• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Grabbed Trauma Center 1 & 2 for Wii. After giving the recommendations a cursory glance, those were the two big games that I wanted that also weren't expensive. Will have to dig a bit more for some stuff that's likely available.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
One I recommend - Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. Legit amazing Vs fighter that gets nowhere near enough attention. It looks and plays fantastically, but you'd be forgiven about forgetting it existed, especially next to something like MvC3 which gets all the attention (then again I love MvC as well...)

Other stuff I like:
Disaster Day of Crisis is a weird disaster game crossed with Time Crisis. On the one hand you have these natural disasters occurring in the city you need to survive, then you get a plot straight outta 24. Its absolute insanity and I love it.

Mad World is amazing and super stylised. Its a bit shallow but I definitely recommend it if you want a violent brawler.

Muramasa is an amazing action platformer with a great plot, gorgeous visuals and great combat. Its better on the Vita, but still worth it on the Wii.

Ghost Squad is a terrific Sega lightgun port with tons of content.

And heck... I actually like the Wii Remote Sonic games (Black Knight and Secret Rings)
Damn, yes!! Everyone needs to play DISUSTAH Day of Crisis. Does anyone remember the JPN TV ad/trailer? If so please post it. The one with the 'DISUSTAH' in the voiceover.

Also I really need to get Ghost Squad.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed Trauma Center 1 & 2 for Wii. After giving the recommendations a cursory glance, those were the two big games that I wanted that also weren't expensive. Will have to dig a bit more for some stuff that's likely available.

There are 3 Trauma games on Wii just to be clear

Second Opinion (remake of first DS game)
New Blood (takes place after Second Opinion, not a remake afaik)
Trauma Team (not related to the other two games)

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
There are 3 Trauma games on Wii just to be clear

Second Opinion (remake of first DS game)
New Blood (takes place after Second Opinion, not a remake afaik)
Trauma Team (not related to the other two games)

Just saw that after seeing your notification. Looks like Trauma Team is the "rarer" one out of the lot. Though the prices thankfully don't seem TOO bad.'

EDIT: Said fuck it and bought it as well (Didn't really see anything on the Wii MetaCritic list that I REALLY wanted besides that). Someone was selling a Bran New copy for $55 which seems pretty good going off price charting. CIB itself seem to go for 40-50 already based on quality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I still need to import a PAL copy of Disaster. Been putting that shit off for 16 years.

Same lol. I know it would be up my alley too.
Nintendo of America fucking sucked during that gen for giving us content. They really backed up the whole "baby image" of the Wii with all the releases that skipped NA but still came to Europe.

Unsure why they were penny pinching so bad that gen.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Since we're talking Wii, some lesser known titles that aren't that expensive yet (my threshold for which is under $40 USD):
  • Little King's Story (underrated as hell, fantastic game)
  • Zack and Wiki Quest for Barbaros Treasure
  • All three Trauma Center games as noted above, first two are very cheap and Trauma Team is about $40 USD
  • The House of the Dead Overkill (Hilarious writing in this game)
  • Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (Maybe my favorite game on the system?)
  • Dead Space Extraction (fantastic rail shooter)
  • Mad World
  • Punch-Out (Not lesser known, but awesome game and has been going up...right against that $40 line now)
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade (pretty well known tbh, but going up and right against that $40 line now too)
  • Excite Truck and Excite Bots (Great racers, dirty cheap)
  • Metal Slug Anthology (Good if you want MS 1-6 physically, the big negative is no classic controller support. There IS Gamecube controller support but of course the GCN d-pad sucks. Aside from controls, the Wii version is better than the PSP/PS2 versions)

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Checked off a big title off my grails list. Someone offered me Elemental Gimmick Gear well below price charting and I had to take them up on it.

jvm

Oct 27, 2017
Love the packaging. They look like books!

Always love your posts with this kind of stuff, so please post more if you get more :) Its always cool to see this sort of stuff as its not really highlighted in collections (if your on Reddit, its basically just "here's my Pokemon collection" hundreds of times over! So this is such a breath of fresh air!)
Thanks, y'all. I know my tastes are not mainstream, so I appreciate the validation.

