jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really would like to know what's the corporate climate inside Retro Studios. From the outside they seem like a silly fun bunch.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Just funny tweets. Really don't think this means anything beyond the fact that they have a sense of humor.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
If you finds these tweets weird, you must not spend much time on the internet.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually worried now about them, to be honest

Fuck them, it has been years since they have brought out anything. If Square-Enix had a twin, it's name would be Retro.

The fuck is wrong with you people? Fuck Retro because they're taking their time and trying to make something good? Grow up.

Also Taco Tuesday is very much a thing here in Austin, TX (meaning companies will often get taco catering or have food trucks). I think their response can be interpreted as "it's just another day in the office for us."

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
They're going to announce something very soon.

The Taco TUESDAY tweet indicates that it's today.

The second tweet shows a face on a hand. Face and hand are things you find on a clock. The thumb points directly up and the feet point directly down indicating that an announcement should come at 6pm.

Given that Retro is based in Texas, 6pm is in just over an hour from now.

This is gonna be huge.

Oct 25, 2017

The second tweet shows a face on a hand. Face and hand are things you find on a clock. The thumb points directly up and the feet point directly down indicating that an announcement should come at 6pm.

This is gonna be huge.
Why would they not show their game at E3 direct though if that is the case?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017

This is gonna be huge.

Watch this actually happen

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

This is gonna be huge.

Great

Oct 25, 2017

This is gonna be huge.
SnivelingDirectImperatorangel-max-1mb.gif

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017

This is gonna be huge.

giphy.gif

Jan 11, 2018

This is gonna be huge.

ITS HAPPENING! C'mon everyone, good vibes!

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Well, they really are the new rare, at least in rare's n64 era.

Amazing first person shooters
Donkey kong
Spinoff of Star Fox
?
The end

They do make similar types of games to the ones Rare used to make and the quality of their games may be up to par with Rare's (or maybe even better depending on who you ask), but they're not comparable to Rare in terms of productivity at all.

People really just meant how often we'd see projects from them.

People used to joke around about Rare taking forever to make games, but you know what's funny? Rare managed to release 11 games during the N64 generation alone. Retro has only released 5 games since 2002.

Even today's Rare makes games faster than Retro lol.

Jan 11, 2018
They do make similar types of games to the ones Rare used to make and the quality of their games may be up to par with Rare's (or maybe even better depending on who you ask), but they're not comparable to Rare in terms of productivity at all.

People used to joke around about Rare taking forever to make games, but you know what's funny? Rare managed to release 11 games during the N64 generation. Retro has only released 5 games since 2002.

Even Microsoft's Rare makes games faster than Retro lol.

Rare, in it's hayday, had multiple teams and hundreds of employees. After their original four games that were all cancelled for Metroid Prime, Retro has always been a one team studio. You can't really compare them in that way.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017

This is gonna be huge.

Don't do this to youself.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
They are in development hell. Probably fearing Nintendo execs losing patience and shutting the studio down. how do you not have anything to show after 5 years??
Was that just a lucky guess, or do you know someone at Retro? Or maybe you just read Glassdoor, because that's what former employees are saying, actually.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

This is gonna be huge.

Well.......you were wrong.

Dec 23, 2017
As I've said before retro is a least likely Nintendo developer I want to see something from. Like DKTF was a good game but they have to show more to impress me. I have no anticipation for whatever their next project is. They have to make me a fan and believer.

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I legitimately don't understand people's interest and attachment to this studio. I get that in the Gamecube era they were Nintendo's "mature" AAA western savior delivering fanboys from Celda, but that shit was 15+ years ago. None of those people have worked there for more than a decade. Their output since the Prime series (11 YEARS AGO BTW, since the last real entry) has been a couple 2D platformers, which while enjoyable, were ultimately quasi-remasters aping (pun intended) Rare's prior work, and should not have taken a major studio with significant first party investment 3+ years (each) to produce. Realistically, what do people expect from this studio at this point and why?

