RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
im-954481

By Natasha Khan

Attention, shoppers: Retailers are rethinking your cashier job.

Store operators are modifying how they use self-checkout stations in a bid to boost their bottom lines and improve the shopping experience for customers.

Some retailers are pulling kiosks out of stores as a way to keep a lid on theft. Others, including Target, Dollar General and the regional grocery chain Schnucks, have limited how many items customers can bring to self-checkouts to avoid bottlenecks and alleviate headaches for staff.

In March, Five Below Chief Executive Officer Joel Anderson said the retail chain limited the number of open self-checkout registers and positioned employees at more checkout lanes to assist customers.

Walmart pulled self-checkout lanes from a handful of stores in recent months based on feedback from associates and customers, a spokesman said.

"When self-checkouts were first introduced, they were intended for smaller orders," said Paul Simon, a Schnucks spokesman. When its use grew to more items, there was a need for a rethink, Simon said.

Schnucks now limits its self-checkout lanes to 10 items or fewer. While the primary intention is to improve customer service and checkout efficiency, Simon said the company expects some reduction of theft as well. "This item limit will help us maintain our costs while keeping the prices lower for our customers," he said.

Shoppers want easy checkout, but labor is often a store's biggest expense. Self-checkout was introduced to reduce the cost needed to staff registers adequately, with companies such as CVS Health deploying them 20 years ago. With self-checkout, one worker can monitor and help shoppers at several registers.

Its use accelerated during the Covid-19 pandemic, when human-to-human contact lessened. But self-checkouts have contributed to increased "shrink"—an industry term used to describe losses from theft, lost inventory or damaged goods—because shoppers make mistakes or steal. Retailers, hesitant to spend more on staffing, are deciding if they prefer to reduce labor costs or combat shrink.

About a fifth of people who used self-checkouts said they accidentally took an item without paying for it, according to a survey of 2,000 shoppers last year by LendingTree. Some 15% of self-checkout users admitted to stealing an item on purpose.

On social media, some users have posted videos of shoppers scanning a lower-price item instead of the higher-price item that should have been scanned.

"Shoplifting used to be mostly invisible," said David Johnston, vice president of asset protection and retail operations at the National Retail Federation, a trade group. "What we are seeing today are methods that are open and brazen."

The average shrink rate for retailers increased in 2022 from the prior year, but it was in line with 2019 and 2020 levels, according to an NRF report in September.

Most of Target's stores have a policy of restricting customers to 10 items in self-checkout lines. When the retail chain started testing the policy at some stores, it found checkout times were cut in half compared with locations without the limit.

The company rolled out the initiative nationwide starting in March. Staff noticed a reduction in the amount of missing inventory in stores, a company representative said.

Enforcement can vary by location, and some Target shoppers said they weren't aware of the policy.

"I didn't really notice that they changed it," said Lorna David, who made a recent visit to a Target in Manhattan to buy Takis tortilla snacks and some toothpaste.

"What they really need to fix is how long I had to wait to get stuff unlocked," said David, referring to a tactic retailers have used to combat theft—locking up products such as detergent and deodorant behind plexiglass.

Walmart, the nation's largest retailer, said it removed self-checkout lanes and replaced them with cashier-staffed lanes at locations including stores in Cleveland and Shrewsbury, Mo. When checkout access is limited, some stores are designating self-checkout lanes for Walmart+ customers, who pay a membership fee of $98 a year.

"We believe the changes will improve the in-store shopping experience and give our associates the chance to provide more personalized and efficient service," said Charles Crowson, a Walmart spokesman.

Walmart added more self-checkouts to stores years ago but quickly found that they came with challenges including higher levels of theft and consumers' fumbling with the technology. In response, it quietly disabled the weight sensors at self-checkout scanners because they triggered too many "wait for assistance" messages that annoyed shoppers and staff.

In 2022, Dollar General said self-checkout was so successful and popular with customers that it tried making some stores entirely self-checkout. A year later, CEO Todd Vasos pulled back on those plans.

"We had relied and started to rely too much this year on self-checkout in our stores," Vasos said on a December earnings call. "We should be using self-checkout as a secondary checkout vehicle, not a primary."

In March, the company said it would remove self-checkout for stores with the highest levels of shrink. For remaining stores with self-checkout, it would limit customers to scanning five items or fewer.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
lol Introduced to cut employee/cashiers, turns out it's biting them in the butt, now reversing course.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Our grocery store had them, then took them out, then put more in, so I would find it funny if they took them back out again.

