• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

newarrior

Dec 29, 2017
I'll just mention that a component input should support composite cables, so picking up a separate box for composite to HDMI would be a waste.

Oh, and for anything like the SNES. Genesis and PSX, there are component cable options available fromhdretrovision.

Looks like they're out of stock. I was just going to use the s-video cable I have for it through the converter for that and N64.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Reading through this thread, it's seeming like an OSSC is the way to go eventually. I'll keep an eye out on that!
As long as your TV supports the modes you want (3x/4x/5x) for the consoles you want then yes.

Oh, and for anything like the SNES. Genesis and PSX, there are component cable options available fromhdretrovision.
"Available". :P
They're temporarily shutting down their store on July 1st to focus on development (Dreamcast?) while they're waiting for more stock but CastleMania Games and RetroStuff has some. People should just remember to go through the test to make sure their TV likes 240p over component.

https://castlemaniagames.com/shop?keywords=hd retrovision&olsPage=search
https://retrostuff.ca/collections/hd-retrovision-cables

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
newarrior I completely forgot about the RetroTINK-2X until RetroRGB put out a video about it today. It has Composite/S-Video/Component inputs (only connect one at a time). When people will be able to order it again in the future is a mystery just like most products in the retro community.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got my UltraHDMI in, and got it installed!

UGuGE4B.jpg

Installing it was a bit tricky, but took my time and went slow and didn't really have any issues.
Though when I first tried it, it didn't work. Scared the crap out of me. Turns out it was a dirty ram expansion slot, and the HDMI mod was fine. Man that slot can be tricky to get clean too. D:

Anyway, everything I've heard about this mod has been right. It looks fantastic. The de-blur is like magic, and the retro mode looks great too. This mod, along with parts from Steel Sticks that I got earlier this year, have really reinvigorated my enthusiasm for the N64.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I really wanted to get an ultrahdmi mod, but the cost of just shipping the console to a modder would run me $120...

Oct 27, 2017
I really wanted to get an ultrahdmi mod, but the cost of just shipping the console to a modder would run me $120...

That's why I decided to try my hand at doing the mod myself. I already had most of the tools I needed to do it, just needed to buy some new flux. However I can understand not wanting to do it yourself. It's not a beginner mod at all. I was super nervous about it.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
That's why I decided to try my hand at doing the mod myself. I already had most of the tools I needed to do it, just needed to buy some new flux. However I can understand not wanting to do it yourself. It's not a beginner mod at all. I was super nervous about it.

The only mod I did was the Snes region mod lol

That sounds like way too much. Where from and where to would you ship? You could also just send the bare motherboard to cut down on size and weight.

Kuwait to US. I don't think customs would be very happy with me sending a motherboard.

Nov 15, 2017
Kuwait to US. I don't think customs would be very happy with me sending a motherboard.

You could also look at having a modder pick up a console and kit in the US and then ship it to you. Maybe even salvage a mainboard from a cosmetically damaged console?

Of course, the value of and ideas is contingent on you actually wanting to spend the UltraHDMI kit price, modder service cost, and all of the involved shipping in the first place.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to setup all of my retro consoles soon for max quality, as such I am getting a Framemeister. For the NES, is there a consensus on whether the RBG mod over a Framemeister or the HDMI mod is better for use on an HDTV?

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am going to setup all of my retro consoles soon for max quality, as such I am getting a Framemeister. For the NES, is there a consensus on whether the RBG mod over a Framemeister or the HDMI mod is better for use on an HDTV?

They directly compare both later in the video but I don't know if there's been any updates to change things. Any reason you're going FM over OSSC? Just wanted to make sure you've researched everything.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They directly compare both later in the video but I don't know if there's been any updates to change things. Any reason you're going FM over OSSC? Just wanted to make sure you've researched everything.

From what I understand the Framemeister is easier to work with and had much broader compatibility than the OSSC.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's true that the Framemeister will work with pretty much any TV. If you can afford the Framemeister, it's great. And it's better than the OSSC at 480i.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
If you download firebrandX's profiles for the framemeister, and set up your memory card right, there's really not much you have to do to get great images out of the framemeister.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So I've been using a capture device in conjunction with old consoles (PS1, Saturn) and the framemeister for a while now, and I'd like do a little bit of a better job capturing a specific game, but the software I'm using in conjunction with it doesn't have the option to turn off deinterlacing. It only has the option to turn it to "low." I received the following post the last time I made a thread about PS1 capture.