I have made some progress on my Accolade/Avantage and Epyx collections, but not as much as I wanted. Both were publishers with very specific senses of style back in the 1980s, at least on packaging.

I also have everything from the SSI AD&D games now except the AOL Gold Box Neverwinter Nights. It's really strange ... there were 3-4 of those over the course of a couple of years on eBay, but nothing now for a looooong time. I'm not really interested in dropping $1K+ just to finish a collection, but that option doesn't even exist right now.
Edit: Spoke too soon. I guess I missed this one coming up...

yeubovL.png

Edit 2: Just to be clear, I don't think this is even playable because it was online. So... yeah.

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
very cool. I got the Retro Fighters wireless controller already or I'd consider this. I have a VM2 coming later this year, but that USB drive VMU emulation is cool

I'm waiting on the VMU Pro from 8BitMods, the MemCard Pro 1, 2, and GC have been amazing.

What are you expecting it to do that the VM2 can't already do?

Probably will be cheaper - but there's a lot more that goes into VMUs than a memory card, so who knows.

Probably will connect to wifi - which isn't as big of deal when the VMU is right in your hands anyways.

Sounds like it might have have auto game switching on MODE…but most people probably use clone GDEMUs anyway and VM2 just updated to work with GDEMU auto game switching.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
What are you expecting it to do that the VM2 can't already do?

Probably will be cheaper - but there's a lot more that goes into VMUs than a memory card, so who knows.

Probably will connect to wifi - which isn't as big of deal when the VMU is right in your hands anyways.

Sounds like it might have have auto game switching on MODE…but most people probably use clone GDEMUs anyway and VM2 just updated to work with GDEMU auto game switching.

The 8Bitmod guys have a history of doing great stuff with their products, and adding features no one expected. Hell they just added google drive autoback up to the MCP2. With them working on support for other cloud services as well. Everyone I know who has gotten a VM2 has had some kind of issue with it, specially with regards to build quality. 8BitMods is a known quantity, and I have trust in the products that they make.

The 8Bitmod guys have a history of doing great stuff with their products, and adding features no one expected. Hell they just added google drive autoback up to the MCP2. With them working on support for other cloud services as well. Everyone I know who has gotten a VM2 has had some kind of issue with it, specially with regards to build quality. 8BitMods is a known quantity, and I have trust in the products that they make.

Yeah, I would say build quality is the #1 issue with them at this moment.
Could've been a bit better - but it's not like it's about to fall apart or anything.
It definitely could use some improvement with the top controls. Other than that? Totally fine and a powerful option.

The primary selling point of the 8bitmod is - well, apart from the fact they're basically the only ones out there - the autodetect feature and, presumably, the internet connectivity.

Honestly, I've had an absolutely dreadful experience with the 8bitmod cards - it does almost nothing I need it to do well and it's caused me a fair amount of headaches - it's really not very good to use (for my use cases, at least) in practice. In fact, it's generally pretty awful for my use cases...which amounts to using it strictly as a normal memory card without auto switching.

So, it concerns me to see many people across the internet immediately writing off the VM2 based on some future card based on what I perceive to be brand loyalty. Not to say there aren't other valid reasons - even I might buy an 8bitmod VMU if they can fix the memory card selection well enough.

Either way, it would be great to have other options/groups making these types of cards in the future.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
This goes beyond retro games - sorry if it's too off-topic. I find sets of things with a consistent, recognizable style to be interesting.

Anyway, I've been trying to get a set of the GEOS software published for the Commodore 64 (and Commodore 128). Here's what I have right now:
mkrWRSb.jpg

There are still a few more I'm hoping to get, including: Desk Pack Plus, Font Pack Plus, GeoProgrammer, GeoPublish, GeoSpell, GeoWrite Workshop (I think an updated version of the one shown here), and an International Font Pack.