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
My target opened more lanes up, but staffed them with the slowest folks imaginable. I think that is their passive way to say "see look how much better self checkout is!"

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I like self checkout when I'm grabbing a handful of items. It's nice and fast in places where there are long lines and a lot of people are just grabbing a couple of things. I hate that some of my local grocery stores have been adding more and more of these while most of their checkout lanes are unmanned and I have to wait 10 minutes to checkout with a full cart.

You can't buy alcohol with them here so you end up seeing people buying 3 items including some beer or just a bottle of wine to take to a dinner party standing in these same lines as people with a full cart.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I like using self-checkout myself but I hate that retailers shift workloads to their customers to cut employee hours while not providing any value to the customers. And then the extreme of having 1 cashier to 20 self-checkouts in some stores in my area. Like, it's one thing to self-checkout 15 items, but when I've got a full cart its a fucking nightmare.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
I like self checkout when I'm grabbing a handful of items. It's nice and fast in places where there are long lines and a lot of people are just grabbing a couple of things. I hate that some of my local grocery stores have been adding more and more of these while most of their checkout lanes are unmanned and I have to wait 10 minutes to checkout with a full cart.

You can't buy alcohol with them here so you end up seeing people buying 3 items including some beer or just a bottle of wine to take to a dinner party standing in these same lines as people with a full cart.
I've bought alcohol at self checkout (in Texas, at least). Someone has to come over and check your id and hit a few buttons on the screen but that's it.

Self checkout is awesome. You can get organic produce for nonorganic prices!

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart added more self-checkouts to stores years ago but quickly found that they came with challenges including higher levels of theft and consumers' fumbling with the technology. In response, it quietly disabled the weight sensors at self-checkout scanners because they triggered too many "wait for assistance" messages that annoyed shoppers and staff.
Don't blame customers for those sensors not f&*%ing working!

now where will i scan video games as bananas :(
You can get organic produce for nonorganic prices!
Dude, did you just admit to a crime?

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
It's been so easy to not go to Target anymore. They have someone at the front checking to make sure you have less than 10 items for self checkout, 2/3rds of which are just sitting there now off limits. Very good, very friendly, comfortable environment :)

Just feels like more punishing all customers for some loose, politically motivated "crime is outta control" narrative.

Last edited:

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
I use self check out like 90% of the time. Only time I use a cashier is when I go grocery shopping. Never stole anything but can see how easy it is.

I've noticed more merchandise security at target though as of late. So in reality they're not saving any money on labor. I had one following me around the store watching me and it was weird as fuck.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Walmart around here stopped hiring as many cashiers when they went big on the self-checkouts, and now that they're cutting back on the self-checkouts, they're still only staffing a handful of cashiers which is just making things worse than before. Their stores having 30 empty registers was always a meme, but now it's more like 50 because it includes like 20 closed self-checkouts, too.

Chasex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's extremely convenient for 10 or less items, and tedious for anything more. That's how self checkout started and how it should have remained.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
All for them stopping people with full carts going through the self checkout. Backs the line up.

Oct 27, 2017
The Walmarts around me all just remodeled to add way more self checkouts.

I'd be perfectly happy if they'd hire more people to run cash registers. I feel like I'm being forced to use self checkout since there's barely any normal lines open.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I can't stand going to my local Walmart anymore for anything.

I usually only go for 1 or 2 things, and it's just not worth the inflated checkout times now that they only keep a handful of self-checkout stations at peak time, and turn them off completely later in the night, and usually only have a handful of incredibley slow regular checkout lines (no fast lanes, so you get stuck behind people buying entire carts of stuff).

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see the numbers on how much companies invested in these whack ass self checkout kiosks
The Walmart I worked at literally got rid of all their regular registers during a front end remodel a year or so after I left. The only ones they had at all were for money services and pharmacy. I can only imagine how awful that must have been. Heard that store either was or will be remodeled again to add registers back.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I hate self check out at every store I have been too, other then CVS and Meijer, those ones work really well.
Everything else has been trash.

But I guess I also rarely ever buy more then 4 things at a CVS, so I guess that makes sense.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I hate self check out at every store I have been too, other then CVS and Meijer, those ones work really well.
Everything else has been trash.

But I guess I also rarely ever buy more then 4 things at a CVS, so I guess that makes sense.

Meijer is amazing because they have huge banks of them and they are almost all well functioning.

