shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
My 4K should be on its way as well, very excited to get my hands on it, especially as I have a few retro games I wanna play through very soon!

Speaking of, I did replay the original Half Life, which is older than I realised today. Its basically 75% great, 25% Xen. Oh how I wish the game ended before Xen...

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Huh they're shipping those fast. I didn't get in toward the end though so I don't expect it soon.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm having way too much fun with my Gamecube through the RT4K

56wBhoD.png

ZqEv9om.jpg

c9tJUyf.jpg

Kimjq4g.jpg

When you really zoom in and compare these to native 480p it is kind of wild.
vEwN1yk.png

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
So I don't around to installing sharp scale on my PS TV. PS1 games now look great. For some reason Sony decided to implement a blur filter on them without the ability to disable it. I wonder if this would work well with the tink4k

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
after the first one i think i'm gonna hold off, iirc i have the first version and then they released the 2nd version literally 3 weeks after i bought mine

Hmm, do you remember what was different? The only 2 releases I remember were one for PS1 and one for GC.

Interested to know if it's worth getting one if I already have an original MemCard Pro.

The big thing is PS2 support, but it also rolls in PS1 support as well.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, do you remember what was different? The only 2 releases I remember were one for PS1 and one for GC.

The big thing is PS2 support, but it also rolls in PS1 support as well.
one revision i can remember is it's something to do with the contacts of a memory card, with 3rd party ones they required extra voltage which the PS2 slim didn't give so some memory cards don't work in them and it's a case of soldering a wire in the console to fix the problem

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect I'm not getting the RT4K until mid-January. I completed my order right before they went out of stock. Really looking forward to using it though!

In related news, I sold my Gamecube forever ago. Think it's worth picking up another for the RT4K? Or is a Wii with component cables a good substitute?

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect I'm not getting the RT4K until mid-January. I completed my order right before they went out of stock. Really looking forward to using it though!

In related news, I sold my Gamecube forever ago. Think it's worth picking up another for the RT4K? Or is a Wii with component cables a good substitute?
Unless you are going for a physical mod with digital output straight off the GC or need GBA player support I don't think the visual difference for component cables between GC and Wii is worth the hassle and price difference it takes to go the GC route. I say this, but I personally use a GC because I have a strong nostalgia for the console itself. Anyways I feel like you'd see a bit more of a difference with digital HDMI mods through the retrotink4k but that's just based on assumptions off examples I've seen(Johns PS2 Gem footage) and other people's experiences.
I personally don't have any hdmi mods and use component mainly for my retro consoles. I feel like if you also plan on using the CRT filters it becomes even more negligible. If money isn't an issue just do what you love

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
When you really zoom in and compare these to native 480p it is kind of wild.
vEwN1yk.png

I'm torn on this. Close up, I don't like the blur. But close up, I also don't like the terrible jagged edges even though the pixels are sharp. It's just inherent in the way the games were developed, accounting for CRT Scanlines. I wonder if scanlines would help. Are there smoothing options?

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn on this. Close up, I don't like the blur. But close up, I also don't like the terrible jagged edges even though the pixels are sharp. It's just inherent in the way the games were developed, accounting for CRT Scanlines. I wonder if scanlines would help. Are there smoothing options?
I feel like when you take into account using a CRT filter on top of this crazy sharp output that the benefits really show. You get an extremely clean and sharp image with the benefits CRT masks have on the image of these older games. It's like taking a really good base as a starting point and then adding it to clear up dithering and the big jumps between colors of pixels.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like when you take into account using a CRT filter on top of this crazy sharp output that the benefits really show. You get an extremely clean and sharp image with the benefits CRT masks have on the image of these older games. It's like taking a really good base as a starting point and then adding it to clear up dithering and the big jumps between colors of pixels.

exactly. Is there black frame insertion on the 4K? I can't remember. If so, I assume there is a brightness compensation.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
As Barrel Cannon already said, there are filters, scanlines and black frame insertion options on the RT4K.