I also picked up a GeoBasic manual. From what I can tell, it was a version of BASIC you could work on from within GEOS, developed by Berkeley Softworks, but it was buggy and licensed to be released by one of the Commodore-centric magazines called Run.
This photo just activated memories from over 30 years ago. I used GEOS back in days of my high school computer lab class and haven't thought about it in ages!

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would say build quality is the #1 issue with them at this moment.
Could've been a bit better - but it's not like it's about to fall apart or anything.
It definitely could use some improvement with the top controls. Other than that? Totally fine and a powerful option.

The primary selling point of the 8bitmod is - well, apart from the fact they're basically the only ones out there - the autodetect feature and, presumably, the internet connectivity.

Honestly, I've had an absolutely dreadful experience with the 8bitmod cards - it does almost nothing I need it to do well and it's caused me a fair amount of headaches - it's really not very good to use (for my use cases, at least) in practice. In fact, it's generally pretty awful for my use cases...which amounts to using it strictly as a normal memory card without auto switching.

So, it concerns me to see many people across the internet immediately writing off the VM2 based on some future card based on what I perceive to be brand loyalty. Not to say there aren't other valid reasons - even I might buy an 8bitmod VMU if they can fix the memory card selection well enough.

Either way, it would be great to have other options/groups making these types of cards in the future.

Everyone I know who has a VM2 has had nothing but problems with it. Including units that are essentially falling apart inside due to terrible solder work.

What exactly doesn't it do well for you? I've used the MCP1 as a regular memory card since I got it. It does exactly what it says it does, and using the webui, or even the buttons on the memory card it is super simple and easy to change cards. You don't have to physically switch memory cards, you can name them, its ridiculously easy to change what vmc you are on.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Since we're talking Wii, some lesser known titles that aren't that expensive yet (my threshold for which is under $40 USD):
  • The House of the Dead Overkill (Hilarious writing in this game)
  • Dead Space Extraction (fantastic rail shooter)

The Wii is a fantastic arcade light gun game machine.
My biggest recommendation, especially if playing with casuals / non-gamers, or wanting to enjoy a beverage while blasting, is to pick up a couple Nyko Perfect Shot Wii controllers.

perfect1.jpg

It's perfect for games like House of the Dead, Gunblade NY / LA Machineguns, etc

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Where are folks going to still scoop up 360 games?

eBay is pretty chalked unless you get lucky, you could check stores before they get hip (pricecharting is pretty delayed, so you might still have time), there was someone in this thread earlier who said they asked GameStop employees if they had any 360 games, that's worth a hail mary attempt. Crawl through any local marketplaces, there are usually 360 bundles out there because people have no idea -- especially with 360 games people assume these are still very cheap

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
eBay is pretty chalked unless you get lucky, you could check stores before they get hip (pricecharting is pretty delayed, so you might still have time), there was someone in this thread earlier who said they asked GameStop employees if they had any 360 games, that's worth a hail mary attempt. Crawl through any local marketplaces, there are usually 360 bundles out there because people have no idea -- especially with 360 games people assume these are still very cheap
Yeah, I hit up my local GameStop and all they had was disc-only copies of old Assassins Creed and Call of Duty.

I might have to start going into those Pawn shops in a hail mary attempt. I should have gotten these when they were pennies on the dollar.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I hit up my local GameStop and all they had was disc-only copies of old Assassins Creed and Call of Duty.

I might have to start going into those Pawn shops in a hail mary attempt. I should have gotten these when they were pennies on the dollar.

I should say eBay isnt 100% chalked. If you are going for single games, probably. But if you looked into game lots/bundles... you might find some surprise standouts and may be worth buying.

Mar 5, 2019
When it comes to organizing/alphabetizing games I think I've come to terms of just doing what I'm comfortable with.

Having said that, do you think R.B.I and R.C should go before Rad Racer or after Rygar? I never know what to do with acronyms.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to organizing/alphabetizing games I think I've come to terms of just doing what I'm comfortable with.