Nice thanks for your work, i appreciate that. But i think there is something off with the "black-levels" of your captured videos, they mostly look to dark. Besides there is some bad "de-interlacing" going on in the videos. I think it is possible to make it cleaner, because when you pause the video you can see interpolated frames...

I'm wondering if it might be possible to use third party software with the device. I discovered that it's actually detectable by capture software that came with Vegas Pro 14, but attempting to use it creates a file where the video runs in slow motion and thirty seconds of capture are about 20GB. I didn't do much of a thorough search, but some cursory attempts at looking for other software left me with PC screen capture, rather than capture of an external device. Am I likely beholden to the software the device came with?

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
What is the capture device you're using, it'd be hard for some one to recommend software that can work with it, with out knowing what it is.

NEE HEE HEE

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So I heard through the Grapevine that OSSC has display compatibility issues.

Does anyone think running your TV through custom resolutions would be a good way to test resolution compatibility (using a computer I guess)?

Yesterday I ran my 4K TV through multiple odd resolutions like 1600x1200, 1920x1200, 1280x960, etc. I was able to get an image on my 4K TV after using these resolutions on my pc. Maybe I'm not sol, but I don't know if that's a definitive test or not. I'd hope it is, because I'd really love to do some Line5x gaming.

Deleted member 2102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the new-manufacture Tomee stuff and the unbranded cables have been a headache for S-Video on the classic Nintendo video consoles, because the quality is so inconsistent and there's little general differentiation visually to identify good brands from bad.

I should mention that I have one from the first seller in Canada (pretty sure it was them at least), and it seems to work really well on my CRT PVM. I imagine the same might be the case through a Framemeister. At the very least, they seem to know and describe what everyone's been griping about in their description, which is a plus over the generic descriptions other sellers and manufacturers use.
Wanted to validate that I got my cable in the other day (from the US seller - ordered the Canadian one as well, but still waiting on that) and it works great. Thank you for the suggestion - it's a huge improvement over composite.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i finally tried the OSSC on a 55 inch plasma.
my first impression, i didn't like the look of it. i was hoping it was better than a framemeister.

maybe i need to take another look with another TV before a make a definite conclusion.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
my first impression, i didn't like the look of it. i was hoping it was better than a framemeister.

maybe i need to take another look with another TV before a make a definite conclusion.
The output is extremely customizable. You should take a look at the OSSC wiki, and go through the menus on the device before writing it off.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

Does anyone think running your TV through custom resolutions would be a good way to test resolution compatibility (using a computer I guess)?

Yesterday I ran my 4K TV through multiple odd resolutions like 1600x1200, 1920x1200, 1280x960, etc. I was able to get an image on my 4K TV after using these resolutions on my pc. Maybe I'm not sol, but I don't know if that's a definitive test or not. I'd hope it is, because I'd really love to do some Line5x gaming.

It's not always just the resolution but the oddball refresh rates of some consoles and the oddball resolutions combined.

Nov 15, 2017
Wanted to validate that I got my cable in the other day (from the US seller - ordered the Canadian one as well, but still waiting on that) and it works great. Thank you for the suggestion - it's a huge improvement over composite.

Glad to hear it! I've found that N64 S-Video is pretty much "good enough", when the alternative is paying big bucks for an RGB mod or the UltraHDMI board.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The output is extremely customizable. You should take a look at the OSSC wiki, and go through the menus on the device before writing it off.
thanks! i got my friend to buy one but don't own one yet. i donated a PVM to him for free (14" ikagami) pictured
CH9nzu4m.jpg

and then he started on a retro/CRT craze which eventually led him to getting an OSSC for his VGA monitors. i went over his house and asked him to hook it up to his 55" flatscreen and maybe i didn't give it a fair chance.