I'm personally a fan of the sharp pixels and jaggies on games of this era, but I totally get everyone having different tastes.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you are going for a physical mod with digital output straight off the GC or need GBA player support I don't think the visual difference for component cables between GC and Wii is worth the hassle and price difference it takes to go the GC route. I say this, but I personally use a GC because I have a strong nostalgia for the console itself. Anyways I feel like you'd see a bit more of a difference with digital HDMI mods through the retrotink4k but that's just based on assumptions off examples I've seen(Johns PS2 Gem footage) and other people's experiences.
I personally don't have any hdmi mods and use component mainly for my retro consoles. I feel like if you also plan on using the CRT filters it becomes even more negligible. If money isn't an issue just do what you love
Thanks so much. I have a MiSTer FPGA so I don't have any need for a GBA player. I'd love to have legit digital output for GameCube games but I don't think I care enough to get involved in physical mods. Those days are behind me :)

And yeah, I plan to use CRT filters for GameCube stuff so I'll probably be fine with component.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
only 50% related to this thread because it's a remake of an old trilogy but i've made a discovery with the EU version of the Spyro trilogy on PS4 it's possible to get a copy with the patch on disc, it does copy the American way of detecting it if 2019 is on the disc but with a sealed copy it'll have a 2022 date on the back too which i don't think the US version had that way of detection without opening it

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, got my Retrotink 4K today! Time for a Xmas period of retro gaming on my big TV! Im looking forward to testing it against some PS3 and 360 games, but older wise, Im definitely doing a run on Actraiser (SNES) to see how well its other features work... well that and I want to wash the taste of that awful remake out of my mouth.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Anybody else use the Collectorz/CLZ apps for keeping track of their game collection on iOS or Mac? I bought this program several years ago. In fact, I bought the entire suite that allows you to track physical movies, books, comics, etc. When I bought it, the apps were a one-time purchase, but like many apps since then they've transitioned into a subscription model. Luckily, I'm grandfathered in and don't have to pay the yearly fee. This week, they've sent me some emails essentially begging me to subscribe anyway, stating that they can only offer the backend services if all users pay for the subscription. I'm guessing they have a lot of users in the same boat I'm in. Obviously, I'm not paying for a subscription for this, and I'd never have given the product a second glance at the time if it had been sub-based then. But it feels like it's only a matter of time before they force the issue. Luckily I also use GameEye to track my collection, so if that happens, I'll just transition to using that exclusively.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Someone here recommended CLZ, however seeing it require a subscription was a complete turn off so I never followed through with using it. The idea of paying a subscription to track your video game collection is incredibly off putting.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
Thanks so much. I have a MiSTer FPGA so I don't have any need for a GBA player. I'd love to have legit digital output for GameCube games but I don't think I care enough to get involved in physical mods. Those days are behind me :)

And yeah, I plan to use CRT filters for GameCube stuff so I'll probably be fine with component.
Going to second the post you responded to, in that if you're going analog, a Wii component output is only a very slight downgrade from a GameCube component output and even that's mitigated if using filters.

Wanted to add though that GameCubes are capable of native digital output without any physical mods at all. Just requires purchasing an HDMI adapter that plugs into the digital port on the back of a DOL-001 model console. Still may not be worth the price to you, but no analog conversion or artifacts should provide a pretty significant boost to IQ on a 4k display.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going to second the post you responded to, in that if you're going analog, a Wii component output is only a very slight downgrade from a GameCube component output and even that's mitigated if using filters.

Wanted to add though that GameCubes are capable of native digital output without any physical mods at all. Just requires purchasing an HDMI adapter that plugs into the digital port on the back of a DOL-001 model console. Still may not be worth the price to you, but no analog conversion or artifacts should provide a pretty significant boost to IQ on a 4k display.
Is there a specific adapter you'd recommend for use with a RetroTink 4K?

I'm also interested in the best way to play 480i games so I guess I'd have to get involved with that Swiss mod to convert 480i games to 480p. I just don't want to do any hardware modding to get there. Once I get Swiss sorted out, I assume I'd get the best results with one of those HDMI adapters.

This is all a bit complicated.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
Is there a specific adapter you'd recommend for use with a RetroTink 4K?

I'm also interested in the best way to play 480i games so I guess I'd have to get involved with that Swiss mod to convert 480i games to 480p. I just don't want to do any hardware modding to get there. Once I get Swiss sorted out, I assume I'd get the best results with one of those HDMI adapters.

This is all a bit complicated.
The Carby and RetroBit Prism seem to be the best value adapters out there. Looks like they both run for ~$80. You can pay twice that for the EON adapter and get some extra functionality, but if the digital output is your only concern, then they'll all output the same quality.