Having said that, do you think R.B.I and R.C should go before Rad Racer or after Rygar? I never know what to do with acronyms.

Hi you should put Rad Racer after Xexyz, RBI after Amagon, and RC after Bubble Bobble.

Then - here's the fun part - post this picture online and watch as people lose their collective minds over something as simple as videogames on a shelf!!!!!!!!!!!!

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone I know who has a VM2 has had nothing but problems with it. Including units that are essentially falling apart inside due to terrible solder work.

What exactly doesn't it do well for you? I've used the MCP1 as a regular memory card since I got it. It does exactly what it says it does, and using the webui, or even the buttons on the memory card it is super simple and easy to change cards. You don't have to physically switch memory cards, you can name them, its ridiculously easy to change what vmc you are on.

The soldering is bad? That's definitely not great to hear. Now I'll have to check mine. I haven't seen or heard of the soldering issues - is there a good place to read up on that?

So far, mine has been absolutely solid, but haven't put wear and tear on it.

Primary problem is that the MemCard Pros are completely dependent on being connected to the internet. Other problem for me is that the IP address randomly changes to a different IP address. So every time I want to mount a card, I have to grab some sort of Internet device, try and catch the IP address, log on, then force mount. Another problem is that I have not had consistent success with force mount - it just doesn't work once in a while. It's not easier at all then just putting in a labeled original memory card.

Third problem is that you have no way of knowing what is on your card from the UI - are they not able to access an SD card browser to view the saves? Fourth problem is that they added channels in there for some unknown reason, then decided to give to very little customization of the channels so you have no idea which channel has something on it. What are channels even for? Why did they put them there? Trying to figure out what is on any channel is a fools errand. You can't name them or anything.

Fifth problem is GameID can't be turned off for disc games on PS2. So, now I can't use GameID at all on PS2, unless I want to constantly toggle GameID on and off. I don't really want to separate out the individual files into individual VMCs with a separate program - it would be arduous if you have numerous game files.

You would think it'd be dead simple to navigate VMCs using the onboard buttons and the built-in screen…but it's not at all. The button doesn't even change the VMC, it changes the channel, aka the seemingly most useless part of the cards. I never remember which button does which anyways, since it's not labeled.

Hey at least it's easy to browse the files on your PC…except it's not. The browser doesn't keep any of your naming conventions - I'm assuming there's a separate program you can use to browse individual saves? At least VM2 gives you one to use individual saves from.

And sometimes, the WebUI just doesn't work well - it can lag or the functions don't work quite as they should.

If you don't use GameID and don't have a device you can access the internet from on your person at all times (which I don't), these cards are kinda worthless - or, if you use channels only, a pain to use.

I'm sitting over here bewildered that I'm apparently the only person with these issues - and that not a single online reviewer has said a negative thing about these cards or noticed these issues.

I just assume literally everyone uses GameID on everything, uses new saves, and just gets on with their life.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Hi you should put Rad Racer after Xexyz, RBI after Amagon, and RC after Bubble Bobble.

Then - here's the fun part - post this picture online and watch as people lose their collective minds over something as simple as videogames on a shelf!!!!!!!!!!!!

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF they are in box, you can sort them on the shelf by color! That would be fantastic, I see all the Booktok/Bookinsta readers doing this with their shelf.

Real Answer for me is that Letters without a Period go before (Lettter)A and Letters with a "." (period) go After so (Letter)z.

and do you sort all of the "The" titles together or sorted by the second word... THAT's one I am seriously torn about.

Of course my shelves are completely bare of video games. Maybe eventually I will put my CIB on shelf.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
anyone have a favorite SNES/NES game holder? I'm looking for something vertical I can put on a shelf or maybe even mount to a wall, that's not like $60

only talking like 10-15 carts of each.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
IF they are in box, you can sort them on the shelf by color! That would be fantastic, I see all the Booktok/Bookinsta readers doing this with their shelf.

Real Answer for me is that Letters without a Period go before (Lettter)A and Letters with a "." (period) go After so (Letter)z.

and do you sort all of the "The" titles together or sorted by the second word... THAT's one I am seriously torn about.

