behind the project. As they should. They have a 4 hour extravaganza on their hands that no one will forget any time soon. March lastly proved itself a good release window for the film/series. Nothing was working for years until all the cards magically alligined. What a story Zach. Trailer coming Soon TM.

For the record. Snyder shot exactly 2 new scenes for TSC late last year. The Knightmare segment with Batman's Berzerkers (a name from a previous script that might be used this time) and a scene Snyder wasn´t able to film in 2016. The Martian Manhunter bit?
The 2011 JLA script WB courted Affleck for to direct. You might recognize some stuff and Will Beall will get a story credit on TSC.
www.thewrap.com

The 'Justice League' That Might Have Been: We've Seen the Script (Exclusive) - TheWrap

No Aquaman, Batman and Wonder Woman's child, and Superman enslaved by Darkseid -- here's the early "Justice League" script that never made it to the screen

I have literally no stake in this whatsoever as I was just thread-browsing but your posts are coming off as really concerning.

Are you Ok? Your level of attachment to a social media marketing campaign does not seem mentally healthy.

Jun 13, 2020
I'm very confused about this whole thing. The timeline of events is:
-Snyder makes Man of Steel and everyone hates it
-Snyder makes BvS and everyone hates it
-Snyder is replaced for Justice League
-Snyder hasn't made anything since and people still seem to hate his movies
-People demand Snyder returns to the DCEU

Can someone explain this?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part of this entire thing was last night during the college football national championship where the HBO Max commercial just called this a director's cut and dropped the "Snyder Cut" tag.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017

"Snyder makes Man of Steel and everyone hates it"

I'm confused when did this happen?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

www.thewrap.com

1*HI4kj-TPAQrfQkAdrw2KTA.png

They have a 4 hour extravaganza on their hands that no one will forget any time soon.

Oh, I'm pretty sure it'll be the talk of the internet.

Aug 13, 2019

Not entirely accurate. People actually liked Man of Steel, presumably because it's the best live-action DBZ movie, despite being a trash Superman movie.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Not entirely accurate. People actually liked Man of Steel, presumably because it's the best live-action DBZ movie, despite being a trash Superman movie.

Yeah. Man of Steel is a terrible movie, but some people liked the punching. The trouble is that a group of people got so invested in defending it that they convinced themselves that they had to keep defending the subsequent even worse movies.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a bad movie, just because there's a vocal group that likes it doesn't make it any less bad.
it's a good movie and the vocal hate for it doesn't make it any less good

these threads have so much thought-terminating "lol it's a cult" shit, when for almost any other media franchise, having a small but devoted following would be celebrated

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
"Snyder makes Man of Steel and everyone hates it"

I'm confused when did this happen?
Yeah. Man of Steel is a terrible movie, but some people liked the punching. The trouble is that a group of people got so invested in defending it that they convinced themselves that they had to keep defending the subsequent even worse movies.

"It's a bad movie" might be charged but Superman's fight with Zod up to him snapping his neck was largely controversial from day 1, with a lot of detractors citing it as a if not the main sour point.

Its 53% on RT largely reflects the mixed attitudes towards it at that time.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

these threads have so much thought-terminating "lol it's a cult" shit, when for almost any other media franchise, having a small but devoted following would be celebrated

Not when the devoted cult harrasses people online.

In any case, even Mark Waid, whose "Birthright" was one of the key inspirations for the movie, disliked it.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Whether one person considers a movie to be "good" or "bad" is inherently a subjective thing, but the movie definitely has major, concrete issues both as standalone movie and as an adaptation. When you add the context of it being planned as the start of a cinematic universe, it's a complete misfire.

I think the major difference between Snyder fans and other small but devoted followings is that the Snyder fans are weirdly obsessive and combatative about it. It's not so much about discussing the actual, tangible issue with the movies so much as accusing everyone of being mean to Zack. Any criticism of the movie seems to be perceived as an attack on Zack and themselves. Look at the persecution complex and rhetoric about "proving everyone wrong" in this very thread.