All three adapters can deinterlace 480i to 480p by default iirc. It's not the same quality as native 480p, but you'll get better compatibility compared to forcing through Swiss. I'd personally argue that the best way to play 480i GameCube games on a 4k monitor is via deinterlacing, but that's pretty subjective.

Swiss is a great tool though and if you want to have the option, modding a memory card isn't too complicated if you have the right equipment (a copy of Wind Waker and a soft-modded Wii if memory serves). You can also buy an SD card reader that you can plug into either a memory card slot or one of the ports on the bottom of the console for around $10.

For video options and (affiliate) links to HDMI adapters here's a link to the RetroRGB page on GC.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd personally argue that the best way to play 480i GameCube games is via deinterlacing, but that's pretty subjective.
So you'd be talking about component cables then? I'm so annoyed that I tossed my official GameCube component cables. I suppose the HDMI adapaters can also deinterlace.. I don't know what the best option is though.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
So you'd be talking about component cables then? I'm so annoyed that I tossed my official GameCube component cables. I suppose the HDMI adapaters can also deinterlace.. I don't know what the best option is though.
Component cables wouldn't deinterlace anything on their own, though I imagine the RetroTink 4k can.

On a 4k monitor, the official component cables wouldn't be the best option. They actually convert the native digital signal to analog. Really interesting tech for the time, and if you're playing on a CRT, they are still a great option. But the component cables to a RetroTink would basically go digital -> analog -> digital. That means analog conversion artifacts would affect the image quality.

The best option IMO is one of those three adapters. You plug-and-play and through the RetroTink 4k with a pure digital signal. Super clean and easy. But it'll come down to value. Is it worth buying a GC and an adapter for an improvement that most people probably wouldn't notice? It was for me, but the GameCube is my favorite console of all time.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The best option IMO is one of those three adapters. You plug-and-play and through the RetroTink 4k with a pure digital signal. Super clean and easy. But it'll come down to value. Is it worth buying a GC and an adapter for a better image that most people probably wouldn't notice? It was for me, but the GameCube is my favorite console of all time.
I really like the GC too! I got rid of mine when I finally scrapped my last CRT, well before these nice solutions for modern displays popped up.

I've been emulating since then and it's fine but I'm tired of little emulation issues with the more modern consoles. The RT4K with its CRT emulation is exactly what I wanted.

And hey, there's apparently a wiki page for the RT4K which includes recommendations for video output: https://consolemods.org/wiki/AV:RetroTINK-4K/System_Specific_Settings#Nintendo_GameCube

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the GC too! I got rid of mine when I finally scrapped my last CRT, well before these nice solutions for modern displays popped up.

I've been emulating since then and it's fine but I'm tired of little emulation issues with the more modern consoles. The RT4K with its CRT emulation is exactly what I wanted.

And hey, there's apparently a wiki page for the RT4K which includes recommendations for video output: https://consolemods.org/wiki/AV:RetroTINK-4K/System_Specific_Settings#Nintendo_GameCube

Yeah, that's where the RT5X wiki has always been too on consolemods, looks like it's already a very robust guide for the 4K which is great!

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Question for those with Retrotink 4Ks - everything is working fine bar PS3 which is flagging HDCP as "active". Quick investigation suggestions this is something that needs disabling before the picture will be viewable. HDMI splitters seem the best way to handle this, anyone have any more information or the best way to sort this?

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Question for those with Retrotink 4Ks - everything is working fine bar PS3 which is flagging HDCP as "active". Quick investigation suggestions this is something that needs disabling before the picture will be viewable. HDMI splitters seem the best way to handle this, anyone have any more information or the best way to sort this?
Yea splitters are the way. That's how I have my ps3 routed so I could capture footage. I wonder if it was something that might have drawn legal trouble if he(Mike) added it in

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yea splitters are the way. That's how I have my ps3 routed so I could capture footage. I wonder if it was something that might have drawn legal trouble if he(Mike) added it in
Reading more about the issue - yeah. Its basically illegal by the sounds of it to bypass it. So Im hoping I can get a splitter to do the job for me. Fingers crossed!

Meanwhile, while I wait, I did use the new Tink to play the original Actraiser via my SNES. And... its just so superior to the remake in every way, I had such a great time playing it.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on the beta test team for this and its been fantastic.

