• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
They're just working on Danky Kang 3
tumblr_inline_mqrh26jIU11qz4rgp.jpg

kingkaiser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Essen, Germany
Another one bites the dust...

Rare
Silicon Knights
Retro

Someone should update that infamous EA mass grave meme with how "well" western studios ended up being under Nintendo's 1st party umbrella

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they are all updating their linkedin accounts before the inevitable layoffs and closure of the studio happens

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The direct was fucking PACKED, Seriously what would you have cut?

Can´t see Retro fitting in there.
Lol wut

I would have cut 20 minutes of showing every single fucking character's final smash move. Amazingly, I don't give a shit if they changed the Wii Fit Trainer's face. Weird, right?

They could have said "Hey we are making a brand new Smash Bros game starring every single character plus Splatoon and Ridley. Please be excited." That would have saved everyone a whole lot of grief.

Oct 26, 2017
Got it. Looking at the glassdoor reviews (which might not be real) it looks like there's a problem with the management. Anyone got inside info on that?

Well I mean... Their lead game designer left the company and their creative director got demoted.

... So obviously Nintendo didn't love the job they were doing (Even though both are praised as legendary game designers and art directors, just maybe not leaders of a project).

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Nothing to see here. Now, those leakers that heard the same thing about the Star fox racing... Where are they? I was beyond hyped for that game...

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
All that BBQ doesn't cook itself. Be honest, Retro is living the dream, Taco Tuesdays, BBQ, Twitter trolling. We need not to worry. Their BBQ will turn out fine.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Star Fox missing from Direct was a weird surprise for me. I think it is something weird that could get announced at Treehouse. Not super likely though, I think they'll go smaller for anything they announce there.

The tweets... I think Retro just likes to do that lol. They love Halloween, they love some prime rib, etc etc.

Ubisoft did a pretty good job covering Starlink yesterday, dunno why Nintendo would need to repeat that.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I think in an effort to be more transparent with their fans, they should post pics of what they have for lunch everyday.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Their social media manager is just really annoying and never interacts honestly (or at all sometimes) with their fanbase.

Things went terribly for Retro the last several years and all their social media person does is troll.

It's honestly just a bad approach, they shouldn't have a Twitter account.

It cannot be overstated how %100 spot on this is.

I would seriously rather them just not respond, it's so fucking disingenuous at this point.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Another one bites the dust...

Rare
Silicon Knights
Retro

Someone should update that infamous EA mass grave meme with how "well" western studios ended up being under Nintendo's 1st party umbrella

Silicon Knights was never 1st party, they only had two games exclusive to a Nintendo platform. Rare was 2nd party.
What happened to both of those companies had nothing to do with Nintendo.

Last edited:

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got it. Looking at the glassdoor reviews (which might not be real) it looks like there's a problem with the management. Anyone got inside info on that?
We got nothing, and even if we did the amount of fake and inaccurate leaks surrounding Nintendo at all times would make identifying them really difficult.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Who really cares what retro does whe they dont have anything to show? I could care less

They're one of the best developers of this industry. Of course I care for what they are doing.

I mean, I would really appreciate if they have something to show before the E3 ends.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol wut

I would have cut 20 minutes of showing every single fucking character's final smash move. Amazingly, I don't give a shit if they changed the Wii Fit Trainer's face. Weird, right?

They could have said "Hey we are making a brand new Smash Bros game starring every single character plus Splatoon and Ridley. Please be excited." That would have saved everyone a whole lot of grief.

What!?

There is so much we still don't know.

They haven't shown the pause screen yet.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I hope Retro can recover. I feel bad for whatever turmoil they're going through. Nintendo would really benefit from having a strong Western studio. Speaking of which, hopefully Next Level can deliver after the disappointing Metroid Prime Federation Force because their other Nintendo titles have been solid to great.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the smash games (wii maybe?) was shown after the conference, so it's not like there's no precedent for Nintendo unveiling big games outside of their showcase in E3.
If they're going to announce stuff at the Treehouse it will likely be 3DS software. There was the one year they showed Codename Steam at its own event, but so far there hasn't been any mention of a closed door presentation from Nintendo this week.

I would say expect another Nintendo Direct in August or September, and that might have some more 2019 content in it. And then a dedicated Smash Direct in November.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
When you're not a Smash, Pokemon, or Fire Emblem fan, this E3 is quite painful.

So you think they're going to reveal the game Retro has been working on for the past 4.5 years during a Treehouse segment?

I don't think we'll ever see the game Retro started working on 5 years ago. We'll see Star Fox soon (which I don't think got a particularly long dev cycle) and that's it.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% convinced Retro Studios is in some kind of trouble.
I don't think that's even up for debate at this point. When a smaller studio goes 5 years radio silent, that's never a good thing.

It's one thing if you're working on the next Grand Theft Auto, as everyone understands those games take that long, but most developers don't take 5 years to make their next game.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Retro studios is no longer a games studio, instead, they were relegated to making meals for the rest of Nintendo, hence the barbeque, taco and all sort of food photos.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it is taco tuesday for them lol. They probably sitting at home enjoying a nice taco while watching RIDLEY IN SMASH OMG

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
The star fox thing was probably just the Ubi stuff right? Star Fox racing seemed like a stretch from the start, since MK came out so recently.

On topic, TF is one of the best platformers of all time, not sure where all this doom and gloom is coming from.