The absolute worst is Kroger. Often they'll have only 1 or 0 cashiers open so everyone is forced to use self checkout with huge carts full of groceries.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I just do online ordering and pickup for Kroger. Thank you pandemic.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought alcohol at self checkout (in Texas, at least). Someone has to come over and check your id and hit a few buttons on the screen but that's it.

Self checkout is awesome. You can get organic produce for nonorganic prices!

It's illegal here. I've lived in other places where it is allowed. The only time I ever saw someone obviously steal something using self-checkout was an elderly woman with a magnum bottle of wine. She pretended to scan it then walked out while the person overseeing those lanes was busy with another customer.

Oct 25, 2017
My Walmart just remodeled from about 10 self checkouts to 30+

but they also removed the old register lines and replaced them with the much smaller new ones so the ended keeping about the same amount of cashier lines.

One thing that really sucks is when you need a person to come approve some dumb shit.
Medicine... ok makes sense
Spray paint.... still dumb but whatever
Superglue................jesus

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
25/75 self-checkout for 10 items or less is the best combo. Let me get in and out if I'm scanning like 3 things. Otherwise, the average joe is not scanning and bagging as quickly as a professional.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One of our Target's still is running theirs like normal, another one it is closed.

They actually do have more lanes open than before, but none of them are "express" so if you only have a couple things you are guaranteed to be behind someone with a ton of stuff.

NativeTongue

Oct 4, 2023
NYC
Customers are more inclined to come if you just have more cashiers. The fear that they'll have people "standing around doing nothing" during non-busy hours makes them do it. I'm surprised more stores just don't go the Trader Joe's route and just crosstrain the entire store

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If y'all have to lock up deodorants and detergent behind plexiglass, shopping in your country seems to have more pressing issues than self checkout convenience.
What the frick.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
And that's why we can't have nice things.

I go to self-checkouts for 90% of my shopping .

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My closest Wal-Mart literally just finished a whole remodel where they got rid of 90% of their registers in order to make room for more self check out. One of the other 3 local Walmarts is in the middle of doing the same thing. So, this news seems weird as shit to me.

I had a funny experience at Meijer last week, though. I was buying a bunch of stuff for someone, then just a couple of items for myself. So, two different orders. I did the other persons shit first, then my two items. It buzzed an employee over for no discernable reason. Then when the employee punched in their numbers, it showed them an eye in the sky picture of my cart, circling all the bagged items from the first order. Wasn't a big deal, I quickly explained to the worker and we were good. But, was a weird moment.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
My Walmart limiting self-checkouts, but also not properly staffing regular checkouts to make the lines manageable, has pushed me into getting Walmart+. It's dumb it came to that, but it's actually been pretty nice. Scan & Go is even faster than self-checkout (though it's really lame that sometimes they close the Scan & Go checkouts). I don't like the idea of "rewarding" them for their bad practices, but it does make grocery shopping a more pleasant experience, so I can't really be too mad about it. Delivery/shipping is easily the better way to go if you need anything that's normally locked up. And it has free Paramount+, lol.

My local Home Depot has revamped self-checkout into "assisted checkout", where an employee has to scan everything and it's literally just a regular checkout.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The checkout area is such a disaster now. With the couple manned registers set in between two self-check out areas there's just globs of people everywhere and it's just like one big horde. Employees got their head on a swivel trying to keep an eye on everything. Last time I went in the middle of the day it almost gave me anxiety just in the 2 minutes to took to ring up my 2 or 3 items. Can't imagine having to be there all day. Good grief.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood the hate for these, but maybe it's just walmart's implementation of them. HEB has had them for like 20 years now and I like them there. They usually kept it under 10-15 item limit, which is perfectly reasonable.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
This must be in major cities. No places near me have removed or reduced their self-checkout. Hopefully it stays that way.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Target scaled back on actual checkers, but then didn't also put restrictions on self check out.

So you have 3. Self check out stations, with a target that also has groceries, and no max limit. And you darn well know someone is going to need to call someone because they want a gift card, or a lottery ticket, or trying to figure something out, or trying to manage their 3 kids.

You also only have one cashier on duty. What do you get? A line 40 people deep.

So what is one to do? Put down their pack of undershirts that they had to wait 15 minutes for an associate to come open the lock, for fucking underwear.

So I went into the car, ordered the same undershirt that was cheaper and delivered to my door the next morning on Amazon.

I mean fuck target.