tbh, i'm very close friends with the owner of retro game boards site, Peltz, (i don't post there but a few on here are regulars over there), he has a framemeister and prefers CRT's over it (his framemeister sits in a corner gathering dust). he demo'ed it for me and agreed with his opinion. he doesn't say much on the boards about the topic bc there's a lot of fans that prefer the framemeister over CRTs. We were both, however, very excited about the OSSC and really wanted to check it out.... i'm going to try it again and i'll try and post some impressions somewhere down the line when i get a chance to get my hands on one.

my setup currently:
i've been using a JVC DT-V1710CG that was damaged and discolored,
i took it apart and reseated the yoke last year (posted these here long ago) and fixed the discoloration (scary job!):
8zZuZ9zm.jpg

INTESq2m.jpg

tWa4lS2m.jpg

XOF9C3fm.jpg

VtI6tMTm.jpg

dhdPPOMm.jpg

5iuO5Mym.jpg

but i agree upscalers are the future when all CRT's die out so i need to really get something like an OSSC eventually regardless of my opinion.

NEE HEE HEE

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's not always just the resolution but the oddball refresh rates of some consoles and the oddball resolutions combined.

Right, but that's configurable through the OSSC itself right? Which means that can be mended. The way I see it is there's 2 issues: Resolution and Timing, where the latter can be fixed through tinkering with the OSSC. But for Resolution, the only fix I've read is if it's not supported it has to be fed into a VP50 or any other high quality video scalar. I was just wondering about the method I used, and whether it was good enough to determine if the TV can support those resolutions or not. It's scary to read all the TVs that are unsupported.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where exactly can I get an RBG modkit for an NES?

Also, how does the N64 look on the Framemeister with s-video?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

I tried this before I got mine and it wasn't indicative of the actual compatibility. Can't get above 2x 4:3 on my main TV.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but that's configurable through the OSSC itself right? Which means that can be mended. The way I see it is there's 2 issues: Resolution and Timing, where the latter can be fixed through tinkering with the OSSC. But for Resolution, the only fix I've read is if it's not supported it has to be fed into a VP50 or any other high quality video scalar. I was just wondering about the method I used, and whether it was good enough to determine if the TV can support those resolutions or not. It's scary to read all the TVs that are unsupported.

I don't think you can change the timing of the refresh of a system with the OSSC. My understanding is that's why people feed it into some other scalar to stabilize the refresh rate.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

What were you feeding the plasma? What resolution?

I'm assuming it was a 1080p plasma.

Most of those are going to non-integer scale OSSC output whether it is 480p or 720p or 960p or 1200p. That's a problem.

I don't think you can change the timing of the refresh of a system with the OSSC. My understanding is that's why people feed it into some other scalar to stabilize the refresh rate.

Yep, the refresh rate output by the OSSC is always the same as the input. If that's 60.09hz 240p from a NES, you'll output 60.09hz in 480p or 720p or 960p or 1200p. It is not designed to ever buffer or skip or blend frames which is what you need to do to change the refresh rate.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Have you tried AmaRecTV? That's what I use.

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried it out, but I can't seem to get it to run. It appears to freeze upon opening it. It's doing something according to Task Manager, but upon checking Bitdefender's whitelist (it initially blocked it), it says it's apparently "never been run" (paraphrasing).

iV97mnm.png

I have the codec installed. Edit: Upon attempting to test it, none of these opened or played, but I could open the files and play the videos manually ... Hmm.

Now I'm really upset because this seems like great software with a lot of options. I tried changing the CPU in the codec manager settings (I have no problem running the associated codec file), changing what graphics card the file opens with, but no luck. Running it as an Admin, or in compatibility mode doesn't seem to help either. The most frustrating thing is that there isn't even a clear problem. Augh!

Edit: If I try to open it in safe mode, the error message "GetDefaultAudioEndpoint" shows up, but not when attempting to open it normally. : /

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

Do you have an AV receiver? My TV supports everything the OSSC offers but trips up on the SNES and NES refresh rate. Switching my receiver from bypass to game mode fixes that. Having an AV receiver basically gives you an extra chance or a fallback.

NEE HEE HEE

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do you have an AV receiver? My TV supports everything the OSSC offers but trips up on the SNES and NES refresh rate. Switching my receiver from bypass to game mode fixes that. Having an AV receiver basically gives you an extra chance or a fallback.