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately don't understand people's interest and attachment to this studio. I get that in the Gamecube era they were Nintendo's "mature" AAA western savior delivering fanboys from Celda, but that shit was 15+ years ago. None of those people have worked there for more than a decade. Their output since the Prime series (11 YEARS AGO BTW, since the last real entry) has been a couple 2D platformers, which while enjoyable, were ultimately quasi-remasters aping (pun intended) Rare's prior work, and should not have taken a major studio with significant first party investment 3+ years to produce. Realistically, what do people expect from this studio at this point?
Well, those quasi-remsters were infinitely better games than Rare's original work so even if you want to downplay them with that you can deny the the constant high quality products they've put out throughout the years.

The fact people didn't like them working on or being "stuck" on "fucking Donkey Kong" does not make the game quality turn to shit by default.

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, those quasi-remsters were infinitely better games than Rare's original work so even if you want to downplay them with that you can deny the the constant high quality products they've put out throughout the years.

The fact people didn't like them working on or being "stuck" on "fucking Donkey Kong" does not make the game quality turn to shit by default.

Don't get me wrong, their DKC's are strong (though I personally preferred Shovel Knight and Ori in terms of modern platformers), but I don't think most people have been making threads like this for the PAST FIVE E3's hoping they'll unveil DKC3 or some similar 2D take on Kirby, Yoshi, or whatever. What I was getting at is they have no modern track record, demonstrable talent, or perhaps even desire to make a contemporary 3D shooter, action/adv, action RPG, multiplayer RPG, 3D platformer, or whatever it is people expect out them. I am supposing few to none of the Prime teams still work there at this point, and a talent for making DKC's doesn't necessarily translate into producing AAA 3D games people are expecting by today's standards.

Last edited:

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
According to the latest post on Glassdoor, some employees are expecting Nintendo to shut the studio down. Obviously that's just one ex-employee's thoughts, but with the rumours of Nintendo being frustrated with Retro's progress on their 'other' game, it does make me wonder how things are over there.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, their DKC's are strong (though I personally preferred Shovel Knight and Ori in terms of modern platformers), but I don't think most people have been making threads like this for the PAST FIVE E3's hoping they'll unveil DKC3 or some similar 2D take on Kirby, Yoshi, or whatever.
Well of course not, what I'm saying is that people are excited about hearing more from them because of the guaranteed high quality they bring to the table with every release. And yes, Donkey Kong Country games count among those releases.

And about the "5 year in a row!" thing, well, game development takes time. The fact Nintendo secrecy is involved doesn't mean these guys and girls have been sitting on their hands all this time.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
According to the latest post on Glassdoor, some employees are expecting Nintendo to shut the studio down. Obviously that's just one ex-employee's thoughts, but with the rumours of Nintendo being frustrated with Retro's progress on their 'other' game, it does make me wonder how things are over there.

Hopefully this doesn't happen. It would be the most tragically bizarre thing that's ever happened in this industry.

Besides, Nintendo doesn't just outright shut their studios down, do they?

Jan 11, 2018

Nintendo recently tweeted about job openings at Retro a few weeks ago. They aint shutting them down anytime soon.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
Why does it feel like some of you are entitled to have answers from Retro ? If they don't want to communicate, they don't, move on.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when everybody called them Nintendo's new Rare?

Lol

Was never going to happen unless Nintendo actually invested in expanding the studio, which they haven't done for any of their western operations since Iwata took over. Rare was a signficnatly larger studio than Retro has ever been.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
the track record is flawless though

mp 1-3, dkcr, mk7, dkctf..

They may be the closest thing Nintendo has to a new Rare in terms of quality and style of games, but quantity wise? Hell to the no.

Was never going to happen unless Nintendo actually invested in expanding the studio, which they haven't done for any of their western operations since Iwata took over. Rare was a signficnatly larger studio than Retro has ever been.

Completely agree with you.