Of course my shelves are completely bare of video games. Maybe eventually I will put my CIB on shelf.

On a scale of 1 - 10 how badly do you want to reorganize this

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
On a scale of 1 - 10 how badly do you want to reorganize this

I especially like the one random steelbook, the game stacked on top of bottom left and the only three games that are in any sort of order (.hack//G.U.).

Looks like a shelf I would have been jealous of back in the day (and honestly a few of those titles I am jealous of now...)

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this picture floating around on twitter. It's insane how many quality games Capcom and Konami produced for the NES.

GL3n6LQXwAEtRcy

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this picture floating around on twitter. It's insane how many quality games Capcom and Konami produced for the NES.

GL3n6LQXwAEtRcy
Too true, and its still missing a number of games (at least on the Capcom side) that were released on the NES/Famicom. They really knocked it out of the park for the Famicom after a bit of a rough start with Son Son, GnG and 1942. For me, my Famicom collection is mainly a Capcom/Nintendo/Konami collection with a few extras here and there, just so much quality from everyone.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
The soldering is bad? That's definitely not great to hear. Now I'll have to check mine. I haven't seen or heard of the soldering issues - is there a good place to read up on that?

So far, mine has been absolutely solid, but haven't put wear and tear on it.

No these have been discussions on various discords with friends. One's was dead on arrival and it was from cold solder joints that had to be fixed.

Primary problem is that the MemCard Pros are completely dependent on being connected to the internet. Other problem for me is that the IP address randomly changes to a different IP address. So every time I want to mount a card, I have to grab some sort of Internet device, try and catch the IP address, log on, then force mount. Another problem is that I have not had consistent success with force mount - it just doesn't work once in a while. It's not easier at all then just putting in a labeled original memory card.

They aren't dependent on an internet connection. You can do everything with the buttons on the memcardpros, short pressing the right button will change channels and long pressing it will change memory cards.

The ip address changing is based on your router, and nothing they can really control on their end with the device. You hold down the left button and it will display the current IP address while it's being held down. My router leaves their IPs as they are, I've had the same IP on mine since the day I got them.

Third problem is that you have no way of knowing what is on your card from the UI - are they not able to access an SD card browser to view the saves? Fourth problem is that they added channels in there for some unknown reason, then decided to give to very little customization of the channels so you have no idea which channel has something on it. What are channels even for? Why did they put them there? Trying to figure out what is on any channel is a fools errand. You can't name them or anything.

There's also no way of knowing what is on a 1st party memory card with out tracking it some way or writing it down somewhere. This isn't a unique thing to the memcard pro. They do have it on their list of things to add being able to see the individual saves on a card but it has not happened yet. Though another solution for this should hopefully be released soon, I'll touch on that later. Some games use up a lot of memory space and having channels allows some one to keep all that in one folder. Sports games for instance can eat up entire memory cards. Managing VMCs and channels really isn't that much different than managing actual memory cards.

Fifth problem is GameID can't be turned off for disc games on PS2. So, now I can't use GameID at all on PS2, unless I want to constantly toggle GameID on and off. I don't really want to separate out the individual files into individual VMCs with a separate program - it would be arduous if you have numerous game files.

It's not really that hard. I did it with my GC, PS2 saves. It takes some effort up front and then you don't even have to think about anything after that. I have 81 gamecube games, and 117 PS2 ones. On PS2 there is a script even to do it for you. You use uLaunchelf or similar to copy your original memory cards to a USB stick and then run the script and it will spit out individual folders properly named for all your PS2 games. Then you can just load games how ever you like and gameid just works.

You would think it'd be dead simple to navigate VMCs using the onboard buttons and the built-in screen…but it's not at all. The button doesn't even change the VMC, it changes the channel, aka the seemingly most useless part of the cards. I never remember which button does which anyways, since it's not labeled.

As I said above, short pressing on the right button changes channel and long pressing changes vmc. I mean there's only 2 buttons on the thing.