Yeah I have the Denon S920W I primarily use for my HD gaming. But I don't know if it has a bypass game mode. If it would help though that would be great and hopefully it doesn't add too much lag.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion! I tried it out, but I can't seem to get it to run. It appears to freeze upon opening it. It's doing something according to Task Manager, but upon checking Bitdefender's whitelist (it initially blocked it), it says it's apparently "never been run" (paraphrasing).

iV97mnm.png

I have the codec installed. Edit: Upon attempting to test it, none of these opened or played, but I could open the files and play the videos manually ... Hmm.

Now I'm really upset because this seems like great software with a lot of options. I tried changing the CPU in the codec manager settings (I have no problem running the associated codec file), changing what graphics card the file opens with, but no luck. Running it as an Admin, or in compatibility mode doesn't seem to help either. The most frustrating thing is that there isn't even a clear problem. Augh!

Edit: If I try to open it in safe mode, the error message "GetDefaultAudioEndpoint" shows up, but not when attempting to open it normally. : /

That's weird. I've never run into this sort of issue before. I don't know what to suggest other than to try the previous version, 3.10. http://www.amarectv.com/download_amarectv.htm

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
That's weird. I've never run into this sort of issue before. I don't know what to suggest other than to try the previous version, 3.10. http://www.amarectv.com/download_amarectv.htm

I didn't expect this to work, but somehow it did. I mean, ... what? I guess I should have tried this earlier. It also appears to be compatible with the codec I installed.

Thanks for suggesting it! I noticed it automatically defaulted to English. I have all my regional settings set to Japanese, but Windows is in English. That ... that can't be it right?

Edit: I am getting extreme input lag, though. Like, a full second or two of it. But I'll play with it and see if I can get it to work. If I can't, I guess being forced to use unnecessary deinterlacing with software that doesn't do a terrible job of recording games isn't too bad.

Last edited:

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I posted this in the PS2 thread, but this thread might be more apt.

I'm going to buy a PS2, and I want it on my LG C7, this is a UK one, so it has no analog input options.

I don't want to pay a ton for a fancy up scaling box, I just want to get PS2s component output straight to HDMI.

What's the best option?

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the PS2 thread, but this thread might be more apt.

I'm going to buy a PS2, and I want it on my LG C7, this is a UK one, so it has no analog input options.

I don't want to pay a ton for a fancy up scaling box, I just want to get PS2s component output straight to HDMI.

What's the best option?
With PS2... you're gonna have a mess on your hands with 480i and no scaler. An AV reciever might do a decent job, but I'd expect a varible amount of lag. Other than that there's the cheap dongles... enjoy the horror of mishandled 480i there.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
With PS2... you're gonna have a mess on your hands with 480i and no scaler. An AV reciever might do a decent job, but I'd expect a varible amount of lag. Other than that there's the cheap dongles... enjoy the horror of mishandled 480i there.
The TV handles 480i over HDMI apparently, so the TV should be fine to handle scaling itself. The lag and any colour issues are the real question.

I've read mixed impressions of the little PS2 to HDMI solution box things, but I would think a simple component to HDMI converter board would be the best solution, but they all seem to be very random, like there doesn't appear to be a 'go to' version of them to buy.

Nov 15, 2017
The TV handles 480i over HDMI apparently, so the TV should be fine to handle scaling itself. The lag and any colour issues are the real question.

I can't speak for your particular display's internal scaler, but a lot of the scalers that manufacturers build into their TVs are not terribly robust.

I've read mixed impressions of the little PS2 to HDMI solution box things, but I would think a simple component to HDMI converter board would be the best solution, but they all seem to be very random, like there doesn't appear to be a 'go to' version of them to buy.

Realistically, any manufacturer making a cheap video processing device is probably just using one of a handful of cheap, pre-existing hardware designs anyway. Especialy If they're making a device that is retailing at £30 (so imagine how much less it cost the retailer to begin with, and then how much less it cost the manufacturer to make in the first place...not much room for custom engineering in those figures!)

So at this point, I would say to just buy whatever one has the function you're looking for, is in your budget zone, and has some good reviews on the UK Amazon site. Or get a hold of a CRT (with component inputs, or maybe SCART since you're UK)?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I can't speak for your particular display's internal scaler, but a lot of the scalers that manufacturers build into their TVs are not terribly robust.