Still haven't gotten my MCP2 yet but curious about what the FMCB setup is like? I saw in the discord that you can't make a copy of FMCB from an existing memory card. So how would you even get started? And do you have to do anything special to get FMCB to be the default profile on boot & reboot before swapping to a game VMC?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Reading more about the issue - yeah. Its basically illegal by the sounds of it to bypass it. So Im hoping I can get a splitter to do the job for me. Fingers crossed!

Meanwhile, while I wait, I did use the new Tink to play the original Actraiser via my SNES. And... its just so superior to the remake in every way, I had such a great time playing it.

If you havent bought one, I use this HDMI splitter and it works with PS3/PSTV

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If you havent bought one, I use this HDMI splitter and it works with PS3/PSTV

Dont have one yet no, but I have ordered that particular one, just waiting on it to arrive!

While I wait, I did get some Neo Geo gaming on my 4K done, and its the one device Ive used that works with my TV + Neo Geo right out of the box. Even the 5X required me to tweak the settings loads in order to get the picture to behave, so this is a nice step up!
Also tried the 4K with the 360, and... gee Outrun 2 looks gorgeous!

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Someone here recommended CLZ, however seeing it require a subscription was a complete turn off so I never followed through with using it. The idea of paying a subscription to track your video game collection is incredibly off putting.

If you don't wanna pay you can use Game EYE but.... I think CLZ is worth the money since you get free cloud backups and I think the interface is just a lot better than any of the free options. And biggest of all the database is just larger. With some of the other free options. I found it hard especially with Japanese games to find correct entries and pricing for them. Where as CLZ just scrapes data from Pricecharting so it's constantly updated.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't gotten my MCP2 yet but curious about what the FMCB setup is like? I saw in the discord that you can't make a copy of FMCB from an existing memory card. So how would you even get started? And do you have to do anything special to get FMCB to be the default profile on boot & reboot before swapping to a game VMC?

It was pretty easy. I put the most recent fmcb installer on a USB stick, booted up my existing FMCB card, launched uLaunch and then put the new MemCardPro 2 into the memory card slot and ran the installer. Once it's done you can use the WebUI to rename that memory card to FMCB and tell it to always boot to that card. Then when it gets a gameid from OPL it'll either create a new card or load the one that goes with it. The other way is some one can give you their FMCB MemCardPro2 vmc and you can copy that to your PS2 folder on the MemcardPro 2 SD card. They just will need to have made it a Universal FMCB card. What's your name on the discord?

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty easy. I put the most recent fmcb installer on a USB stick, booted up my existing FMCB card, launched uLaunch and then put the new MemCardPro 2 into the memory card slot and ran the installer. Once it's done you can use the WebUI to rename that memory card to FMCB and tell it to always boot to that card. Then when it gets a gameid from OPL it'll either create a new card or load the one that goes with it. The other way is some one can give you their FMCB MemCardPro2 vmc and you can copy that to your PS2 folder on the MemcardPro 2 SD card. They just will need to have made it a Universal FMCB card. What's your name on the discord?

Oh that doesn't sound too bad, it's same name as here, ploonkey. Thanks for the info!

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I got a used RT2X Pro on eBay recently and I'm playing vintage consoles on LGC1 for the first time. Great results for the price/easy setup so far.

But I moved my SNES across the living room floor so my controller cords would reach and just the minor bumping erased a game save on Actraiser. Sheesh. Really makes me want to sell many of my cartridges and get an SD2SNES or something.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I know Polymega has a bit of a tarnished rep but I'm just wondering if anyone's had a chance to try out the new Ultra modules (For the Nintendo 64) yet?

I'm tempted to pick one up as the N64 is one console I'd like to start looking into collecting for my next trip to Japan. The Analogue 64 is also tempting especially as it's FPGA but I was hoping my next HW purchase would be moreso openFPGA instead - and unfortunately it looks like there's no projects cramming openFPGA into console shells.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Putting some feelers out there as I now have my Retrotink 4K working perfectly for my needs, I dont need my Retrotink 5X anymore (probably my OSSC as well, just need to testing a few remaining consoles). If anyone in the UK is looking for a 5X, let me know and we can work out a deal, as Id rather deal with someone here than go the eBay route.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had any luck with GDEMU clones? I know the 5.20 are the first of which that are FW updatable. Seeing 5.20.5 clones as well, too. BitFunx the way to go?