Hey at least it's easy to browse the files on your PC…except it's not. The browser doesn't keep any of your naming conventions - I'm assuming there's a separate program you can use to browse individual saves? At least VM2 gives you one to use individual saves from.

Do tell how easy it is to load up raw memory card dumps from an OG memory card and browse the files on it.......... Out side of Memcard Rex for PS1, and VMU Explorer its not really super easy. Those programs exist outside of the MemCardPro, or VM2, or other solutions for getting original memory cards onto the PC.

And sometimes, the WebUI just doesn't work well - it can lag or the functions don't work quite as they should.

Outside of beta periods I've not had issues with the WebUI, and there are even people working on making replacement ones, like this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olNICFrj5aM&t=2s for the Memcard Pro 1. Which does show you what is on those individual memory cards. Hopefully this will be out soon as its a pretty nice and slick change for the UI. Which is completely open, they've stated before that anyone can make their own WebUI for these devices.

If you don't use GameID and don't have a device you can access the internet from on your person at all times (which I don't), these cards are kinda worthless - or, if you use channels only, a pain to use.

This is super hyperbole. I've used my PS1 version of these with out GameID since it came out and its been far from useless. I rarely if ever touch the WebUI for it. I copied all of my OG memory cards to it and just use the buttons to change between them.

I'm sitting over here bewildered that I'm apparently the only person with these issues - and that not a single online reviewer has said a negative thing about these cards or noticed these issues.

I just assume literally everyone uses GameID on everything, uses new saves, and just gets on with their life.

I don't know, most of the issues you've presented have solutions, and aren't deal breakers for most people. These cards are pretty straight forward and easy to use even with out GameID. You may also want to make sure you're on the latest firmwares and such.

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017
What about games that are apart of the same series but due to localization poo-poo they have completely different names...?

Like Disaster Report and Raw Danger? Do you make an exception and place them together or do you separate them?

Cathode Ray

Mar 30, 2024
NYC
Damn just sold Sin and Punishment on the Wii CIB for like $30 a few days ago. If I'd seen the discussion in this thread first I would've tried offering it in here.

Wii is indeed one of the best systems to collect for in my opinion. It is still pretty cheap as mentioned, but also there are just so many hidden gems that for the most part are still truly hidden. The way its library was dismissed wholesale by a lot of more "core gamer" type of enthusiasts in its heyday, led to a ton of very excellent games not getting much buzz.

Since people are talking about using the Wii as a light gun machine (great choice, library is insane, and in addition to Ghost Squad don't forget "Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns"), I do have two black Wii pistol grips similar to the Nyko above that work really well, if anyone is interested just message me and I can pass them along just for the cost of shipping.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Damn just sold Sin and Punishment on the Wii CIB for like $30 a few days ago. If I'd seen the discussion in this thread first I would've tried offering it in here.

Wii is indeed one of the best systems to collect for in my opinion. It is still pretty cheap as mentioned, but also there are just so many hidden gems that for the most part are still truly hidden. The way its library was dismissed wholesale by a lot of more "core gamer" type of enthusiasts in its heyday, led to a ton of very excellent games not getting much buzz.

Since people are talking about using the Wii as a light gun machine (great choice, library is insane, and in addition to Ghost Squad don't forget "Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns"), I do have two black Wii pistol grips similar to the Nyko above that work really well, if anyone is interested just message me and I can pass them along just for the cost of shipping.

Id actually be interested in that, If someone didn't hit you up yet. Was never big on the zapper

short pressing the right button will change channels and long pressing it will change memory cards.

There it is - that's what I was hoping there was a solution for.
But...how do you go back to a previous VMC? Just long press on the left button?
Just tried that and nothing seems to work.

If I can't go back to a previous memory card, then...this still really doesn't work for me.

It's not really that hard. I did it with my GC, PS2 saves. It takes some effort up front and then you don't even have to think about anything after that. I have 81 gamecube games, and 117 PS2 ones. On PS2 there is a script even to do it for you. You use uLaunchelf or similar to copy your original memory cards to a USB stick and then run the script and it will spit out individual folders properly named for all your PS2 games. Then you can just load games how ever you like and gameid just works.