Realistically, any manufacturer making a cheap video processing device is probably just using one of a handful of cheap, pre-existing hardware designs anyway. Especialy If they're making a device that is retailing at £30 (so imagine how much less it cost the retailer to begin with, and then how much less it cost the manufacturer to make in the first place...not much room for custom engineering in those figures!)

So at this point, I would say to just buy whatever one has the function you're looking for, is in your budget zone, and has some good reviews on the UK Amazon site. Or get a hold of a CRT (with component inputs, or maybe SCART since you're UK)?
I am in the UK, but I'll be going full NTSC for 60Hz, when possible, obvious still like Siren 2 I'm out of luck.

I think I'll buy one of those little dongle PS2 to HDMI things, and if that's not any good, get a separate Component to HDMI converter. The OSSC seems amazing, but the price, for the sake of just a few PS2 games is a little steep, and obviously, there's a real limit to how clean you can get a PS2 output to look. It was kind of assy at the time.

It's really the latency and any serious colour issues I want to avoid. I don't mind if it's a little noisy with some separation, I only ever played on Scart or Composite at the time anyway.

Nov 15, 2017
It's really the latency and any serious colour issues I want to avoid. I don't mind if it's a little noisy with some separation, I only ever played on Scart or Composite at the time anyway.

I can't speak for color issues, but again, your TV's internal scaler may not be fast enough to avoid latency or lag. Especially if it has to do non-integer scaling (that is, having to scale video horizontally or vertically by a decimal factor like 4.5x, instead of a nice whole number factor like 4x or 5x).

There's a reason people bring up CRT TVs, CRT PVMs/BVMs, and scalers like the Framemeister and OSSC all the time, and it's not just to flash cash or brag (OK, OK, maybe a *little* bit). It's because new TV manufacturers don't give two craps about how well old games display or play on their shiny new TV technology, haven't done so in a long time, and never will. So the aforementioned are still the only reliably playable display options, sadly.

But maybe LG is on the ball; I'm certain people will be interested in hearing your results either way. Good luck!

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I can't speak for color issues, but again, your TV's internal scaler may not be fast enough to avoid latency or lag. Especially if it has to do non-integer scaling (that is, having to scale video horizontally or vertically by a decimal factor like 4.5x, instead of a nice whole number factor like 4x or 5x).

There's a reason people bring up CRT TVs, CRT PVMs/BVMs, and scalers like the Framemeister and OSSC all the time, and it's not just to flash cash or brag (OK, OK, maybe a *little* bit). It's because new TV manufacturers don't give two craps about how well old games display or play on their shiny new TV technology, haven't done so in a long time, and never will. So the aforementioned are still the only reliably playable display options, sadly.

But maybe LG is on the ball; I'm certain people will be interested in hearing your results either way. Good luck!
I've no doubt the results of using an OSSC would be better, but it's just a question of how much better versus the cost for me.

There's plenty of video of people playing more actiony games using these cheap devices with no complaints. There's a big question of how sensitive those people are to latency, but an OLED at minimum is pixel switching a lot faster than those LCDs, and I'm for the most part looking to play much slower games.

But yeah, we shall see. And even if it's good enough for my needs, doesn't mean it'd be recommendable for people really into the retro scene or sure.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking to play slow games, BC PS3 or PS2 classics is a nice avenue if you have a PS3 around. The A01 PS3 has very good deinterlacing if you can keep one alive and all PS3s output RGB and digital HDMI natively. No lossy conversions necessary.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking to play slow games, BC PS3 or PS2 classics is a nice avenue if you have a PS3 around. The A01 PS3 has very good deinterlacing if you can keep one alive and all PS3s output RGB and digital HDMI natively. No lossy conversions necessary.
i wish it could do 240p, then i could get rid of my pspgo dock

NEE HEE HEE

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is there any benefit to routing audio (or using audio) inside the ossc? Doesn't seem like a very good setup. In my head I am thinking of just routing the audio from my bandridge box to my receiver. All I can think of is the use of audio via HDMI, but that's it right? Or are there audio enhancement tools within the ossc?