I love tons of terrible movies. I watch hundreds of terrible movies a year. Man of Steel isn't a terrible movie, but it's a clumsy, dour, poorly-told movie, and an even worse adaptation of the Superman character. I can understand people watching it and going "that was a good enough time, I guess", but I just can't fathom people obsessively demanding more movies just like it. It's like a group of people watching The Mummy and then demanding a continuation of The Dark Universe.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
These threads have so much thought-terminating "lol it's a cult" shit, when for almost any other media franchise, having a small but devoted following would be celebrated
I agree there, but not all small devoted fanbases have a history of unchecked abusive behaviour towards film critics and studio staff like this one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone here is that way, and no doubt that loud violent voice is the minority, but it's definitely beats it's chest loud enough to get most of the attention.

And as for the cult talk, some of the people who talk about this guy and his movies have literally self identified themselves as the Snyder Cult, hell there's a post in this thread with those words, so I'm sure they won't take offense to that, even if it's a bit of a dangerous mentality to take.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not when the devoted cult harrasses people online.
I agree there, but not all small devoted fanbases have a history of unchecked abusive behaviour towards film critics and studio staff like this one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone here is that way, and no doubt that loud violent voice is the minority, but it's definitely beats it's chest loud enough to get most of the attention.

And as for the cult talk, some of the people who talk about this guy and his movies have literally self identified themselves as the Snyder Cult, hell there's a post in this thread with those words, so I'm sure they won't take offense to that, even if it's a bit of a dangerous mentality to take.
From my observation, dislike for Snyder and his films is what overwhelmingly drives the negative attention on Era, and then "some asshole DC fans harassed people on Twitter" is a motte-and-bailey fallback used to justify the contempt. If I posted a thread pining for someone to make a true finished cut of Richard Williams' The Thief and the Cobbler, no one would post a "Man this is sad" gif. But it would be a lot more likely if I posted a thread pining for a sequel to the Michel Gondry The Green Hornet.

In any case, even Mark Waid, whose "Birthright" was one of the key inspirations for the movie, disliked it.
this is an absolutely worthless gauge for the quality of any adaptation. would you think any Spider-Man movie was worse if you found out Steve Ditko's crotchety ass didn't like it?

I think the major difference between Snyder fans and other small but devoted followings is that the Snyder fans are weirdly obsessive and combatative about it. It's not so much about discussing the actual, tangible issue with the movies so much as accusing everyone of being mean to Zack. Any criticism of the movie seems to be perceived as an attack on Zack and themselves. Look at the persecution complex and rhetoric about "proving everyone wrong" in this very thread.
The reality is, only the most weirdly obsessive and combative fans of Zack Snyder''s work would be bothering to still post about it on Era. I've only recently watched Man of Steel and Batman v Superman for the first time so these threads lure me in because I had fresh, positive interest in them. But the wall-to-wall contempt for the subject, and the lack of engagement when I effortpost about their merits, makes it feel like I should just piss off. So of course the people who stay are going to be diehards.

Last edited:

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
From my observation, dislike for Snyder and his films is what overwhelmingly drives the negative attention on Era, and then "some asshole DC fans harassed people on Twitter" is a motte-and-bailey fallback used to justify the contempt.

Oh, I'm just talking in general terms about the fanbase, not so much about discussions here - think I got some of my wire's crossed, sorry.

I think alot of it here could be due to a dislike of Snyder, sure, but given how many of the people here enjoy movies and comic books I think a massive chunk stems from people just wanting well adapted versions of characters they love and well done movies..which these have not been so far (subjective obviously, but that's what the majority seem to think).

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
holy shit are there really two of us??

It's a great movie. I can understand the humour not being for everyone, or Green Hornet fans not being pleased with the liberties taken while adapting the characters, but I quite enjoyed it and would be down for however many sequels with the same energy that they wanted to throw at me.

The inventiveness in the visuals and the action scenes was a treat, and Christoph Waltz was pitch-perfect for what they were doing.

So yeah, Team Hornet for Life.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm just talking in general terms about the fanbase, not so much about discussions here - think I got some of my wire's crossed, sorry.

I think alot of it here could be due to a dislike of Snyder, sure, but given how many of the people here enjoy movies and comic books I think a massive chunk stems from people just wanting well adapted versions of characters they love and well done movies..which these have not been so far (subjective obviously, but that's what the majority seem to think).
This is exactly it. Fans attribute it to some conspiracy, or just hating Zack Snyder outside of his filmmaking (why? No reason apparently). And often they imply that real DC fans like the films, and people who don't are just Marvel fanboys.

That kind of thinking doesnt line up with how people really behave, outside of those extreme niche bubbles just like the ones that a lot of mega Snyder fans live in. People that dont like these films still have a lot to say because they care about the characters. They were a bigger presence in a lot of our childhoods than Marvel properties thanks to Bruce Timm shows, Donner Superman, Burton Batman, Nolan Batman. These are beloved cultural treasures because they were good and they want new films that they can love too. We don't have long threads of people hating on the Jonah Hex film because very few people know or care who Jonah Hex is.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is exactly it. Fans attribute it to some conspiracy, or just hating Zack Snyder outside of his filmmaking (why? No reason apparently). And often they imply that real DC fans like the films, and people who don't are just Marvel fanboys.

That kind of thinking doesnt line up with how people really behave, outside of those extreme niche bubbles just like the ones that a lot of mega Snyder fans live in. People that dont like these films still have a lot to say because they care about the characters. They were a bigger presence in a lot of our childhoods than Marvel properties thanks to Bruce Timm shows, Donner Superman, Burton Batman, Nolan Batman. These are beloved cultural treasures because they were good and they want new films that they can love too. We don't have long threads of people hating on the Jonah Hex film because very few people know or care who Jonah Hex is.
But you can literally see that accusation playing out in this thread in the opposite direction. "Real comics fans who like the real DC characters don't like Snyder's DC films, and the people who disagree are toxic, mentally ill fanboys." You're right that that kind of thinking is conspiratorial, people are just liking the films they like.

Oct 25, 2017
But you can literally see that accusation playing out in this thread in the opposite direction. "Real comics fans who like the real DC characters don't like Snyder's DC films, and the people who disagree are toxic, mentally ill fanboys." You're right that that kind of thinking is conspiratorial, people are just liking the films they like.
I certainly don't agree with speculating that someone is mentally ill online. That said, the whole "toxic mentally ill fanboy" thing was never about simply disagreeing about a film being good. I see this dishonest framing all the time, that people are just being bullied for liking the film, and not for all the bullshit around it. It doesnt help that someone's posting style (which is more blogging and less discussing) draws a lot of alarm from people who arent used to how intense the worship gets.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The reality is, only the most weirdly obsessive and combative fans of Zack Snyder''s work would be bothering to still post about it on Era. I've only recently watched Man of Steel and Batman v Superman for the first time so these threads lure me in because I had fresh, positive interest in them. But the wall-to-wall contempt for the subject, and the lack of engagement when I effortpost about their merits, makes it feel like I should just piss off. So of course the people who stay are going to be diehards.
For what it's worth, I enjoyed reading your analysis of BvS's themes in the other thread. You're correct that people who have the tiniest bit of interest to dissect the movie have stopped engaging on this forum a long time ago simply because of the nature of the beast. I don't blame people for disliking BvS since its reception has basically torpedoed the DC cinematic universe. It has so much baggage that you can't in good faith have discourse about BvS as a standalone movie since general opinions have already solidified in people's minds. My advice is to like what you like. There's not enough time in a person's life to change people's perspectives on controversial subject matter, especially those pertaining to comic book movies.

Jan 4, 2021
-Snyder makes Man of Steel and it's decent but not without controversial choices. Great casting. Maybe the sequels will be better.
WB PANICS AND WANTS SOME OF THAT AVENGERS PIE
-Snyder is forced to make BvS rather than a standalone sequel to further grow the Superman character and WB neuters it's already overly complicated plot (because Snyder has to shove an MCU worth of films into one to introduce both Batman and WW) into a mess. Ultimate Cut is better but still, what could've been if they had been allowed to give the characters their own individual films first.
-WB POOPS ITSELF AND RECUTS SUICIDE SQUAD TO HELL, FINAL PRODUCT IS AN INCOHERENT MESS
-Snyder is going ham on his JL when WB PANICS AND WANTS SOME OF THAT AVENGERS JUICE and is replaced for Justice League because Whedons hahas are better than Snyder's (at least thematically consistent) murderverse
-JL IS TRASH
- Well, there's another version of the movie mostly done and so, out of curiosity, perhaps respect to the creators and actors, and because Snyder's movies were enjoyable to some, some fans want it Released