Good to know - nothing I watched made it look that easy.
Well, honestly, none of that is remotely convenient, but it definitely doesn't sound difficult in comparison to other processes in modding.

However, I still absolutely need to be able to turn GameID off for discs only before it becomes useable for me again.
I want to keep things as original as possible - it's just easier to work with.

The Gamecube doesn't have that problem, thankfully.

Do tell how easy it is to load up raw memory card dumps from an OG memory card and browse the files on it.......... Out side of Memcard Rex for PS1, and VMU Explorer its not really super easy. Those programs exist outside of the MemCardPro, or VM2, or other solutions for getting original memory cards onto the PC.

My point was that the VM2 creator directly points you to the exact software you need to do it - very easy to use, pretty painless.
To me, it just seems like the MemCard Pro people should've had their own solution ready for it - or pointed to a way to do so.

Or just figure out some way of putting the proper naming conventions from the VMC onto the actual memory card.

This is super hyperbole. I've used my PS1 version of these with out GameID since it came out and its been far from useless. I rarely if ever touch the WebUI for it. I copied all of my OG memory cards to it and just use the buttons to change between them.

Well, I do not have PS1 version and, in my personal use, it has not been a particularly pleasant experience overall.
So it really hasn't been hyperbole at all in my personal experience.
It's just not fun or convenient to use - unless you want GameID for everything.

However, simply just figuring out how to change the VMC via buttons should help for sure.

There is no denying it is designed for specific use-case scenarios - and if you deviate from those scenarios, it's not a particularly fun experience at the moment. However, I appear to be the single and only person who deviated from these scenarios, so it probably doesn't matter.

None of these issues are dealbreakers, because there is literally nothing else to use instead of these cards.
I would gladly use and buy a different card if it worked closer to how I wanted.
The VM2 oddly provides a much closer experience to what I was hoping for out of these cards.

Anyways, my primary point is still that it concerns me that I see people everywhere instantly writing off the VM2, simply because they believe that the MemCard Pro 2 will magically be significantly better.
That's not how this scene should function - that's just blatant brand fanboyism...which we do admittedly see a lot of.

Granted, VM2 probably isn't the best example here - since it's expensive and has build-quality issues.
But, it is, honestly, a robust, very competent solution that currently exists. Thing is, it's robust in completely different ways than the MemCard Pro series. Like I said, who knows - I may end up getting the MemCard Pro VMU if it turns out to be all-around better. But, wow, people are really putting all their eggs in one basket.

I definitely appreciate you taking the time to respond - that was very helpful in clarifying a number of my concerns!

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
New piece added to the collection. Swapped out the case with some new cd's I got from a thrift store so the whole thing is basically brand new. Disc has zero scratches on it.

GMCHgS3WQAAF00p

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
made three heavy duty wood shelves and i'm starting to organize all my systems that I've fixed, cleaned, modded. Current mess:

9MzglmE.jpeg

Made three other little shelves (you can see them under on the floor). Trying to figure out a spot for those. Will be to hold carts.

This is in my basement. The other side of the wall is my theater. Above the system is my projector

Doing this makes me realize how much I hate the PS5. It's so freaking big. It barely fits vertically in a 16" high space. If I laid it down, it would take up so much space. And it's just weirdly shaped. The clear xbox shell is a system I bought from the UK that was broken. I gutted it for the shell and I'm going to put my buddy's old xbox guts in it, after I mod it.

current want list:

a working PS3 slim 2501 series. I have a dead 2000 series. And a dead 2501 which shouldn't really be able to YLOD from the ball issue. But it's still booting green light of death. I'm trying to syscon check it but it's not working.

Jaguar
32X
Turbo Grafx-16
Maybe a NeoGeo but I don't really need one.

I have a 3DO i'm RGB modding right now. Not shown.

Last edited: